Cipro, Levaquin, Azithromycin (Z-Pack), and other antibiotics

wdtony

I had a nasty reaction to Cipro when I was still using antidepressants. It was prescribed for UTI and doctor did not tell me that the drug he was prescribing was so potent stuff and what type of severe issues these drugs can cause. I got tendon pain and even walking started to hurt because my feet were so sore. At the same time my muscles started to feel weak. Then I started to get pain all over my body. I could not use all tablets I was prescribed and stopped using it after a couple of pills because the pain just got worse. I went to doctor and she said to avoid exercise when I had tendon pain. Pain lasted for a couple of months and I noticed help from magnesium. I also felt weird when I was using those tablets. Like I got suddenly really dizzy... Somehow I knew there was something wrong with those pills from the first pill and ended reading about fluoroquinolones. And was quite shocked.

I felt like I survived from fluoroquinolones with luck but I am not sure, because it wasnt so many months before I ended up to this withdrawal hell with multiple symptoms. Maybe Cipro has played some sort of part in it. I will never know.

I wouldnt touch fluoroquinolones ever again. And I couldnt because I would react badly to it, it would be a nightmare especially now when extra sensitive and being in benzo wd. It was stupid to even prescribe Cipro for UTI as a first antibiotic

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2024 May 1,8 mg  Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, vitamin E occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2011 at 4:59 PM, wdtony said:

I was just wondering if anyone has had bad reactions to antibiotics (particularly amoxicillin) after having problems with SSRI's.

I realize this is several years past 2011 - but in case anyone searching this finds - I am no longer able to take amoxicillin because of allergic reactions (rash).

• 1 month later...

I became immediately depressed taking doxycycline last summer.  The probiotic Mood Assist from Life Extension (also on Amazon) were a big help as well as acupuncture.  I also took Nystatin tablets for a week, and I still don't think all the candida is gone but I'm ok.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 2 months later...

Is there any evidence to suggest that being ‘floxed’, and having an adverse reaction from SSRIs is similar in any way? ‘Floxing’ seems to have a larger focus on actual damage than talking of SSRI-related issues.

My friend from the site contacted a ‘withdrawal support coach’, and they readily made this comparison.

Has anyone looked into this further?

Thanks,

Icip.

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

• 1 month later...

I'm scared to take the antibiotics because I don't want to get sick again. What should I do, what my next step?

Short Term Case: 7 pill of 10 mg of Modafinil in a 3 month span, but last 3 I took back to back causing severe withdrawals, lasting 3 weeks. Than 2 pills lexapro to help withdrawal lead to more withdrawal.  I have most symptoms Pssd, emotional loss, cognitive issues, nerve damage in legs.  Also 2 benzodiazepines.  Not much to damage me long term...

I'm in the same situation, I need a root canal and they want me to take ABs too. I'd like to know what to do as well! 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

One suggestion I would make is to get the injection which does not have adrenaline in it.  I've had dental treatment with both types and there is a huge difference in how I have felt.  When given the adrenaline injection I spend the whole time in the chair trying to calm myself down.  With the non-adrenaline injection I have felt very calm, still having to use coping techniques but not having to "fight" down the anxiety caused by the adrenaline.  The injection does not last as long but if you have a good dentist they will know how/what to do and know and can always give a "top up" if needed.

Regarding the antibiotics I had to take a course when I had a tooth extracted 2 years ago because there was a major infection.  I was tapering and was fine.  My symptoms may have increased a bit for a short time.

HOWEVER, when they clean out the canals they put something in the tooth and then put a temporary filling over it.

I have quite a few root canals done and I only ever had to take antibiotics AFTER I got an infection.  The ironic thing was that the dentist had said to me at the time of the initial treatment that whatever he was putting in would kill all the infection.

So if you are concerned about the antibiotics then check with the dentist about what they put in the tooth and if he confirms that it should stop the infection then you could always accept the script and only take them if required.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Chessie were they injecting you with an antibiotic? Because I've heard they can do that, inject at the site of the tooth. 

Also they want me to take ABs before I have the root canal done.  What are they asking you to do Webhead, AB before or after treatment?  They may not even treat me if I don't take them so I don't know what to do.  Except maybe claim I took them and not take them lol

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Chessie were they injecting you with an antibiotic? Because I've heard they can do that, inject at the site of the tooth. 

I don't know what it was.  It was put inside the tooth after they did the first root canal treatment.

Possibly the reason they want you to take the AB before treatment is that they might be thinking that the AB will clear up the infection and you won't need the root canal treatment.

If it was me I'd be discussing it with the dentist.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I haven’t posted in a long time. I was doing a bit better and living my life just a little bit more humanly. (Still so many symptoms though..) 

Then around July I started to feel weak and had some recurring symptoms. Few weeks ago I was hit with a raging UTI that also went to my vulva. First had to take 7 days of antibiotics (which I quite well tolerated) but all hell broke loose when I started flagyl comp which is used straight to the lady parts. After 3 day, I developed one of the worst episodes of panic/anxiety/terror, shaking all over, insomnia, diarrhea, sweating, catastrophic thoughts, severe brain fog and dp/dr. I though I was going to die or lose my mind.

I stopped immediately taking the flagyl, I haven’t taken one since yesterday and still experiencing terrible agitation, diarrhea, terror and brain fog. It is a little bit better though. 

I’m wishing that this will pass once the antibiotics are out of my system but I am TERRIFIED that this will set me back to last year when I was bed bound the whole year, I am just not strong enough to claw myself back from that, just as I had gotten a little bit better.

I swear medications are just pure evil, this suffering is just endless!

• 1 month later...

Please help, severe setback from antibiotics

Hi all. 

I know there are a lot of similar topics like this and one with antibiotics as well. I posted there but it was quite an old thread. I also updated my introduction topic about this.

But I really need help.

I have never been in an acute wave like this before. Never felt this SI and deep hopelessness. And this one was caused by the antibiotic Flagyl, which I only took for 3 days.

It’s been 6 weeks now and I barely see any progress. This is hell and I cannot do it anymore, not after I clawed myself back to life in the period of 2 years after I first stopped the SSRI-medication. I was doing SO MUCH better already, living life and enjoying food, people and hobbies. 

My brain and CNS feel so broken and my gut is a mess, but I cannot tolerate any probiotics at the moment, they exaggerate the symptoms x 10. The only thing I take is a low magnesium supplement. 

My brain feels so weird. I have this rawness, tingling, itching and “electricity” in my head and in my spine all the time. I have a burning pressure in my head, constant tinnitus, SEVERE dissociation & dp/dr accompanying the head pressure and it makes me so desperate & feels like torture. I suffer with immense hopelessness, SI, doom, fear, terror and confusion 24/7. No amount of self care or meditation makes difference, and I’ve done all of it every day. I am just rocking in my bed or in my room and crying and hopeless and so out of it. 

This has broken my spirit and my older parents have to take care of me and I feel SO SO bad for them because they are so worried about me.

What do I do? How do I know this isn’t some brain damage that the drug caused and is going to last forever? How do I know this isn’t something serious or a gut infection or brain infection? When will this be over? I am so messed up I hardly know who I am anymore because I feel so extremely disconnected to everything and it feels like a nightmare.

Is there anything I can take to make my brain feel better? I’ve consulted 3 different doctors and none of them can help me because they’ve never heard anything like this before. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Dear @wildling, this resonated with me because I have experience with Flagyl from before withdrawal. It is known to be one of the most potent antibiotics and is reserved for serious cases because of its numerous side effects. Your side effects seem in line with what is reported https://www.rxlist.com/flagyl-side-effects-drug-center.htm. You might want to get them checked but you say that you have already been to several doctors. 

For me Flagyl was a disaster. I took it for a giardia infection in the early 2000s and it started almost a year long constant abdominal issues which eventually resulted in a colonoscopy that came out clean. The thing that actually cleared it for me was the colonoscopy itself. I am assuming that the colonoscopy prep which at the time involved drinking almost 4 liters of laxative liquids to clear the bowels (don't remember the specific liquids here) + enemas cleared the bad bacteria that Flagyl caused to overpopulate my gut by destroying the good bacteria. Have not had gut issues since (12-13 years ago).

From your signature I also notice that you might have jumped off of your benzo recently or you are cutting without measuring properly. These drugs (benzos and SSRIs) are incredibly potent at low doses. Could have that been an additional stressor so you are dealing with both withdrawal and Flagyl side effects? 

My expectation is that you will heal from this as well, whatever the cause. As you know, our bodies, brains included, are incredibly resilient and given time, rest and good care will recover. You have personal experience from this healing having achieved some normalcy over the course of cutting the oxazepam.

Please keep your hopes up, 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

@Onmyway Thank you for taking the time to answer me! I appreciate it very much. And for giving me hope.

I think I’ll need to try to drink a little bit more water although I drink plenty already and see if it would flush my body a bit more.

I’m still eating that small crumb, I was suppose to jump this fall but then this antibiotic reaction happened and I was advised to hold for now until the reaction subsides. I have however had pretty unstable taper for the last 2-3 months since I have not been able to measure my pills and had a time where I felt so much better that I actually forgot to take the pill few times. I am guessing there has been a lot of inter-dose withdrawal already happening. 

What does it mean that the benzos are potent even in the smallest of crumbs? 

I never got any decent help for this taper and then when I found this forum I was too tired to make any plans. It hasn’t been the most perfect taper and has taken me almost 2 years now with one reinstatement at the very beginning. I am quite conserned I have done some damage with this but fortunately my dosages have been quite small and I didn’t use them for years.

I wish I known that Flagyl is so toxic. None of the doctors had any idea about this reaction although I said to all of them that I had almost all of the side effects that are stated on the drug. 

I do hope that my body is strong enough to see this through. I have so many other issues like gut issues and low ferritin, which I’m unable to resolve right now due to the acute phase and my body being so incredibly sensitive to everything right now. 

I trust that if people have gotten off of much higher doses and had multiple CT’s or setbacks and still have recovered, maybe I also have a change. It just takes so much more time and willpower than we would like.

• Altostrata changed the title to Please help, severe setback from antibiotics
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello. How are you doing now?

I took flagyl and cipro about 2 and a half months ago for 10 days. And I experienced all of the things you describe and many others. Thankfully I am having some windows of feeling normal again. These drugs are terrible. Especially for people who are sensitive to them or have taken psych meds it seems.

Zoloft 200mg 2013 - current (went down to 100mg for one week in September 2020, but reinstated)
Buspar 15mg 2015 - current

Bad reaction to a 10 day course of Cipro and Flagyl in August 2020.

Current symptoms: Akathisia, anxiety and depression.

• Moderator Emeritus

merged similar topics

• 4 months later...

General question.

Do all antibiotics cause setbacks for those who are tapering? I am afraid of having to take one at some point and all I hear are horror stories about antibiotics setting people back.

2005-2009 Various ADs and maybe some random Ativan, nothing long-term

2009 Started Celexa 10 mg

2012 Symptoms of depression worsened when I quit drinking, started a course of Viibryd (10 mg), Buspar (5 mg), Xanax

2013 Hospitalized, added Lamictal in the hospital (quit Lamictal cold turkey in 2014)

2014 Switched back to Celexa from Viibryd

2015 Quit Buspar cold turkey

2016 Cut down to 5 mg of Celexa (all seemingly without issues)

June-August 2017 tapered off Celexa

October 2017 Hospitalized for insomnia (quit sleeping entirely)

reinstated w/ Trintellix 5mg (stopped in 1/18) and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine (in mgs) 2/18 5,  6/19 3.5, 9/25/19 3.2, 2/24/20 2.9, 3/2020 2.85, 6/20/20 2.5, 10/3/20 2.3, 11/30/20 2.1, 1/1/21 1.95 3/19/21 1.86 9/1/21 1.65 11/30 1.5 mgs 3/1/22 1.41 mgs 6/28/22 1.37 mgs 10/22 1.20 mgs

Daily supplements: 470 mgs magnesium, Miralax, 640 Omega complex, probiotic, testosterone 2 gms, progesterone 12.5 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA.  Please search to see if one already exists before creating a new topic.  SA likes to keep similar information in one topic so that it is easier for members to find other members' experiences and discussion about it.

Use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

When you have an infection your body automatically tries to fight it, so even if you do not take an antibiotic your withdrawal symptoms might worsen.  If you have an infection that needs to be treated then it may be better to take an antibiotic.  If you do not get rid of the infection you could end up with a worse problem, eg if you have a tooth infection that is left untreated you might end up with an infection in the jaw bone.  However it is worthwhile doing your research about different types of antibiotics.  It is also important to complete the course of antibiotics (ie take all of the tablets prescribed by the doctor), even if you start to feel better, then it is less likely that you would end up needing to take more.  Here is SA's topic: 

cipro-levaquin-azithromycin-z-pack-and-other-antibiotics

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

There are many existing topics on SA.  Please search to see if one already exists before creating a new topic.  SA likes to keep similar information in one topic so that it is easier for members to find other members' experiences and discussion about it.

Use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

When you have an infection your body automatically tries to fight it, so even if you do not take an antibiotic your withdrawal symptoms might worsen.  If you have an infection that needs to be treated then it may be better to take an antibiotic.  If you do not get rid of the infection you could end up with a worse problem, eg if you have a tooth infection that is left untreated you might end up with an infection in the jaw bone.  However it is worthwhile doing your research about different types of antibiotics.  It is also important to complete the course of antibiotics (ie take all of the tablets prescribed by the doctor), even if you start to feel better, then it is less likely that you would end up needing to take more.  Here is SA's topic: 

cipro-levaquin-azithromycin-z-pack-and-other-antibiotics

Thanks CC, I did some research and found a lot of great information. It sounds like it's basically a crap shoot as far as antibiotics go, but I will avoid quinolones at all costs.  I am in the final 6 weeks of my clinicals for grad school, and I cannot afford to have a huge WD related setback with full blown akathisia and zero sleep for days on end. I am so terrified of this happening.  I always have this looming anxiety about the bottom falling out. 

2005-2009 Various ADs and maybe some random Ativan, nothing long-term

2009 Started Celexa 10 mg

2012 Symptoms of depression worsened when I quit drinking, started a course of Viibryd (10 mg), Buspar (5 mg), Xanax

2013 Hospitalized, added Lamictal in the hospital (quit Lamictal cold turkey in 2014)

2014 Switched back to Celexa from Viibryd

2015 Quit Buspar cold turkey

2016 Cut down to 5 mg of Celexa (all seemingly without issues)

June-August 2017 tapered off Celexa

October 2017 Hospitalized for insomnia (quit sleeping entirely)

reinstated w/ Trintellix 5mg (stopped in 1/18) and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine (in mgs) 2/18 5,  6/19 3.5, 9/25/19 3.2, 2/24/20 2.9, 3/2020 2.85, 6/20/20 2.5, 10/3/20 2.3, 11/30/20 2.1, 1/1/21 1.95 3/19/21 1.86 9/1/21 1.65 11/30 1.5 mgs 3/1/22 1.41 mgs 6/28/22 1.37 mgs 10/22 1.20 mgs

Daily supplements: 470 mgs magnesium, Miralax, 640 Omega complex, probiotic, testosterone 2 gms, progesterone 12.5 mgs

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator
16 hours ago, Altostrata said:

The ingredient in antibiotics that causes problems is the antibiotic. People often have problems with Cipro and related drugs. If you had an allergic reaction to Cipro, you will want to put that in your health record and not take drugs from the fluoroquinolone family.

However, if you have a urinary tract infection and it can be treated with an antibiotic, you should take the antibiotic that is matched to the bacteria causing the infection. Urinary tract infections are often treated with Macrobid (nitrofurantoin). There are several others. You should tell your doctor you may be sensitive to antibiotics in general.

Please use common sense to address health issues.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Antibiotics While in Withdrawal

I want to add...where it is reasonable to believe a mistake may have been made about your health issue, make sure they have the right diagnosis. I was led to believe by a number of dentists that I had an infection in a problematic tooth.  I later saw a specialist dentist who had a closer look and found NO infection.  Two dentists wanted me to take antibiotics ahead of the dental treatment.

• Administrator

Antibiotics are terribly overprescribed. If possible, a test showing bacterial infection should precede prescription.

(Sometimes there are emergencies where doctors take their best guess and prescribe an antibiotic before getting a positive test result. In an emergency, this is okay. If it's not an emergency, they're just being lazy.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I agree 100%. 

My setback was caused by antibiotics for UTI, but there was never any culture done and I suspect there never was any infection to begin with. I’ve heard a lot of people tapering have had UTI kind of symptoms.

I wish I had known all of this. I wish the doctors were more educated about this. It seems so futile to almost lose ones life over doctors carelessness concerning medication safety and diagnosis. They honestly give out antibiotics like candy and then do not take responsibility of the adverse affects. 

I agree they are overprescribed. I am sorry you had to go through that wildling.  Where I live it can be very hard to get them to run relevant tests. I wish we had a system in my country that allowed for people to pay out of pocket for (the cheaper) tests if they disagreed with the doctor. I have lost track of how many times they would not run a test I wanted.  It's so frustrating!

• 5 months later...

Amoxicillin is considered to be the most tolerated AB? Has anybody used Clindamycin without problems?

I had a tooth extracted 5 days ago (chronic infection under root canal that started to get worse), hoping AB is not needed. I was starting to feel better yesterday and even dentist thought I was doing fine with no signs of bad infection. But it is possible the infection is getting worse now (pain came back, slightly higher fever), so some kind on antibacterial treatment might be necessary.

Dentist prescribed Clindamycin, saying it has no interactions with my medications. This is not true of course.

I don´t tolerate drugs at all, nearly fainted after they injected the anesthetic. But I was OKish later and was able to take ibuprofen for pain, with some mild to moderate reactions. But I feel I am taking such a big risk with the antibiotics and want to ask for an advice. Which one would be safer option? I read that with Clindamycin the risk of Clostridium Difficile infection is higher. And Clindamycin has longer half life, so it is more difficult to squeeze it in between my own drugs. 

For me  amoxicillin seems to be slightly safer first choice...

I tried Pau d´Arco yesterday, it has helped some people with tooth infections. It gave me quite unpleasant reaction. Maybe I will try it again, AB is probably worse. 

Interactions from drugbank.com.

Amoxicillin: Amoxicillin may decrease the excretion rate of Quetiapine which could result in a higher serum level. Diazepam may decrease the excretion rate of Amoxicillin which could result in a higher serum level. The serum concentration of Magnesium can be decreased when it is combined with Amoxicillin. 

Clindamycin: The metabolism of Clindamycin can be decreased when combined with Diazepam. The metabolism of Quetiapine can be decreased when combined with Clindamycin. The risk or severity of neuromuscular blockade can be increased when Clindamycin is combined with Magnesium citrate

On and off several drugs since 1995.

2009: march - sulpiride 100 mg (AP Betamaks), quetiapine 25 mg ,stopped both by the end of the year

09. 2010: sulpiride 100 mg, quetiapine 25 mg, zopiclone 3,75 mg, anafranil (stopped anafranil after three months, had side effects), bromazepam occasionally. 03.2012: started lamotrigine (lamictal) 75 mg. 03.2013-12.2014 tapered sulpiride, last dose december 2013. 02.2014-06.2014 lamictal from 75 mg to 65 mg; 11.2014-05.2015 lamictal from 65 mg to 15 mg, zopiclone from 3,75 to 2,5

08.2015-01.2016: insomnia (at first due to personal crisis), started taking extra zopiclone as needed, doses different, every day 3,75-7 mg, sometimes more), developed withdrawal insomnia.

04.2016 zopiclone interdose withdrawal, started crossover from zopiclone to diazepam

02.2019: lamictal 15 mg, quetiapine 25 mg, zopiclone 0,54 mg, diazepam 5 mg

2020 cancer diagnosis, operation and radiation therapy

2021 vit d reduction in febr from 5000 iu to 2000. Severe reaction, reinstated to 4000 iu in march. Akathisia and major sleep issues so far. 

2022 started zopiclone microtaper. histamine intolerance. lot of dental work with local anesthesia+painkillers

19.4.23 lamictal 15 mg, quetiapine 25 mg, zopiclone 0,051 mg, diazepam 5 mg

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

VIDEO WARNING about Fluoroquinolones:  moxifloxacin, ciprofloxacin, ciprofloxacin extended release, gemifloxacin, levofloxacin and ofloxacin

Antibiotics with the WORST Side Effects (Dangerous Antibiotics) Fluoroquinolones

Youtube video by KenDBerryMD

I have included the transcript in case the video ever disappears or gets moved from its current location.  Also, some people might find reading it easier than listening to the video.

Transcript of video without timestamps (transcript with timestamps at bottom of post)

I shouldn't have to make this video and
you should not have to watch this video
but when the level of the average
doctor's laziness and or
incompetence reaches a certain level
then I have to reach out to you and say
hey you need to be aware of this even
though you're not a doctor and it's not
your job
this is very important this is about a
class of antibiotics that are very much
over over prescribed in the United
States and in other countries that have
a serious Black Box warning
own the package insert and that harm
thousands of patients a year that should
not be prescribed for common infections
yet still are each and every day I'm Dr
Ken Berry a family physician let me
explain what's going on to you so that
you can be prepared to protect your
yourself and your family in case your
doctor is just not willing to do the job
that they signed up to do
there are currently six different drugs
that are FDA approved in this drug class
and I'm going to put a visual up so you
can look at this maybe take a screenshot
come back and watch this again later and
write these down moxifloxacin
ciprofloxacin ciprofloxacin extended
release
jimifloxacin
levofloxacin andofloxacin these are the
fluoroquinolones
these drugs are very commonly prescribed
by primary care doctors for such such
inconsequential infections as sinus
infections bronchitis skin infections
and bladder infections urinary tract
infections now first and foremost you
should understand that the vast majority
of sinus infections and bronchitis
are caused by viruses which no
antibiotic fights or treats or improves
at all so 85 percent of the time if you
have a sinus infection or an ear
infection or a bronchial infection or a
throat infection
it's a virus no antibiotic on the planet
is going to shorten the amount of time
you're sick is going to fight the virus
is going to heal you faster the average
doctor should know this many of them
seem not to know this at all
so very commonly for a sinus infection
either Levaquin levofloxacin or Cipro
ciprofloxacin is prescribed for a sinus
infection which uh 85 of the time is
viral and the other 15 of the time if it
is bacterial
there are other less harmful less severe
less powerful antibiotics that will
treat the bacterial sinus infection just
fine without all the disastrous side
effects and complications that I'm going
to tell you about in just a minute that
come along with this drug class the same
goes for bronchitis the vast majority of
the time it's viral you don't need an
antibiotic at all in the 15 percent of
cases that are bacterial there are very
inexpensive very safe antibiotics that
will treat that bronchitis just fine
without you having all the potential
side effects that come along with the
fluoroquinolones same goes for bladder
infections and pelvic infections 85
percent of the time they're viral or
fungal uh 15 of the time they are
bacterial but you can take a much
cheaper much safer antibiotic for them
so the question becomes is why are
primary care doctors why are Internal
Medicine doctors Family Medicine doctor
years OB gyns pediatricians uh
gerontologists why are they prescribing
this basically an a nuclear bomb
when all that is needed is just a small
caliber rifle why are they doing that
well
the majority of the time it's out of
habit they've been prescribing Cipro for
bladder infections for years or they've
been prescribing levofloxacin for sinus
infection for years that's just what
they do that's the only tool that they
know how to use in the toolbox
many primary care doctors think that you
expect
to receive an antibiotic prescription if
you have some sort of infection that you
went to the doctor to get checked and
indeed that is true with some patients
they they expect a prescription for an
antibiotic and they'll get upset if they
don't get one now that does Place some
extra pressure on the primary care
doctor to prescribe an antibiotic but
that still doesn't mean that they should
and it definitely does not mean that
they should prescribe one of these
fluoroquinolones so every single drug in
this drug class has a black box warning
that the Physicians should 100 percent
know about
and should 100 of the time discuss with
you before they write the prescription
and before you accept the prescription
fill the prescription and take the
prescription so in this particular case
all of the fluoroquinolones contain a
black box warning saying that they they
could potentially cause irreversible
damage to tendons and to peripheral
nerves so uh tendonitis tendon rupture
peripheral neuropathy these things can
not only happen but they could be
permanent
very very very concerning uh if you have
myasthenia gravis then you absolutely
should never take a fluoroquinolone
unless it's given to you by a specialist
after you've had the discussion hey I
have mg are you sure I should take Cipro
uh and them say yes I understand there
is a risk but the benefits outweigh the
risks so every doctor before they give
you
one of these fluoroquinolones
they should have first of all have an
internal discussion in their own brain
whether they should be writing this
prescription or Not For What diagnosis
they've given you
but every single patient who receives
the fluoroquinolone should give informed
consent
before they take that
antibiotic and what that means is that
the doctor actually had a discussion
with you hey this has got a black black
box box warning it could cause permanent
nerve damage it could cause
permanent tendinitis I just wanted you
to be aware of that I think you need
this antibiotic do you accept the risks
of this antibiotic to which the patient
would either say uh yes or hell no and
that's what informed consent means so
how many of you guys have been given
Cipro or Levaquin or avilox and you're
like no the doctor didn't tell me there
was a black box warning no they didn't
tell me I could have permanent nerve
damage
from taking that so you were not given a
chance to give your doctor informed
consent to use that treatment on you I
think that's kind of a big deal the only
time you should be given a
fluoroquinolone and accept one from your
doctor for a sinus infection a lung
infection or a bladder infection is if
number one the doctor discussed this
with you and you gave informed consent
but and also the doctor said look there
is no other antibiotic that this
bacteria is susceptible to this is the
only one that will work or your
infection is so serious that I think it
endangers your life therefore the the
benefits of taking this fluoroquinolone
outweighs the risks otherwise
that you should never take a
fluoroquinolone in an outpatient setting
now if you're an inpatient in a hospital
especially if you're in the Intensive
Care Unit if you're close to death then
of course we're going to pull out all
the big guns as a doctor and we might
give you things that have potential
potentially significant risks
just to get the benefits that they may
give you because there may be no other
antibiotic in the pharmacy that's going
to save your life but if you're in an
outpatient setting you went to a
doctor's office or an urgent care and
they give you levofloxacin ciprofloxacin
any of the fluoroquinolones and they
don't let you give informed consent and
they don't tell you hey there's no other
drug that will fix this if basically
what happens is they're like I'm a lazy
ass doctor and I don't want to really
look anything up so I've been giving
Cipro for years for sinus infection so
that's what you're going to get that's
completely inappropriate and borderline
malpractice
so the things mentioned in the Black Box
warning are not the only disaster side
effects that the fluoroquinolones are
known for they're also known for muscle
pain muscle weakness joint pain joint
swelling
psychosis anxiety insomnia depression
Suicidal Thoughts hallucinations
and then you can see from the rest of
this chart several of the things now
keep in mind that all the
fluoroquinolones are very powerful
antibiotics and so they're basically
going to carpet bomb your gut bacteria
and so you could wind up having C
difficile Associated diarrhea or a whole
host of other gastrointestinal symptoms
from bloating to diarrhea to
constipation to gut pain to cramping
because you basically carpet bombed all
of the nice friendly bacteria in your
guts so I'm going to put the list of
medications and these are only the ones
that are FDA approved in the United
States if you're in another country
there's quite possibly other brand names
that are not on this list and there may
even be other fluoroquinolones generics
that are not on this list so you're
going to have to do your due diligence
since it's very obvious from the number
of prescriptions written
uh that that pharmacies keep a tally up
that doctors are still grossly over
prescribing the fluoroquinolones for
infections that they should never be
prescribed for so I want you to memorize
this list maybe even print this out and
keep this in your wallet or your purse
uh and then anytime you go to the doctor
with an infection when they give you an
antibiotic prescription you're going to
look on this list and see if it's one of
these and if it is you're going to have
a discussion with your doctor at that
point and say Doc why didn't you tell me
there was a black box warning for this
drug why didn't you tell me that this
could cause Suicidal Thoughts is there
not another antibiotic that you could
have given me besides Cipro or
levofloxacin is that really that's
that's the one that you're going to give
me and after that conversation I think
from that day forward your doctor will
perhaps be on his or her toes as they
should have been anyway and won't make
such a dastardly mistake again I put
links to the FDA web side about the
fluoroquinolones down in the show notes
below please be vigilant we should be
able to trust our doctors when we go to
them with a complaint but very often
we're not able to trust our doctors and
therefore you have to be more Vigilant
when you go to the doctor than you
should have to be I'm sorry about that
but I also want you to be aware this is
Dr Berry I'll see you next time

Transcript with timestamps:

0:00
I shouldn't have to make this video and
0:02
you should not have to watch this video
0:04
but when the level of the average
0:07
doctor's laziness and or
0:11
incompetence reaches a certain level
0:14
then I have to reach out to you and say
0:16
hey you need to be aware of this even
0:19
though you're not a doctor and it's not
0:20
your job
0:22
this is very important this is about a
0:25
class of antibiotics that are very much
0:28
over over prescribed in the United
0:30
States and in other countries that have
0:33
a serious Black Box warning
0:35
own the package insert and that harm
0:39
thousands of patients a year that should
0:42
not be prescribed for common infections
0:45
yet still are each and every day I'm Dr
0:48
Ken Berry a family physician let me
0:51
explain what's going on to you so that
0:53
you can be prepared to protect your
0:55
yourself and your family in case your
0:58
doctor is just not willing to do the job
1:01
that they signed up to do
1:03
there are currently six different drugs
1:05
that are FDA approved in this drug class
1:08
and I'm going to put a visual up so you
1:10
can look at this maybe take a screenshot
1:12
come back and watch this again later and
1:15
write these down moxifloxacin
1:17
ciprofloxacin ciprofloxacin extended
1:20
release
1:22
jimifloxacin
1:24
levofloxacin andofloxacin these are the
1:27
fluoroquinolones
1:29
these drugs are very commonly prescribed
1:32
by primary care doctors for such such
1:36
inconsequential infections as sinus
1:39
infections bronchitis skin infections
1:42
and bladder infections urinary tract
1:45
infections now first and foremost you
1:48
should understand that the vast majority
1:49
of sinus infections and bronchitis
1:53
are caused by viruses which no
1:55
antibiotic fights or treats or improves
1:58
at all so 85 percent of the time if you
2:02
have a sinus infection or an ear
2:04
infection or a bronchial infection or a
2:07
throat infection
2:09
it's a virus no antibiotic on the planet
2:13
is going to shorten the amount of time
2:14
you're sick is going to fight the virus
2:17
is going to heal you faster the average
2:19
doctor should know this many of them
2:21
seem not to know this at all
2:25
so very commonly for a sinus infection
2:29
either Levaquin levofloxacin or Cipro
2:32
ciprofloxacin is prescribed for a sinus
2:35
infection which uh 85 of the time is
2:38
viral and the other 15 of the time if it
2:40
is bacterial
2:42
there are other less harmful less severe
2:46
less powerful antibiotics that will
2:48
treat the bacterial sinus infection just
2:52
fine without all the disastrous side
2:55
effects and complications that I'm going
2:56
to tell you about in just a minute that
2:58
come along with this drug class the same
3:01
goes for bronchitis the vast majority of
3:03
the time it's viral you don't need an
3:04
antibiotic at all in the 15 percent of
3:08
cases that are bacterial there are very
3:10
inexpensive very safe antibiotics that
3:13
will treat that bronchitis just fine
3:15
without you having all the potential
3:18
side effects that come along with the
3:20
fluoroquinolones same goes for bladder
3:22
infections and pelvic infections 85
3:26
percent of the time they're viral or
3:28
fungal uh 15 of the time they are
3:30
bacterial but you can take a much
3:32
cheaper much safer antibiotic for them
3:35
so the question becomes is why are
3:38
primary care doctors why are Internal
3:40
Medicine doctors Family Medicine doctor
3:42
years OB gyns pediatricians uh
3:46
gerontologists why are they prescribing
3:48
this basically an a nuclear bomb
3:52
when all that is needed is just a small
3:56
caliber rifle why are they doing that
3:58
well
3:59
the majority of the time it's out of
4:02
habit they've been prescribing Cipro for
4:04
bladder infections for years or they've
4:06
been prescribing levofloxacin for sinus
4:10
infection for years that's just what
4:11
they do that's the only tool that they
4:14
know how to use in the toolbox
4:16
many primary care doctors think that you
4:19
expect
4:21
to receive an antibiotic prescription if
4:23
you have some sort of infection that you
4:25
went to the doctor to get checked and
4:28
indeed that is true with some patients
4:30
they they expect a prescription for an
4:33
antibiotic and they'll get upset if they
4:35
don't get one now that does Place some
4:38
extra pressure on the primary care
4:40
doctor to prescribe an antibiotic but
4:43
that still doesn't mean that they should
4:45
and it definitely does not mean that
4:48
they should prescribe one of these
4:50
fluoroquinolones so every single drug in
4:53
this drug class has a black box warning
4:57
that the Physicians should 100 percent
5:00
know about
5:01
and should 100 of the time discuss with
5:05
you before they write the prescription
5:08
and before you accept the prescription
5:10
fill the prescription and take the
5:12
prescription so in this particular case
5:15
all of the fluoroquinolones contain a
5:17
black box warning saying that they they
5:20
could potentially cause irreversible
5:23
damage to tendons and to peripheral
5:27
nerves so uh tendonitis tendon rupture
5:31
peripheral neuropathy these things can
5:33
not only happen but they could be
5:35
permanent
5:36
very very very concerning uh if you have
5:41
myasthenia gravis then you absolutely
5:43
should never take a fluoroquinolone
5:46
unless it's given to you by a specialist
5:48
after you've had the discussion hey I
5:51
have mg are you sure I should take Cipro
5:54
uh and them say yes I understand there
5:57
is a risk but the benefits outweigh the
6:00
risks so every doctor before they give
6:03
you
6:04
one of these fluoroquinolones
6:07
they should have first of all have an
6:10
internal discussion in their own brain
6:11
whether they should be writing this
6:13
prescription or Not For What diagnosis
6:15
