SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Do withdrawal symptoms always show up right away? Delayed onset

hippopotamus

Hi all, seems that it is not so strange the delayed symptoms, I'm quite sure that I have them after 6 months of dropping, during that time I was just feeling great and the bam. I was also seriously thinking it's the relapse, but it feels different. All this strange headache and lack of coordination, confusion, insomnia of course.

I hope the symptoms will get milder soon. 1 week on withdrawal symptoms now.

Wish you all the best

Drug story:

2015 Dec Cipralex 10mg, 
2016 Jan Cipralex changed to 20 mg,
2016 Mar added Mirtazapin 30 mg,
2016 Aug cut of the meds, Mirtazapin cold turkey, Cipralex not sure.
2017 Aug came back to Mirtazapin 30 mg,
2017 Sep Cipralex 10 mg and changed to Venlafaxin 75 mg, Mirtazapin increased to 45 mg,
2017 Nov hospital (mistake!), because they changed Mirtazapin to Agomelatin, couldn't sleep for 3 nights, got seriously scared. Returned back to Mirtazapin 45mg. Had neuroleptics, don't know why (Haloperidol then changed to Aripiprazol). Cannot clarify the doze. Venlafaxin changed to Setralin then back to Venlafaxin to 225 mg.
2018 01 reduced and quit Venlafaxin also Aripiprazol under doctor instruction.
2018 05 quit Mirtazapin in 1 month under doctor instruction.

• Mentor

I don't remember much as I was also doing things like quitting drinking cold turkey, getting Lasik/PRK, traveling too much... it just seemed like I was getting more and more anxious and felt low-level DP/DR.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

• 1 month later...

Although I experienced withdrawal while tapering after I jumped off withdrawal started sneaking in bad at around 6 months out. I'm now at 13 months off and it's at the highest level yet.

It's nice to read that delayed WD is a known phenomena.

Fonz

Took 5mg Lexapro (Cipralex) for 14 years.

Did 8 Month taper, jumped off December 2017.

Took Clonazepam for 10 years. Went through Benzodiazepine Protracted withdrawal. I am five years out but still not fully recovered. I was bedridden for the first two years.

The delayed WD symptoms, which were very feelable, lasted for me around 3 weeks. I still feel kind of tinnitus and if something emotional or triggering happens, I can't sleep well at night. For sure my nervous system is sensitized still after all this crap, on and of meds for 2,5 years.

I'm thinking that my WD was easier than many people here because I was on them for short time and my body probably is more capable of dealing with. It's different for everyone.

Now it is 8 months I'm off meds completely after the fast taper. Feeling really ok!

Drug story:

2015 Dec Cipralex 10mg, 
2016 Jan Cipralex changed to 20 mg,
2016 Mar added Mirtazapin 30 mg,
2016 Aug cut of the meds, Mirtazapin cold turkey, Cipralex not sure.
2017 Aug came back to Mirtazapin 30 mg,
2017 Sep Cipralex 10 mg and changed to Venlafaxin 75 mg, Mirtazapin increased to 45 mg,
2017 Nov hospital (mistake!), because they changed Mirtazapin to Agomelatin, couldn't sleep for 3 nights, got seriously scared. Returned back to Mirtazapin 45mg. Had neuroleptics, don't know why (Haloperidol then changed to Aripiprazol). Cannot clarify the doze. Venlafaxin changed to Setralin then back to Venlafaxin to 225 mg.
2018 01 reduced and quit Venlafaxin also Aripiprazol under doctor instruction.
2018 05 quit Mirtazapin in 1 month under doctor instruction.

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2015 at 8:31 PM, RockSie said:

Hi Mikey,

here I am. My ct withdrawals started 9-11 month off citalopram and the second time 5-6 month off.

Ii roxie, did your citalpram withdrawal ever get better after the late onset? Hope you are well... 

Stilnox january 2014 - may 2014 10-20mg a day

Stilnox august 2016 one month use 10 mg a day 

Xanax 2 weeks september 2016 1.5 - 3 mg a day, viscious withdrawal.

Valium reinstated October 2017 - march 2018. Fast tapered.

Risperdal october 2017 to present 1.5 mg.

Celexa December 2017 to present 20 mg

On 11/24/2018 at 6:17 AM, Jansin said:

I was on Zoloft for four years, starting in late 2013 and ending in late 2017 when I CTed. 

Nothing happened to me, not for the first three weeks, not for the first five months after. I just slowly became more and more depressed as 2018 began and went on and also noticed some short term memory problems, but nothing debilitating.

Until finally in September I wake up one day and notice my vision was different, and then health anxiety soon followed after that, then crying episodes came into play very soon after.

Then in October I noticed the ringing in my ears is a bit louder than usual

But to this day I barely have any symptoms, and honestly after all that I have read on this site: The lack of symptoms is honestly starting to concern me.

Is there anyone else here that only experienced mental symptoms? Or anyone else that CTed without any immediate reaction? 

Jansin have you seemingly recovered from your withdrawal now after the delayed onset? 

On 11/24/2018 at 8:18 AM, FarmGirlWorks said:

I almost CT'd from Zoloft (4 week "taper") and what you said above kind of tracks with my first 5-6 months. Increasing depression week by week until month 6 or so and then I've had cog fog, akathisia, extreme anxiety, leaky eyes, light sensitivity, head pressure, debilitating headaches. I had tinnitus before from a head surgery but it has gotten worse in WD. I see that you were able to reinstate so perhaps that has waylaid any physical symptoms. Everybody's recovery is different. That is great though that you were able to reinstate which, as I understand it, can arrest WD symptoms while your CNS heals.

Did you reinstate farm girl? Or did you stick it out? Did it get better? 

1 minute ago, Rossho said:

Jansin have you seemingly recovered from your withdrawal now after the delayed onset? 

No recovery, I'm just in a gradual state of fog, feels like my brain isnt working quite right, no creativity, always so tired, cant think straight, can barely form sentences, and I feel very little emotion at all. Feeling very depressed and hopeless at this point.

I also have visual disturbance and tinnitus. 

ADs: 4 years

Sertraline (Zoloft): 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

November 6th, 2018 reinstatement: sertraline 1mg

November 17th, 2018 : sertraline 2mg

2019 - 2020: 1mg Zoloft up to 5mg, increased by 1mg from the month I started

November 2020 to October 2021: 5mg down to 2.5mg, going a bit slower, down by .5 every 2 months.

• Mentor
15 hours ago, Jansin said:

No recovery, I'm just in a gradual state of fog, feels like my brain isn't working quite right, no creativity, always so tired, cant think straight, can barely form sentences, and I feel very little emotion at all. Feeling very depressed and hopeless at this point.

Ditto.  Well, except for the 'hopeless' part: I am going to recover sooner or later. I did not reinstate, was over six months before it got really bad and felt too risk averse to go for RI. It is at 23.5 months (not that I'm counting -- hahahaha) and I went thru a depression a couple weeks ago that was as bad as months 7-12. But DrugFreeProfessor's story about her daughter's recovery gives me hope. No (or very few?) windows and mainly a long wave until she recovered at 29 months. I really, really hope your RI goes well!

Edited by ChessieCat
changed @ DFP to link to her daughter's success story
  • Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

• 2 months later...

It's really helpful reading this thread, although obviously I'm sad that you're all suffering. But you have totally explained something for me.

I jumped off from 5mg Citalopram to 0mg back in April 2015 and was getting recurrent obsessive thoughts and more anxiety by December. Began feeling worse. Moods all over the place.

I cut from 5mg to 2.5mg Citalopram in April 2017 and by December had become very easily stressed by anything, and highly intolerant of noise...any background noise was unbearably loud.

Admittedly I made the mistake of self medicating with non prescription substances shortly after both times, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

But the thin I've realised is that the distress was probably delayed withdrawal from cutting dosage too much.

