pattypurple

How to calculate dosages?

pattypurple   
pattypurple

ADMIN NOTE Also see

tapering-dose-spreadsheet-links

Hi there. New to all of this. I'm embarrassed to say I have difficulty with math (due to ECT and hey, maybe also due to all these meds(?!)). Can someone tell me what is 10% of 5mg? Is that .5mg? Do you multiply by .10 and then subtract that from the total dose? 

Thank you for not laughing or screaming or sighing (or at least keeping it to yourself!)

[bows head in shame]

Edited by ChessieCat
Added link

dalsaan   
dalsaan

Hi there. New to all of this. I'm embarrassed to say I have difficulty with math (due to ECT and hey, maybe also due to all these meds(?!)). Can someone tell me what is 10% of 5mg? Is that .5mg? Do you multiply by .10 and then subtract that from the total dose? 

Thank you for not laughing or screaming or sighing (or at least keeping it to yourself!)

[bows head in shame]

No need to bow your head in shame - that is the way to calculate your dose reductions.  Dose X .10 = amount to be deducted from current dose

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Here's a tip, everyone: If you want someone to do math for you, be polite in your request and gracious in your thanks.

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

Hi patty

This is what I could do. I will have my father help out with this when he comes home he's really good with math. I calculated these with an Excel spreadsheet. This is the dose minus 10% of the dose, starting from 5 mg. If you are using an Excel spreadsheet you should create two separate columns A and B. A is where you write the current dose, and for B you use the formula B1=(A1-(A1*10%)). Then you copy the formula all across the column and it calculates each new dose.

These are the numbers I came up with. May or may not be correct. 

5.00 4.50 4.05 3.65 3.29 2.96 2.66 2.39 2.15 1.94 1.75 1.58 1.42 1.28 1.15 1.04 0.94 0.85 0.77 0.69 0.62 0.56 0.50 0.45 0.41 0.37 0.33 0.30 0.27 0.24 0.22 0.20 0.18 0.16 0.14 0.13 0.12 0.11 0.10 0.09 0.08 0.07 0.06

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

You're most welcome. Make sure you double check everything. If X is the old dose and Y is the new dose, you do the math like this:

Y = X-(0.1 x X)

Skyler   
Skyler

I just came across a math tool that will calculate the % of however many mgs. you want to cut.  Use the first box, and enter % you want to reduce in the first space, and the number of mgs. you are taking in the second, then hit calculate.  Just do the same with each successive dose, and it will give you the figures you need for your taper.

BuddhaMama   
BuddhaMama

I understand how to calculate 5% of my original dose (15mg - .75mg=14.25mg), but what I don't understand is how to translate this to my 1ml syringe. If my suspension liquid contains 15mg per 1ml, how do I calculate 14.25mg in a 1ml syringe?

nz11   
nz11

okay after doing a search i found that remeron can be bought in 15mg per ml solution.

I was just surprised that you can dissolve 15 mg in just 1 ml but apparently you can.

okay in that case if you want 14.25 mg you need to take 0.95 ml.

You simply divide the desired mg dose by 15 and take that in mls.

nz11

note to myself:  2 dp is needed in my liquid spreadsheet calculator not one.

ChessieCat   
ChessieCat

[bows head in shame]

No need to bow your head in shame - that is the way to calculate your dose reductions.  Dose X .10 = amount to be deducted from current dose

I find it easier to just multiply the dose by 0.90 for a 10% decrease or 0.95 for a 5% decrease.

Or you can use the above way and then double check by multiplying by my suggested method.

Explanation:  0.90 = 90% and 0.95 = 95% so you are calculating the amount of dose you need, not what you need to deduct.  Doing it this way means one less calculation therefore reducing the risk of error.

BuddhaMama   
BuddhaMama

okay after doing a search i found that remeron can be bought in 15mg per ml solution.

I was just surprised that you can dissolve 15 mg in just 1 ml but apparently you can.

okay in that case if you want 14.25 mg you need to take 0.95 ml.

You simply divide the desired mg dose by 15 and take that in mls.

nz11

note to myself:  2 dp is needed in my liquid spreadsheet calculator not one.

I think the reason I'm having such a hard time with the syringe is because I want to do the BrassMonkey slide method of 2.5% decreases. My 1ml syringe only has 5 tick marks between each 10th of a ml. So, my first decrease of 2.5% would fall somewhere between the tick marks that lie between 1ml and .9ml, which makes me feel like it's a lot less accurate and therefore more likely to throw my body off. I'm super duper sensitive. Should I use a digital scale? all the searching I've done on SA regarding scale usage seems to only discuss tablets, powders and beads, not liquids. Help please!

LexAnger   
LexAnger

You can dilute the liquid 10 times by adding water into it, then the measure should be much more accurate.