SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Marsha: can I taper off geodon before gabapentin?

Marsha

Hello to everyone. I am going to reduce to 60 mgs of geodon on Saturday September 5. Still no significant withdrawal symptoms. What I am experiencing is interdose withdrawal since I take the geodon only at night. But I can live with that. I feel much better as the days go by. Today I began to help my husband start his taper off citalopram. He doesn't want to use the liquid and tablets together so I have made the calculations and he is having me make one capsule at a time to see if he can handle a 10% reduction. I also am helping my daughter with a new baby and three year old. I feel a lot of weight on my shoulders as my husband depends on me to do all the research for helping him know what to say to the doctor and how to taper citalopram. I pray to God to sustain us during this difficult process and He does. Thank you Altostrata, moderators, and members for all of the rich, valuable information on this website.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

I am going to tell my complete psychiatric abuse story. In 1994 I went to my doctor because I was feeling mildly depressed and mildly anxious. In retrospect I now know I was having hormonal changes due to pre menopause. I was 41 years old. I was put on prozac. I gained thirty pounds. I had never even heard of the term SSSRI. I had no idea the drug was causing the weight gain. I started to become more anxious from the prozac and was put on zoloft. Anxiety increased and started having problems with intimacy. Anxiety increased so much I had a panic attack. I went to the doctor the next day because I thought something was wrong with my heart. Was put on xanax. This was in 1997. Didn't know what that drug was either. I was 43 years old. I soon began to notice subtle memory problems and told the doctor. He didn't tell me it was a side effect of xanax and just said take ginkgo biloba. Our family moved and I began seeing a nurse practitioner. I continually told her about my anxiety and and worsening memory. She continued to prescribe zoloft and xanax. She then said she could do nothing for me and sent me to a psychiatrist. From then on I have experienced the horror of Stockholm syndrome at the hands of a very dangerous psychiatrist. I have been on evvery SSSRI SNSRI and every other class of psychoactive drug. I have been told I had schizophrenia, schizo affective, bi polar, personality disorder, PTSD, GAD panic disorder etc. I have been hospitalized several times due to drug side effects, gained and lost one hundred pounds twice, was diabetic, anhedonia, akathisia, and on and on. I was able to get a computer in 2011. I learned how to research the cocktail of drugs that I was on and was able to break free of this very dangerous psychiatrist in September 2014. I have been withdrawing from psychiatric drugs ever since. I don't know what iatrogenic injury I am experiencing and will experience. I just know that I am very slowly recovering from intense psychiatric abuse. I am now sixty two years old. The drug side effects linger and may very well cause my death. In that event, I have instructed my family to institute legal proceedings against this psychiatrist and the pharmaceutical companies. My drug signature does not even begin to tell my drug history. I know there are many thousands struggling to get free of psychiatric abuse. I don't yet know if I will survive this experience, but I do have hope for a bright future which I can't discuss here.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

• Administrator

Marsha, you've done a remarkable thing. One way or the other, you will be whole.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

How do I start an account for my husband when we use the same computer? I tried to start an account for him and after getting the email and validating the account it was still my account. Is this because I didn't sign out of my account before trying to create an account for my husband?????  We really need some help for him because his doctor decreased his librium to 5 mgs and now he is trying to taper citalopram and is experiencing severe insomnia. I need to start an account for him so you can see his drug history signature. I know it's probably a simple answer but with my damaged mind everything technical is an obstacle. 

• Administrator

Yes, you need to sign out of your account. Your husband needs to use the Register link he will see at the top right of the page.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Marsha, that is horrible, amazing, and inspiring all at the same time. Thank you for sharing...it may really help someone else.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Yes, meimei, it was horrible and yes I am amazed that I am still alive. The drug damage is quite extensive to my brain and I still have four drugs to withdraw from. I take life and withdrawal minute by minute, hour by hour. I am thankful to still be alive and will salvage what I can until the day comes when I will be restored to perfect health. Yes it is possible to free for anyone to free themselves from psychiatric abuse.

Hello to members, moderators,and administrators. May you all find some measure of peace even though you may be experiencing discomfort at this time. I am facing a bit of a conundrum. I have seen three doctors since I began my drug withdrawal in September 2014. I just can't get them to agree to let me reduce at the rate I am comfortable with. I reduced the trazodone too fast and I believe that I have a degree of withdrawal syndrome although it is getting better. So I have been withdrawing carefully from the geodon. I asked the addiction doctor to take over my drug withdrawal and she wants me to reduce the geodon at no more than two weeks per reduction and wants me to taper the librium next and then the gabapentin. I really want to go slower with the geodon and save the librium for last. I am tempted to go back to the psychiatrist who didn't agree with everything I have learned about tapering and the toxicity of psychiatric drugs but was agreeable to let me have as much of the drugs I needed. So I made an appointment with him and will just get the drugs and taper at my own speed. He too tried to rush me into tapering too fast but didn't try to force me like the other two doctors. I need to have someone who will go the distance with me and he seems like my best option. What say you?

Yes, you need to sign out of your account. Your husband needs to use the Register link he will see at the top right of the page.

Hello Altostrata. I need some technical support to delete the account I thought I started for my husband but I actually validated another user name and email and password under my own account because I didn't sign out of my account first. How do I delete the new one I created? Or does an administrator have to do it?

• Administrator

Please send me a pm (little envelope icon at top of page) and I will delete it.

Thank you Altostrata. To anyone who reads this, I feel really alone in my struggle to reduce in geodonland. I am not experiencing any but minimal withdrawal symptoms. Mostly it's interdose withdrawal symptoms. They only happen at night. I get chills and hot flashes and have had a little trouble falling asleep. For the most part, the withdrawal has been uneventful. I wonder if I can reduce every two weeks. I think I will try. If I get any withdrawal symptoms other than interdose withdrawal I will go to the tapering section and find out what to do. I'm hoping I can do it. I know the tapering process is different for each person but I sure wish I had someone who is also tapering geodon to compare notes. I was an aspiring author before my polydrugging experience. But now I struggle to express myself and my thoughts to others. I really feel alone even though my rational self says "you are not alone in this." Does anyone feel this too?

• Administrator

I think each of us feels alone. You're not alone in that!

How about taking a wee smidgen later in the day to alleviate the interdose withdrawal?

That's a suggestion I will take under advisement. Thank you.

I am terrified of developing akathisia again. I am confused. I read that it can manifest when withdrawing from antipsychics. I had horrible akathisia when I was on high doses of antipsychics. It resolved when I got down to 80 mgs of geodon. But then I tapered trazodone from 450 mgs to 0 in four months. I have not even had but a few withdrawal symptoms but they have resolved. Now I am tapering geodon but doing it the right way but was told by my psychiatrist that tapering slowly like I am doing I will get akathisia. If I get akathisia again I will kill myself. Please someone who knows more please help me. It is all I think about. I just don't think I can go through akathisia again.

• Administrator

I do not think your psychiatrist is correct. His statement makes no sense at all. You should ask him to explain in detail why he thinks slow tapering would trigger akathisia.

If he's manipulating you by scaring you, he's the wrong doctor for you.

Akathisia can occur in all the situations you mention. But it arises from a destabilized nervous system.

I had akathisia from Abilify (not real bad) and just a tiny smidgen at the end of my Zyprexa taper (I couldn't stop pushing my tongue up against my upper teeth, rubbing a sore on my palate). For me, it really wasn't that bad, just a little scary because I didn't know withdawing could cause it. It stopped shortly after I stopped the drug. feared it was from a different drug and knew I wasn't ready to go quickly off another one right away.

There really isn't much data or even anecdotal information on coming off AP's. If it starts, you'll know immediately what it is, and you can decide then what to do. Our choices are: stay on drug forever, stop cold turkey, go off quickly, go off slowly. I hope someone else has more info to share. You could read some of SorrowExpert's thread. In the end, it stopped when he switched from a tiny dose of Zyprexa to a tiny dose of Seroquel ( under hospital supervision), and then he tapered off the Seroquel. Personally, pushed up against a wall with serious symptoms, I would try a drug switch. I did a switch with beta-blockers and was shocked that it worked quite well.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Oops, I crossed with Alto. She knows so much more than me. Ignore that.

56 years old

Thank you Altostrata and MeiMei. I have seen three doctors about my geodon taper and all of them all of them are trying to rush me. I have had to make a reduction after two weeks because I don't have enough prescriptions to allow me to taper every three weeks. I hope I can manage it but if I start to feel more than mild withdrawal symptoms I will updose and try to get enough prescriptions to allow me to taper every three weeks. I think I can reason with the psychiatrist. I will try. The other doctors starting in October will only be available two days a week and it will be very difficult to get an appointment as often as I need. The psychiatrist is full time and will get me in if it is urgent. I am quite certain that he will give me all the drugs I need even though we disagree profoundly on the subject of "psychiatry. My options are few since I am on disability and medi-cal.

Actually, I have have to taper by ten percent of my dose every two weeks because all the doctors are giving me about a year to get off the geodon because the benzodiazepines have taken such a toll on my memory and cognitive function. But they agree that the geodon is more toxic and have agreed to let me taper off that first. I don't see any other options. I just hope I don't get akathisia again. As a person with limited income and being disabled from psychiatric drugs I only have a very limited choice in doctors. They really want me off the benzodiazepines. I want off them too. But the geodon is worse. I guess I will just have to taper every two weeks of geodon and endure any withdrawal symptoms. I am going to cry I feel so helpless and stuck and wish I could find a doctor who would really help me.

• Administrator

Why are they making you reduce every 2 weeks?

You might taper on your own schedule anyway.

Can you go to a different doctor?

They want me to taper two weeks because all of them are trying to get me off geodon fast because they really want me off benzodiazepines. I have tried to explain to them about slow tapering but they just don't get it. They are Adventist Health doctors and they have tried to cold turkey me off benzodiazepines but of course it didn't work so I would go back to the psychiatrist who was abusing me Stockholm Syndrome to get the benzodiazepines so I could function. I will continue to taper the geodon as recommended by SA and when I see the psychiatrist in October I will try to reason with him. These doctors are the only ones who accept Medicare and medi-cal in my small community. I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have enough geodon to get me to the appointment with the psychiatrist. He is aware of how toxic antipsychotic drugs are. I think he is just trying to limit further exposure from them. There just isn't anyone else. I will try again.

If you think your docs have potential in other ways and are worth staying with, you might just lobby for permission to just go as fast as you safely can and to keep a symptom journal so that they can coach you. I would tell them that an important part of your recovery is increasing your sensitivity to your own needs and your capacity for self-assessment and self-care. Forcing a taper is antithetical to both of those concepts.

56 years old

Thank you MeiMei. I will use your very words when I see the psychiatrist. Thank you. Thank you.

• Administrator

Excellent advice, meimei, thank you.

Well, I canceled the appointment with the psychiatrist. I just don't trust him. And my addiction doctor agreed to take over the prescribing. She assured my husband yesterday that she wouldn't rush me during my taper. She is just concerned about the benzodiazepine. I do have memory loss from the benzo but I have read on the benzo forum that someone I think skyler was on benzos for 25 years and recovered. When I have tapered the geodon for a year, then I will probably start to alternate tapering the benzo and the geodon. The addiction doctor just is concerned. But she won't cut me off. I need to get as low as I can on the geodon so it doesn't cause insomnia when I start to reduce benzo. Does this make any sense to anyone? She got her hours cut because not enough people were coming in for help with addictions. Where do I go to recommend her for benzo withdrawal?

Makes total sense. There is a thread under tapering for recommending practitioners. My new doc was very concerned about my benzo symptoms, too. He had me use a lot of innositol. Maybe she could research that for you. Today Kelly Brogan is speaking on an internet health summit, I think it is evolutionofmedicinesummit.com. I don't know what she will talk on today, but generally I think she knows more about getting people off meds than anyone else I have read stuff from apart from this site.

56 years old

Thank you meimei. I will talk to her about the inositol and research it myself also. I will try to listen to Kelly Brogan also. Your information along the way has been most valuable. I thank you for continuing to read and offer your help on my thread.

• Administrator

Marsha, good for you, you've solved your problem.

There are millions of people looking for good benzo tapering doctors! You might add her contact information to our list http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8vand in the various Facebook benzo tapering groups.

Marsha, good for you, you've solved your problem.

There are millions of people looking for good benzo tapering doctors! You might add her contact information to our list http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8vand in the various Facebook benzo tapering groups.

Thank you Altostrata. I added her contact information on the topic of recommended doctors. It's at the end of page seven. If you contact her, I'm sure she will be willing to learn how to taper people off other psychiatric drugs. My husband and I have used the information from this site and she is helping us to get off geodon, librium, gabapentin and celexa. She is very willing to learn and needs more clients so she can go full time again.

• Administrator

Excellent! We need all the good doctors we can get.

I am experiencing erratic sleep. Every night is different. Before the addiction doctor agreed to my slow taper she had me taper the geodon after two weeks. I went down 10 % for two days and my sleep has been erratic ever since. 10 hours one night, 7 hours, 8 hours, then 5 1/2 hours last night. Is this geodon withdrawal? Or is this trazodone withdrawal syndrome? I need help to figure it out to be able to proceed with my geodon taper. Can anyone help me?

I have had sleep disturbance coming off every drug, and with almost every reduction. Sadly, those hours sound wonderful. I have tried many of the suggestions on the insomnia threads and I work hard to try to avoid an emotional response to it. My husband drives me to and from work if I have had no sleep. Otherwise, I just keep on. I am lucky in that I have never had more than one night in a row of no sleep. Many others have had much more serious problems. I hope someone else has more insight.

56 years old

Thank you meimei for your insight. I'll just taper every four weeks for a year and should be down to approximately 16 mgs of geodon. Then I can alternate between geodon and librium. I simply won't worry about sleep.

I wish, and hope there is a better answer. Tapering more slowly would probably help, but I know you want off ASAP. I use a mix and match of inositol, GABA, and taurine, which helps but doesn't fix. Others use other amino acids. Please do look at the insomnia threads for other suggestions. If a taper is going too fast, I think you will have other symptoms as well. Trazadone WD would be expected to cause horrible insomnia. I am not very well acquainted with Geodon, but most APs have huge antihistamine effects, so thee is a rebound insomnia. And then the benzo..... I'm afraid you will be an expert in insomnia management by the end of this. But others have walked this path and come out on the other side. I have to admit I haven't walked it gracefully, but I have chosen the "fast as I can do it" route and I have to accept the consequences of that.

56 years old

Thank you again and again meimei for your experience and suggestions. I will wait the 4 weeks and then taper. I will just have to accept that insomnia is part of the process. I know you probably feel the same as I do about being anxious to get off these toxic drugs. But I have to learn patience and know that I will be free and have my life back whatever I can salvage from the abuse and experiments that psychiatrist heaped on me.

I wish, and hope there is a better answer. Tapering more slowly would probably help, but I know you want off ASAP. I use a mix and match of inositol, GABA, and taurine, which helps but doesn't fix. Others use other amino acids. Please do look at the insomnia threads for other suggestions. If a taper is going too fast, I think you will have other symptoms as well. Trazadone WD would be expected to cause horrible insomnia. I am not very well acquainted with Geodon, but most APs have huge antihistamine effects, so thee is a rebound insomnia. And then the benzo..... I'm afraid you will be an expert in insomnia management by the end of this. But others have walked this path and come out on the other side. I have to admit I haven't walked it gracefully, but I have chosen the "fast as I can do it" route and I have to accept the consequences of that.

hi meimei. A little bit about geodon and trazodone. If I do have withdrawal syndrome from the trazodone taper it is too dangerous to try to reinstate even a small amount. Both trazodone and geodon can cause. QTinterval prolongation which can lead to torsades de pointes which can cause sudden death. I tapered the trazodone under the direction of a psychiatrist who obviously didn't know proper tapering. So here I am tapering the geodon the right way. Sleep still deteriorating. Three hours last night. I think I am one who has to taper the geodon even if I have withdrawal syndrome. I don't think I do. The insomnia didn't start until this past week. I hope it's just a geodon withdrawal symptom. I have been off the trazodone since February. I had very few withdrawal symptoms which resolved. Do you or Altostrata have any ideas?