SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Popovic et al, 2015 - Cognitive tolerability following successful long term treatment of major depression and anxiety disorder...

dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

J Affect Disord. 2015 Mar;173:211-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2014.11.008. Epub 2014 Nov 15.
Cognitive tolerability following successful long term treatment of major depression and anxiety disorders with SSRi antidepressants
Dina Popovica
Eduard Vietaa
Michele Fornarob
Giulio Perugic

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25462418

Background

The present study aims to evaluate cognitive tolerability profile of SSRIs in long-term treatment. The secondary aim is to explore differences of side effects profile between patients with major depression (MD) and anxiety disorders (AD).

Methods

Sixty-seven consecutive patients, successfully treated with SSRIs in monotherapy for at least six months for MD or AD, were assessed for side effects, with a special focus on cognition.

Results

Over 20% of MD and AD patients in long term treatment with SSRIs reported cognitive symptoms including fatigue, inattentiveness, lack of concentration, memory impairment and apathy. Recall memory impairment, attention deficit and somnolence were most frequently rated as moderate or severe. There were no significant differences in SSRI cognitive side effects profile between MD and AD patients.

Limitations

Subjective measure of cognitive functioning, limited sample size, lack of a control group.

Conclusions

A large proportion of depressed and anxious patients treated successfully with SSRIs for over six months reported cognitive, affective, motivational symptoms. These symptoms are likely to represent SSRI side effects rather than residual depressive symptomatology.

Popovic - Cognitive tolerability of SSRI's.pdf

Edited by Altostrata
formatted for Journals

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy