AliG

Feeling better - green smoothies!

AliG   
AliG

I just wanted to let you guys know , I have been experimenting with green smoothies, in the morning and during the day and have been feeling so much better.   Apparently, all the nutrients go straight into the bloodstream, and are absorbed straight away.  Leafy greens are the most nutritious foods on the planet, so it makes sense, that an infusion of them into your system is going to make you feel good . There is no energy loss with digestion, which can be tiring to the system.  I see this as a "win, win ".  You are getting all the nutrients you need , and also in a way that the body can easily deal with.  I think this could be especially helpful to us, as it's natural and for those who have lost their appetites, it's like a liquid vitamin pill, that's easily tolerated , and immediately available for energy.   I think it's worth trying.

LoveandLight   
LoveandLight

Cannot stomach them..if I had a juicer and could afford would be green juicing like no tomorow! What do you put In yours?

AliG   
AliG

Hey Loveand light,  I'm using, 1 banana, 1 or 1/2 apple, 1 pear, spinach, juice of a lemon to cut the green taste, plus its alkaline.  Lot's of spinach!!  Instant energy and mood enhancer.  There are lot's of variations, if you can't tolerate anything. The main thing is to get mainly greens, with a little bit of fruit, to sweeten and it's immediately absorbed, to the body and brain. 

AliG   
AliG

P.S.  LoveandLight, you don't have to buy a juicer. If you have a blender of any sort , you can do this. The good thing is with smoothies, you get the fibre as well, which keeps the blood sugar stable. 

LoveandLight   
LoveandLight

Yes I don't like the texture of smoothies..I really don't like but if it might help..then I might give it another go..I love green juice though..

AliG   
AliG

LoveandLIght, Glad you're on here.  Give it a go . Don't close your mind.  It really could help.

AliG   
AliG

Yes, about 1 cup  mineral water, or you can add almond milk , but its better with water.   Let me know how you go.   Sorry , forgot to mention the water. I also ad a bit of stevia to sweeten further, but you don,t have to . I get the pure Stevia, from the health food store.  You can also add lecithin , which is good for the brain.

compsports   
compsports

I have been eating 3 cups of spinach per day as part of my 3/19 pre surgical diet.  Because I want to increase the amount of vegetables, including spinach, I am going to start making smoothies.  Glad they are working for you.

AliG   
AliG

Thanks Compsports. I hope it works for you also. It can be any green leafy vegetable - kale, endive, romaine lettuce. These are the most nutrient dense foods, which can be hard to eat , but in a smoothie, you don,t taste them.  I find it's a good way of getting them into your diet.

Sparrow   
Sparrow

I got a refurbished Vitamix in January and started daily green smoothies. My basic formula is spinach, celery, carrot, cucumber, parsley + apple, banana, cantaloupe + ginger root, lemon juice. Recently I started adding a scoop of whey protein powder and a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil, so it's really a complete meal. There are many days when I just can't deal with food and this makes it so easy to stay well-nourished. I really love the taste, sort of clean and refreshing.

Meimeiquest   
Meimeiquest

Not to be gross, but the other thing that was amazing for me nutrient-wise was liver. Grass-fed, cooked in coconut oil with onions, lots of mustard. IMO, once you've forced yourself through that, you really have tried "everything" to get well.

Rhiannon   
Rhiannon

Just a note: I think we have at least one other thread on green smoothies, and some people have found they aggravate symptoms and are too stimulating.

So if anyone wants to try this, I would recommend, like with anything you try in withdrawal (be it supplements, or exercise, or dietary changes): start small, see how your body reacts, then work up.

AliG   
AliG

I totally agree. It's best to start slowly, as with anything we try. The good thing  about this is it's completely natural. It's food, in a different form.  I think it's very healing for the body and therefore, the mind.   It is working for me and wanted to share that.  Obviously, it's not for everyone, bit it's  a tool some can use., in their quest for health and recovery.

Petunia   
Petunia

Just a note: I think we have at least one other thread on green smoothies, and some people have found they aggravate symptoms and are too stimulating.

Yes, that was me. But I'm able to tolerate them now. I switched the whey protein to pea protein and make one every second day. This is what goes into mine:

Rice milk, filtered water, organic pea protein with natural vanilla flavor and stevia, raw almonds and pumpkin seeds, kale, celery, a few blueberries, sometimes fresh ginger, half a teaspoon of organic molasses and I just started adding quarter teaspoon of MSM, but I can't remember why.

I think the whey protein may have been my problem previously.

WiggleIt   
WiggleIt

My mom makes me a similar green smoothie, blended a lot so it's not thick.  She puts in spinach, celery, cucumber, apple, lemon, and water.

Plus, she makes me a smoothie with milk and bananas everyday, and sometimes adds blueberry.

Luis54   
Luis54

Very nice post!! I am also so much obsessed with smoothies and keep experimenting with recipes. Last weekend I tried a Green drink recipe. My kids loved its taste and were forcing me to make that again for them.

Cressida   
Cressida

So if anyone wants to try this, I would recommend, like with anything you try in withdrawal (be it supplements, or exercise, or dietary changes): start small, see how your body reacts, then work up.

Yep. Someone bought me a Nutribullet and I was thinking the all natural healthy things and after 3 days I was hurled back into acute took months to get back on track with recovery and someone else on the other thread had same problem. I think I used too much delicious fruit and my brain can't tolerate sugar. Its left me sensitised and there is so much in the way of veg I can't tolerate and I don't eat fruit at all. I have lots of fruit trees in my garden and have been gathering the organic plums, pears and apples I now can't eat.

Obviously many people can drink them and am jealous. But if you are new to them I agree start cautiously and keep the natural sugar content low

leahy   
leahy

Great post, AliG. I love green smoothie! I wish I had one now.  Kale, spinach, cucumber, apple, celery and ginger mixed with ginger gizer (liquid) or water. Any variation of those ingredients works for me. I use a Nutrabullet or a blender. Haven't wanted to spend for the Vitamix or other fancy blender quite yet.

The hardest part is making myself go to the store for fresh ingredients. I use organic as much as possible. 

Prohealer   
Prohealer

Tried this recipe today. Absolutely loved it, thanks for the idea AliG!

reachingforthestars   
reachingforthestars

I wanted to warn you that dont't eat grapefruit! This is from AntidepressantsFacts:

"Avoid Grapefruit Juice. Grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of the cytochrome P-450 enzymes. These enzymes are known to metabolise (break down) (SSRI) antidepressants in the liver. Drinking grapefruit juice whilst you are taking an (SSRI) antidepressant can create a serious toxic reaction, because the (SSRI) antidepressant will build to toxic levels in the bloodstream!"

Lakelander82   
Lakelander82

I have tried them for a number of days but get fed up of the taste after a while. I've read some warnings about eating kale/spinach raw because of the oxalate content. Couldn't tell you anything about their validity.

There is a school of thought as well that we we were provided with teeth for a reason and that was to chew up our food for example eating a whole piece of fruit releases far less sugar than if that same piece of fruit was blitzed up in a blender.

AliG   
AliG

Thank you for raising a good point .
As we all know greens have an endless array of health benefits.
However certain foods such as kale, spinach, beets, nuts, brans and even chocolate are known for their higher levels of oxalates.
Some people can be more susceptible to oxalic acid and have been linked to issues such as 'nephrolithiasis' causing issues such as kidney stones when taken in large doses.

However, if anyone one is worried there are ways to mitigate the effects of oxalates in your diet.

Studies have shown that calcium appears to bind oxalate in the gut lumen, drastically reducing its absorption into the body.

Thus simply by adding supplements such as calcium carbonate or magnesium oxide to your smoothie, the ability for the detrimental effects of oxalic aid is reduced substantially. Please see link below.

Lets remember we are talking about natures super foods here, so this is a last resort for the minority that may be worried.

http://journals.lww.com/topicsinclinicalnutrition/Abstract/2002/03000/Contribution_of_Dietary_Oxalate_to_Urinary_Oxalate.10.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1455427/

JanCarol   
JanCarol

Thanks for this, Ali!

My smoothies - I have them twice a week after exercise, to get nutrition in right away instead of a cooked dinner.

I put in apple, protein powder (right now it's an ancient grains one with green powder in it), red powder (until I ran out)

My last one was kale and beet.

Tonight's will be fresh rasperries and banana.

I also add nuts.  Nuts contain important minerals and EFA's for recovery.  Sunflower seeds (lecithin, magnesium), almonds (magnesium), brazil nuts (selenium), LSA flour (EFA's & lecithin), pepitos (hormone balance), etc.

I make it on 1 cup coconut water, 1 cup coconut milk, so it is creamy and thick.  Add the nuts first, and let them soak for a few minutes as you add the other ingredients.  Soaking nuts makes them "activated," and the nutrients more absorbable.

You can also add spices to "tune" it to your own health:

cinnamon - blood sugar

turmeric - inflammation, tri-dosha*

ginger - digestion, 

cardamon - tri-dosha* - grind it first from fresh!

vanilla - mood

*tri-dosha is an Auryvedic term which means "good for all body types" tonic.

I use my special Biohawk ginger powder (a Queensland product, I don't know if you can get it overseas)

I love these, and hubby loves "smoothie night" as he can eat like a bachelor man - all the things like meat pies and sausage rolls and pizzas that I can no longer have (and no longer want - well - except for the pizza.  I think I would sell my soul for a pizza, at times).

powerback   
powerback

Bought myself a juicer recently and I can only report benefits so far .once we finally see the light and give up on the doctors and there prescription pad ,I believe the only way forward is nutrition .

Happy2Heal   
Happy2Heal

Bought myself a juicer recently and I can only report benefits so far .once we finally see the light and give up on the doctors and there prescription pad ,I believe the only way forward is nutrition .

I agree, nutrition and exercise!

I just tried a smoothie, I have a little blender without much power so I put all the ingredients in my food processor first, then into the blender to make them smoother

I used one orange, one banana, one cup of frz blueberries, and 1/2 cup each spinach and romaine lettuce. It feels odd to drink something this cold on a cold day but it's tasty.

I think I will try some others

Kalinia   
Kalinia

For those that do not like the texture, try adding frozen bananas. Makes it more like a milk shake

KarenB   
KarenB

I just posted this in the 'sugar cravings' thread, and thought it should go here too.  People are finding that regularly drinking green smoothies works to prevent sugar cravings in the first place:  http://www.irmaschut...-naughty-treats

'When you consume enough raw, green leafy plants, your blood sugar levels WILL stabilise. Get that sorted and you’ll be less likely to reach for your creamy chocolate, biscuit, donut or ice cream.'

There are recipes for green smoothies and explanations for how it all works in the link above.  I like the idea of not having (or lessening) the cravings in the first place, rather than struggle with them daily.  Now I just have to get off my butt and go pick some greens :).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had also heard warnings about not eating raw greens, but on further reading it seems that some people tolerate them and some don't.  So if you try the smoothies and have no trouble digesting them, then fine.  If they do give you issues, you can stop. 

dj2010   
dj2010

so went out and bought lots organic fruits and vegetables yesterday and started green smoothies, Ive just made another one now, the body and brain needs proper nutrition if its going to heal I think, I am certain it will speed the whole recovery process up,

smoothie i have just made contains:

1 banana

loads of organic spinach

organic broccoli (read that broccoli is a excellent brain healer)

organic blue berries (another excellent brain healer apparently)

some mixed salad 

and used 100% orange juice instead of water

it actually tastes really good

powerback   
powerback

Be careful of too much fructose [sugar] in your smoothies ,not bursting bubbles :) ,good on ye keep it up ,and to save money you can cut down on other things because you doing the smoothie .

PB

Edited by scallywag
deleted quote of immediately previous post for readability

dj2010   
dj2010

will be careful PB, we have to be careful of everything at the moment, going to make another smoothie now as cant eat a meal, not had a meal in 2 days now, take care

Edited by scallywag
deleted quote of immediately previous post for readability