Problems with Speech or Communicating

OutdoorsMan15

During my time on this site I have yet to see anyone post a topic relating solely to speech problems.  After doing some research on withdrawal and reading people's stories I have noticed that speech issues are a common problem for people in withdrawal.

I have had huge problems with speech ever since I stopped the drugs but I am not sure if it is a separate issue or the result of my other symptoms.  For example, I have had tinging/droopiness in my face throughout withdrawal which would make it hard for anyone to talk.  I also had cognitive issues early on, which could also explain why it would be difficult to communicate.

What I currently feel is a combination of a couple things.  I 1) Still feel I have a hard time putting thoughts into words and explaining long stories right and 2) Generally do not have a desire to talk.  I was a pretty outgoing person before this mess and am just starting to get that back but when my symptoms flare up I am almost completely mute because speech is too difficult.  This obviously causes a ton of problems socially which is also why I've been pretty isolated at times.

I would like to hear some other people's experiences with speech problems and how it has manifested in your case.  Has it gotten significantly better for anyone?

Edited by Petunia
added tags

September-December 2012: 10mg Paxil and no long term W/D symptoms

July-August 2013: 10mg Celexa for anxiety-based(?) insomnia, no W/D symptoms

October-December 2014: 37.5 and then 75mg Effexor XR

December 18, 2014: Last dose of Effexor after ~ 3 week taper

1)2) I feel like that too! Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice, as I'm also new here, and it's only my 17th day of wd...

CD off meds in July 2015, not on any medication since. Went through WD nightmare, now dealing with normal anxiety, but decided not to leave this forum yet because I want to support and give hope to others. ♡

It will get better with time.  It's been painfully slow but it is getting better for me and will get better for you too.  During my first couple months of withdrawal almost any stimuli made my speech worse: exercise, food, TALKING, loud noises, etc.  Now that I am 7 months out the only things that seem to aggravate it are caffeine and sometimes alcohol.  Accepting and coping with this is extremely difficult but it will improve.  Give up all self-criticism and expectations you have for yourself during this time, it helps a lot.

Thanks for the tip! Everything is appreciated

CD off meds in July 2015, not on any medication since. Went through WD nightmare, now dealing with normal anxiety, but decided not to leave this forum yet because I want to support and give hope to others. ♡

Hey, Outdoorsman

I'm not sure if what I've been experiencing is related to what you are experiencing, but I'll mention it anyway for whatever it's worth.

Basically, the past year or so I've noticed that I find it difficult sometimes to put words into proper sentences. I'll know most of the words that I want to use, but I won't be able to think of how to start the sentence, or sometimes I will have to stop mid-sentence as the words simply aren't in my head. Then, I'll have to think really hard to find the words to use and to put them in order to make a sentence.

This probably happens on average twice per conversation.

I also stumble over words a lot.

I used to be able to speak extremely well. I had a job in telephone customer service that involved speaking perfectly for eight hours per day, forty hours per week. And I did it no problem.

But now? No way.

Part of me wonders is it in part due to the overload of information I fill my brain with - all the media we take in every day, on tv, the internet, social media, etc. Our brains are not used to all the media we currently fill ourselves with. This has only become real in the past ten or fifteen years. So I think my brain is overloaded.

But it has definitely gotten a lot worse the past year, which is also the same time I started experiencing various withdrawal difficulties.

Wishing you well and I hope you find some peace. That's all that really matters.

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

Hello OutdoorsMan et al!

I also have difficulty finding my words even in my first language and expressing exactly what I mean to say.

There is a thread about this in this section. Language problems

Best to you,

Athena

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

Interesting points. I feel like my word finding has gotten better until the point where I have to tell long stories or make long arguments, then it seems I can't describe it the way it is being played out in my mind. My vocabulary and cognition is there but it is still just uncomfortable to speak at times- only way to describe it.

While on full strength Paxil, 20mg for me, I found it very difficult at times to say the words I meant to say. Also, mispronouncing words frequently, or having a brain freeze in the middle of a conversation where I'll forget what we're even talking about.  I felt much improved after I tapered down to 10mg.  But after going down to 5mg, I find the same problems arose. I'm down to 2.5mg now and hopefully will see how things shake out in a few weeks.

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

While on full strength Paxil, 20mg for me, I found it very difficult at times to say the words I meant to say. Also, mispronouncing words frequently, or having a brain freeze in the middle of a conversation where I'll forget what we're even talking about.  I felt much improved after I tapered down to 10mg.  But after going down to 5mg, I find the same problems arose. I'm down to 2.5mg now and hopefully will see how things shake out in a few weeks.

That Brain Freeze it catches me off guard when I'm talking to a friend. I'm trying to give my friend advice for 1 second then all of a sudden i pause and completely forget what I'm talking about. It's the worst.

Summer 2013: started on Prozac for OCD

Fall 2013: started Lexapro due to Prozac zombie effects

Stopped Lexapro because of lack of empathy/emotion,anxiety,lack of concentration etc.

Fall 2014: switched to zoloft 

February 2015: started effexor quit C/D after 2 weeks.

April 2015: was on zoloft for a month again to try and wean a bit more slowly. DID not work.

May 2015: dumped all of my medications

July 2015: Struggling day to day with withdrawal symptoms but hopeful that I'll be better at the end of august for the next school year.

I have speech problems too. I can't form sentences correctly. I forget words, even the basic and simple words, like "diaper". Sometimes I slur words as I am speaking. It is very disconcerting. But another much worse problem for me has been my voice. I used to be a singer. No way now. It is way to Difficult to sing. There are times when it is just way to difficult to talk too. People will ask me why I am whispering. Has anyone else had any problems with their voice? I am really struggling to explain the vocal strain.

I have speech problems too. I can't form sentences correctly. I forget words, even the basic and simple words, like "diaper". Sometimes I slur words as I am speaking. It is very disconcerting. But another much worse problem for me has been my voice. I used to be a singer. No way now. It is way to Difficult to sing. There are times when it is just way to difficult to talk too. People will ask me why I am whispering. Has anyone else had any problems with their voice? I am really struggling to explain the vocal strain.

Thanks for posting this and sharing this horror.

I am the same i had a great trained  voice and sang in opera choruses....its been completely destroyed. i cant sing now cant even hold a note ..i have no strength and see no sign of an improvement whatsoever. its been 5 yrs

whats been done to us is criminal.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I have been tapering lexapro for the past couple years and Ian now at 2.3mg. Along with all the other more familiar symptoms pains, brain non functional, blurred vision etc, I suddenly started having difficulty speaking. It started yesterday when I was on the phone with my sister and in the middle I felt it so I hung up. It lasted for less a hour or so. This morning when I woke up, I felt my speak ability was completely gone for a good hour with teeth binding so tight.

Has anyone ever had similar experience? Is it more from side effect or WD?

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

I have experienced it in the last month. I'm severely sleep deprived and fatigued so I'm assuming that's the reason. I have lot slept for more that 2 hours at a time and 6 hours total in 7 months.

Do you feel fatigued ? How's your sleep?

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

LexAnger,

Check this link out....

http://binged.it/28VANk9

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

Wow, thank you so very much Christian for responding and the link! It helps a lot!

I searched up and down online before seeing your responses and found many Rory's about sluring speech caused from taking lexapro not getting off of it. The link you provided suggesting it's from withdrawal. I guess the root is due to neurological damage which can be from taking the drug or getting off of it.

This symptom is very scary at the least to say even giving all my anticipation during years of battling. I have been on the forum all the time reading everything and ebpvryone story but never heard about this symptom.

My hope is to know if this new symptom is due to too fast taper or drug resistance (as I found in the past half year that I developed resistance to lexapro, each cut eases the drug reaction symptom, so I have been doing a rather fast taper lately). This has been a constant struggle for me not knowing what is caused by which, the two complete opposite directions.

Sadly, I found more I learn, and farther I move along the journey, the more hopeless and heartbroken I am. I seriously think I'm totally destroyed and no way of getting out and being healthy again. And I'm not thinking this way because of drug makes me to.

To answer your question, I'm heavily sedated by lexapro evenin at this low dose, so it knocks me off everyday for 9 hours sleep or more. I do sometimes still feel fatigue but it's more like sedation like all your cells went to sleep. The true fatigue of my experience is when I feel my heart is weak/ heavy. All the above are my newer symptoms in the past half year. They always come after each tiny drop I take ( I had to take the liquid in 12-14 hours period to avoid extreme reaction of feeling like in coma) and subside over 30 mins right before I have to take another drop.

All my symptoms ( WD ones and the reaction ones) tend to lesson in evening on most days. I am like dying in Day time then able to go to gym for light work out then feel almost good afterwards.

So how are you coping?

I hope you are doing better lately.

Hug,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

I have this sometimes too, Lex. As I worked with words it was devastating. But it only happened when I felt severe wd, and it always got better. It's drug related and it will pass. Nowadays I loose words here and there, but I can feel it's from the brain fog and doesnt scare me.

I hope it helped. Hugs!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Wow, thank you so very much Christian for responding and the link! It helps a lot!

