soso: off Lexapro, need help

Soso

My name is Sanaa, I am new here.

My story started 5years ago, I was on Lexapro 20 mg for four years then stoped it within 3 weeks. The first three months off Lexapro was great but then I start developing symptoms, now after almost one year still feeling bad and I have low thyroid,I went to Germany to detox my body, but still feel so bad,the dizziness and the morning anxiety and depression came back, no appitie no feelings, I am 32 years old and I have three kids and I am seriously thinking of going back on Lexapro, any advice for the morning anxiety and depression, I went to a Chinese doctor and she told me that she will give me some herbs to rebuild my body, she said in chinese medicine the liver adds fire to your heart and that what cause depression and the kidney is the water to stop that fire but i am scared to try any thing she promised me that she can help me, Also I found a website called theraodback.org and they also have some supplement that can assist with w/d symptoms, did anyone here try it ?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soso

• Altostrata

• Maybe

• Phil

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking of going back for one or two years and then tapper very very slowly ? Coz I think that I am losing my family, my job and my life, please advice me should I go back to Lexapro or another AD ?

Hi Soso... you'll get more answers in the morning. It's 10:30 pm here.

I don't think anyone will know if going back on Lexapro or any AD is a good idea. You've been off it for a long time and there is no way to tell how you would react now. Sometimes people go back on and it doesn't work the same as the first time. Is it possible for you to get some talk therapy? I think at this point that will help you the most.

People who know much more about this will be on in the morning. In the meantime, read around here. You might find some information that will be helpful. Hang in there... and welcome to SA!

Charter Member 2011

Hi Soso and welcome.

I don't know anything about Lexapro. I have found that things that are energizing will relieve my depression but will also drive my anxiety up. This seems to be true with various supplements as well as antidepressants. You might find that to be true of the Chinese Herbs as well, depending on the formulation you take. I think our systems are different after the ADs, so we can't expect them to behave the same way they did before.

Are you being treated for your thyroid?

History is approximate; I didn't track my dosages.

1995 - started zoloft/sertraline for depression

1995-2008 - sertraline ranged from 100-200mg, may have gone as high as 250mg

2006 - 2009 - added welbutrin/budeprion SR, 150 mg

sometime in 2009-2010 - stopped budeprion c/t

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

~ feb 2010, stopped sertraline.

~ Apr 2010, resumed 25mg low dose (really bad business trip)

Oct 2010, stopped sertraline

Jan 2011 - another bad business trip "breaks" my sleep.

current issues include insomnia, anxiety, GI distress, depression.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

Going to therapy and acupuncture once a week.

Hi Soso

I am new to this forum and also early in recovering from AD withdrawal so I do not feel qualified to tell you anything but what is working for me. I had to withdraw very slowly from the antidepressant I was taking over the course of 2 years. Since being totally off I have to keep my life very low key and minimize stress the best I can. I am very sensitive to any medications and supplements so right now I am taking very little. I try to eat good foods, maintain a regular sleep cycle and keep my routine as normal as possible. It is getting better. My anxiety has lessened and I am able to eat without much nausea most days now. For me the first 4 months have been the worst so far and seem to be getting better.

There are people who will reply with better input than I can give.... so hang in there! I hope you feel better soon.

Prozac withdrawal about 6 years ago

amitryptilene

nortryptilene

zoloft

effexor

celexa withdrawal about 4 years ago

currently withdrawing form 13 years of Trazodone use for insomnia

• Administrator

soso, no one can tell for sure how you will react to the Lexapro at this point. It sounds like you are suffering from prolonged withdrawal syndrome, like many of us here.

When we are suffering from the prolonged effects of withdrawal, many of us become hypersensitive to all the psychiatric drugs. Any one of them may have unpredictable and very uncomfortable effects.

Lexapro comes in a liquid form. Since you've been off it for so long, if you want to try it, if I were you I'd try perhaps 1mg and see how that affects you. Do not even think of your original dosage of 20mg. That is a high dosage; side effects of Lexapro are anxiety, insomnia, jitteriness, etc. So if you are already suffering from these, do not jump into Lexapro or any other stimulating drug.

We've looked into all the supplement programs and, in our opinion, they are overpriced and not particularly effective. It's much better for you to purchase any supplements one at a time and try them individually to see how they work for you. See our Symptoms and what helps for suggestions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well I am now in Kuwait, and they don't have liquid firm of lexapo here, but I found a doctor who is very expert in those drugs and my case and he promised me that I'll be better in two months, he has a machine that work on rebalancing the whole body, after one session I felt amazing, I hope that this doctor can help me, please keep praying.