they've given you
6:16
but every single patient who receives
6:18
the fluoroquinolone should give informed
6:22
consent
6:23
before they take that
6:25
antibiotic and what that means is that
6:27
the doctor actually had a discussion
6:29
with you hey this has got a black black
6:31
box box warning it could cause permanent
6:34
nerve damage it could cause
6:36
permanent tendinitis I just wanted you
6:40
to be aware of that I think you need
6:42
this antibiotic do you accept the risks
6:45
of this antibiotic to which the patient
6:47
would either say uh yes or hell no and
6:51
that's what informed consent means so
6:53
how many of you guys have been given
6:55
Cipro or Levaquin or avilox and you're
6:58
like no the doctor didn't tell me there
7:00
was a black box warning no they didn't
7:02
tell me I could have permanent nerve
7:03
damage
7:04
from taking that so you were not given a
7:08
chance to give your doctor informed
7:10
consent to use that treatment on you I
7:13
think that's kind of a big deal the only
7:15
time you should be given a
7:17
fluoroquinolone and accept one from your
7:20
doctor for a sinus infection a lung
7:23
infection or a bladder infection is if
7:26
number one the doctor discussed this
7:28
with you and you gave informed consent
7:29
but and also the doctor said look there
7:32
is no other antibiotic that this
7:34
bacteria is susceptible to this is the
7:36
only one that will work or your
7:40
infection is so serious that I think it
7:42
endangers your life therefore the the
7:45
benefits of taking this fluoroquinolone
7:48
outweighs the risks otherwise
7:51
that you should never take a
7:53
fluoroquinolone in an outpatient setting
7:56
now if you're an inpatient in a hospital
7:58
especially if you're in the Intensive
8:00
Care Unit if you're close to death then
8:02
of course we're going to pull out all
8:04
the big guns as a doctor and we might
8:06
give you things that have potential
8:08
potentially significant risks
8:11
just to get the benefits that they may
8:13
give you because there may be no other
8:15
antibiotic in the pharmacy that's going
8:18
to save your life but if you're in an
8:19
outpatient setting you went to a
8:21
doctor's office or an urgent care and
8:23
they give you levofloxacin ciprofloxacin
8:26
any of the fluoroquinolones and they
8:29
don't let you give informed consent and
8:31
they don't tell you hey there's no other
8:32
drug that will fix this if basically
8:35
what happens is they're like I'm a lazy
8:37
ass doctor and I don't want to really
8:39
look anything up so I've been giving
8:40
Cipro for years for sinus infection so
8:43
that's what you're going to get that's
8:45
completely inappropriate and borderline
8:47
malpractice
8:49
so the things mentioned in the Black Box
8:51
warning are not the only disaster side
8:54
effects that the fluoroquinolones are
8:56
known for they're also known for muscle
8:59
pain muscle weakness joint pain joint
9:02
swelling
9:03
psychosis anxiety insomnia depression
9:07
Suicidal Thoughts hallucinations
9:10
and then you can see from the rest of
9:13
this chart several of the things now
9:14
keep in mind that all the
9:16
fluoroquinolones are very powerful
9:18
antibiotics and so they're basically
9:21
going to carpet bomb your gut bacteria
9:24
and so you could wind up having C
9:26
difficile Associated diarrhea or a whole
9:29
host of other gastrointestinal symptoms
9:32
from bloating to diarrhea to
9:34
constipation to gut pain to cramping
9:36
because you basically carpet bombed all
9:39
of the nice friendly bacteria in your
9:42
guts so I'm going to put the list of
9:44
medications and these are only the ones
9:46
that are FDA approved in the United
9:48
States if you're in another country
9:50
there's quite possibly other brand names
9:52
that are not on this list and there may
9:55
even be other fluoroquinolones generics
9:58
that are not on this list so you're
10:00
going to have to do your due diligence
10:02
since it's very obvious from the number
10:05
of prescriptions written
10:08
uh that that pharmacies keep a tally up
10:10
that doctors are still grossly over
10:12
prescribing the fluoroquinolones for
10:15
infections that they should never be
10:17
prescribed for so I want you to memorize
10:19
this list maybe even print this out and
10:22
keep this in your wallet or your purse
10:24
uh and then anytime you go to the doctor
10:27
with an infection when they give you an
10:29
antibiotic prescription you're going to
10:30
look on this list and see if it's one of
10:32
these and if it is you're going to have
10:34
a discussion with your doctor at that
10:36
point and say Doc why didn't you tell me
10:38
there was a black box warning for this
10:39
drug why didn't you tell me that this
10:41
could cause Suicidal Thoughts is there
10:44
not another antibiotic that you could
10:46
have given me besides Cipro or
10:48
levofloxacin is that really that's
10:50
that's the one that you're going to give
10:51
me and after that conversation I think
10:54
from that day forward your doctor will
10:56
perhaps be on his or her toes as they
10:59
should have been anyway and won't make
11:03
such a dastardly mistake again I put
11:06
links to the FDA web side about the
11:09
fluoroquinolones down in the show notes
11:11
below please be vigilant we should be
11:14
able to trust our doctors when we go to
11:16
them with a complaint but very often
11:19
we're not able to trust our doctors and
11:21
therefore you have to be more Vigilant
11:24
when you go to the doctor than you
11:26
should have to be I'm sorry about that
11:28
but I also want you to be aware this is
11:31
Dr Berry I'll see you next time

• 5 months later...

I’d always get super agitated and feel angry and anxious on prednisone for allergies/infections as a kid. 

Does this have connection to agitation/akithisia/other bad reactions to psych meds? 

