Oh and I just remembered, I had a month on Prozac during this time too. Today will make five days in a row of feeling half way decent. I have a run day scheduled today after church and those days are usually good. I hope this keeps up, I am cautiously optimistic. I think I found this site at the perfec time. No that's not true, the perfect time would have been two years ago, right when I stopped six psych meds cold turkey.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

I know what you mean...i had situational anxiety, too, and got caught in the trap. It's such a shame what the medical community has/is doing to poor unsuspecting patients. I'm sorry you've been jerked around with so many meds. The good news...you'll get through this and life will be great! We're the lucky ones who figured it out, and crawling our way out of the mess these drs put us in. We will be well again. I feel sad for those who never figure it out and live the rest of their lives in misery. Just remember, this is not a life sentence, but a temporary 'illness'.

ADs for approx 20 yrs.

Klonopin .05mg 2009-2013 Last dose Aug 2013

APRIL 21, 2015: switched from Paxil cr 25mg (equiv to 20. mg regular paxil) to liquid Prozac 20 mg. Took prozac for 5 weeks. Didn't work.

MAY 21. 2015: switched back to Paxil - liquid 5mg for 1 week. Then upped to 7.5. Waiting to stabilize at this.

Tapered off prozac in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the kind words ladybug. I feel more than ever now with you all's help that I will eventually overcome this. I like this site much better than the pro-meds sites I used to frequent when I was still caught in the trap.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

Oh yeah I remember another one! I was on Abilify for about six weeks about a year or so ago, and Ambien for three weeks. Neither did anything good or bad.

Did that 5 days become 6? Congratulations on your string of decent days! 

I notice you were also on Brintellix. I haven't met many folks who were on that. Maybe because it's still so new? I don't know. How did your doctor "sell" that drug to you? I wonder, because mine acted like it was the second coming. He told me it was the greatest hope he'd had in his career that his patients suffering from depression would recover before he retired. (He's in his late 50s I think.) For me, taking it was the beginning of the end of psychiatric drugs.

Did you say you ctd 3mg of Klonopin with no effect?

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Introduction: http://bit.ly/1SIxWwl.

Yes so far I've been feeling tolerable, thanks. I did take Brintellix for about a month or so, it sent my anxiety through the roof so back to Lexapro (again). I think she sold me because we had tried so many of the older ones with no success.

Yes I did cold turkey 3 mg of Klonopin and never looked back. It worked for years but started making me even more depressed. I still have a nearly full bottle and I still take it maybe once or twice a month and it still works if I only take it rarely.

I'm glad to hear you're still feeling tolerable, Iamfine! It's fortunate you didn't experience withdrawal from the Klonopin ct. That's wonderful. I hope what sounds like it maybe a partial window not only continues but opens even wider.

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Yeah I think I just got lucky. Glad I didn't read the horror stories before I decided to quit. Don't take my review of Brintellix into account without understanding that hardly any of the psych drugs have worked for me.

I didn't read the horror stories before I tapered off Klonopin either. The only positive effects I experienced were short lived. So, they didn't work for me either. Sometimes, it seems unreal how long the professionals were able to fool me with their claims that the effects produced by the drugs were the fault of a "mental illness." How do you think about the length of time you spent on the drugs?

I don't know how I really feel. Angry, for being put on so many at once though. I don't know how I worked a full time job through all that (I'm retired now). I needed help when I first started meds, that's for sure. But I should have stopped after a few months, instead I fell into the psychiatry trap and basically lost 12 years of my life.

I feel the same. I should have stopped after a few months. No question about that in my mind. Psychiatry stole almost half my life. It feels like a theft to me, and that makes me very angry. I hear people around me say it's not worth it to be angry, but the anger makes sense to me. I think being angry about this is important and meaningful. It might be uncomfortable, but it's necessary in my opinion.

I don't know how you worked full time through that either. That's an incredible feat. I think our spirits are very powerful and can guide and support us through some very dark passages in life.  

Hello iamfine and gardeniablossom. I just have to say how terribly angry I am also for being put on the psychiatric drug merry-go-round. I know there will come a time when I let go of the anger. But definitely not now. 20 years of my life were stolen from me. But we will recover. It will just take some time.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

Marsha- yes we will recover now that we know. It will just take time.

I started taking fish oil and magnesium per recommendations on this site, but I have no idea how much to take. I've just been taking one tablet of each per day. Can someone suggest a daily amount please?

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Iamfine, welcome to SA!  I'm so glad you found us, and your timing really was impeccable.  You were ready to hear what we have to say, and ready to understand the role these drugs have played in your life events.  If you had come to us 2 years before (as you postulate) - you might not have believed anything we say in SA.  But now - you get it.

Just a couple of notes.  You wrote:

Fresh- I have read the 10% rule, but I have cross tapered from Lexapro to another antidepressant on 3 or 4 occasions.

Just because it worked before does not mean it will always work.  In fact, the more often you have CT'd (these fast cross-tapers are really almost as damaging as CT), the more likely it is to have sensitized you to future reductions, cross tapers, and send you down the path of protracted withdrawal, as Fresh says.  And as Alto says, "The brain is not made of rubber."

and you commented:

In my reading on this forum it seems everyone is tapering off something but I find few who have happily quit all their meds

That's because they leave the forum when they feel better, and reengage with their lives!  

I'm almost better, having survived drug "experiments" since the mid 1980's, and then put on them "for life" in 1998.  I'm sorry you had such a rough time with the lithium.  I'm in awe of your CT of it, but as I watch my kidney function improve, I'm glad to be coming off of it as well.  So you actually got as bad as needing dialysis for the lithium?  No wonder you are angry!  (we are all not just a little angry, too, truth be told)

And here, you have a safe place to express your anger.  Sometimes, when there's a public suicide or drug induced violence (like the recent shooting in North - or was it South? - Carolina) - I accidentally vent my anger in a public place.  They always look at the guns, and the "mental illness."  THEY NEVER look at the drugs.  Surely, the drugs aren't the only factor, but the side effects are enough to take a maladjusted person and turn them towards the monster side.  The Dark Side, as Yoda might say.

I lost 30 years of my life, trying to "make it right" with various cocktails.  I also tried a number of therapies and vision quests, and made efforts to correct problems of living as they occurred, but none of these things ever remitted the deep, unrelenting, underwater, under-mud depression that I struggled with daily.  Eventually, as my kidneys started to fail, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't get fitness - I decided that I was just as unhappy as I was before the drugs.  And that I could be unhappy without the drugs, and perhaps my quality of life would improve at any rate!

I've been surprised at how much caring, creativity, engagement I have regained.  I still struggle, daily.  But at least I WANT to do things with my day, my life.

So - you have decided to hold at 150 mg Seroquel along with your 25 mg Luvox and 80 mg Geodon?  Could you put some dates in your signature so that I can see when you updosed your Seroquel?  It would help to see how long, and how well you are before choosing when and what your next taper is.

I would probably recommend the Seroquel or Geodon, as those are 2 inhibitors, while the Luvox is a stimulator.  If you taper the Luvox any further, you may find you are too "inhibited," and cannot rise from bed.  I know you love your Geodon, but there is a thing that Peter Breggin calls "spell binding."  Perhaps Geodon has you spellbound?  (intoxication agnosia):  

Also, have you considered Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil to help speed your healing?

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

ps - you are counting days - that's good.

Keep in mind, that the days count far less than the months, and years.  

As you have seen here, sometimes it takes awhile for a brain to rebuild itself.  While Rhi wrote the following about antidepressants, I think it applies to all psych meds, as they restructure the neurotransmitters and receptors of the brain:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/?p=88441

So days are good, but I'd like to see you have a good MONTH before you taper again.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

JanCarol- thank you so much for the post and the video. I really don't think the Geodon has me spell bound, I think it just works for me. In the past two weeks, since reinstating Seroquel, I've really just had one bad day. I still get the afternoon slump but I have found that if I do my run during that time frame that it's much more tolerable. I'm still inclined to just dump the rest of my Luvox but I will hold here for another couple weeks to see if this "window" lasts, then taper, but I can't promise it won't be more than 10%.

I've been on so many cocktails it would make your head spin (literally). After the lithium toxicity two years ago I dumped six drugs cold turkey, but found myself back at my pdoc' two months later begging for mercy from the mental anguish. Knowing what I do now, most of it was probably withdrawal. She has very aggressively tried to find something that works and in the process it has probably done more harm than good. I am now down to just a fraction of what I was taking, and feeling much better. I will slow my tapers now that I am more educated.

The Seroquel I'm not so sure about. I didn't think it was doing anything until I took it from 500 mg to zero in about five weeks. I was miserable about four days after that last pill, and a reinstatement of 150 mg fixed me in one day, thanks to this site. That was 2-3 weeks ago.

I have started fish oil and magnesium per this site's recommendations. It seems to help a little, or at least it hasn't hurt...

Iamfine, what happened with the lithium toxicity? It was just after I took lithium (once, as in one pill and was in bed for 2 full weeks) that I came off the other five "meds" in two weeks. (I wish I'd known how and what to taper.)

I think I must have forgotten what I read on your thread. .. my reading and comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired these days. I will go back and read the thread, again. Yikes.

I took the lithium for years, and dutifully had my blood levels checked every quarter. I forgot one quarter and I got dehydrated one day and had a seizure. I was rushed to the hospital and they tested my blood and the lithium level was 14.1 where it should be around 1.0. They performed dialysis and saved my life. I couldn't talk for two weeks and they had me strapped down in bed so I couldn't move. I was in the hospital for 28 days because of that drug. My kidney doc told me had I arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later I would not have survived.

I can only imagine how frightening that experience was. I'm sorry you went through that. I'm glad you got to the hospital in time and survived. Are you seeing the same psychiatrist you were then?

I read through your thread, again. I didn't remember reading about your experience with lithium, because there wasn't anything in your thread except for what you just wrote. Good to know.

When my psychiatrist first prescribed lithium to me, I was skeptical. I didn't want to take it. I wanted to do some research first. I remember he criticized me for not just taking him at his word, just doing what he told me to do. He asked me why I wanted to become an expert on the drug. After I took it for the first and only time, in less than 8 hours I could barely function. I never took it after that. When I reported what I experienced, he told me to keep taking it. That's when I knew without any shadow of a doubt that he didn't have my best interest at heart. He had no idea what he was doing and was just guessing. The only reason I wasn't hospitalized was, because I will never willingly put myself through psychiatric hospitalization, again.

I am seeing a new psychiatrist since then. This one is good, but she has been very aggressive trying new meds on me often during the past two years. I would guess that 7 or 8 of my 24 meds have been in the past two years. I wonder now if I haven't been going through mini withdrawals during this time. I remember one appointment when I was doing particularly bad after yet another failed med that she told me that I seemed to be in withdrawal, and she made me go back to the cocktail that I was stable on (relatively stable). She made me stay on that cocktail of three drugs for about three months, then we got back on the merry go round again.

Today is a run day, and I didn't get my 9 hours of sleep last night so I'm kinda not looking forward to it like I usually do. Pretty soon my demons will wake up and that will give me the motivation to get to the gym. We have a really nice gym, complete with Olympic size swimming pool, basketball courts, weight room, running/walking track, etc, and it's air conditioned! Nice since its 95 degrees out today.

Eleven days and counting, and I've only really had one bad day. Don't get me wrong, I am still suffering daily, but it's because of the drugs not the absence of them. Many of the drugs I have taken have made me feel way worse while on them than any withdrawals I've ever had. I mean, have any of you been helped by the drugs? If so, why quit? And by having these "withdrawal symptoms" you are doing the same as denying that depression exists. How do you know you don't have an underlying illness that may be rearing its ugly head again, that maybe it's actually depression or anxiety instead of wd. I know I'm not supposed to talk this way here and I'm definitely not pro-med but these are questions I must pose. You can't be so closed minded to think that these drugs don't help some people.

Hhhmm..Lamfine..you do know that the chemical imbalance theory IS just a theory right?

Also antidepressants only seem to work for a short time and many people, myself included, find they have much worse depression after 'treatment' than ever before. Also, I can feel it in myself also that despite trying to have a healthy lifestyle my physical, emotional and mental wellbeing has all taken a turn for the worst over the years I've been receiving 'treatment'.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Hhhmm..Lamfine..you do know that the chemical imbalance theory IS just a theory right?

Also antidepressants only seem to work for a short time and many people, myself included, find they have much worse depression after 'treatment' than ever before. Also, I can feel it in myself also that despite trying to have a healthy lifestyle my physical, emotional and mental wellbeing has all taken a turn for the worst over the years I've been receiving 'treatment'.

Yes I know it is just a theory, but so are withdrawals. You can find a paper or a doc to back up any theory if you want to look hard enough. But some people, especially those with psychosis actually need drugs to treat their condition. I'm here be cause hardly anything works, and many of the meds have made me feel worse than I did before. I have found a very few that work, like the Geodon that I take now, but so far they all failed me in the end. But as I continue my tapers in the back of my mind I can't help but think that there might be something to help me, and if my depression returns someday I'm not completely ruling out medicine as a course of action.

I still find it hard to believe that a human body can actually even register some of these micro dosages like 1 mg. I can be proven wrong though, we'll see.

My so called treatment has taken a huge toll on me too. I was 70 lb's heavier, I've lost three teeth because of the bruxism that the antipsychotics caused, and I have anhedonia.i should have quit the Prozac that I started on over 12 years ago after a few months but somehow I got caught in the psych trap and now I am paying the price.

• Moderator Emeritus

But some people, especially those with psychosis actually need drugs to treat their condition.

This isn't completely true either. Many people have recovered from episodes of psychosis without medication.

See:  

Soteria & Other Alternatives | Soteria

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks for the reply Petunia. The article was a bit triggering to me, so I only skimmed it. Can you imagine what it would be like to be one of the full time "therapists"? It makes me shudder. I still think it's dangerous to advise a psychotic patient to stop taking their medicine, especially if they are stable on. That's an ugly disease.

• Moderator Emeritus

I apologize if the article I posted was triggering, that's not what I intended. I don't think anyone is suggesting that people who are stable on medication suddenly stop taking it, that would be irresponsible.

I'm not sure what you are referring to by 'ugly disease', but an episode of losing touch with consensus reality, which sometimes gets labelled as 'psychosis', is not a disease, its a reaction or a response and often will resolve naturally in a supportive environment if it's allowed to run its course. I know its possible, because I've been through it. I have recovered from several of these episodes and gone back to my normal functioning without the use of 'anti psychotic' drugs...you just need a healthy, positive context to frame the experience in, a safe environment and some support, if you can get it. The medical/disease model is just one perspective and in my opinion not an accurate one.

Many of the drugs I have taken have made me feel way worse while on them than any withdrawals I've ever had. I mean, have any of you been helped by the drugs? If so, why quit? And by having these "withdrawal symptoms" you are doing the same as denying that depression exists. How do you know you don't have an underlying illness that may be rearing its ugly head again, that maybe it's actually depression or anxiety instead of wd. I know I'm not supposed to talk this way here and I'm definitely not pro-med but these are questions I must pose. You can't be so closed minded to think that these drugs don't help some people.

I think it depends on what you mean by help, obviously many people do believe that their drugs are 'helping', but at what long term cost? I saw a statistic recently that said 9/10 people take psychiatric drugs, not to treat an illness, but to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

I can only speak from my experience. I asked to be put on zoloft because I saw an advertising video made by pfizer, I thought I was watching a legitimate documentary about anxiety disorders caused by a chemical imbalance, not realizing that this was unproven theory being used as a marketing ploy.

Long story short. The zoloft made me feel different, sort of high, for about 2 weeks, I liked feeling that way. I suddenly had more confidence and felt like I could accomplish anything, it gave me lots of energy too. Then I started getting depressed, something which I'd never had before, but I didn't connect it with the drugs, because of the initial good reaction, I was sure this was my new miracle pill. The new depression lasted for months, but eventually I adapted to it by adopting new behaviors, by pushing myself to do new things, not always healthy or good things. My emotions were blunted in general, especially fear, so I didn't care about things the way I had previously.

By the time the side effects had started to eat away at the quality of my life, I had been taking the drug for several years and couldn't stop taking it without extreme withdrawal symptoms kicking in at about day 3. It took me a long time to realize that all my new symptoms were being caused by the drugs because they came on slowly.

My original 'condition' was mild to moderate anxiety, mostly triggered by certain environments, situations and stress. Withdrawal symptoms for me go way over and above anything I experienced prior to drugs. My original 'illness' basically consisted of one annoying symptom which I thought I could fix by taking a little pill every day. The growing list of side effects which mounted over the years slowly ruined my health, adding more symptoms, which I then took more medications for, which further damaged my health.

Getting off all the drugs has been a nightmare and now I'm left with a long list of 'new' symptoms, mostly physical, which started to appear shortly after stopping the last SSRI.

I don't even have my original 'anxiety disorder' any more, it was cognitively based and I've dealt with it through counseling and various therapies. Now I'm dealing with drug damage, pure and simple. There are members here who were put on these drugs for symptoms like pain, grief over the loss of a loved one and insomnia, with no previous 'mental illness', but now they are suffering with exactly the same kinds of symptoms we all are.

I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. I wish I had known this before I ever took a psyche med. They're not really even legitimate medicines, they are toxic substances which disrupt normal brain function in unknown ways and sometimes this makes people behave in more convenient or desirable ways... for a while anyway.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Petunia- my story started a lot like yours, except for me it was Prozac. I believed what I saw in the media and fell into the psych trap eventually. If I had stopped Prozac after a few months I would not have ended up on six drugs and had kidney failure. The Prozac worked at first but then I got worse. And every time after that that I got worse they would just tack another drug on top of it. I agree with this website's mission in most cases but not all. Some people are very ill and need meds to survive.

However, nobody ever forced a med down my throat, even while I was in the hospital. I took them willingly, I even sought out the first one, Prozac. I didn't have all the information then, and with a little support I know I can beat them all now. I just take a fraction of what I once did and feel better for it. I am the perfect candidate for what this web site stands for, but I will probably need a little help as I continue with my tapers. Luckily, I've been able to successfully taper much faster than 10% with success, but I know that I'm not finished yet too.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with this website's mission in most cases but not all. Some people are very ill and need meds to survive.

The purpose of this site is to help people taper off their medication safely and to support people who are experiencing withdrawal. We are not advocating that everyone comes off their medication. Its up to each individual to decide what is right for their own life.

Your opinion that some people need meds to survive is your opinion, and you are entitled to believe whatever you like, but its not an opinion which is helpful or supportive to our mission here, or other members who have made the decision to taper off their drugs and manage their lives in other ways.

We appreciate your supportive and encouraging posts.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

I've been having bad dreams lately, not sure if it's because of tapering or just a phase I'm in. They are disturbing my sleep though and my wellbeing requires lots of restful sleep. I started strength training lately to go along with my runs and have been pretty sore, that may have something to do with it too.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Iam - how are you doing?

I hope your absence means that you've been doing so well that you no longer feel the need for us here?

Come visit sometime, let us know!

• 9 months later...

Well ive been away for awhile. And i have a new pdoc and some new meds. I am now taking geodon, seroquel, zyprexa, prozac, klonopin, and ritalin. So much for tapering lol. I am quitting the geodon and zyprexa in the next two weeks. I was taking 80 mg twice a day and he said to take 80 once a day for a week then stop. That seems too fast for me i think ill do it a little slower, ive been on them for a year and a half.

Edited by JanCarol
Highlight drug changes

Well ive been away for awhile. And i have a new pdoc and some new meds. I am now taking geodon, seroquel, zyprexa, prozac, klonopin, and ritalin. So much for tapering lol. I am quitting the geodon and zyprexa in the next two weeks. I was taking 80 mg twice a day and he said to take 80 once a day for a week then stop. That seems too fast for me i think ill do it a little slower, ive been on them for a year and a half.

Iamfine, please check my thread. I answered your question there. Do you need some help with tapering?

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

Iamfine, please check my thread. I answered your question there. Do you need some help with tapering?

Yes I think i do. Was doing pretty good, i got off the luvox and clonazepam but a new pdoc and I'm in worse shape than ever. Geodon has to go i cant be on three antipsychotics. And I'm taking 60 mg of prozac but that wont be hard to shed.

Edited by JanCarol
Highlight drug changes & past drugs

• Administrator

Iamfine, please update your signature with the geodon, seroquel, zyprexa, prozac, klonopin, and ritalin dosages and the dates you started taking each one.

Three antipsychotics is indeed excessive. Altogether, your cocktail is ridiculous. Did your current pdoc whip this up for you?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Which antipsychotic did you go on first, which second, and which last? Why did your doctor add the other two?

Why are you taking the other drugs?

How do you feel?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.