luv2knit

Zoloft Shortage

Max28564

Hi Wombat, I've been trying Setrona, but taking one every other day, due to feeling nauseous, and having headaches at first, this is the 2nd generic one I've tried since Zoloft, the chemist has given me an extra packet, due to shortage of that brand, it seems ok to me now.

ABS89

Shortage of the generic brand as well??

Justme2015

I've been on Zoloft for 10 years and in the last 3-4 months since being on the generic brand have had episodes of feeling suicidal. It's scary and my doctor and the two or three pharmacists I've spoken to all say that the generic brand is exactly the same as the Zoloft brand. But I know I feel totally different and I'm struggling.

Worries me that some people are saying that all generic brands will soon be out if stock also.

dalsaan

Hi Justme2015,

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.  Can I ask you to make a post in the introductions forum so we can get to know you and provide support.

Dalsaan

Altostrata

Max28564, please do not skip doses of a psychiatric drug, it can trigger terrible withdrawal symptoms.

Please make a post in the introductions forum so we can get to know you and provide support.

Kazz

Hi Everyone,

Also from Australia and looking for answer's on this Zoloft shortage!

ABS89

Hi Kazz,

I really struggled for a few weeks but I've now been on the Terry White generic brand for a bit over a month.  My doctor suggested I alter my dosage so I went from 100mg to 150mg.  I am much better now, but it was a massive shock to my system for something that is supposed to be "exactly the same".

Zoloft will apparently be available in January (that was the last I heard anyway).  Unsure whether I will go back to taking Zoloft though, I don't really want to put my body through all that again.  

Brisvegas

Why is there only a shortage for Australia? If you search online, no other countries are affected? doesn't make sense.

Ivymarc

Hi. I am new to the site and wanted to say hello.

I am in Melbourne and have been on Zoloft 200mg daily for over five years. I rationed out the remaining Zoloft I had, combining with the generic Sandoz.

I ran out of Zoloft five weeks ago and I too now feel like I am taking nothing at all. I have no appetite, poor sleep, enduring low mood, can't do basic things (like answer the phone - which is my job in my own business!) and a sense of helplessness.

I saw my GP (today) who has put me on Valium to help with sleep, but only short term. She is also looking for a psychiatrist to look at my situation overall. 

She did not recommend me 'washing out' until I have seen the psychiatrist.

I am glad I found this site as I wondered if I was going mad. The most frustrating thing is my life is actually ace but I feel so bad.

HalfPerson

This is really, really strange. I smell a rat.

Brisvegas

So, as I am down to 40 tablets of Zoloft for the next 40 days; I have decided to buy online and have some shipped in from overseas. Now as an Australian, you are legally able to import up to 3 months’ worth of a prescription medicine/drug with just a valid script from your Doctor. If you want to buy up to 12 months’ worth you will need to fill out an application form from the Therapeutic Goods Australian Government website. The catch is, buying online from overseas is much more expensive then at your local pharmacy, but it’s worth it to me, as generics are just not the same. Anyway the following site gives you a list of legit online Pharmacies that are repeatable (not dodgy ones that sell counterfeit drugs);  https://www.pharmacychecker.com/online-pharmacy-ratings.asp

Also in the UK and (I think Canada), Zoloft is marketed as Pfizer Lustral, and in the USA its Zoloft.

NJJ

Thanks for posting this info Brisvegas, good to know.

Brisvegas

Hi. I am new to the site and wanted to say hello.

I am in Melbourne and have been on Zoloft 200mg daily for over five years. I rationed out the remaining Zoloft I had, combining with the generic Sandoz.

I ran out of Zoloft five weeks ago and I too now feel like I am taking nothing at all. I have no appetite, poor sleep, enduring low mood, can't do basic things (like answer the phone - which is my job in my own business!) and a sense of helplessness.

I saw my GP (today) who has put me on Valium to help with sleep, but only short term. She is also looking for a psychiatrist to look at my situation overall. 

She did not recommend me 'washing out' until I have seen the psychiatrist.

I am glad I found this site as I wondered if I was going mad. The most frustrating thing is my life is actually ace but I feel so bad.

Try a different generic, there are dozens of different brands, each chemist uses a different generic; I used Sandoz from Chemist warehouse for 5 days and would never touch it again. Or buy Pfizer brand online from overseas.

Hopefull

I wish there was a shortage of this poison back in 2013!

Pfizer destroys people's lives.

Brisvegas

I just received 90 x Lustral 100mg tablets (exactly the same as Zoloft, just marketed as Lustral in the UK) from the UK from an online pharmacy. So there is no global shortage, rather Australia seems to be the only country which has no supply (I could be wrong, but I'm unaware of a shortage elsewhere). It cost me 9 times the amount I would usually pay at my local chemist, but better then changing to generics.

What has me baffled is why there is no Zoloft available in Australia, when it is obviously available from overseas??? Australia has a low population too, so it is bizarre...

dalsaan

When I phoned Pfizer Australiia they claimed it was due to a shortage of the active ingredient and that this was a world-wide problem. Clearly that's a lie. I have no idea why this is happening

Dalsaan

ThaiGirl

Just FYI - I recently tried to get some Zoloft in Thailand, and all the pharmacies (including Boots and Watson's, plus smaller Thai family run pharmacies) in two major cities did not have Brand or Generic.  I was first prescribed Z in Thailand, and never had any trouble getting it there. So, it looks like it's more than just Australia. Perhaps they are supplied thru Australia. 

I am a little concerned, as I am in need of a new prescription... within the next 2 weeks. 

hadrianus4

It must be global, I'm trying to get Zoloft for my mother in Romania and is very difficult to find in in pharmacies. 

NJJ

Hi everyone,

It appears the shortage of zoloft has been resolved in Australia as I checked on the TGA website and rang a couple of chemists. They said the Pfizer brand should be on the shelves next week.

http://apps.tga.gov.au/prod/MSI/search/

Madeleine

Just an update on this... I’m in canada and for the last 3 months my pharmacist has said they have been having problems getting supplies of the generic Zoloft. It’s not a total shortage but one month they were told one generic brand did not Have 100 mg pills available so I was given another generic brand. Next month that second brand was apparently in short supply. Now 

this month it is back to the original brand as there were short supplies of the second brand. 

A bit unerving. I’ve had some headaches  and not sure

if it’s the change back and forth between brands. I’m ok otherwise but I thought I’d share here. 

samanthaelizabeth
On 6/25/2015 at 1:12 PM, Altostrata said:

This is very, very strange.

Those who cannot get Pfizer Zoloft will either have to make do with a generic brand, if available, or switch to Prozac (fluoxetine).

This will cause a lot of problems.

This scares me! 

Altostrata

It occurred in 2015.

samanthaelizabeth
21 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

It occurred in 2015.

Thank you Altostrata, What if it were to happen again?  

Altostrata

You'll have to read this topic from the start. And then read it again. And again. And again. Into infinity.