Lightbulb moment.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2013 at 3:22 AM, Altostrata said:

Symptoms are attributed to something else, such as the flu or situational stress.

This is interesting. I used to say my with drawal hit pretty squarely two months after my last dose but looking back more throughly over my journal tells me this isn't true. I first developed noticeable (noticeable enough for me to record week long waves) symptoms two weeks after my last dose. They just got worse, coming to a head 2 months after.  I wonder how many others peoples symptoms actually start much earlier than they realise. 

Citalopram. Briefly early twenties, no ill effects seemingly. Don't remember dose.

Sertraline on and off for ten years.  I was ignorant and started and stopped frequently. Doses of 50, 75 and 100. I can not recall/did not record dates prior to 2018.

JANUARY 2018: Last period of use was was 150mg of sertraline on 14/01/18  (which triggered extreme depression and anxiety that never settled, amongst other symptoms). I then tapered to 100mg in March (15/03/18), then down to 75mg in April(01/04/18) , 50mg later (11/04/18) 25mg in May  (16/05/18),  and was at 0mg in June (02/06/18).

Mirtazapine 15mg 01/08/18- 02/10/18, 15mg (6 weeks at 15mg the two week taper). - caused deeply unpleasant waves of extreme anxiety, depression, zombie state and mania.

Still on 40mg of Propranolol twice a day since April 2018. Supplements: Fish oil, Magnesium, Vit B6

• Altostrata changed the title to Do withdrawal symptoms always show up right away? Delayed onset
  • 3 months later...

On 1/18/2014 at 7:27 AM, mammaP said:

Haven't a clue Claudius! I would get symptoms if I missed or was late with a single dose,

and a bout of tummy trouble with D&V saw me being admitted to hospital twice with what I 

now know to be withdrawal when the effexor wasn't absorbed. One time they were convinced

I had a brain bleed and I had scans and lumbar puncture. All I needed was my 'fix' ! 

Then I started to taper and it went very well, very smooth with little discomfort over about a year.

Then stopped at just 5 beads. I forgot one day and didn't feel a thing so thought I must be ready. 

4/5 weeks later I was hit by horrendous withdrawal, ended up here and took 7 months to stabilise again.

Everyone seems to be different, no 'normal' where withdrawal is concerned! I am just glad I found SA and

wish I'd found it before my taper. I didn't cut by 10% of the current dose, just stuck to the same reduction

thinking it was right. We live and learn! 

So what did you do during that 7 months to stabilize?  I am going thru Paxil withdrawal after being completely off and doing fine for 3 months.  Any suggestions?

Paxil, 20 mg. daily for last 20 years

Began tapering October 2018.  Took last dose May 2019.

Xanax .25 mg used rarely, just for insomnia.  Maybe took it once a month (or less) over past 10 years.

Remeron 7.5 mg. started 8/2020

• 5 months later...
On 1/18/2014 at 4:36 PM, Claudius said:

As we know, the leaflets, for as far they offer any information about withdrawal, mostly state that WD starts within one or a few days after stopping the daily intake. For some people this appears to be true, on this and other support sites I read many testimonies from people who get sick after missing even one dose.

But also there are many stories of WD hitting much later, weeks or even months.

For me, when quitting Paxil cold turkey from 10 mg, I felt perfectly fine for exactly 6 weeks when suddenly the brain zaps started and I became very ill within a few minutes. Most attempts went this way, and it was this time delay which made that it took years before I finally realized that is was withdrawal anyway.

Paxil is notorious for its short half-life and even the doctors who do recognize withdrawal mosty tell that Paxil withdrawal will hit pretty soon after quitting because of this short half-life.

But it didn't for me, and I know several people for which it took 2-4 weeks, my own 6 weeks appear to be on the long side.

What made it increasingly complicated, I tried one time to cut my dose by splitting the half tablet, and one other time to alternate between a half and a quarter tablet.

We know now that this is a very bad scheme, but what I still do not understand is that on those cases, I got sick WITHIN ONE DAY instead of after 6 weeks! I would rather tend to believe that WD would hit later because the body still receives the drug, albeit in a lower quantity, so the "buffer" which causes the delay in WD symptoms would last a longer time and the delay time for the start of WD symptoms should be longer instead of much shorter!

My own explanation would be that alternating throws the brain in chaos immediately, while quitting cold turkey gave a delay of 6 weeks. This however does not explain why OI got sick immedaitely after taking a quarter tablet (5 mg) daily instead of my normal dose of 10 mg.  A poosible reason could be that dividing the half tablet casues too much deviation in dosages because the half tablet has no splitting line anymore on it.

Of course, now 6 years after quitting is does not make any difference for me anymore but I still wonder what kind of strange mechanisms are invovled here.

Any ideas?

True. I started having withdrawal after 10 weeks. And I took a longer half life Lexapro. Docs didn't believe me n I face laughed saying how is it possible after so my months. But I feel withdrawal happens not only when the drug leaves ur system, but when the brain tries it best to work totally without the drug. The first time that I withdraw cold turkey (from 5mg to 0), my symtoms started in 2 weeks and were much intense unbearable... But when I tapered (took four months) and jumped from 1mg to zero, my withdrawal started really late and they were pretty mild and Managable. Even I'm not sure how the mechanism works

May 2018: 10mg Lexapro (once a day), and etizolaam 0.5 mg with proponolol 20mg twice a day

July 2018: got completely of etizolaam and proponol by weaning and using only once per day in June

October 2018: tapered Lexapro to 5mg using klonopin 0.25 mg as needed to reduce withdrawal symtoms

December 2018: quit Lexapro 5mg cold turkey and has to reinstate in three weeks used etizolaam to reduce symtoms as needed

March 2019: quit etizolaam 0.5mg cold turkey

September 2019: last does of Lexapro

November 2019: took klonopin 0.25 mg as needed to over come withdrawal symtoms sometimes 0.5mg. maximum dose of 0.75 mg per week

• 9 months later...

Judging from the quantity of posts here it looks like delayed onset is very common. I want to point out that, in my case at least, symptoms CHANGE over time, which can also mask or confuse a diagnosis. In my case, when I was taking Citalopram regularly if I ever missed a dose I would feel weird by later on that day, indicating that some form of withdrawal happened very quickly. But when I actually quit from a low dose those strange feelings dissipated fairly quickly. If anything I felt really pretty great. Then, weeks later, the 5am awakening with severe hot flashes began - But I didn't think that had anything to do with withdrawal (as I had never heard of "withdrawal syndrome"). Then other symptoms started arriving a few weeks later. Now, 10 months on I think things have just gotten worse in many ways, though the symptoms are not quite the same as they were (the head-tingling sensations, for example, are gone, but now I just feel extremely nervous all the time). I'm now trying to stabilize by taking a tiny reinstatement dose, but it isn't easy to say if the situation is improving or not, as it just seems to fluctuate so much. But I guess my point in posting on this topic is just to suggest that, in my experience at least, it isn't the case that there are no symptoms, followed by a delay, and then suddenly a collection of unchanging symptoms arrive, but rather than various symptoms seem to appear and morph and diminish as time goes by. And the most frustrating thing is that, no matter how much I try to keep track of it all, it still feels like an uncontrollable mass that I am powerless to figure out. Should I increase my reinstatement dose? Or is it the reinstatement that is the problem? More exercise? Less exercise? More magnesium earlier in the day? Etc. Given the pattern of "waves and windows", it is hard to tell if one's treatment strategy is working or not, since good times might just be a temporary window, and bad times might just be a particularly bad moment of a wave. It seems to me from everything I've read here that reinstatement and/or fairly serious lifestyle efforts are the only ways forward though...

15+ years Citalopram 10mg (sometimes 20?)

2019 Citalopram 5mg. No problem reduction.

2020 Citalopram 5mg to zero. (Feb)

2020 (Feb - mid Oct): Very rare use of 0.125 or .25mg Xanax for really bad symptoms

2020 (Feb - Nov): Occasional use of "Nytol" sleep aid (an antihistamine). 

2020 Failed reinstatement: Escitalopram by accident (not Citalopram).  

-- using a scale, started July 27 0.5mg, doubled every week or so to reach 5mg by Aug 30. Too fast - terrible depression, quit.

2020 (Oct-current): Supplements:

-- Morning: Magnesium 300mg, Omega 3(483 EPA, 360 DHA +Vit E) Night: Liquid Valerian/Passiflore/Escholtzia - French organic herbal sleep aid, 1.9mg LD Melatonin 

2020 Current - new Citalopram reinstatement. (Accidentally started with Escitalopram before realizing and switching to Citalopram Oct. 30)

-- using pipette method: Oct 30, 0.25mg; Nov. 4th, 0.375; Dec. 1st 0.5mg, Dec. 21st 0.75mg Jan 19: Decide reinstatement fail: Jan 21 0.625mg, Jan 28: 0.5mg Feb 8 0mg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Mentor

An admin in a FB group ‘Zoloft should be illegal ‘ suggested that the SSRI gets embedded in our brain tissue at neurotransmitter sites, so the half life theory doesn’t apply. WD is related to when the SSRI is released from the tissue. For some people it may be faster than others. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 5 months later...

I experienced this too. Minor tolerable withdrawal until a few months out. My theory is that the ssri do irreversible binding to the sert and that over time as the sert turn over the amount of serotonin drops below what the brain needs then it goes into chaos 

???? To  early April 2021: citalopram 20mg. This was a about 12+years

April 2021: stopped taking citalopram 

6/10/2021 to 6/11/2021: started taking buspirone for anxiety . Got ringing in the ears and insomnia so I stopped

6/16/2021 reinstatement of citalopram at 10mg

8/12/2021: 4.5ml/9mg citalopram 10/11/21 4ml 11/15/21 3.5ml 12/28/2021: 3ml/6mg 1/28/2022 2.5ml/5mg  2mL/4mg 3/6/2022 1.5ml/3mg 4/12/2022  5/31/2022 1ml/2mg  7/31/2022 .5ml/1mg

9/3/2022: .4ml/.8mg citalopram. after a few days got some severe withdrawal so  .45ml/.9mg 9/8/2022 10/6/2022 1mg again .45ml/.9mg 12/9/2022

• 6 months later...

I did a fast taper in 2019 (100mg Zoloft from Oct - 4mg Dec), and only on it for 4 months, the first 3 months after I jumped I experienced the mild symptoms e.g. brain zaps, fatigue and flu-like symptoms. Then I felt great even than I took the meds before.

In the beginning of 2021, some symptoms back like mild brain zaps and flu-like symptoms. In April, I got the BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) symptoms before my business trip, I think that is a strong warning for the symptoms back but I didn't pay too much attention on it.

After I back home, I took a week course antibiotic to treat my diarrhoea which prescribed by doctor, three days later after I stopped the antibiotics, BPPV returned, and another 3 days later, severe anxiety made me try to reinstate the Zoloft but failed due to severe side effects.

Doctor put me on Tandospirone (Similar class like Buspirone) and I did a fast tapper from 10*3mg per day to 0.1mg and jump in on week due to the same side effects from SSRIs. After jumped the meds, I feel better and better. Then after a 6 weeks windows, I crashed again by eating the chocolate, and the severe setback just happened after one night!

Another 3 months later, no improvement, and developed more sensitive to stimulate things. I tried to reinstate a tiny does of the serotonin drugs, but it gave me bad side effects (due to serotonin toxicity) then followed by 2-3 days windows, then WD again, now don't know what to do.

So now I think the setback is the sign of delayed onset WD...

Xanax 0.4mg on and off only for bedtime occasionally from 2015

2019.6 Xanax Inter-dose withdraw after 8 weeks continuous usage 

2019.6.3 100mg Zoloft

2019.6.27 CT 0.4mg Xanax cross over to 7.14mg Valium 75mg Trazodone

2019.8.29 Jumped Valium at 0.5mg

2019.12.15 Jumped Zoloft at 4mg

2020.1.4 Jumped Trazodone at 5mg

2020.6.1 95% healed with no symptoms and sleep very well

2021.4.6 Reinstated 1mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone for anxiety setback from antibiotics 2021.4.25 0.5mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone 2021.5.7 Jumped Zoloft at 0.25mg as adverse effects 2021.6.2Tapered and jumped Tandospirone as mild serotonin syndrome Couldn’t take Seremind (Lavender oil) neither it could also cause the serotonin syndrome 2021.6.13 1mg Cyproheptadine before bed and got better and better 2021.8.13 Bad wave don’t know if triggered by chocolate ice cream

• 2 months later...

i experienced what i thought was going to be the worst part of WD when i halved my 10mg of lexapro last spring - brain zaps, manic episodes, insomnia, weight loss, increased libido (i liked the last 2). i stayed at 5 mg for a couple of months, then went to 2.5, then every other day, then off. i didn't keep track of doses, because my doctor seemed to think it wasn't a huge deal as long as i wasn't depressed. i was off by the end of july, and the mania and insomnia and zaps were gone by then.

health anxiety and depression came around the middle of september. i also began to get very anxious about my (not prescribed) valium usage, and decided to start tapering that. i knew enough at least to take that process a bit slower.

by the middle of november i had pretty much totally crashed, and the anhedonia set in, along with sexual dysfunction. my theory is that the benzo tapering stressed my already fragile CNS and all hell broke loose. my counselor, who is helping me taper, seems to think that it is the benzo withdrawal that is causing my symptoms, but of course it is impossible to tell. reading this forum, i really think a lot of it is delayed onset AD WD. unfortunately, i have to continue tapering, which continues to confuse it all.

-lexapro 10mg daily from 2012 to 2021 (halfed dose in 4/2021, went all the way off 6/21)

-various benzos 2014-2019... valium 2019-10/2021~20mg, inconsistent but daily dosing
10/9-17.5mg 10/23-15m 11/29 - 12.5 12/24 - 12 12/31 - 11.5 
2/27/22 - 11 3/31 - 10.5 4/14 - 10 5/3 - 9.5 5/15 - 9 6/6 - 8.5

Thought I'd jump in, as I also seem to be experiencing delayed onset withdrawal, though my experience is kind of unique.

I CT quit 10mg Fluoxetine after only 31 days because on day 31 it induced an absolutely immense depression that left me suicidal. After stopping, I experienced waves and windows of severe symptoms lasting a 3-4 weeks, and then an additional 4-5 weeks of more minor, manageable waves and windows. Even had a couple of days of feeling basically "normal".

About 9 days ago though my symptoms resumed, and have become increasingly severe over the past few days. It feels like a brand new phase of withdrawal akin to my first week or two after stopping the medication. I've had only one or two short windows however, as opposed to the more numerous and lasting windows I experienced in my first few weeks of withdrawal.

I attribute this mostly to the long half life of Fluoxetine and Nor-Fluoxetine. Shortly after my discontinuation I would have experienced the most dramatic drop in SERT occupancy, as the Fluoxetine was metabolized out of my system, though this would have been cushioned by it metabolizing into Nor-Fluoxetine, which exerts a similar level of effect with an even longer half life. This explains initially severe symptoms but also numerous windows; I was dropping, but there was something to catch me.

I did the math and calculated that Nor-Fluoxetine wouldn't clear my system until about 8-10 weeks. I feel the advent of these new symptoms comes as my body hits "zero". Given the potency of even small amounts medication to occupy the SERT, I'm now experiencing my second very severe drop, though this time with nothing to cushion. Reinstatement is not an option for me now as the medication caused an adverse effect and I just can't bring myself to try anymore.

