Olson 2006 Environmental enrichment and voluntary exercise massively increase neurogenesis

Phil

I wasn't sure where to post this. I've been reading a few article that say environmental enrichment can aid neurogenesis (which helps depression and anxiety).

Here's one article (there's tons of article on this):

http://biopsychiatry.com/voluntary-exercise.htm

Has this topic been mentioned before?

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• Administrator

No, but every bit of information about neurogenesis and how to bring it about without drugs is appreciated.

Do you know what this paper means by environmental enrichment?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

To be honest, I can't make sense of it, it's a bit technical for me, lol. I'm assuming that it simply means changing your environment aids neurogenesis. Probably the same thing with exercise.

I wasn't sure where to post this. I've been reading a few article that say environmental enrichment can aid neurogenesis (which helps depression and anxiety).

Here's one article (there's tons of article on this):

biopsychiatry.com

Hey Phil,

I've spent a good bit of time on that site, biopsychiatry.com... It carries links mostly to abstracts and this is harmless. But the organization behind that site, BLTC RESEARCH, sets off all sorts of alarms and whistles for me. They own a lot of good domains, cocaine.org, mdma.com (or org)... These are hard to get and caught my interest, so I went digging.

From their homepage, they start of the description of their enterprise like so...

"BLTC RESEARCH was founded in 1995 to promote paradise-engineering."

Ummmm, yeah...

Biopsychiatry is an interesting site, but all should know it's operated by one or more chem-buffs interested in alternative consciousness achieved via chemistry. So, for me, some of the positions and assumptions sound a bit... off.

I can't comment on the science, but my guess is on the technicals the info is fairly accurate.

Again, interesting site... Certainly one of best endorsements of the crack cocaine high I've ever encountered. (Not that they endorse crack smoking. More like they wish one could smoke crack since it's so wonderful... but ya can't without causing brain damage.)

Here's that bit:

Crack-cocaine delivers an intensity of pleasure completely outside the normal range of human experience. It offers the most wonderful state of consciousness, and the most intense sense of being alive, the user will ever enjoy. (S)he will access heightened states of being whose modes are unknown to chemically-naïve contemporaries. Groping for adequate words, crack-takers sometimes speak of the rush in terms of a "whole-body orgasm". Drug-naive virgins - slightly shop-soiled or otherwise - cannot be confident (unless in thrall to ill-conceived logical behaviourist theories of meaning) that they have grasped the significance of such an expression. For to do so, it would be necessary to take the drug via its distinctive delivery-mechanism oneself. This is at best very imprudent.

from http://cocaine.org

anyway... ummm, yea...

BTW, they are overselling crack... like by a freaking mile.

So, that's my digression.

Hope you are doing well today.

alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hi Alex, thanks for the heads up about that site. I literally just linked to the first study I found. I do recall reading that site in the past actually, it does seem a bit dodgy.

This one should be more reputable: The Journal of neuroscience.

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/31/16/6159.abstract

This abstract talks about how Enviornmental enrichement helps stress resiliency.

This might help explain it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_enrichment_%28neural%29

I think it means you are better off in an environment that is engaging and pleasing to you... so don't sit at home all day in your living room. Stimulate and engage your senses. Smells, colors, shapes, tastes, sounds, challenges. Anything that engages your mind and emotion, I'm willing to bet.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy