squirrel

My drugs, withdrawal, and alcohol

tinker4

Has anyone ever drank while on an antidepressant like Brintellix? How does it react with alcohol? Is it safe?

ChessieCat

Hi tinker4, welcome to SA,

You are welcome to start an Intro/Update topic Read This First & Introductions and updates

Drinking alcohol whilst taking antidepressants or antipsychotics is not recommended:

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

Moderate vortioxetine food

Applies to: Brintellix (vortioxetine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of vortioxetine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with vortioxetine.

brassmonkey

Hi tinker-- Drinking while taking ADs is not a good idea.  Been there, done that, almost destroyed my life.  There are several things to keep in mind, the first as CC pointed out is the interaction between the drug and alcohol.  Frequently the drug will intensify the effects of the alcohol while the alcohol can decrease the effectiveness of the drug.  The drug can mask the negative effects of alcohol such as the hangover or the realization that you've had too much.  The drugs also lower ones inhibitions and dull ones common sense leading to risky activities and binging.  And the big one is that many of these drugs actually increase a persons craving for alcohol to an extreme extent, making it very easy to consume way more than what is healthy or polite.

Once a person is tapering off of these drugs and is having WD symptoms the whole thing can switch very quickly. To the point that one can of beer or glass of wine can give you the hangover from h*** for several weeks and set off a bad wave of WD symptoms.  We have a large number of members that have experienced this first hand.

So after all of that the short answer is: Don't do it.

Junglechicken

I don't touch alcohol as I am too sensitive to it.

Toulouse

I can no longer drink alcohol of any kind now. I get a really bad wave that last for days after I've had a few drinks.  I have cut it out of my life entirely and do not miss it.  I have no desire to start drinking again, even when / if I am fully healed.

Mimi11

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone else in WD has noticed that they don't get the same 'buzz' from drinking alcohol? I'm not a heavy drinker, but enjoy a few glasses of wine etc. I don't get the buzzed/drunk feeling, just feel tired. I'm 6 months into WD. 

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

Mimi11

I imagine this has something to do with dopamine levels. Any insight/thoughts?

SkyBlue

Not sure -- but from what I've read, it's best to avoid alcohol during WD whenever possible. Unless you're not having any symptoms? 

Shep

I had some issues with alcohol about 25 years ago when I was more likely to come off and on meds, and there seems to be a reason that some people drink more on SSRIs. There's an article on the Rsk.org site (Dr. David Healy's site):

Driven To Drink: Antidepressants and Cravings for Alcohol

Perhaps it's increasing the tolerance level, and for some people, causing more cravings. I've also read about this happening with people on benzos, too, especially since alcohol also acts on GABA receptors just like benzos. 

Even for a long time after we're off these drugs, it's possible we can still suffer consequences. 

Mjau

Personally I have become more sensitive to alcohol (and caffeine as well). I get tired very quickly and my wd symptoms worsen. Alcohol feels like poison to me nowadays so I avoid it.

I used to be on Wellbutrin. What happened a few times shortly after cutting doses was that I had alcohol cravings. I have never ever before had alcohol cravings so it was really weird and scary! And my alcohol consumption has always been low!

Mimi11

Thanks everyone. I just miss that buzz! Will watch my intake, which is minimal anyways. Hope the buzz returns :)

marie123

Like Brassmonkey stated about I have "the hangover from hell". I drank much to much a couple of days ago and I still feel hungover. I'm nauseous, dizzy, etc.  I had 2 sangrias and wine. I wanted to feel normal again I guess. I was never a drinker and I do notice now that I sometimes crave a glass of wine. I will never touch alcohol again until I am safely off all meds. I just reinstated a 6 weeks ago and I further destabilized myself. I'm trying to drink lots of water to flush it out. Any other suggestions?

Marie

Cressida

Alcohol is even less safe when you are off meds

theloneranger86

I used to love beer and the feeling it gave me. I cant feel alcohol in my brain anymore. It does nothing except making me lethargic the next day and it lingers for a week or so.

I think it also takes away from my recovery.

Has anyone else felt the same ? Do you ever regain the fun from alcohol 

powerback

I personaly gave up alcohol 2 years ago and its the best thing i did,for me i think its less hassle to b worrying about hangovers and the exspense that comes with alcohol.

I will admit that I was mostly a binge drinker and that will cause more issues than an occasional few drinks.

I believe the fact I am putting so much energy and time into recovery from these drugs that I barely think about alcohol and I can only report benefits.

I am even going to travel soon to help someone close to me stay off alcohol and find a healthier and less destructive way to deal with things head on.[have to fly and I've got extreme anxiety with stress].

Take care and good luck in your recovery. 

theloneranger86

I cant wait to get that feeling back . I just dont know what to do about this . Everything good in my life is pretty much gone . I have sexual dysfunction , loss of emotions  - i cant feel good anymore. 

Its so frustrating I cant do anything about this. No pill is going to resolve this. fml

Cookson

I haven't touched alcohol in nearly a year. No point giveing myself a drug that will hinder my recovery. I Remember the euphoria It used too give me before all of this. When I last drank some it left me tired and flat with an uncomfortable inner restlessness.

Kalinia

I truly believe alcohol will only set any of us so far back and be incredibly damaging. I believe this for non WD suffered as well, but especially in our state.. No way.

Kalinia

Are you able to maybe check out a new hobby? Have you heard of geocaching? I know how hard it can be to learn to have fun outside of alcohol sometimes.. But it can be done! Even if it's only while you are in WD recovery.

Mimi11

Yes, I've had the same feeling and posted about it a few months ago. How far into withdrawal are you loneranger86? Do you have any other WD symptoms? Things are evolving every couple of weeks for me. I have to believe these are signs of healing.

theloneranger86

Yes, I've had the same feeling and posted about it a few months ago. How far into withdrawal are you loneranger86? Do you have any other WD symptoms? Things are evolving every couple of weeks for me. I have to believe these are signs of healing.

Hey Mimi11

Yea I have several other symptoms. The most debilitating ones being emotional anhedonia and sexual dysfunction .

What other symptoms are you going through ?

PS: Im completely off poison

Mimi11

How long have you been off of it? Which drug? I'm 16 months off of Celexa. I have neuro-emotions, some depression, sporadic digestive issues, numbness and tingling in my limbs. Sexually not 100% yet either. 

theloneranger86

How long have you been off of it? Which drug? I'm 16 months off of Celexa. I have neuro-emotions, some depression, sporadic digestive issues, numbness and tingling in my limbs. Sexually not 100% yet either. 

Iv been off these drugs for about 6/7 months .. but every time I drink I set back my recovery a few months I feel. 

Another thing that sets it back is masturbation, sorry to be explicit 

Mimi11

Since I don't get the enjoyment from alcohol at the moment, I haven't been drinking much either. Probably a good thing. I haven't noticed any correlation between masturbation and setbacks though. Things don't feel quite how they used to, but there is still some pleasure for sure.

Junglechicken

Haven't touched alcohol in nearly a decade.

It's way too toxic and harmful to my healing. Feels like acid in my stomach anyway.

Don't miss it either.

sadandconfused

Hey guys, hope everyone's doing good. Has anyone had strange effects with mixing Lexapro and alcohol? I've been tapering and I'm down to 4.5mg now and the other night me and a bunch of my friends went out and i thought what the hell, I'll have a couple drinks. And I had two large margaritas and the next day I felt awful. Like a very strange, could barely even get out of bed kinda tired, not hungover at all. It's been 4 days and it hasn't gotten better. I'm literally fighting my sleep at work right now. I'm so tired and cannot focus and my brain just feels very off. More off than normal. Can the alcohol with Lexapro do this?!

Junglechicken

Hey guys, hope everyone's doing good. Has anyone had strange effects with mixing Lexapro and alcohol? I've been tapering and I'm down to 4.5mg now and the other night me and a bunch of my friends went out and i thought what the hell, I'll have a couple drinks. And I had two large margaritas and the next day I felt awful. Like a very strange, could barely even get out of bed kinda tired, not hungover at all. It's been 4 days and it hasn't gotten better. I'm literally fighting my sleep at work right now. I'm so tired and cannot focus and my brain just feels very off. More off than normal. Can the alcohol with Lexapro do this?!

Alcohol and Lexapro (or any ADs) for that matter don't mix.

But also, I've never had any desire to put anything "toxic" into my body since being stuck on ADs.

Last week I stopped consuming refined sugar and yeast as well.