I've never really been able to figure out why Fluoxetine exerted a paradoxical effect in me after about 30 days, but I understand it's not unheard of. I don't really know how this impacts the trajectory of my recovery, though unfortunately periods of very severe depression have re-emerged for me, so obviously it's having a lasting impact on my system. I'm also experiencing a more conventional set of withdrawal symptoms like hypersensitivity, neuroemotions, intrusive and ruminating thoughts, and basically every possibly permutation of depression.

1998- Fluoxetine

2012- One dose of Escitalopram causes suicidal ideation. Started Venlafaxine. Successfully discontinued using a Fluoxetine bridge.

December 2021- 4 days of 5-HTP. Had some severe dysphoric symptoms trying to discontinue. Started Fluoxetine 10mg. Provided with five 1mg doses of Ativan as well.

January 6th- Continued to take Fluoxetine 10mg. Experienced deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 9th- 5mg dose. Experiencing deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 10th- Quit Fluoxerine CT

• 4 weeks later...

@Scrountz I had a similar experience on escipratolam! I was on it for 30 days. The first 3 weeks were fine, but I had to CT it because the last week was so horrible (brain zaps, horrible depressive/ruminating thoughts). The first month off had some pretty severe waves with about 5 day windows of feeling totally normal in between. Been in a period of more windows/waves now but they are much less intense. I wish I could offer comfort in knowing how it affects our recovery trajectory, but just know you're not the only one who has experienced this. 

2022, January 29th - February 29th: Lexapro 10mg/day, stopped cold turkey

@tomatosquasher65 I'm glad to meet a fellow 30 dayer. I'm glad to hear you're managing well and that your symptoms have been gradually improving.

I wish I could say the same for myself but it's hard to assess progress. I'm certainly doing better than I was 2-3 weeks ago but my symptoms don't really follow a pattern and are pretty chaotic. I'm doing my best to just keep going with life and make it through this. This won't be forever.

1998- Fluoxetine

2012- One dose of Escitalopram causes suicidal ideation. Started Venlafaxine. Successfully discontinued using a Fluoxetine bridge.

December 2021- 4 days of 5-HTP. Had some severe dysphoric symptoms trying to discontinue. Started Fluoxetine 10mg. Provided with five 1mg doses of Ativan as well.

January 6th- Continued to take Fluoxetine 10mg. Experienced deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 9th- 5mg dose. Experiencing deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 10th- Quit Fluoxerine CT

@Scrountz Mine have felt incredible chaotic at times as well. The last two weeks I’ve had a pretty persistent migraine/strange disassociative feelings that replaced the pretty intense depressive episodes I had in my prior waves. It’s so strange man, I’m clinging to the hope that I’m on the tail end of this as the depressive symptoms seem to be less intense each time I have them. Im also trying to keep in mind that I can definitely make it worse if I don’t keep my thoughts in check. Keep me posted, we’re in this together and we will get through it. 

@Scrountz I hope you are doing well man. I just wanted to update you to tell you that my symptoms seem to be following yours more closely now. Been having more frequent windows and waves over the last 6 days or so

• 4 months later...

I would also like to chime in, as I had a late onset wave when I thought I was already out of the woods and stable, I was feeling meh but stable for 4 months from my last dose change to 10 mg, but 3 days ago a wave started out of the blue, I think I am slowly getting better, or at least I hope I am.

This process is so unpredictable, now I am even more sure that I will wait for a year after I feel fine before I start going off.

Wishing all of You a lifelong window!

V.

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

• 2 months later...

Do you think delayed withdrawal is due to being a poor metabolizer of the drug, taking longer to build up in your system and longer to detox out?

June 2020 - Feb 2021 : Nortriptyline 10 mg
July 2020 - Feb 2021 Risperidone 0.25 mg

March 2021 - April 2021 : Abilify 10 mg

late Sept 2021 - early March 2022 : Clopixol 

March 9th 2022 - Aug 10th 2022 : Lurasidone (Latuda) 40 mg

Aug 10th 2022 - Nov 2nd 2022 Lurasidone (Latuda) 30 mg

Nov 2nd 2022 - Jan 25th 2022 : Lurasidone (Latuda) 20 mg

Jan 26th 2023 - Current : Lurasidone (Latuda) 15 mg

Current Vitamins: Vit B Complex, Calcium, Magnesium, Omega 3

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had two very different experiencing with two different antidepressants.

My first experience was after I stopped taking citalopram cold turkey.  I didn't get withdrawal symptoms straight away.  I felt really great for 2-3 months and then got hit with what, at the time, I thought was the flu, although it wasn't typical flu.  I now know, from what I have learned here, that it was withdrawal, and what some call withdrawal flu.  I was bedridden for 2.5 weeks and couldn't eat and lost 8kgs in that time.

I ended up on Pristiq.  When I tried to reduce from 100mg to 50mg after 2 weeks of extreme cog fog I couldn't type.  I've been a professional typist since 1974.  SA suggested increasing my dose and after only about 4 HOURS later I was able to type again.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor
6 hours ago, Sadie1 said:

Do you think delayed withdrawal is due to being a poor metabolizer of the drug, taking longer to build up in your system and longer to detox out?

i don’t think it’s that at all @Sadie1  I think and see articles (mad in America) stating that neurotransmitters in the brain shut down when we are on SSRIs due to the flood of seretonin that the SSRI creates. When we stop taking SSRIs serotonin levels drop and the neurotransmitters have to grow back which is a slow, physical process. 

WD is a physical healing process and nothing to do with traces of drug in the body. The drug goes in a few days/weeks. The brain healing takes months/years. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

I think that it could be linked to CNS sensitisation, wd process takes place even if You can't feel the symptoms and they are causing sensitisation, to the point when You are so sensitised that You feel wd symptoms.

There are ppl here that dropped drugs cold turkey and each time the symptom free period got shorter and shorter, even I can be an example of that, first time when I was on drugs I stopped abruptly and felt fine but slowly degrading for over a year. Second time that I had tried that I was in hell after 3 days.

So in my opinion pharma stance that wd is mild is based on the fact that most people aren't sensitised to the point of feeling wd happening when they are first introduced to the drugs.

Still to think that we have so many illnesses that we know of that give no symptoms up to the point that it is too late to save somebody and these morons can't fathom that the fact that there are no symptoms doesn't mean that wd is non-existent, mild or whatever, the same way that stage IV cancer that someone doesn't feel isn't...

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

• 5 months later...

In my case, it will soon be the 5th month after stopping ads.
I discontinued the drugs due to emotional blunting and sexual dysfunction. They still persist.
No withdrawal symptoms until then (possibly memory deterioration and less skin sensation).
But in recent weeks I've had hourly episodes of strange, general anxiety. It was almost unbearable. This was also accompanied by nerve symptoms such as a burning sensation on my skin in certain areas.
I was afraid it was akathisia. It appeared at night. It calmed down and did not appear for some time until yesterday.
I am very afraid of akathisia. I heard of a case where the akathisia appeared a year after stopping medication and lasted for years....

As much as I would like to believe that simply the emotional blunting is over, and this only returns my natural anxiety.

05.2021 mirtazapine (first 15 mg, after 2 weeks 30 mg)

08.2021 citalopram (?mg)

10.2021 switching from citalopram to duloxetine (60 mg), mirtazapine 15 mg

04.2022 switching from duloxetine to vortioxetine 10 mg (4 weeks on 30 mg duloxetine), mirtazapine 7.5

06.2022 off mirtazapine

07.2022 off vortioxetine 5 mg (irregular taking - can be called CT)

07.2022 back to vortioxetine 10 mg and mirtazapine 7.5 mg

03.09.2022 reduce 10 mg vortioxetine to 5 mg

10.2022 off vortioxetine

11.2022 reduce mirtazapine to 3.75

12.2022 off mirtazapine (ALL MEDS OFF)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy