Treating SSRI WD with Cyproheptadine

fj929

In some folks our symptoms appear to be identical to low or high serotonin levels.  Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine used to treat hay fever as well as serotonin syndrome. I am wondering if anyone has used this med to attempt to treat their symptoms?

On Wiki is lists that this drug treats SSRI induced sexual dysfunction.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

I haven't heard of this drug before, but if anything might help, I'm willing to give it a try. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Administrator

High or low serotonin levels? That idea doesn't make any sense. Please read Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

The body constantly regulates serotonin levels. The gut contains a huge amount of serotonin.

If you wish to experiment with drugs to treat withdrawal, that's at your own risk. I don't know of any pill that fixes it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I just came across that drug the other day, too.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproheptadine#Medical_uses

The wikipedia page says it is suggested for akathisia, and cites this book: The Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines in Psychiatry, 11th Edition.

Mood disorders might not be due to chemical imbalances, but adverse events are caused by chemicals.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Administrator

Please post the results of your experiments with cyproheptadine in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

I don't claim to have experimented, but in this thread MDs like cypoheptadine, bupropion, and zinc (not all at the same time). They talk about when not to try bupropion.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ssri-induced-anorgasmia.854513/<---found it on SA in a post but forgot where.

Resources they mentioned:

••"There's a recent Carlat Report on this particular topic if you are a subscriber." <--I'm not

••"Woodrum and Brown did a nice review [of cypoheptadine] in "The Annals of Pharmacotherapy," 1998. I and other residents have had good luck with Cyproheptadine."

Here it is. The 'preview' version gave me the whole article.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/13461809_Management_of_SSRI-Induced_sexual_dysfunction

The nefazodone they mentioned was taken off the market for liver toxicity.

Elsewhere, I saw mention of intentional overdosing with cypoheptadine causing delirium.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Yes, tried it recently to battle anhedonia (currently re-tapering Paxil). Theoretically, it could help with serotonergic side effects from ADs because of its serotonin receptor antagonism (which is why it works for SSRI Induced sexual issues / excessive sweating) but that same behavior will ultimately make withdrawal worse. In my case, it felt like I skipped a day or two of Paxil and set me back a week.

Medication before problems: Took Paxil 60-100mg from 2003 to 2014 for OCD.
1) Last pill taken November 2014, horrendous withdrawal started six weeks later.

2) Re-instated successfully @ 20mg May 2015, but accompanied by severe anhedonia, loss of emotion, apathy, and fatigue

3) Switched to Prozac, Viibyrd, Zoloft, Nefazadone, Cymbalta, Nardil in attempt at abating WD symptoms while not re-introducing anhedonia. Each one either failed to relieve WD or brought back anhedonia. So re-stabilized on Paxil at 15mg

4) Tapered down to 7.5mg as of October 2016. More energy, anhedonia/loss of emotions remains apart from short windows.

5) May 2017 - down to 3.5mg of Paxil (no other meds)
6) Early 2018 - added 8mg of Prozac
7) January 2019 - down to 1.05 Paxil / 5mg Prozac and continuing

8) October 2019 - down to 0.2mg Paxil / 3mg Prozac

9) November 2019 - down to 0.1mg Paxil / 3mg Prozac 

10) March 2020 - done with Paxil, 2.5mg Prozac

11) April 2021 - 0.03mg Prozac

• 1 year later...

Anyone try or use this antihistamine that is also a serotonin antagonist? Anyone got any information about it?

I'm pretty reluctant to add any new drug to my polypharmed state, but a) I am desperate and b ) had a chat with someone who achieved near total remission after years of very bad akathisia.

Anyone know of the risks?

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

I’m still going through withdrawal. I’m about 22 months cold turkey off 20 mg of escitalopram. I had no idea of the affects of this drug on the mind and body. I was told it was the safest drug to use and had little to no side affects. I was on it about 15 years.I went to the dr because I thought I was getting too angry all the time. I was put on 10mg first but over the years I was feeling so bad and fatigued and other issues and had no idea what it was that the dr said it was just anxiety and upped my meds to 20 mg and that’s when I steadily got worse. That was in 2014 I think. I didn’t know it was the meds all these years. In 2015  I was 46 and thought maybe I was going through the change and maybe the meds were reacting different so I went from 20 to 10 for a week and then from 10 to 5 for a week and then just stopped. After about a week I started having all kinds of issues. Physically, mentally and spiritually. I went through 3 months of no appetite and my husband making me eat like I was a child. The drs couldn’t give me any answers. I didn’t know what anxiety was but the drs kept saying that’s what I had so I went back on 20 mg of my meds. It didn’t seem to do any good so I quit after a week.  I didn’t know that was a mistake. I got so bad that I couldn’t deal with light or sound or even using my brain. I was ina constant state of panic and couldn’t stop walking and pacing and thinking. It was in a horrific state. The drs tried to give me lorazepam and diazepam to try to calm me. I had been in a constant state of walking and pacing and my mind was racing for 3 months straight. I didn’t know what panic attacks before that but it was like I was having nonstop panic attacks 24 hrs. A day. I felt insane. I got my sister and husband to take me to my moms dr in hopes of him figuring something out. He told me he thought I was manic but didn’t know why. He told me to go to the ER and see the psychiatrist on call. I have never been in such a horrific state. The psychiatrist told me I had seratonin toxicity. He wanted to give me more lorazepam or diazepam but I was in such a state of fear that I told him I couldn’t take meds. My body and mind couldn’t calm down. It had been 3 to 4 months of constant walking and moving. He suggested cryproheptadine. I was so scared but he only gave me a little. It ended out calming my legs. I can’t remember how much he gave me but I took it for longer than I needed because of my fear it would all come back. It was a lifesaver. I continued having panic attacks depersonalization and fear of all kinds of things for about a year. My physical ailments were calming down too. Now at 22 months my mind is still not right and I have so much anxiety and depression but God and time will continue to help me. I’m not taking anything but am trying to eat and drink right. Hopefully I will continue to improve.

Caring69

Went on Paxil in 2001 for anger issues. Making me sleepy so was put

On lexapro 10mg in 2005

Upped to 20mg in 2014

Decided to go off in march 2016

Went to 10 mg for 2 weeks then 5 for a week then got off

Was given lorazepam in April 2016 by er dr only took it 3 times

Was given clonazapam in April 2016 and took it 5 times

Went back on lexapro in April 2916 for 2 weeks but still felt bad so quit

The dr gave me celexa in May2016 for a week .in June 2016 was diagnosed with seratonin toxity  was put on

Cyproheptadine 4mg 2 times a day took it for 2 months now on nothing

Ive been drug free since. 

Sorry. My thought patterns are still all over the place. I hope you can understand what I’m trying to say. I’m not sure I even had seratonin toxicity. I think it was just withdrawal. I had no clue about withdrawal until my brother in law suggested that to my sister and then we researched it. I haven’t been back to the dr since.

Edited by Caring69

Caring69

On lexapro 10mg in 2005

Upped to 20mg in 2014

The dr gave me celexa in May2016 for a week .in June 2016 was diagnosed with seratonin toxity  was put on

Thank you. A lifesaver. Says it all.

Did you have problems with coming off it?

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

I was so scared at the time that I would and I took it longer than I needed it. I didn’t have any trouble coming off. I took it about 2 months.

Caring69

On lexapro 10mg in 2005

Upped to 20mg in 2014

How are you doing currently?

I’m better physically but mentally still having trouble with negative thoughts and depression. I have high anxiety most of the time but struggle through and still push myself to do things for and with my family. Still feel like I’m holding my breath 24 hrs a day. Each day consists of fighting negative thoughts and trying to occupy my mind. I have trouble with my thought process and trying to find the right words to say.  Everything is so stressful now which makes my anxiety worse. I want so much to have my mind back and have my happy and positive personality I used to have. I still think the cyproheptadine was a lifesaver by helping my body to calm down. Wish there was something to help my mind but I know that God and time is the answer for that.

Caring69

On lexapro 10mg in 2005

Upped to 20mg in 2014

I tried a few small doses of cyproheptadine during withdrawal, after it was recommended and since it's available without prescription for allergies.

While it's recommended, and there are some simplistic arguments for its usage due to oppositional effects to SSRIs and serotonin antagonism. There are however, few if any anecdotal reports of it being used successfully in withdrawal, and certainly no studies.

I had a negative experience. It felt like my heart slowed down too much, I became very dizzy, and I also felt very cold. And this was from an extremely small dose.

I definitely would not recommend anyone trying this unless they know precisely what they're doing and understand the pharmacology. It's a powerful substance. Certainly in severe withdrawal, it was much more destabilising than helpful.