It's called bicom2000 bioresonanse, it is made in Germany, it scans your body and then gives you a program to correct what is wrong, it is even have a program for addiction and withdraw

I just googled "bicom 2000 bioresonance" and from what I can tell, it's mostly referenced on "energy healing" websites (there's also a reference on quackwatch). Sounds a little suspicious to me. But if it works, it works.

How often will you be having these treatments, Soso? Did it help you feel relaxed?

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

no concentration, what can help?

I went to Germany to do whole body detox,IV ozone therapy, organic food, mineral water,no sugar,immune booster,thymus injections,homeopathic detox injections,vitamins infusions ,liver detox infusions, and while i was there they start giving me Valium for sleep, I took them only for few days, part of there detox something called fever therapy, they inject you with some bacteria I think to stimulate your immune system, I start shaking and my temp went up to 41c, now I have stomach problems and I can not concentrate specially my right side of my head which i had problems with before starting the AD, one PT there told me that all my right neck muscles are stiff, and my scull bones need to be adjusted and she said the fever therapy may worsen your condition, I dont know now is my problem because of the valium I took or because of the fever push or something else( ear problem )???? the strange thing that it is only my right side of my face!!!! I came back from Germany in a very bad shape :( but I hope that my body will benefit from all these things I did there and it will help me to recover faster :)

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic
  • Moderator Emeritus

You need to recover from your detox! It is impossible to tell what is causing your new symptoms after so many procedures that could affect your well being. Rest, do soothing and gentle stuff like massage, and let your body get back into balance. IMO, it is NOT a good time to be experimenting with supplements/medications. Give yourself some time to get over the symptoms caused by the detox, which sounds drastic.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Administrator

I agree with Baxter.

You could be suffering adverse effects from the detox, or you could be suffering hypersensitivities from Lexapro withdrawal syndrome.

There are no easy answers to this. I suggest you stop looking for miracle therapies and concentrate on staying calm and letting your brain and body heal.

The only treatment I would recommend is acupuncture, and you must make sure the acupuncturist understands you need calming, not energizing, treatments.

Don't take herbs, you may be hypersensitive to something in them that wouldn't affect other people who are not experiencing withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Since I stoped Lexapro I've been under stress, going back to Kuwait from USA, starting new job, culture shock, family problems. I didn't know anything about staying calm and withdrawal syndrome, I kept on charging my self for one year, now I am all burning, no brain, what should I do?

The smallest Lexapro I can get here is 2.5 mg, can I go back on 2.5 and then start tapering or can I take dogmatil it's not ssri, my kids and my husband are suffering too,

please need your advice

Hello Soso,

The problem is that no one can tell you if going back on an SSRI will help you. It could even make your wd worse. To be honest, if you have been med free for 1 year, I would stay that way and try to let your nervous system heal on its own. Do you still work right now?

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Yes I have to go to work, it's very hard for my family and me to stay like this, I cant even cook or do any simple thing in the house, going back to AD is a must for me right now

Please wait for other board members to state their opinion. There are many members who are much more experienced when it comes to reinstating a drug.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• Administrator

soso, I moved your question here, to your Intro topic. Each person has one Intro topic.

It's unfortunate that this condition, which is a result of medical error, causes such suffering. It's been a personal disaster for many of us.

Many people with withdrawal syndrome have sensitive nervous systems, upset from the withdrawal. They find if they take any kind of psychiatric medication, it doesn't help or makes the withdrawal syndrome worse.

At this point, because your CNS is upset, it is impossible to tell what will happen if you take 2.5mg Lexapro or Dogmatil.

Dogmatil is an antipsychotic and a dopamine antagonist:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Sulpiride

If you try it, please let us know how it affects you.

We don't know of any sure-fire treatment for withdrawal syndrome. We believe the hyper-sensitive nervous system needs to be treated gently to heal, and medications, herbs, purging, cures etc. are too strong and often cause more problems, as you have found.

If I were you, the only treatment I would try is acupuncture, and very cautiously.

But it's up to you to make choices that are right for you. Please keep posting in your Intro topic and let us know how you're doing.

Hi Soso,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties. 25 mcg thyroxine is a very low dose. Have you had your thyroid levels checked to make sure you're not undertreated? The tests you'll want are TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), Free T3 and Free T4. They should also check your TPO (antibodies) to see if there is an autoimmune reaction going on. The TSH should be no higher than 3. If your T3 is low, you might want to see if you can get a thyroid medication with T3 (dessicated thyroid medication such as Armour, NatureThroid, Westhroid), or supplement with a synthetic T3 med like Cytomel (Liothyronine). Personally, I can't tolerate any T3 medications because I find them too stimulating, but some people say they make all the difference for them. Low thyroid can give you all kinds of awful symptoms, including brain fog, depression, and anxiety. I'd look into making sure your thyroid health is good before going back on an antidepressant.

1989 to 2008: Prozac then Paxil then Celexa.

Numerous attempts to quit.

Then I got off the SSRI poop-out merry-go-round.

11-12 week taper.

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear

If you're going through hell, keep walking

The only way out is through

Please tell me that what I am feeling is normal symptom??? After coming back from Germany I have more anxiety more fear more burning sensation, no concentration no brain, my right side of my brain is dull its like there is a knot in my right side of my brain, is this my body trying to adjust itself, I am so scared that the fever damaged my brain or my nerves, i wake up at night with sever anxiety starting from my stomach, it's like something wants to come out of me and then my body start to burn,and my heart start beating and this happens whenever I want to rest, I am out of control.

I used to be much better before going there.

Get your thyroid checked. Was your hypothyroidism diagnosed while you were on Lexapro? I've heard of people being diagnosed with low thyroid while on antidepressants, and the thyroid problems go away after they get off the antidepressant drugs. It's also possible you may not need to be on thyroid meds. Being overmedicated can also cause depression, anxiety, and heart palpitations. The symptoms of being on too much vs. not enough thyroid medication are very similar and confuse the issue. That's why running the tests is important.

1989 to 2008: Prozac then Paxil then Celexa.

Numerous attempts to quit.

Then I got off the SSRI poop-out merry-go-round.

11-12 week taper.

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear

If you're going through hell, keep walking

The only way out is through

Yes I think that my thyroid is the problem cause I feel that there is something in my throat and head pressure and fog, I'll do some blood test to check it out

• Administrator

You might want to get a full endocrinological checkup and tests for general health, also, including potential mineral and vitamin deficiencies.

The thing is that in Kuwait it's hard to do vitamin/mineral test, there is only hair analysis test which i did three months ago and it showed that i have low potasiom very high cal. and mag. And low copper, what do you recommend for hormones level test saliva or blood ?

• Administrator

soso, you need to go to a conventional doctor who will order a panel of tests and do a full physical examination. In the US, the necessary tests are blood tests.

Is it true that bad waves mean improvement? I am going thru my worst wave right now, I was doing fine a month a go but now I am worse than ever, I feel like I am burning from the inside, no appetite, I am losing weight, no bowel movements, I fear every thing, cant sleep and if I did my fear wakes me up and my whole body start burning, can not breath properly my chest is very heavy and it's like there is a knot in my stomach, is there any thing that can help?

Soso, I also recommend seeing a conventional doctor. So sorry you are having such a bad time.

Prozac withdrawal about 6 years ago

amitryptilene

nortryptilene

zoloft

effexor

celexa withdrawal about 4 years ago

currently withdrawing form 13 years of Trazodone use for insomnia

Last month I did a full blood tests everything is ok exept the thyroid and little high cholesterol, but I didn't do vit/mineral test and also hormone test

I also went to a Chinese doctor, she checked my eyes, pulse and tongue she said nothing is wrong but my body but it is very weak and nervous , she said my kidneies are weak and my heart an liver, she wants me to do reflexology to make my body work and some supplement from china to nourish my body, she told me that my hormones are so crazy and I need calcium so my nerves calm down. I'll give it a try, if it didn't work maybe I'll go back to Lexapro, my whole family is suffering, I have a two years old baby who needs me, I can't even play with him or even my daughter or my oldest sun he is a teenager and he needs me next to him, I am sooooo frustrated and angry, please god help me

The doctor found out that I have infection and he wants to check where exacty, I'll do more blood tests tomorrow, is it ok to take medicine( antibiotic or antviral) if needed ? My stomach is inflamed I can feel the heat all the way up to my throat and head, I think this what's making my WD symptoms worse

Thank you

Soso

• Administrator

If you have an infection that's making you sick, and it can be treated with an antibiotic, you may choose to take the antibiotic to take care of yourself.

You have to decide what's best for you. An antibiotic might have side effects, but hopefully it will eliminate the infection.

Make sure you understand what the doctor says. If you have any questions, make sure the doctor answers them.