SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

kathy1444 -- off Pristiq

kathy1444

kathy, I moved your update to your Intro and Updates topic.

It's a good sign you felt a bit better last night.

Those kinds of surges are typical of withdrawal syndrome. Again, stay calm and breathe through them. They come in waves and will go away.

Are you taking fish oil capsules? Many people find this makes symptoms milder. See this topic: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Thanks Altostrara,

I will try that, I take a multi mineral and vitamin everyday but I'm sure it doesn't help much when I'm not eating. I finally got some Boost nutritional supplement to help and it's easy on my stomach. I ate pretty good yesterday for the first time, will try to again today.

On Pristiq last month went down to 50mg, cut pills in half for a week did good, next week reduced to 1/4 withdrawals came. My body hurt so bad, running to the bathroom, couldn't eat, stomach in knots, anxiety so intense Ativan didn't help much, scared to be alone but couldn't be around anyone, so unattached to myself, didn't sleep for 2 or 3 nights. By day 3 I just didn't care, I wanted it done, no more Pristiq. Very fortunate I didn't get brain zaps, I think I would have lost it. I struggle with periods of intense aggression that has almost turned into violence when a lady smarted off, the thoughts that come with it scare me and are out of nowhere.

A week without still can't eat, got some sleep but back to not sleeping even with sleeping pills, still in and out, aggression, anxiety let up, running to bathroom, stomach in knots, overwhelming feelings something is wrong. Keeping hope as I have brief moments of clarity!

Hi Kathy. I think you figured out how to post updates. Go to your topic (kathy144 -- off Pristiq) and use the "add reply" button.

Thanks ajay!

I feel really silly, I started doing it and couldn't figure out how to respond back then figured that out and forgot how to update. Still not sure what Start new topic is for.

Thank you it doesn't take much to confuse me these days.

On Pristiq last month went down to 50mg, cut pills in half for a week did good, next week reduced to 1/4 withdrawals came. My body hurt so bad, running to the bathroom, couldn't eat, stomach in knots, anxiety so intense Ativan didn't help much, scared to be alone but couldn't be around anyone, so unattached to myself, didn't sleep for 2 or 3 nights. By day 3 I just didn't care, I wanted it done, no more Pristiq. Very fortunate I didn't get brain zaps, I think I would have lost it. I struggle with periods of intense aggression that has almost turned into violence when a lady smarted off, the thoughts that come with it scare me and are out of nowhere.

A week without still can't eat, got some sleep but back to not sleeping even with sleeping pills, still in and out, aggression, anxiety let up, running to bathroom, stomach in knots, overwhelming feelings something is wrong. Keeping hope as I have brief moments of clarity!

I got out of the house yesterday, a good friend called needing some help, I wasn't sure how I would do but wanted to be there for her however I could. I ended up spending most of the day with her running errands, had a lot of catching up to do and even though it was extremely hot we took a walk. The ride home was pleasant as I listened to the radio and went ahead and sang out loud, even though I can't sing! By the time I made it home I was rather proud of myself for getting over my fear of "what if" and thankful to her for keeping me busy! I felt a little anxious but concentrating on her instead of me helped, catching up was emotional for both of us crying then laughing, our walk a little to long for how hot it was but worth it.

I also learned from the ride home how much music distracts me as I focus on the song or sing along, even though I can't sing, I sit in silence a lot. I'm going to have my daughter show me how to use the MP3 player she got me and get songs on it so I can start using it and put a radio/CD player in my bedroom. I don't know if I should practice meditation early in the day or does it really matter as long as you do it?

Hi Kathy... you mentioned that you were home all day. That gives you way too much time to focus on yourself. Have you tried going outside and taking a short walk? Along the way observe what's around you - the trees, the flowers, the bugs, other people - anything to get your mind off yourself and withdrawal.

There have been times that I just knew I had to get out of the house, and sometimes without a shower or brushing my teeth, I'd jump in my car and go to a mall. I'd get a coffee and sit for awhile or walk up and down the mall. When that feeling passed, I'd go back home and get more presentable. Sometimes I'd buy myself something, like a new nail polish, but it helped me get out of my head for awhile.

Hi Summer,

You're right and I think that's what makes it feel worse on days I can't stay busy writing. I got out of the house yesterday and did great, can't get out too much because my mother is sick and we don't like to leave her alone, It's really hot today but I think I may pull some weeds. If nothing else it's a good writing day.

I do always appreciate the beauty in nature that surrounds me, my dad taught us to love and respect mother nature.

• Administrator

kathy, Start New Topic is for -- starting new topics! That's fine everywhere else but in the Introductions forum. In this forum, each person gets one topic for an introduction and updates.

Looks like you found out how to update your topic!

For information on brain zaps, see this topic: Brain Zaps in the Symptoms and What Helps forum, where you can read and ask questions about specific symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Kathy. I think you figured out how to post updates. Go to your topic (kathy144 -- off Pristiq) and use the "add reply" button.

Thank you ajay!!

I thought I responded to this but I may have done it wrong? Like I said I feel silly, I didn't know how to respond to posts then figured that out only to get confused and forget how to update. Then I think I responded to one but it's not on there so then I don't know what I did and where I did it.

Feeling confused here and there anyways, not helping, my memory has been shot since the medication, if I don't write it down or can read it again then I'm lost.

What is Start a New Topic for?

kathy, Start New Topic is for -- starting new topics! That's fine everywhere else but in the Introductions forum. In this forum, each person gets one topic for an introduction and updates.

Looks like you found out how to update your topic!

For information on brain zaps, see this topic: Brain Zaps in the Symptoms and What Helps forum, where you can read and ask questions about specific symptoms.

Thank you Altostrata,

So that is if I want to talk about something specific not actually having anything to do with me in general but a specific topic I want to address?

Hi Summer,

I started a new topic but think I did it wrong, God all of this is greek to me!....

kathy, you didn't do anything wrong. In the Introductions forum, each person has one topic. I moved your other posts to this topic.

Please put updates about how you are feeling in this topic. This is your topic.

If you have other questions, you can start topics in other forums.

When a person goes off an antidepressant quickly, as you did, the best way to stop withdrawal symptoms is to go back on a smaller amount on the drug and taper slower. This decreases the chance you will suffer withdrawal symptoms for a long time.

If you don't want to do that, you just need to cope with the symptoms. You may recover fairly quickly, everyone is different.

Pristiq and its cousin Effexor are known to have very bad withdrawal symptoms, so you're betting against the odds.

But I can understand your desire to get off all the drugs, I'm glad you slowed down with the Geodon.

Thanks for the guidance, Altostrate!

I'm going to take your advise and slowly taper off the Geodon, not rushing anything, so I do have some time to adjust and heal before putting my mind and body through another traumatic physical and mental withdrawal process. I've been on them this long it's not going to kill me to be patient, in fact my mind and body will be thankful in the long run!

O.K. I'm not losing it! :) Why do some of the posts show up repeatedly? I just responded to this post 3x, it showed up in different spots, I didn't think I responded to it and responded again? So you will end up finding 3 replies to your post, is it something I'm doing?

• Administrator

kathy, a topic is a string of responses or posts. You have been adding posts to your topic.

You can visit other topics and post in them, too.

If you click on the green Discussions tab up above, you will see a list of other forums. There are topics inside of them.

You can visit the other forums, such as the Tapering forum, and read topics, respond to them, or start topics.

I'm sure you'll get it after a bit.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

kathy, a topic is a string of responses or posts. You have been adding posts to your topic.

You can visit other topics and post in them, too.

If you click on the green Discussions tab up above, you will see a list of other forums. There are topics inside of them.

You can visit the other forums, such as the Tapering forum, and read topics, respond to them, or start topics.

I'm sure you'll get it after a bit.

Thank you this is all so new to me and I guess it will take a bit to get use to!

• 7 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

For anyone reading this topic, I have been tapering Pristiq using compounded capsules with slow release formula.

tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management