• 2008: Started Citalopram 30mg
  • Sept 2014: Tapered down Citalopram over 6 months and discontinued Feb 2015
  • Severe withdrawals peaked in July/Aug 2015. Totally housebound.
  • Sept 2015: Sertraline started @ 100mg on GP advice.
  • Oct to Dec 2015: Reduced to Sertraline 50mg due to side effects. 
  • Jan 2016 to March 2017: Tapered Sertraline to 2mg @ 10% per month. 
  • Severe withdrawals peaked again June 2017. Totally housebound. 
  • Diazepam: July 2017 5mg // Aug 2017 2.5mg // Sept 2017 1mg // 12th Dec 2017 0.85mg 
  • Sertraline Reinstatement: 23 Oct 2017 5mg // 15 Nov 2017 10mg // 23 Nov 2017 15mg 

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread to the top. I am trying this as I seem to be suffering from excess serotonin - likely due to my sensitized nervous system (went cold turkey off meds) - and trying additional serotonin agents. My symptoms are severe insomnia, agitation, tension between eyes, diarrhea. This usually goes on for days after any new medication or supplement. I took geodon to try to sleep Thursday night and its been nonstop since. I’ll keep you posted. Hoping it helps me calm down. 

2012-2019 Nardil/phenelzine (maoi) - 45MG

2019 Xanax - 1.5MG

(I went cold turkey off both in August 2019)

• 7 months later...

I took this off and on for insomnia during extreme WD and it helped quite a bit both with calming me down and helping with sleep (most of the time).  I didn't take it regularly so didn't have any problems stopping it.  I may actually get this prescribed for me again since my sleep issues are becoming worse

1997-2019 Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Serzone, Wellbutrin, Amitryptiline, Mirtazapine, Lexapro (mostly, 10-20mg)

Jan 16-Feb 2019 Fast tapered Lexapro after spontaneous kundalini syndrome 

Feb-Jul Used various herbs to deal with severe anxiety (bacopa, gotu kola)

Sept 2019 Developed histamine intolerance and daily panic

Currently taking high DHA fish oil, magnesium.  Occasionally l-ornithine, l-lysine, l-glycine, melatonin for sleep.  Dayvigo for sleep, and l-thp or seroquel (haven't settled on dose) for sleep when in sleep deprivation crisis

• 2 weeks later...

Please, anyone with an update on an experience with Cyproheptadine for Serotonin Syndrome (or otherwise) I'd appreciate it.  

Cymbalta:  Currently 48.5 mg.  Previously 60 mg, 2011-Oct 2020.  

Taper Oct 11-13 (three day reduction of 30 mg relieved many Serotonin Toxicity symptoms but WD became too harsh). Oct 14- 24 (eleven day reduction of 10%, 54 mg).  Oct 25  (began second reduction of 10%, 48.5 mg; holding to stabilize and work on schedule).  

Zoloft  100 mg. 1993-2000 Stopped CT for pregnancy twice, then it pooped out.  Reinstated 2011-2020.    

Taper attempt:  Oct 17-24 (seven days at 87.5 mg was discontinued; reinstated to 100 mg). 

Buprenorphine: 8 mg (4 mg 2x day @ 4pm and 1am)  Atenolol: 25 mg (max 2x day; prn).  Xanax: .125 mg (max 3x day; prn; average 2x).  HRT: Transdermal weekly patch.  Melatonin OTC:  2.5 mg, sleep.  Magnesium Citrate OTC: 125 mg, dinner.

Oct-Nov 2020:  Discontinued Simvastatin 20 mg, Magnesium Glycinate, Vitamin D, and Chia Seed Extract. Growing sensitivities.

• Moderator Emeritus

You could try searching the internet by using the following search term:

Cyproheptadine for Serotonin Syndrome toxicity

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I was googling and did some in depth reading that's what brought me to this topic :)

There has been more articles and studies about SS over the last few years.  One in particular stated that more doctors (international) are testing patient responses/reactions to Cyproheptadine to help determine if Serotonin Excess is indeed what they are suffering from. Apparently there is has been increasing amounts of suspected cases but there isn't a scientific way to diagnose it. 

I'd like to try Cyproheptadine for the same reason (and get relief) but I'm really scared.  Everything OTC or the doctor gives me seems to make me worse (I've noticed many have an impact on the increasing levels Serotonin) .  Tapering my meds is really something I want to do eventually but not now unless I'm sure it's the cause of my being so sick.  Thanks C-Cat!

Taper Oct 11-13 (three day reduction of 30 mg relieved many Serotonin Toxicity symptoms but WD became too harsh). Oct 14- 24 (eleven day reduction of 10%, 54 mg).  Oct 25  (began second reduction of 10%, 48.5 mg; holding to stabilize and work on schedule).  

Zoloft  100 mg. 1993-2000 Stopped CT for pregnancy twice, then it pooped out.  Reinstated 2011-2020.    

Taper attempt:  Oct 17-24 (seven days at 87.5 mg was discontinued; reinstated to 100 mg). 

Buprenorphine: 8 mg (4 mg 2x day @ 4pm and 1am)  Atenolol: 25 mg (max 2x day; prn).  Xanax: .125 mg (max 3x day; prn; average 2x).  HRT: Transdermal weekly patch.  Melatonin OTC:  2.5 mg, sleep.  Magnesium Citrate OTC: 125 mg, dinner.

Oct-Nov 2020:  Discontinued Simvastatin 20 mg, Magnesium Glycinate, Vitamin D, and Chia Seed Extract. Growing sensitivities.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 5:21 PM, AJ716 said:

I was googling and did some in depth reading that's what brought me to this topic :)

There has been more articles and studies about SS over the last few years.  One in particular stated that more doctors (international) are testing patient responses/reactions to Cyproheptadine to help determine if Serotonin Excess is indeed what they are suffering from. Apparently there is has been increasing amounts of suspected cases but there isn't a scientific way to diagnose it. 

I'd like to try Cyproheptadine for the same reason (and get relief) but I'm really scared.  Everything OTC or the doctor gives me seems to make me worse (I've noticed many have an impact on the increasing levels Serotonin) .  Tapering my meds is really something I want to do eventually but not now unless I'm sure it's the cause of my being so sick.  Thanks C-Cat!

Did u try cypro? Im getting it soon

10 hours ago, Ryguy said:

Did u try cypro? Im getting it soon

Yes.  I was prescribed 4mg three times a day but only took it twice.

To test it I cut the table into quarters and took one mg the first night and two mg the next morning.  I'm glad I took less.  For me the dose seemed too small to reverse my symptoms (lessened just a little) but the side effects caused extreme physical/muscle fatigue and lethargy.  My CNS was depressed and I sat there for several hours nodding out without the energy to move.  It felt like I was about to fall over and pass out.  

I wish you the best :) Please update if you take it

17 minutes ago, AJ716 said:

Yes.  I was prescribed 4mg three times a day but only took it twice.

To test it I cut the table into quarters and took one mg the first night and two mg the next morning.  I'm glad I took less.  For me the dose seemed too small to reverse my symptoms (lessened just a little) but the side effects caused extreme physical/muscle fatigue and lethargy.  My CNS was depressed and I sat there for several hours nodding out without the energy to move.  It felt like I was about to fall over and pass out.  

I wish you the best :) Please update if you take it

Jeez, im afraid now, ill update on results soon, thx for replying, hope ur ok,

I tend to suffer fatigue phases regardless so keep that in mind.  In any case I think taking it slow to see how one reacts is a good idea. 

Ty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 1:36 PM, AJ716 said:

I tend to suffer fatigue phases regardless so keep that in mind.  In any case I think taking it slow to see how one reacts is a good idea. 

Ty.

I tried it, did the exact same thing

it set me back actually, super weird fatigue , also it has insignificant positives

• 1 year later...
On 10/24/2020 at 3:22 AM, AJ716 said:

Please, anyone with an update on an experience with Cyproheptadine for Serotonin Syndrome (or otherwise) I'd appreciate it.  

I’m very sensitive to serotonergic drugs. I had failed to reinstated any serotonergic drug and any tiny does e.g. 0.01mg will cause me serotonin syndrome (extremely muscle stiffness, agitation and head pressure), in the past I use Xanax to “resolve” SS, and this time I found Cyproheptadine, it take about an hour to take effects, you will feel your muscle relaxed (due to high serotonin), calm and little sleepy.

the Cyproheptadine can help with sleepless, agitation, muscle stiffness (high serotonin blocks the dopamine release) due to too much serotonin.

But also it will block the AD’s effects. If your symptoms are not due to serotonin toxicity, Cyproheptadine will make your WD worse. And if you are followed the 10% taper rules and can hold whenever you want seems like your WD are not due to SS, so Cyproheptadine may not the right thing for you.

Xanax 0.4mg on and off only for bedtime occasionally from 2015

2019.6 Xanax Inter-dose withdraw after 8 weeks continuous usage 

2019.6.3 100mg Zoloft

2019.6.27 CT 0.4mg Xanax cross over to 7.14mg Valium 75mg Trazodone

2019.8.29 Jumped Valium at 0.5mg

2019.12.15 Jumped Zoloft at 4mg

2020.1.4 Jumped Trazodone at 5mg

2020.6.1 95% healed with no symptoms and sleep very well

2021.4.6 Reinstated 1mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone for anxiety setback from antibiotics 2021.4.25 0.5mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone 2021.5.7 Jumped Zoloft at 0.25mg as adverse effects 2021.6.2Tapered and jumped Tandospirone as mild serotonin syndrome Couldn’t take Seremind (Lavender oil) neither it could also cause the serotonin syndrome 2021.6.13 1mg Cyproheptadine before bed and got better and better 2021.8.13 Bad wave don’t know if triggered by chocolate ice cream

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy