squirrel

Alcohol & withdrawal syndrome

tinker4

Has anyone ever drank while on an antidepressant like Brintellix? How does it react with alcohol? Is it safe?

ChessieCat

Hi tinker4, welcome to SA,

You are welcome to start an Intro/Update topic Read This First & Introductions and updates

Drinking alcohol whilst taking antidepressants or antipsychotics is not recommended:

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

Moderate vortioxetine food

Applies to: Brintellix (vortioxetine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of vortioxetine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with vortioxetine.

brassmonkey

Hi tinker-- Drinking while taking ADs is not a good idea.  Been there, done that, almost destroyed my life.  There are several things to keep in mind, the first as CC pointed out is the interaction between the drug and alcohol.  Frequently the drug will intensify the effects of the alcohol while the alcohol can decrease the effectiveness of the drug.  The drug can mask the negative effects of alcohol such as the hangover or the realization that you've had too much.  The drugs also lower ones inhibitions and dull ones common sense leading to risky activities and binging.  And the big one is that many of these drugs actually increase a persons craving for alcohol to an extreme extent, making it very easy to consume way more than what is healthy or polite.

Once a person is tapering off of these drugs and is having WD symptoms the whole thing can switch very quickly. To the point that one can of beer or glass of wine can give you the hangover from h*** for several weeks and set off a bad wave of WD symptoms.  We have a large number of members that have experienced this first hand.

So after all of that the short answer is: Don't do it.

Junglechicken

I don't touch alcohol as I am too sensitive to it.

Toulouse

I can no longer drink alcohol of any kind now. I get a really bad wave that last for days after I've had a few drinks.  I have cut it out of my life entirely and do not miss it.  I have no desire to start drinking again, even when / if I am fully healed.

Mimi11

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone else in WD has noticed that they don't get the same 'buzz' from drinking alcohol? I'm not a heavy drinker, but enjoy a few glasses of wine etc. I don't get the buzzed/drunk feeling, just feel tired. I'm 6 months into WD. 

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

Mimi11

I imagine this has something to do with dopamine levels. Any insight/thoughts?

SkyBlue

Not sure -- but from what I've read, it's best to avoid alcohol during WD whenever possible. Unless you're not having any symptoms? 

Shep

I had some issues with alcohol about 25 years ago when I was more likely to come off and on meds, and there seems to be a reason that some people drink more on SSRIs. There's an article on the Rsk.org site (Dr. David Healy's site):

Driven To Drink: Antidepressants and Cravings for Alcohol

Perhaps it's increasing the tolerance level, and for some people, causing more cravings. I've also read about this happening with people on benzos, too, especially since alcohol also acts on GABA receptors just like benzos. 

Even for a long time after we're off these drugs, it's possible we can still suffer consequences. 

Mjau

Personally I have become more sensitive to alcohol (and caffeine as well). I get tired very quickly and my wd symptoms worsen. Alcohol feels like poison to me nowadays so I avoid it.

I used to be on Wellbutrin. What happened a few times shortly after cutting doses was that I had alcohol cravings. I have never ever before had alcohol cravings so it was really weird and scary! And my alcohol consumption has always been low!

Mimi11

Thanks everyone. I just miss that buzz! Will watch my intake, which is minimal anyways. Hope the buzz returns :)

marie123

Like Brassmonkey stated about I have "the hangover from hell". I drank much to much a couple of days ago and I still feel hungover. I'm nauseous, dizzy, etc.  I had 2 sangrias and wine. I wanted to feel normal again I guess. I was never a drinker and I do notice now that I sometimes crave a glass of wine. I will never touch alcohol again until I am safely off all meds. I just reinstated a 6 weeks ago and I further destabilized myself. I'm trying to drink lots of water to flush it out. Any other suggestions?

Marie

Cressida

Alcohol is even less safe when you are off meds

gonzi

Hello,

I am new to this forum and using antidepressants. I am currently tapering olanzapine..

I want to ask you guys a question which i read somewhere about alcohol consumption and antidepressant usage.

In a forum which i don`t remember right now, someone says that alcohol and antidepressants are metabolized with the same enzime in the liver. Therefore, if you drink a lot of alcohol while taking lets say Paxil, it is metabolized much faster than it should and the person is almost like in cold turkey withdrawal. 

Does this make any sense ?

I realized if i drink, my symptoms gets much worse in the morning and the following 3 or 4 days 

BR, 

Gonzi

scallywag

Gonzi, different medications are metabolized through different liver enzymes and this is often the cause of harmful drug interaction symptoms. This may occur between some medications and alcohol. With psych meds the issue seems to be that alcohol acts on the CNS (central nervous system). When we're reducing doses of psych meds we are making small changes that are potentially destabilizing changes to the CNS. Adding another CNS-destabilizing substance such as alcohol increases the risk of worsening symptoms or of adding symptoms.

powerback

Hi tinker-- Drinking while taking ADs is not a good idea.  Been there, done that, almost destroyed my life.  There are several things to keep in mind, the first as CC pointed out is the interaction between the drug and alcohol.  Frequently the drug will intensify the effects of the alcohol while the alcohol can decrease the effectiveness of the drug.  The drug can mask the negative effects of alcohol such as the hangover or the realization that you've had too much.  The drugs also lower ones inhibitions and dull ones common sense leading to risky activities and binging.  And the big one is that many of these drugs actually increase a persons craving for alcohol to an extreme extent, making it very easy to consume way more than what is healthy or polite.

Once a person is tapering off of these drugs and is having WD symptoms the whole thing can switch very quickly. To the point that one can of beer or glass of wine can give you the hangover from h*** for several weeks and set off a bad wave of WD symptoms.  We have a large number of members that have experienced this first hand.

So after all of that the short answer is: Don't do it.

Totally agree brassmonkey about the alcohol,I'm 2 years sober and drinking was much worse on the drugs.I am very aware I'm lucky to escape this period of my life.

Ihateeffexor

I was recovering for 3 months and feeling better each day. Then I had some alcohol with friends (3-4 glasses of wine) twice, four days apart and after the second time all my symtoms came back, 10x worse. I've now been bedridden for a month, I'm in a terrible shape, and getting worse each day. Can this have caused permanent damage?.. I am so worried and scared right now.. 

brassmonkey

Small amounts of alcohol have a bad habit of derailing a good recovery.  The "hangover" frequently will start a few days after the drinking and can last for several weeks before it starts to clear up.  Given time things should return to their predrink state and you will continue to recover.  It's really scary to get derailed like that, but it ends up being just a small setback.

powerback
2 hours ago, Ihateeffexor said:

I was recovering for 3 months and feeling better each day. Then I had some alcohol with friends (3-4 glasses of wine) twice, four days apart and after the second time all my symtoms came back, 10x worse. I've now been bedridden for a month, I'm in a terrible shape, and getting worse each day. Can this have caused permanent damage?.. I am so worried and scared right now.. 

HI IHE ,I wouldn't focus on damage that cant be proven but you know yourself you will have to stay away from alcohol ,this recovery will probably be the most serious personal journey you and all of us will go through,it has to be taken extremely serious .I don't think I would of had the strength to get this far if I didn't  give up alcohol .I gave it up before withdrawal hit me .stay away from the alcohol and learn the non drug techniques and give yourself time ,I know its  painful but don't loose hope ,you will get there .

PB

Ihateeffexor

Thank you Brassmonkey and powerback. I sincerely hope so, I had more than just a small amount the first night, I did drink quite a lot but I hope it won't set me back or derail me too much. I'll definitely give up alcohol, I am done with this forever I think. I don't want to feel this way ever again in the future. This is absolutely insane. Thank you both for being so kind and replying to me! 

ImadB

I was feeling better and stabilizing in December 2016 after one month of horrible Wds....then I drank on new years, I got a bit drunk but wasn't feeling bad. 6 days later I drank some wine with friends and ever since that night my general health have slowly declined (I am homebound since months) and I haven't had a window or stabilized yet. Does this mean that I am doomed Brassmonkey? I was not aware of how sensitive I was. I haven't got any hope left.. I think I must have made some serious harm to my brain cuz I am feeling worse every day. 10 months not a single day feeling better.. I hate myself for this. 

sketch-1509437215563.png

powerback
11 hours ago, Ihateeffexor said:

Thank you Brassmonkey and powerback. I sincerely hope so, I had more than just a small amount the first night, I did drink quite a lot but I hope it won't set me back or derail me too much. I'll definitely give up alcohol, I am done with this forever I think. I don't want to feel this way ever again in the future. This is absolutely insane. Thank you both for being so kind and replying to me! 

your welcome IHE .you might be able to help recovery by cutting out all sugar and processed foods and get the best quality animal products you can afford .I personally am 11 days into a plant based wholefoods diet but only time and in a couple of weeks will tell if there's a difference in me .

Take care .

PB

brassmonkey

Hi IMB-- my first thought was "my that was quick" I just left an answer to your pm to ask the question here on a thread.  Then I read the time stamp.  Anyway.  First off, don't hate yourself for what you're going through.  A New Years celebration and followup should not have caused this much trouble.  A few weeks would be much more like it.  Getting off of these drugs successfully is a very slow and controlled process.  From reading your signature and description of what happened, what you're feeling now is more than likely from back to back too fast tapers. It will take some time but things will start improving and recovery is possible. We recommend a 10% taper to minimize the symptoms WD will produce. It may still be possible to do a very small reinstatement to take the edge off of the symptoms.  We'll have to get some more information to help determine that.

ImadB

Hello again Brassmonkey. Thank you, you're very kind and I want to believe your words. Yeah, I didn't know that at the time, I would have done that if I'd know.  Ok, so a reinstatement.  I am 11 months off so I guess there's a small risk of a bad reaction now.  Do you think it could help me recover? or would it only prolong my recovery to do a small reinstatement? I mean, could a small reinstatement actually (help)  my brain recover, or would it only be a relief for the moment? Sorry for all the questions, I suffer a really bad cog fog atm and I'm trying my best to read about others experiences but it's very, very hard. Have a good day Brassm and thank you. 

brassmonkey

Hi IMB-- Unfortunately being 11 months out does make it harder for an RI to go smoothly, but we do have many people who have done it successfully.  It won't speed up the recovery much, but it should take the edge off the symptoms so it doesn't hurt as badly.  We really understand the cog fog affect, I fight with it all the time.  It would be a good idea to repost your questions about reinstatement on your intro thread.  That way you'll have a record of the answers for future reference and more of the mods will see it and be able to add more information.

Miko789
On 4/1/2016 at 12:22 AM, tinker4 said:

Has anyone ever drank while on an antidepressant like Brintellix? How does it react with alcohol? Is it safe?

Alcohol will make a bad reaction with antidepressants, that's for sure.

ChessieCat
3 hours ago, Miko789 said:

Alcohol will make a bad reaction with antidepressants, that's for sure.

If you use Drug Interactions Checker and type in your psychiatric drug/s and alcohol there are usually cautions about combining them.

ImadB

Can a night's drinking for someone in wd have the same effect as kindling or adverse reaction? Can it set back and make recovery take years like in a adverse reaction?