☼ Skyler, the benzo-Lyrica connection

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

I do not know. The children are here jumping on me, i think i go with them to the zoo

I can't imagine going thru significant WD with children underfoot.  Merdre..  WD amplifies our fears.. take care not to believe those anxieties.

The zoo sounds excellent.  Enjoy!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

UPDATE!

At the end of April I will hit 30 mgs. of Lyrica.   I'm planning to go off entirely and can finally calculate how long it will take me to be free of the danged stuff!!   Most likely between 12 and 18 months once I've hit the 30 mg milestone.  Wooohoooo!!!!!  I've been tapering Lyrica for 2.5 years... with a 9 month hold in the middle.  Now I can see the end of the road for that one.  I will still have requip to go, but hopefully that will not be as bad and the dose is low.

Alto... I'm doing really well, keeping below the WD symptom threshhold.. with the exception of tinnitus, which to be honest, is not strictly WD, (though WD did start it off) and that is under control for the most part.  But I'm STARLESS!

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

OMG, 9 months in the middle. Maybe I had to take example from you. Skylar, when you stabilized after dropping the dose, did you always wait until all the symptoms are away? Also such symptoms like intrusive thoughts?

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Martina..

I have not had intrusive thoughts, before starting to taper, or during. 

I'm very glad I held... the tinnitus was pretty bad and I did not know what was causing my ears to roar, so I held  until the volume subsided.  Holding enabled me to figure out what I was doing wrong.

I've been tapering for almost 5 years at this point (counting the long hold), and have not moved forward in the presence of significant WD Sx. I count WD symptoms as significant if WD seems to be accumulating and not subsiding within a reasonable time period after taper cuts.  Many people do have some WD when tapering, but as long as they stay at the same 'roar' and do not increase, that's the way I measure.

By me the roar significantly increased. But,yes,

I did not taper so long like you. Be glad that you did not have sny intrusive thoughts.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Administrator

In honor of your excellent tapering, Skyler, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're on your way.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Reupdate! I'm down to 20 mgs of Lyrica (as of today!),  I'm able to reduce faster than I thought..  Well, judiciously faster.  I've been cutting by 2 mgs every 10 days to two weeks for the past two months.  I tried going a tad faster... NOT. My legs and feet started with wonderful Charlie Horse like spasms. (Tinnitus is ubiquitous).  But it stays to a tolerable level at the current rate.. 

So I'm rethinking my potential end date for Lyrica... if I can keep up this pace, it could be in 4 months.  And as the original dose was 300, I'm now at 6.67%.  When I got down to 5% of my original benzo dose, I was able to cut by the same amount every month (when I got to 1 mg. the withdrawal bled thru from Lyrica to the benzo... so I had to SLOW way down and make the cuts tiny, but I kept to the same tiny amounts), so I'm hopeful I can do the same this time round.  Please note, I did not start to do this until I was below 90% of the original doses. In any event it seems reasonable at this juncture, as long as I go with the mantra  "Listen to your body!"

Note: It was Lyrica I held for 9 months a two to three years back  and did not taper either diazepam or Lyrica... holding does not mean you stop tapering!!  Math tool, a great help in determining  5% or 10% (etc.) reductions off the current dose.

awesome-baby-penguin-smiley-emoticon.gif

Congratulations Skyler, you seem to be moving right along. You should be proud of yourself!

Do something special for yourself to celebrate. ((((((((HUGS))))))))

2001-04 Polypharmacy to include Paxil,Celexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Depakote, Ambien, Geodon, Valium, Ativan, Haldol

03/04-11/04 Abilify

11/04-05/07 CT Abilify Non symptomatic

6/07 took Valium, began to experience altered reality and physical symptoms of withdrawal from Valium.

07/08. Abilify 2 mg, 12/08 Abilify 1 mg, 03/09 Abilify 0 mg, 03/08-06/11Altered reality but fully functional

10/12 hospitalized, Invega Depot, 2 shots discontinued, severe insomnia

6/14-10/14 flexeril, discontinued, developed insomnia; 10/14 10 mg Doxepin I week, no help with insomnia; 10/14 Remeron for two days, paradoxical reaction

Present Risperdal 1mg, clonazepam 2 mg, Restoril 15 mg. Went from .5 to 1 to 1.5 to 2mg of clonazepam in 2014. Also in 2014, tapered from 2 mg risperdal to 1.5 (fairly slowly but still too fast) and had to up dose back to 2 mg. Got liquid risperdal and started from 2 mg again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Skyler, you seem to be moving right along. You should be proud of yourself!

Do something special for yourself to celebrate. ((((((((HUGS))))))))

THANK-YOU!  Sounds like a good idea.  I'll still have requip to go when I get off Lyrica, but I'm hopeful that will not be quite so prolonged.. and if it is, no big deal.  I'm at a small requip dose now, so it will not be forever.  And then I'll be free, FREE AT LAST!

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2001-04 Polypharmacy to include Paxil,Celexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Depakote, Ambien, Geodon, Valium, Ativan, Haldol

03/04-11/04 Abilify

6/07 took Valium, began to experience altered reality and physical symptoms of withdrawal from Valium.

07/08. Abilify 2 mg, 12/08 Abilify 1 mg, 03/09 Abilify 0 mg, 03/08-06/11Altered reality but fully functional

6/14-10/14 flexeril, discontinued, developed insomnia; 10/14 10 mg Doxepin I week, no help with insomnia; 10/14 Remeron for two days, paradoxical reaction

Present Risperdal 1mg, clonazepam 2 mg, Restoril 15 mg. Went from .5 to 1 to 1.5 to 2mg of clonazepam in 2014. Also in 2014, tapered from 2 mg risperdal to 1.5 (fairly slowly but still too fast) and had to up dose back to 2 mg. Got liquid risperdal and started from 2 mg again.

Skyler, how do you know by tapering that all the Lyrica dissolved evenly in water? I am afraid that it might stayed at the bottom by me and that the whole time I took the whole amount and not this reduced amount. Is this possible when I shaked it once or twice?

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler, how do you know by tapering that all the Lyrica dissolved evenly in water? I am afraid that it might stayed at the bottom by me and that the whole time I took the whole amount and not this reduced amount. Is this possible when I shaked it once or twice?

It's doubtful it all stayed in the bottom.  What's happening is you are believing your anxiety about using a liquid taper.  And by this I mean, "If it makes me anxious, I must be doing something wrong.. so what could it be"..   When you shake, you will see the particles swirling around in the water.  Give a few shakes, take the cap off quickly, and when you put the oral syringe into the suspension, give a couple of quick circular stirs with the syringe, and draw up the solution quickly.  

Works for me!  It has gotten so easy, I am faster with the syringe than a tablet.. no fooling.  I don't need to get a glass out and put water in it.  Mind you, I too was a nervous wreck at the getgo.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Whew... I'm one month out from ZERO for Lyrica.  I started at 300 mgs and I'm down to 10 mgs. The main withdrawal symptoms I've had are tinnitus, (which can be due to a change in dose, UP or DOWN, as opposed to tapering reductions per se), and muscle cramps.. which start up when I've gotten a little too aggressive.  Well, the muscle cramps are not bothering me now, and the tinnitus is more or less acceptable (it's NEVER really okay, but less than cacophonistic so acceptable...), but I've been getting lightheaded for the past week. It's like I have orthostatic hypotension, or some such.

I'm going to have my BP taken on Tuesday, to make sure there has been no change.  The light headed sensation is not bad enough to slow me down as I'm almost off...   (and actually, I'm hoping it is withdrawal and not something else that needs medical attention.)  In any case... I'm down to 1/30 of my original dose, and will be free soon!

Thanks for reading.

Glad to hear it! Congratulations Skyler. I'm so happy to hear the good news... :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Congratulations Skyler! You're almost there. I know it's been a long haul but you're doing it with such grace. XOXO

03/04-11/04 Abilify

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear it! Congratulations Skyler. I'm so happy to hear the good news... :)

Congratulations Skyler! You're almost there. I know it's been a long haul but you're doing it with such grace. XOXO

Thank-you both.  I'll be checking back in when I'm down to ZERO with the Lyrica.. then I 'only' have one to go, Requip, which I'm hoping (ahem) is not so bad as it's not the usual fare.. though it does need tapering.

Congratulations!  You are doing so well, it is wonderful to hear about.

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!  You are doing so well, it is wonderful to hear about.

Thanks pug, I've have been tapering for 5 years as of June.  Wow.. had I ever known the journey would be so long... I should be completely off the last med, requip, in the next 12 months.. I hope.  And it's been well worth the journey..  I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW!

Turtles really do win races.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

No more Lyrica as of today.  The taper is finished.  Yayyyy.  The active tapering took about 2 years, with a 13 month hold to finish up another taper in the middle (well, 9 months of the 13 was a complete hold of any tapering.)  Outside of a little tinnitus (what else is new?), I'm feeling good.  Will probably hit a few bumps in the next couple of weeks, though nothing untoward.  It was a smooth drop off from my first taper, diazepam, and I don't expect anything different with this one.

One drug, requip, to go... and I'm already pretty low on that, so I figure tapering should be a thing of the past in 12 months, maybe less.

And for now... I'm celebrating! noisemaker-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations to the inspiring turtle queen!!!

It means a lot to all of us. There aren't many people who have been tapering for over 5 years. So you are like some rare species ;)

Treat yourself to something nice ;)

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Way to go Skyler-- Congratulations on hitting the big "0".

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Congratulations! Really impressive! : )

* 2000: Diagnosed with depression after separation. Venlafaxine 150 mg.

* 2001 - 2010: Continued taking Venlafaxine 150 mg out of habit.

* 2010 - 2013: Several failed attempts to discontinue, caused anxiety, depression, no sleep, mood swings.

* April 2014: New attempt to do a slow and proper taper from 150 mg.

* March 2015: Down to 30 mg Venlafaxine. Anxiety is present but mostly manageable. Getting myself addicted to benzos again.

* May 2015: Bridging to liquid Fluoxetine during 1 month. Fatigue introduced to the mix.

* June 2015: On 12 mg Fluoxetine (3.0 ml liquid, equals 40 mg Venlafaxine) and about 1 mg Diazepam daily.

* July 2015: 12 mg Fluoxetine (3.0 ml liquid). Tapering the Diazepam. Fatigue, anxiety mood swings, memory loss. Sleep is good.

* August 2015: Off the benzo. Stable on the Fluoxetine.

* Current withdrawal status (August 2015): Almost no issues. Minor mood swings and memory loss and bad stomach.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9387-knaster-fight-fight-fight/

Congratulations!!!! Yay for you!!!! :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Skyler,

Great news! Such a happy day for sure.

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank-you bubble, brassmonkey, Wildflower, Knaster, and pug!  Yes.. I am in a celebratory mood. 

Yeah Skyler!!! Way to go!!! You have accomplished much by being patient and diligent. I have no doubt your last drug taper will be as smooth as the others. Wishing you complete and total drug freedom as soon as you can manage it and continued good health.

Peace and (((((hugs)))) to you. You should be very proud of yourself! And celebrate you should!

03/04-11/04 Abilify

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations Skyler. This is inspiring news.

I'm currently tapering off of 200mg Lyrica. Once this journey is done i'll be free of all meds. I've got a long taper ahead of me. But thanks to this site and people like you I know how to do it right.

Again, congratulations.

On Zoloft 150mg-200mg from 1991-Nov. 2014. Weaned off over 40+ weeks (too fast unbeknownst to me at the time) Protracted withdrawal began in Jan. 2015 Currently weaning off Lyrica (pregabalin). Started Apr. 2015. titrated up to 400mg/day. <p>"The quality of your life is determined by the amount of uncertainty you can comfortably live with" -- Anthony Robbins

• 4 weeks later...

Good to hear that you zeroed out and now how do you feel a month and some later?

Started my Lyrica taper on the 22/9

Back injury 2012 Oxycontin 15mg BD, Lyrica 150mg BD, Paracetamol 650mg x2 TDS, Endone 5mg PRN,2013 Buprenorphine patch replaced Oxycontin. 2013 straight drop of Lyrica to 75mg no W/D 1 week later ceased, strong W/D restarted 75mg. Since 1974 vitamin B12 injection every 6 weeks.Cholestyramine anhydrous (Questran Lite 4gr) 1-2 sachets a day, (not for cholestoral). 2015 reduced Paracetamol to 650mg x1 BD.

Cymbalta 13/May/2015 for mild depression & help reduce pain. Chronic pain due to back injury, adjusted to Cymbalta in 1.5 weeks then deteriated severe headaches and nausea set in. Ceased 07/June/2015 no tapering plan provided by doctor. W/D symtoms started on 10/June pm. By 12/June spasms/cramps lack of sleep severe, 5 beads removed from capsuale result spasams/cramps unbearable.

Did not resume, 13-16/June no W/D have slept extremely well no W/D.September 22/2015 Start Lyrica taper on 75mg X1 a day trying 50mg X1 a day. This didn't work reinstated 75mg 36hrs later, avoiding over heating during sleep seems to minimise limbs jerking.

Supplements: 50mg Acetyl Tyrosine, 70mg Magnesium Malate 2 cups Rasberry leaf tea

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks bubble, Adagiooo, and Asjf.  Bandit.. I feel great, no negative sequella whatsoever. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

In keeping with our tradition, I'm going to close this topic -- the celebration of Skyler's journey off drugs will continue in her Success Story here ☼ Skyler: Completed: Klon/diazepam, Lyrica, and almost off Requip

Congratulations, Skyler!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.