IrishMonkey92

I've always been baffled by how I survived 5 months after a cold turkey (basically 4 weeks rapid taper) of an SSRI without many of my major symptoms that I suffer with now. I went from 40mg - 0mg over the course of August 2015. 

Around the end of September I began to experience shooting pains in my head (I guess these were brain zaps) along with a white dot flying across my vision every so often. Then I had shooting pains in my chest and a few dizzy spells. Then a month or two later I started getting anxious and getting palpitations when drinking alcohol. Then 5 months off I had a heavy night of drinking and woke up feeling very weird (dream like), when I went to the toilet I felt like I was free falling - that made me panic and cue my first ever panic attack (felt like a stroke). Then I started getting my main symptom which has stuck with me till now 15 months later - this swaying/rocking/off balance sensation, tinnitus, floaters etc. 

Has anyone experienced minimal withdrawal symptoms and didn't even know they were in withdrawal and then got hit with a huge symptoms that far out from stopping?

Can anyone relate to this? I think its withdrawal for periods of time, then other times I think perhaps its something else. 

Madison1

I went CT from and SSRI and immediately started taking Prozac. I think that masked some of my symptoms so I had some immediate tingling, depression, etc but the headache and off balance feeling comes in waves. I didn't have my first symptom until about 5 months after. Here I am almost 3 years later in the middle of another episode/wave. 

IrishMonkey92

I went CT from and SSRI and immediately started taking Prozac. I think that masked some of my symptoms so I had some immediate tingling, depression, etc but the headache and off balance feeling comes in waves. I didn't have my first symptom until about 5 months after. Here I am almost 3 years later in the middle of another episode/wave. 

Thank you for the reply. Did anything provoke your symptoms at 5 months at all? Like mine being alcohol. 

Any you any better at 3 years now? How long were you on the drug you CT'd from? How would you best describe your off balance sensation? 

Madison1

Yes....a major life change and emotional stress. It was very emotional for me. In the process I moved across the country too with my three kids. I am better now at 3 years BUT have the waves of symptoms. I've had this one since September off and on. Mostly tension headache feeling, eyes off a little, I feel like I'm buzzed or drunk with the off balance feeling. I was on Paxil and Cymbalta for about three years. I am very sensitive to medicine. I've never smoked, done any drugs and I don't drink. 

anongrl5590

Hey IrishMonkey - 

I CT'd from Prozac after a year of using it and after one month of feeling ok, I suddenly got hit with minimal WD symptoms (brain zaps and hot flushes) with the windows/wave pattern. However, that suddenly changed and I got worse and worse with more symptoms adding up. I am  about 5.5 months out from my CT and the symptoms have morphed since the beginning and i don't get the windows/waves pattern anymore. I also get tinnitus that comes and goes and the very annoying eye floaters. My main symptoms right now are the burning brain, pins and needles, buzzing everywhere, chest tightness, and severe teeth and gums pain... I heard that if you did not have these symptoms before the drug, than it is due to withdrawal

theloneranger86

I do . I miss that feeling everyday . I want to be back to enjoying my beer and having sex and everything I ever loved doing. Its like everything that I like is not a part of my life anymore. 

Why can't I ever find one single person who recovered from this ****. No one I ask has ever recovered from sexual dysfunction or this feeling of never being able to enjoy alcohol post quitting.

gonzi

Hello,

I am new to this forum and using antidepressants. I am currently tapering olanzapine..

I want to ask you guys a question which i read somewhere about alcohol consumption and antidepressant usage.

In a forum which i don`t remember right now, someone says that alcohol and antidepressants are metabolized with the same enzime in the liver. Therefore, if you drink a lot of alcohol while taking lets say Paxil, it is metabolized much faster than it should and the person is almost like in cold turkey withdrawal. 

Does this make any sense ?

I realized if i drink, my symptoms gets much worse in the morning and the following 3 or 4 days 

BR, 

Gonzi

scallywag

Gonzi, different medications are metabolized through different liver enzymes and this is often the cause of harmful drug interaction symptoms. This may occur between some medications and alcohol. With psych meds the issue seems to be that alcohol acts on the CNS (central nervous system). When we're reducing doses of psych meds we are making small changes that are potentially destabilizing changes to the CNS. Adding another CNS-destabilizing substance such as alcohol increases the risk of worsening symptoms or of adding symptoms.