Aug 2020 - Feb 2022 on and off Lexapro 5 and 10mg,  Rapid taper

Nov 2021 - May 2022 on off Wellbutrin 100mg, 150mg, 75mg CT clindamycin cycle and also Plan B bc 1x 

Fall 2020- June 2022 - Xanax .5 PRN usually 4x a week, CT 

June 2022 - Z pack, Buspar 7.5 3 days

September 20-24th - low tryptophan diet and 20-30g beef gelatin powder

Oct 3- 16 - Xanax .5 for sleep each pm, 1 mg Ativan in ER, .25 Xanax —> .125–>0 

Oct 14-17Trazadone 50/75, Lunesta 3mg 

Oct 24-  start Belsomra, 4 days to20mg 

Nov 3-5 10mg Belsomra and 300mg Gabapentin 

Oct 13-Dec 1 Buspar 7.5 2x/day rapid taper over 2 weeks due to ADR 

Recent: Belsomra 20mg since 10/23/2022 to 15mg mid December for 2 nights —> 20mg —> 15 mg since 12/22/2022 —>14 mg compounded 02/11/2023 —> 15 mg 2/13 —> 10mg 2/22 —> 5mg 3/1 —> 0mg 3/8/2023 

Current:  Propanolol 20mg AM, 10mg 4pm, 20mg PM since 11/30/2022

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently researching antibiotics as there is a chance that I will have to take something to cure H Pylori (I have tried almost everything that had some clinical efficacy shown in studies, but sadly nothing seems to work) and I have found a possible reason why floxies and us react so badly to Metronidazole, and by proxy to any nitroimidazole antibiotic.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11927654_Inhibition_of_monoamine_oxidase_by_metronidazole

Every serotonergic in its drug info sheet has an adnotation to absolutely avoid taking any monoamine oxydase inhibitor with it, from what I've understood Metronidazole inhibited MAO by 90% so for sensitised people it seems to be a death sentence. MAO inhibition was due to imidazoline rings binding to receptor sites in the brain as all nitroimidazoles cross blood brain barrier, so I presume every antibiotic of this group is extremely risky.

Furazolidone also inhibits MAO:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7470738/

Research is on chickens but I doubt that it has no such effect in humans.

Here is some more on other nitrofurans:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00997076

There were some that didn't inhibit MAO "Only those nitrofuran derivatives, which contain a hydrazine moiety that also inhibited the enzyme, were MAO inhibitors. The same was true for DAO; both enzymes were inhibited irreversibly" so I would think that caution is required.

David Healy thinks that tetracyclines are SRI's, I haven't found any research on this, but there are some doxycycline horror stories on Rxisk, but no other tetracyclines, from this group only doxycycline crosses the blood brain barrier, so maybe this is the cause.

For people with H Pylori, there are many natural ways to eradicate the bacterium, but the efficacy is moderate, at most 65% reported for combination of PPI and L Reuteri probiotic in one study, in others probiotics have at most a 30% eradication rate.

As to antibiotic therapy for H Pylori so to not go off topic there is a HDDT therapy, short for High Dose Dual Therapy, consisting of high doses of PPI and Amoxicillin, the problem with this approach is that high efficacy (>90%) is reported mainly in China, in Europe efficacy is moderate around 60%, I have found only two studies from Germany with higher eradication rate:

83,8% per protocol (means people that took most of their meds, probably more than 90%)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12950604/

This one is 4x40mg omeprazole + 4x750mg Amoxicillin daily, very high dose of PPI, which can be a problem due to CYP450 inhibitory actions of PPI's:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22648560/

Study is on CYP2C19 as this enzyme is inhibited the most, but there are some weaker effects on other enzymes, it has to be taken into account as all H Pylori treatments have PPI in them so sadly there is no other way.

91% per protocol

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8273795/

This is really interesting one as it has standard doses of PPI with either Amoxicillin IV 3x1g (with 93% eradication rate) or 6x500mg orally, so it is possible that eradication rate is higher with more frequent oral dosing. IV is another beast as it bypasses 1st pass metabolism, so I presume it stays longer so dosing 6 times is not necessary.

And as a curiosity I can add last one with IV therapy, but only for 3 days, which could be easier to soldier through than 14 days oral therapy

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12069699/

Efficacy is a little iffy as they've gotten good results with patients with duodenal ulcers, but moderate with gastric ulcers (87,5% vs 63,6%)

Hope this post will help someone, somewhere, sometime, if anyone wants to get more info on these natural methods studies which I have mentioned PM me :)

Wishing us a lifelong window!

V.

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

@ElaineBenes5

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8801186/#:~:text=Prednisone%2C the prodrug of prednisolone,%2C behavioral%2C and cognitive changes.

"Prednisone, the prodrug of prednisolone, has been implicated as the cause of neuropsychiatric symptoms such as depression, mania, agitation, delirium, dementia, psychosis, and many other affective, behavioral, and cognitive changes."

Yeah, I think we have some people who were prescribed psych drugs due to unrecognised reaction to steroids. But it is a little off-topic in antibiotics thread.

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

I grew up using a lot of antibiotics for very silly ailments that they were largely overkill for. Since this ordeal, I’ve been using salt water soaks for minor cuts, especially those on hands/fingers, and salt water gargles. Preventative and mild germ killer. It’s been helpful because in the past, I would have used Neosporin or else even taken antibiotics for some cuts that became irritated. 

Aug 2020 - Feb 2022 on and off Lexapro 5 and 10mg,  Rapid taper

Nov 2021 - May 2022 on off Wellbutrin 100mg, 150mg, 75mg CT clindamycin cycle and also Plan B bc 1x 

Fall 2020- June 2022 - Xanax .5 PRN usually 4x a week, CT 

June 2022 - Z pack, Buspar 7.5 3 days

September 20-24th - low tryptophan diet and 20-30g beef gelatin powder

Oct 3- 16 - Xanax .5 for sleep each pm, 1 mg Ativan in ER, .25 Xanax —> .125–>0 

Oct 14-17Trazadone 50/75, Lunesta 3mg 

Oct 24-  start Belsomra, 4 days to20mg 

Nov 3-5 10mg Belsomra and 300mg Gabapentin 

Oct 13-Dec 1 Buspar 7.5 2x/day rapid taper over 2 weeks due to ADR 

Recent: Belsomra 20mg since 10/23/2022 to 15mg mid December for 2 nights —> 20mg —> 15 mg since 12/22/2022 —>14 mg compounded 02/11/2023 —> 15 mg 2/13 —> 10mg 2/22 —> 5mg 3/1 —> 0mg 3/8/2023 

Current:  Propanolol 20mg AM, 10mg 4pm, 20mg PM since 11/30/2022

I know for most dental work amoxicillin is the go to . I’m on 0.5 mg lorazepam 4x a day , they called in 500mg amoxicillin. 
becauee I’m on lorazepam as mentioned I think I’d rather opt for maybe doing 500mg twice a day . They had said take 4x a day but the place that filled isn’t my normal pharmacy with all my meds on file it was the nearest pharmacy . so I’m assuming they said 4x a day @500mg because they were thinking of a person on no additional meds. 

Hopefully I can get some input from others on lorazepam who had to use amoxicillin. 
drug interaction thing online said no interaction but my regular pharmacist said there can be interactions with lorazepam at high amoxicillin amounts per day . 
so I’m kinda unsure what to think/do. Ugh. I wanna get this infection taken care of following my dental work yesterday but don’t want to create a big mess either 

prior to 2000 - amitriptyline - tapered off 2-3 week (? OMW)

Jan 2000  - Jul 2000 clonazepam

July 2000 - Feb 2001 paxil 

????? OMW

100 mg amitriptyline

7/14/20 - 8/5/20 - 75mg of amitriptyline 

8/6/20 - 8/27/20-  50mg of amitriptyline 

8/28/20- 9/18/20 - 25mg of amitriptyline

9/19/20 - 10/10/20 - 12.5 mg amitriptyline

10/11/20 - 10/31/20  - 6.25 mg , stopped 10/31/20

11/21/20 - 11/19/20  12.5 

11/19/20 - now 25 mg amitriptyline 

Currently on: celexa 60mg once a day (year started? years changes in dose), guanfacine 2mg (year started? year of changes in dose if any?)  lorazepam 2mg (split 4x a day) (months/year started/changed?) 

• 2 weeks later...

Antibiotics:

Dental work:

If you click on the site search function you can search for keywords in all areas or in certain areas of the website. I, for example, put antibiotics in the search function in the symptoms and self care topics. 

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/18/2023 at 3:59 PM, draggin49 said:

input from others on lorazepam who had to use amoxicillin. 

Back when I was on Lorazepam, I used Amoxicillin (on more than one occasion, I think) without any problems.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 3 months later...

I was prescribed this for vaginosis. I did not start taking it. I am very scared. Is there an alternative I should ask for? 

Also, I searched for this topic. Again, this site confuses me and I only found some old conversations between someone and another from 2010-no helpful info for me. 

Can anyone help me? What do I tell my OBGYN? They already think I am crazy because I just have a lot of anxiety and especially health anxiety. 

2013-16 Adderall XR  and klonopin 1 mg 3x       neurontin 600 mg 2017 klonopin 2 mg 3x Add 30 mg Adderall

2018    Vyvanse 70 mg  Klonopin 1 mg 2x  2019 adderall 15 mg IR Vyvanse 40 mg 

December 2019 - May 2020 Baclofen 10 mg, 2-3 times a day 2020:   Vyvanse 50 mg Klonopin .5 mg 2 x

December 2020 - reinstated Baclofen 10 mg, stopped and restarted in January 2021 

February 3, 2021 - Baclofen reduced from 10 mg to 5 mg and reduced to 2.5 March 2021 * was not using this daily except in past
2021: tapered Vyvanse 50 mg apr -May and D/C May 2021. Klonopin .5 mg 2x, Baclofen 5 mg pm D/C in Feb?? Reinstated buy take Tzinidine 4 mg as of May 2021 @ bedtime May 10 2021= klonopin .650 mg liquid micro-tapering

Hello,  I am being treated for Lyme disease and I am on antibiotics.  My depression has become worst.  I am tapering currently and at a hold right now.  Can antibiotics disrupt everything or is there other things going on?

1991- Put on Prozac for menstrual problems 1991-2000: On Zoloft most of this time , 100mg . Max .2002 - Miscarriage . Proceeded to go off medication due to this. Got pregnant 2nd and was off medication for first trimester. Servere withdrawl problems went back on after first trimester. .2003-2010 Continued on Zoloft, Strattera 2010-2014 Lamictal Added. 2016 - Frontal Lobe Brain Tumor Discovered 2017 - Brain Surgery - stopped any attempts to taper. 2019 - 6 month polydrugged episode that included Lorazapeam,Rexulti,Pristiq,Gabapentin,Cymbalta,Ensam (after off antidepressants), Latuda, Abilify and Prozac. End of 2019 in October ended up in hospital with Akathesia and a slew of other symptoms. 2020-2021 Successfully tapered off: Lamictal, and all other meds except Lorazapam . Did a taper for 18 months off Lorazapam - Milk taper. 2021-current :Been tapering off Zoloft since February 2021 with good success at 29.9mg. Other Meds and Supplement .01 mg of biodentical Estridol and 100 mg progesterone (bioidentical) Vita C, Vita D, Omegas, Probitoics, Multiple Vitamin, Melatonin 2.5 mg. (at night), Apple Pectin.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 👋 hoping for some guidance... does anyone know if topical antibiotics have set people back?

I have horrific cystic acne from lithium and my Dr has prescribed topical clyndamicin in addition to Spironolactone that I'm already on. I've used it before but wasnt in WD.

The clyndamicin effects on my skin were not amazing but I'm desperate for any extra help I can get for the acne. 

I can't further reduce lithium yet. 

my other option is accutane or birth control which I am trying to avoid. 

It's severe all over lower face and neck and ive stopped all socialising because of it. 😭 

Thank you x 

2004-2010 Sertraline (15years old). 2010-2012 Poly-drugged with many AP's, SNRIs, PRN Benzo's. 

2012-2017 Lithium 1250mg, Lexapro 10mg. Titrated off Lithium over 2 years in 2016-17.

2018-2021 Lexapro 5mg. Valium PRN small doses. 2020 Recommenced low dose Lithium. Spironolactone. 

2022 - Lithium taper from 625mg to 62mg between May and December. 5mg Accutane May-December. 

2022 - Lexapro taper 7.5mg to 3mg over 10 weeks in September - November. 

2023 - Jan - 2 doses 5mg oral Compazine (immediate ADR). Three doses of 0.25 Klonipin - discontinued. 

2023 - Feb reinstated 6.5mg Lexapro and 325mg Lithium, 25mg Spironolactone then 37.5mg.

2023 - March - May: titrated to 4.5mg Lex at 5-10% and reduced to 250mg Lithium.

27th May: Increased Spiro to 100mg

Jun 23 - Reinstated 4.75mg Lex, 375mg Lithium. July 22 - Reduced Spiro to 50mg. 03 Aug - Commenced 25mg P-5-P

Current meds 4.75mg Lex, 375mg Lithium, 50mg Spironolactone. Zinc, Magnesium, Iron, P-5-P (B6).

I did some topical antibitoics and had NO problems at all. But thats just my experience. I have been off klonopin for 18 months, and tapered all of my other medications prior to the klon taper. 

2013-16 Adderall XR  and klonopin 1 mg 3x       neurontin 600 mg 2017 klonopin 2 mg 3x Add 30 mg Adderall

2018    Vyvanse 70 mg  Klonopin 1 mg 2x  2019 adderall 15 mg IR Vyvanse 40 mg 

December 2019 - May 2020 Baclofen 10 mg, 2-3 times a day 2020:   Vyvanse 50 mg Klonopin .5 mg 2 x

December 2020 - reinstated Baclofen 10 mg, stopped and restarted in January 2021 

February 3, 2021 - Baclofen reduced from 10 mg to 5 mg and reduced to 2.5 March 2021 * was not using this daily except in past
2021: tapered Vyvanse 50 mg apr -May and D/C May 2021. Klonopin .5 mg 2x, Baclofen 5 mg pm D/C in Feb?? Reinstated buy take Tzinidine 4 mg as of May 2021 @ bedtime May 10 2021= klonopin .650 mg liquid micro-tapering

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy