SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fast acting antidepressants?

jthebrave

Although it goes against my better judgment, I am curious as to when the "new" fasting acting AD's are coming out and if they hold any promise for better, faster, and SAFER treatment options? Since ECT and TMS are out of the question for me right now...what other choice do people have to look at if they've tried all of the AD's on the market right now with little success???

• Moderator Emeritus

i had a little peek at your introductory thread jthebrave.... I am curious as to why you would think there could be new, safer pharmaceuticals coming out.....

your poor history with them should red flag you against taking any psycho active drug.

really, the safest treatment for you would be omega 3 and meditation (for all of us!)

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

i had a little peek at your introductory thread jthebrave.... I am curious as to why you would think there could be new, safer pharmaceuticals coming out.....

your poor history with them should red flag you against taking any psycho active drug.

really, the safest treatment for you would be omega 3 and meditation (for all of us!)

You're right, I doubt there will ever be safer pharmaceuticals unless the drug companies start listening to people and how badly their drugs affect patients like us. I highly doubt they'd ever do that. But I can still dream....can't I? I mean, the thought of something relieving depression and anxiety (Ketamine) in hours or days (with little side effects) is quite appealing. But there's always that catch that the drug companies fail to tell us about....

• Moderator Emeritus

The problem is, every new AD fixes a previously reported issue.. until it's been prescribed it long enough to show it doesn't.  Big Pharma has a lonnggg track record of this.  Beware of anything purported to be new.. so far, NOT.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

From the title, I thought the post was going to be about alcohol. Alas, no such luck.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

From the title, I thought the post was going to be about alcohol. Alas, no such luck.

hehehehehe... cute  Good to see you 'up and about'

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

lol, thanks Skyler

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman