☼ Skyler, the benzo-Lyrica connection

Skyler

I totally understand Skyler. I got a bad sinus/ear infection a couple of weeks ago. I needed ear muffs. The sound of my door closing was like magnified to closerange gun fire decibels... The pain was terrible and I took a course of doxycycline so as not to suffer long lasting damage. I really didn't want to take the doxy but I felt I had to. Unfortunately, the ABs seemed to cause other infectious problems to flare...

Luckily my sinus/ear infection did resolve. It felt disabling being in constant ear pain with painful sound sensitivity. I couldn't imagine dealing with the ear pain 24/7 so I am terribly sorry to hear about your catch 22. I do think you have done a terrific job dealing with a monsterously difficult and unfair situation, so I would like you to know that. :-)

Hang in there.

bst,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

I totally understand Skyler. I got a bad sinus/ear infection a couple of weeks ago. I needed ear muffs. The sound of my door closing was like magnified to closerange gun fire decibels... The pain was terrible and I took a course of doxycycline so as not to suffer long lasting damage. I really didn't want to take the doxy but I felt I had to. Unfortunately, the ABs seemed to cause other infectious problems to flare...

Thanks for your kind words Alex... I may have taken more than I should for a couple of days.. the tinnitus has abated somewhat and I'm still on ABs. Thankfully as the infection is still there, though it is subsiding. My Dad had a heart attack last week.. the same day my infection started, so I was kind of pressed from all directions and I lost track. My Dad is doing better, but we have set up hospice at home just in case. Between his illness and the infection in my arm, it was a good few days.

Skyler

PS... I try to take ABs only if there is something major going on. Your sinusitis could have been complicated by a bacterial infection.... you sure have a have issues that would complicate your recovery.. Anyhow, I thought you might be interested in this article.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler, I'm so sorry to hear about everything you're going through. Please do take care of that cellulitis. I wish I knew more about which antibiotics might cause fewer problems with your tinnitus but I just don't know.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler, I'm so sorry to hear about everything you're going through. Please do take care of that cellulitis. I wish I knew more about which antibiotics might cause fewer problems with your tinnitus but I just don't know.

Thanks Rhi. Cellulitis can be very serious, and the doc(fill-in for mine who was off the long WE) was willing to prescribe antibiotics over the phone, I caught him TWO minutes before his office closed. I was too tired to drive to an ER, and had I waited for morning the chances are good I would have needed IV antibiotics... and THEN the cellulitis would have been awful. That while noone was there for my Dad. Ouch

I just hope that once I'm finally clear of WD related tinnitus, my system will become less sensitive in that regard. For now, I have this sinking feeling virtually all antibiotics bring it on.

Skyler

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Skyler,

I hope you feel better soon. Can you describe the sinking feeling you mentioned?

B~

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler,

I hope you feel better soon. Can you describe the sinking feeling you mentioned?

B~

I don't think there are any ABs that don't aggravate tinnitus is all. The ebbs and flows have turned into all flow. So much for an easy ride. The noise is once again screeching and I have two full days to go. Dunno if I'll go beyond tomorrow... I'm tempted to bail. The red doughnut on the end of my elbow has turned into a .25 cent size smudge, and tomorrow should disappear. Agh.. enough already!!!!!!!

Good to hear from you...

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler, please don't take chances with cellulitis...you seem to be well aware how serious it can be. If you can just stand to take the AB's a few more days, I know it's driving you nuts, but it's better than having to do a whole full new round of AB's from scratch, or worse, having to go inpatient and get IV AB's. Be careful hon!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Get well Skyler. It will be over soon. The Cipro about made me crazy.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler, please don't take chances with cellulitis...you seem to be well aware how serious it can be. If you can just stand to take the AB's a few more days, I know it's driving you nuts, but it's better than having to do a whole full new round of AB's from scratch, or worse, having to go inpatient and get IV AB's. Be careful hon!

Hi Rhi... yea, I'm going one caps at a time.. looking now at the 5 that remain. Sigh... the one good thing is I'd notice if there was an uptick immediately because it's so obvious on my elbow. I know cellulitis can be a bear, and the infection I had was moving very fast... I guess as long as one capsule follows the other down the 'hatch' I'll end up taking them all. Thanks for the validation and encouragement.

Get well Skyler. It will be over soon. The Cipro about made me crazy.

Hi Flower.. I'm putting links here and here for Cipro advocacy/awareness for any who might be interested. Cipro is a very heavy duty AB and I personally would only take it is all else failed and my life was at risk. It sounds like you may have had an iatrogenic reaction and I'm glad you are recovering.

Lynn

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler,

I'm very sorry you're going through such a rough patch! Sometimes when things pile up, it seems it'll never end. It will, so try to be patient and finish that AB.

I know, first hand, how awful tinnitus is but I agree with what Rhi said. You need to be careful with cellulitis.

Take care

• Moderator Emeritus

So try to be patient and finish that AB. I agree with what Rhi said. You need to be careful with cellulitis. Take care

I probably will... seen too many folks who ended up inpatient with IV ABs. But for now, it helps to rant and rail. :angry:

Thanks..

Lynn

• Moderator Emeritus

Finished the ABs. Down to the last bitter pill. Yayyyyyy

Now to put my ears back together again. Humpty rules!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Humpty does NOT rule. I took the last AB at 11PM last night, and there is now a raised red area the size of a pea in the middle of what was a very faded smudge mark. Sigh.. and a good time was had by all....

Cellulitis is a NASTY varmint. Guess it's another week, on maybe something stronger. In her Youtube video, Alto cautions about WD related symptoms that cross over and make it difficult to take other medications, and in this case ABs are a life saver. !@#$%

• Moderator Emeritus

Duh... still alive today. Seems what I saw was the bug bite that introduced the pathogen, whatever it was. Sorry folks.. this little episode gave me quite a scare.

Skyler

• 3 weeks later...

Skyler,

Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts for your dad ~

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler,Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts for your dad ~B

Thanks Barb, I am very very sad.  I made arrangements for a new home for his cherished little dog... his former aide loved the four paws and became tearful when I asked her to take him.  This is a good thing...

Skyler

I'm so sorry, Skyler.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry, Skyler.

Thanks Barb, My Dad passed last night, so he is at peace.  At least this last sickness was for only 2 days and we had the support of Hospice.  I'm sad, but this will pass.

Skyler

I'm very sorry, Skyler.

Love and big hugs.

B

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm very sorry, Skyler.Love and big hugs.B

Groan.. dormant asthma is acting up.  Hitting me kind of hard.  Just called for albuterol (sp?)

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

Loverly... albuterol causes tinnitus.  The ears were jingling so I looked it up... sigh. 

• Administrator

Skyler,

I am so sorry for you loss.  Remember it is normal to be sad and healthy to mourn in your own way.

Hopefully you won't need the albuterol much.  I hope you feel better soon.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Karma, now if I can only stay away from well-meaning relatives who think I need to be on ADs.  HUGE SIGH

• Moderator Emeritus

...My Dad passed last night, so he is at peace.  At least this last sickness was for only 2 days and we had the support of Hospice.  I'm sad, but this will pass.

Skyler

I'm sorry, Skyler.  Losing a parent is always a big loss.  You'll be in my prayers.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

...My Dad passed last night, so he is at peace.  At least this last sickness was for only 2 days and we had the support of Hospice.  I'm sad, but this will pass.

Skyler

I'm sorry, Skyler.  Losing a parent is always a big loss.  You'll be in my prayers.

Skyler,

I am so sorry for you loss.  Remember it is normal to be sad and healthy to mourn in your own way.

Hopefully you won't need the albuterol much.  I hope you feel better soon.

I'm very sorry, Skyler.Love and big hugs.B

Thanks all.  The graveside funeral is tomorrow, and I'm hoping I can have my voice back.  Going to sing some Ol Time religion hyms that were my Dad's favorites... only I may need to stand mute.  Still, it should be pretty nice.  His beloved dog Hildy s being brought to the grave site by the home health aide to whom we gave him.

Well, the first leg should be over tomorrow.

Skyler

Thanks Karma, now if I can only stay away from well-meaning relatives who think I need to be on ADs. HUGE SIGH

Ooooh noooo. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Karma, now if I can only stay away from well-meaning relatives who think I need to be on ADs. HUGE SIGH

Ooooh noooo. :(

Yeah, my well meaning nurse sister

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Karma, now if I can only stay away from well-meaning relatives who think I need to be on ADs.  HUGE SIGH

:rolleyes:

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

:rolleyes:

Thanks RU... my family is breaking up the home on the same day as the funeral... there are geographical reasons for this, but I'm it's coming out of my hyde.  I just drove 2 miles home, and bashed one wheel twice.  It has deep gouges and I may need to buy a new tire.  That on top of having laryngitis the is related to laryngospasm which has rendered me mute, (and asthma) and a good time was not had.  Sigh

I'm sorry, Skyler. This is such a difficult time for anyone. Being sick makes it so much harder.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Barb, my father died and within 2 days, his and my home is being broken up.  It is alot.... And the danged bronchitis/asthma.. whatever it is is the dregs.  My hat off to my sister and brother on that account, they were empathetic about the bronchial stuff and worked with me.

Grrrr, fancy that, it's the cough medicine I'm allergic to.  Sigh... left my inhaler at my Dad's home... have to wait until tomorrow. Argh.

Hello Skyler,

just to want to say how sorrry I am for your loss. I know it is difficult to lose a parent, even if they are ninety. I lost my father 4 years ago - he was 83 - and am still sad about it sometimes - and we also had to empty his house which he had lived in for 40 years (alone since my mother passed in 1993). It is always difficult, both physically (it is exhausting) and emotionally. It is a good thing that you had your sister to help you go through all that (as I also did, thankfully).

Best wishes to you

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

Skyler, so sorry you lost your dad, really feel for you. My dad died suddenly just as I was descending into withdrawal, I was unbelievably close to him and still miss him so much. I think you are doing amazingly coping with all this especially when you're feeling ill aswell. Sending love at such a difficult time. Xxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler, so sorry you lost your dad, really feel for you. My dad died suddenly just as I was descending into withdrawal, I was unbelievably close to him and still miss him so much. I think you are doing amazingly coping with all this especially when you're feeling ill aswell. Sending love at such a difficult time. Xxxxxxx

Thanks so much Fizz, I really am struggling.  Sinuses and bronchitis.. not so good, and trying to deal with my Dad's death.  I think it's supposed to be better when we help those we love die at home, but I'm haunted by his last two days.  I would not change our decision to have hospice, but trying to deal with all the feelings when my sinuses feel like they ran into a two by four is not so much..

Ouch

Thinking about you, dear friend. You've been here for me and so many others. I hope you feel the love and support coming back your way.

{{HGS}}

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for your loss, Skyler.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche