SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

blackhawks89: help getting off trazodone?

blackhawks89

Hi,

I'm new but didn't know who else to turn to because my psychiatrist told me to just stop taking the medicine. I am currently on 15mg lexapro and was put on 50mg of Trazodone 3 weeks ago for sleep. It helps me sleep but makes me tired, groggy, dizzy, flat feeling and I think its giving me headaches. I told my psychiatrist and she said to stop taking it. Well I cut a quarter off, so 37.5mg and the next day I felt horrible. I felt a huge headache depressed just sick.  I would like to get off of it but don't know where to start. Can any of you be of some assistance it would be greatly appreciated! 

I have been on Lexapro for 10 years

I have tried to get off many many times. 

Right now I am at the max dose of 20mg.

I also take Trazodone 50mg to help me sleep. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome blackhawks89,

I moved your post here to an introduction thread which you can use as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well since starting taking Trazodone, there is actually a major interaction warning between trazodone and lexapro, you can see details of that here:   http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2228-0,1013-565

Were you put on trazodone to counteract insomnia caused by lexapro?  If this was the case, you may want to consider tapering down on lexapro first to minimize the sleep issues caused by being on a too high dose, please read the trazodone tips topic below for more information about this.

Tips for tapering off Trazodone:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2883-tips-for-tapering-off-trazodone-desyrel/

If you decide to taper the trazodone first, because you have only been on it for 3 weeks, you may be able to taper faster than the 10% per month recommended, but because you felt unwell after cutting down by 25%, perhaps not. I"m not sure really, you could be having adverse effects from the combination of lexapro/trazodone, or withdrawal from cutting down the trazodone too fast.

How long have you been taking Lexapro? Are you taking any other medications? How were you feeling on lexapro before the trazodone was added?

Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

When we have a little more detail about your situation we may be able to offer more suggestions.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hello petunia,

I made a signature. Thank you for the info on Trazodone. I had to reinstate and am going to try to cut off a smaller piece in a week. I was put on trazodone because I got really low on my lexapro (6mg) and basically had a breakdown and couldnt sleep. They put me on Trazodone in the hospital. It knocks me out, but I feel like a zombie, my eyes twitching, I am tired all the time, and just feel super weird. It'll be 1 month that I have been on it and my doctor said to cold turkey. I am not going to do that. I know there is a major drug reaction but doctors dont seem to care. Any more advice?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for adding your signature blackhawk.

As I understand it, you were having withdrawal symptoms from possibly tapering lexapro too fast, and stress. This is the reason you were put on trazodone. Now you are back up to 15mg of lexapro, and trying to taper off the trazodone because of the side effects from it.

How were you tapering off lexapro?

The trazodone link should have all the information you need for tapering, if you reduce by 10%, rather than 25%, you may not get those symptoms the next day.  Also read through this topic:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

If you have any questions, just ask them here in your thread. If you decide to try tapering lexapro again, here is our lexapro tapering thread:

http://survivinganti...o-escitalopram/

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hello,

Well I went down last night a little bit. I woke up in the middle of the night with cold sweats. I felt good all day until later in the day I'm starting to feel slightly depressed and foggy. I have a slight headache. This isn't that bad though. I am going to do my next taper in about 3 weeks. I am confident I can get off this stuff. The other day I slept 11 hours and was still tired all day long. Its just too much. Lexapro already makes me super tired so this on top of it must be a double wammy.

• 10 months later...

Im on 15mg of lexapro i feel disoriented, spaced out, gained 15lbs, constant fatigue and always want to sleep. Dr wanted to add wellbutrin. Took wellbutrin 75mg and felt suicidal, spaced out, and couldnt concentrate after one dose. I stopped it and its been a week and still feel very depressed and off. Can this happen from one dose? I am still on lexapro 15mg. I am taking the liquid form. Is liquid more potent (stronger)??? I don't know what to do anymore. I have a really difficult time switching meds or going down on my medicine. I get withdrawl just going down 1mg of lexapro. I'm afraid to try any new meds. I don't want to feel depressive hopeless thoughts and I know its the medication causing them. I would never act on these but they are very scary and uncomfortable. One doctor said to go into the hospital to switch meds. The hospital is really expensive and they don't even help you that much. My doctor doesn't seem to care how sensitive I am to medication and how bad I withdrawl.

Im lost.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi blackhawk

I've merged you new topic into your intro.  It is one intro topic per member.  It keeps your history together.

Also, it would be helpful if you could simplify your signature by listing drugs, dates, doses and how you decreased/increased.  This will make it easier for the staff to see your history at a glance and be able to make suggestions based on your individual situation.  Thank you.

I've just done an

Interactions between your selected drugs
Major bupropion escitalopram

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Lexapro (escitalopram)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with escitalopram. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of escitalopram, which may increase other side effects.

Looks like it may have increased the Lexapro side effects.

Are you still taking Trazodone?

What are you current symptoms?  Are you keeping notes on paper?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi blackhawk , yes , it is possible for one dose of any of these meds. to set off an adverse reaction ,

particularly in combination with zoloft (and trazodone).

Reducing your 15mg dose by 1mg is around 6.7%. It sounds like you should try micro-tapering , perhaps

decreasing by 2 to 5%. It will be way more gentle on your cns.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2364-the-slowness-of-slow-tapers/

and http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2878-micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases/

It IS the medication causing your thoughts / mood. It will take another few weeks to recover from the

wellbutrin incident , so try to be gentle and patient with yourself.

bw , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey BlackHawk, you've received good advice here.

I agree, your insomnia is likely caused by too-fast taper of Lexapro. And yes, the wellbutrin threw a monkey wrench in the gears - it will take a while for that to clear.  Prepare to stay at the same dose for at least a month, maybe 3 months - to make sure you are stable enough to taper again.

If you want to move to the liquid, you can take 10 mg Lexapro in tablets, and 4 mg in liquid.  That would be the least disruptive way to taper.

I think when your lexapro is down to 7-10 mg, you may be able to sleep again, and be able to go back to tapering the Trazadone.

Please help us by adding dates to your signature, so that we understand how recent all of these events are.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 year later...

Hello I was going to ask if anyone had any experience going off Trazodone. I was put on it to sleep and only been taking 25mg for 2 months. I know that sounds like a low dose for a short amount of time but I am very hypersensitive to any meds. I would like to get off of it now. I cut it in half and have been taking half of it for 6 days now. I am having withdrawls from that. Should I go back up to the 25mg? I don't know how I can taper slower unless I shave pieces off the pill. Even then you are not getting an accurate dose every time. My withdrawal symptoms are trouble concentrating, headache,dizzy, moody, and depressed. 

• Moderator Emeritus

No, I would not updose to 25mg.  You might find that increasing by a small amount is enough to bring the withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level.

It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to a steady state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Please see this topic for ways to get doses:  Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Keep Notes on Paper

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature.  Please include dates.  This is the preferred format:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Edited by ChessieCat

• 2 weeks later...

So I am on Lexapro 17mg and was on Trazodone 25mg. I just finished tapering off Trazodone last week. I am having depression and thoughts of dying randomly. I know this isn't rational thinking and I normally don't feel like this. Its been about 6 days since I took my last dose of the trazodone. Has anyone else experienced these thoughts while withdrawling? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here are a couple of SA topics:

thoughts-of-suicide

anyone-thinks-about-death-a-lot

2 hours ago, blackhawks89 said:

So I am on Lexapro 17mg and was on Trazodone 25mg. I just finished tapering off Trazodone last week. I am having depression and thoughts of dying randomly. I know this isn't rational thinking and I normally don't feel like this. Its been about 6 days since I took my last dose of the trazodone. Has anyone else experienced these thoughts while withdrawling? 

Hi there - I wanted to reach out to let you know that I am experiencing the exact same symptoms so you are not alone.  I know it is difficult not to believe it is the new you but it isn't....they are withdrawal symptoms.  

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

Thank you for replying :) I am so glad someone got back to me. I keep telling myself it is withdrawal and that it will get better. I never usually think these thoughts and it scares me. Its been 5 or 6 days since I took the last dose. Im wondering if I went too fast. I was on 25mg then split that in half for 12.5mg and it took like 10 days for me to feel better off that drop. Then I cut the 12.5 in half and took that for a week. Then I just stopped taking it because I couldn't cut it anymore it was like a sliver.

I know how scary the thoughts are but you are doing great by telling yourself it is withdrawal.  It sounds like you decreased quickly.  A moderator will hopefully come by to advise you as you might want to go back up in dose.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

• 1 month later...

Hi Blackhawks89, how are you doing? Have you been able to stabilize? I was on Lexapro 20mg for about 10 yrs and my doc gave me bad instructions and I tapered way too fast and I was hit hard with similar w/d and my sleep, which has always been very good, is now terrible. I keep waking up at 2-3am and can’t get back to sleep. My doc then prescribed mirtazapine (now 15mg) but that only worked for maybe 2 wks. I’m off Lex but traded that pill for another. I saw my doc again today and he prescribed trazodone to be used as needed, if I get desperate for sleep. I don’t want to use it and I’m going to resist but I let him write the script so it’s easier said than done. I discussed slowly tapering off mirtazapine and I suggest you do the same as recommended by the SA mods. You’re not alone in this struggle. I also suggest you try looking for another doctor and I’m in the same boat as you because my doctor strongly believes that these are non-narcotics and therefore no problem to stop. Doesn’t really want to hear otherwise. He wanted to actually cut my mirtazine in 1/2 starting this week and I had to convince him that I wanted to go slow so he refilled me at 15mg. I have an appt with another doctor in 2 wks and I hope they understand what slow tapering is all about or at least listen to my 10% taper plan. Keep telling yourself it’s withdraw (I’m doing that a lot too!) ..I also made an appt with a psychiatrist to talk through this struggle and to maybe learn some coping skills to deal with anxiety. I already think I’m doing what they’ll tell me to do (meditation, deep breathing exercises, positive visualization..etc etc) but I’m hoping this will also help. Take care :)

HopefulOne1

History:

Zyprexa 5mg (21JUL18) ☹️

Mirtazapine 7.5mg (19FEB18), raised to 15mg (20MAR18)

==> taper started; 14mg (23APR18)....9.5 mg (12MAY18)...7.5 mg (02JUN18)...6 mg (23JUN18)....stopped CT (21JUL18)

- Xanax 0.5mg 4-5 days/wk for ~10 yrs; reduced to 2-3 days/wk (19JAN18)

- Lexapro 20mg for ~10 yrs; ~6wk fast taper, last pill 13MAR18

- Provigil 200mg for ~10yrs; quit ct AUG 2017

- ~10 yrs of Prozac, Zoloft & Wellbutrin (not at same time) prior to Lexapro but don’t remember lengths of time or doses.

- Supplements: morning - kelp (iodine), VitD / evening - fish oil, mag gly, fiber 

• 1 year later...

Topic title:  Withdrawal symptoms but not tapering, what does this mean?!

Hello all,

I am looking for any advice! I'm taking 20mg of lexapro( been on it for 10 years) and 50mg of trazodone(been taking for almost 2 years). Recently I started to feel like I didn't take the medicine even though I've been taking it every night! I'm getting withdrawl symptoms even though I'm not tapering and still taking the medicine!! How is this happening and why?!?! How do I know which medicine is doing this to me?? 

Symptoms are severe headache, brain zaps, crying spells, dizziness. All symptoms I would get if I was coming off the medicines but like I said I'm taking them!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• ChessieCat changed the title to blackhawks89: help getting off trazodone?
  • Moderator Emeritus

It's possible that you are experiencing drug tolerance:

Tachyphylaxis or As It’s Lovingly Known “Poopout”

tolerance-or-poop-out-or-tachyphylaxis

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Has the brand / generic been changed at all recently?

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Is it possible that you have accidentally missed a dose?

Q:  Have you changed your drug schedule at all?

Q:  Are your tablets past the expiry date or kept under the bad conditions (eg heat, too cold, moisture)?

Q:  Have your stopped taking some other supplement?

Edited by ChessieCat

I haven't missed a dose, haven't changed schedule, and it is the same company that makes the medicine. What if I go on a different medicine? Will this stop? 

I am pretty sure its the Trazodone that is making me feel like this, as you can see in my previous posts I have been struggling with it for years. Right now I feel horrible though and I am taking the drug! What can I do to stop the withdrawl effects? Should I go up on the medicine (even if I don't want to) and then when it goes away start tapering off it? Or should I start tapering off it all together? I am afraid it will make me feel worse if that is possible. What about switching meds? I know I asked that in the previous post. The biggest symptom I am having right now is Severe headache. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I asked the other mods for their assistance.

• Administrator
On 8/27/2019 at 7:38 PM, blackhawks89 said:

Topic title:  Withdrawal symptoms but not tapering, what does this mean?!

Hello all,

I am looking for any advice! I'm taking 20mg of lexapro( been on it for 10 years) and 50mg of trazodone(been taking for almost 2 years). Recently I started to feel like I didn't take the medicine even though I've been taking it every night! I'm getting withdrawl symptoms even though I'm not tapering and still taking the medicine!! How is this happening and why?!?! How do I know which medicine is doing this to me?? 

Symptoms are severe headache, brain zaps, crying spells, dizziness. All symptoms I would get if I was coming off the medicines but like I said I'm taking them!

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? Have you added any drugs in the last few months, even over-the-counter ones? Any illnesses?

What times of day do you get "severe headache, brain zaps, crying spells, dizziness."

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I take the medications at night. I start to get the symptoms in the middle of the day and worse at night.  Doses are 20mg Lexapro which I've been on for like 15 years and 50mgTrazodone I've been on and off for a couple years. I have had different things in the last month, I had a baby in may and ever since then Its been working differently. Dr said the effectiveness is wearing off and to either add Buspar(which I don't want to be on 3 medicines) or go up on the Trazodone (which I dont want to do that because of the side effects and trouble coming off) so I'm pretty much stuck.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/2/2019 at 4:57 PM, Altostrata said:

Have you added any drugs in the last few months, even over-the-counter ones? Any illnesses?

Having a baby isn't an illness 😉 but is a major stress on the body.  And BTW, congratulations.

Q:  Did they give you any drugs during labour or afterwards?

Q:  Have you had a cold or anything else?  And possibly taken something?

Thanks ! I know it isn't an illness but they did give me a lot of different meds before and after I had him. I have not had any colds.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, blackhawks89 said:

they did give me a lot of different meds before and after I had him.

Are you able to find out what drugs you were given?  It was only ~4 months ago so you might still be stabilising after taking/receiving them.

• Administrator

My guess is the trazodone and Lexapro are interacting. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Increasing the trazodone or adding Buspar isn't going to fix this. Most likely, you'll want to gradually reduce trazodone:

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well since I just had a baby my sleep is extremely broken up through the night. On the days where my baby sleeps through the night I feel fine. On the days he is awake throughout the night I feel all those effects. 

Now I just realized that Trazodone does interact with other SSRIs, and sometimes it’s really dangerous! During my benzo tapering my doctor put me in Zoloft, and used Trazodone for sleep, so I took the Zoloft regularly but Trazodone not. It was very weird that my symptoms come and go although I really took care about my benzo tapering. Now I just remembered that I took Trazodone more if I felt bad and took less when I felt good, never thought it played the similar way as SSRIs, even after I jumped benzo I experienced a extremely bad symptoms seems like it’s serotonin syndrome. So now I stopped Trazodone only take Zoloft and suddenly experienced the benzo withdrawal like symptoms, I just confused all along the way of my benzo tapering, Trazodone just messed up my CNS??

Xanax 0.4mg on and off only for bedtime occasionally from 2015

2019.6 Xanax Inter-dose withdraw after 8 weeks continuous usage 

2019.6.3 100mg Zoloft

2019.6.27 CT 0.4mg Xanax cross over to 7.14mg Valium 75mg Trazodone

2019.8.29 Jumped Valium at 0.5mg

2019.12.15 Jumped Zoloft at 4mg

2020.1.4 Jumped Trazodone at 5mg

2020.6.1 95% healed with no symptoms and sleep very well

2021.4.6 Reinstated 1mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone for anxiety setback from antibiotics 2021.4.25 0.5mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone 2021.5.7 Jumped Zoloft at 0.25mg as adverse effects 2021.6.2Tapered and jumped Tandospirone as mild serotonin syndrome Couldn’t take Seremind (Lavender oil) neither it could also cause the serotonin syndrome 2021.6.13 1mg Cyproheptadine before bed and got better and better 2021.8.13 Bad wave don’t know if triggered by chocolate ice cream