I searched up and down online before seeing your responses and found many Rory's about sluring speech caused from taking lexapro not getting off of it. The link you provided suggesting it's from withdrawal. I guess the root is due to neurological damage which can be from taking the drug or getting off of it.

This symptom is very scary at the least to say even giving all my anticipation during years of battling. I have been on the forum all the time reading everything and ebpvryone story but never heard about this symptom.

My hope is to know if this new symptom is due to too fast taper or drug resistance (as I found in the past half year that I developed resistance to lexapro, each cut eases the drug reaction symptom, so I have been doing a rather fast taper lately). This has been a constant struggle for me not knowing what is caused by which, the two complete opposite directions.

Sadly, I found more I learn, and farther I move along the journey, the more hopeless and heartbroken I am. I seriously think I'm totally destroyed and no way of getting out and being healthy again. And I'm not thinking this way because of drug makes me to.

To answer your question, I'm heavily sedated by lexapro evenin at this low dose, so it knocks me off everyday for 9 hours sleep or more. I do sometimes still feel fatigue but it's more like sedation like all your cells went to sleep. The true fatigue of my experience is when I feel my heart is weak/ heavy. All the above are my newer symptoms in the past half year. They always come after each tiny drop I take ( I had to take the liquid in 12-14 hours period to avoid extreme reaction of feeling like in coma) and subside over 30 mins right before I have to take another drop.

All my symptoms ( WD ones and the reaction ones) tend to lesson in evening on most days. I am like dying in Day time then able to go to gym for light work out then feel almost good afterwards.

So how are you coping?

I hope you are doing better lately.

Hug,

Lex

Im doing so so. Thanks for asking. That sedating feeling is awful. Ive had it since WD kicked in. Its a common WD symptom and can last for months after going off the meds. Unfortunately, it doesnt help me sleep. I take Mirtazapine at a low dose for the last 3 months so that I am sure contributes to the sedation. Even with Mirtz I am only getting 5 hours sleep a night interrupted. Its getting worse not better.       

Dear AmyK,

Thank you so much for the very needed rescue! I have been so terrified even since this happened and constantly worrying about it even in my sleep last night. The first thing waking up this morning I did was to test if it came back!

I had dispfficulties before getting words and speaking out but yesterday was different. I could feel the part of brain needed for speaking was numbed and struggling,

I feel a lot better now with your assurance that this dose get better and happens only occasionally.

So you are saying it's more drug side effect rather than WD?

How are you doing, my friend? Have you found things are better off at lower doses overall?

Love and hugs,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Imagine finding the words in English...OMG! I have to look so many words up. :)

I cant really tell if it's a side effect or wd. I would say wd, but I am not sure.//EDIT: I had to think again. For me it's connected with the hours after taking the drug. I had to start take it in the afternoon instead of morning because I couldnt work on the fog it gave me.//

I have had four wonderful days. I am so happy for that. I have worked in the garden and havent almost thought about wd. Otherwise I can say when I feel like that I am almost "normal". So it's definately better on the lower doses. But the drops are a little more edgy (the burning skin and such) and unpredictable. Like you I have to drop often now.

You will be fine. Just keep going.

Lots of love.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• 3 months later...

Hi, everyone. As some of you already know, I've experienced heavy withdrawal syndrome at the beginning of this year, caused by ceasing paroxetine treatment. I got back at it after three months, and had two other meds: Xanax and Trittico (trazodone).

I dropped Xanax after a month, I still taking trazodone (started with 75 mg, now - 25 mg), and from the beginning of October I started to drop paroxetine, 10% drop.

Now, the question - ever since reinstating paroxetine, which came along with starting Xanax and trazodone I noticed some form of speech problems. I'm regularly loosing sense in a middle of a sentence, loosing words, and start to sputter. It's almost like when you're heavy stressed, but the thing is, it happens irregardles of whether I'm stressed or not. I also noticed it happens during writing something down as well. I'm writing, for example, a note for someone, look at it, at it's all, I don't know, a clumsy babble. I also often misread words.

Adding to that, came a memory problem. I used to have brilliant memory, especially at work. I was able to remember what someone said days, months or even a year ago if it was relevant. Now I often forget, for example, I remember that I talked to someone but I can't remember what about, or what was settled due to this conversation.

I first thought that Xanax was the cause of the speech issue, but now Xanax is a bad memory, yet the problem remained. My memory, however, started to weak before any attempts on tapering, without any particular cause.

Another thing - body aches. I regulary experience stingy pains though my body, mostly limbs and neck, sometimes on the back, just when the kidneys are. It feels like blood flow problems. I'm going to see doctor about, yet I wonder if one of this meds may have caused it. I'm also having headaches and this strange feeling of having "empty" or "tired" brain.

I'll be grateful for any thoughts you may have on this.

(Paroxetine - ceased on January, reinstated last days of march with serotonine syndrome. From 20 mg to 40 mg, now dropped by 10%; trazodone - from 75 mg since March till 25 mg today, two attempts on dropping; Xanax CR - from March to April).

I don't want much with life. I want it leave me alone.

Medical history:

2005 - 2006 – diagnosis: OCD. Meds: sertraline (Setaloft), from 30 mg to 120 mg. Side effects: insomnia, anorexia (psychic inabillity to eat), obesity; some sleep medication (don't remember the name), side effects: halucination. 2007 – sertraline withdrawal by myself. Reducing the dose slowly (120 mg – 90 mg – 60 mg – 30 mg – 0 mg). Felt great for about a year. 2008 – diazepam, taking ocasionally if needed. 2010 – paroxetine (Seroxat, then: Parogen) for OCD. From 20 mg to 40 mg. Side effects: none. Piracetamum (Memotropil), side effects: general weakness. Withdrawal of piracetamum: after two years (none withdrawal syndrome). 2016 – attempt to withdraw paroxetine. Severe depression after month and a half. Insomnia, nervousness, loss of weight. Suicide thoughts. Returning to paroxetine in march. From 10 mg to 20 mg. Side effects: sudden suicide thoughts, serotonine syndrome, panic attacks. Other meds: Clonazepam 0,5 mg for three days (benzodiazepam), side effects: none; Alprazolamum (Xanax): from 0,25 mg to 0,5 mg; side effects: obstruction, acne, period stoppage. Withdraw after a month, side effects: one-day lasting histeria; Trazodonum (Trittico CR): from 75 mg to 25 mg. Side effects: somnolance. 2016, June – dropping the dose of paroxetine from 40 mg to 30 mg. Side effects: mood swings. Withdrawing Trazodonum from 25 mg to 0 mg. Side effects: wide mood swings and fretfulness for about a week; too rapid, don't recommend. Went back to 25 mg of trazodone and 40 mg of paroxetine. 2016, July - dropped trazodone by 10 %, went back to 25 mg after two weeks (cause: depresion). 2016, October - 10% paroxetine drop, leaving trazodone at 25 mg. 2016, November - second 10% paroxetine drop. 2017, October - 25 mg of paroxetine, 25 mg of trazodone. Boredom. Tired. No hope, no joy. For now.

Suplements: vitamins – C (600 mg), D3 (4500 IU), K2 (6400 IU), B15 (50 mg); hawaiian spirulina; fish collagen; fish oil (1 spoon); probiotic; magnesium (50 mg), selenium (200 mcg); flaxseed (1-2 spoons/day); minced milk thistle (1 spoon/day).

Diet: mostly vegan, gluten-free due to doctor's advice. Drinks: water, green tea, cistus incantus.

Books I recommendYour Body Many Cries for Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj; Hidden Therapies by Jerzy Zięba; Deadly Medicine and Organized Denial by Peter C. Gøtzsche; The Microbiom Solution by Robynne Chutkan; Urban Shaman and Mastering Your Hidden Self  by Serge Kahili King.

• Moderator Emeritus

At various times I've had trouble spelling, finding words that I want, and more recently typing the wrong words.  Here are SA discussions:

trouble-spelling

language-problems

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for the links, language problems seem pretty common... I have problems with both my native language and English as well. Plus, today I feel like a halfwit. As if my brain was working too slow. I think I'm gonna go for neurologist examination.

Medical history:

2005 - 2006 – diagnosis: OCD. Meds: sertraline (Setaloft), from 30 mg to 120 mg. Side effects: insomnia, anorexia (psychic inabillity to eat), obesity; some sleep medication (don't remember the name), side effects: halucination. 2007 – sertraline withdrawal by myself. Reducing the dose slowly (120 mg – 90 mg – 60 mg – 30 mg – 0 mg). Felt great for about a year. 2008 – diazepam, taking ocasionally if needed. 2010 – paroxetine (Seroxat, then: Parogen) for OCD. From 20 mg to 40 mg. Side effects: none. Piracetamum (Memotropil), side effects: general weakness. Withdrawal of piracetamum: after two years (none withdrawal syndrome). 2016 – attempt to withdraw paroxetine. Severe depression after month and a half. Insomnia, nervousness, loss of weight. Suicide thoughts. Returning to paroxetine in march. From 10 mg to 20 mg. Side effects: sudden suicide thoughts, serotonine syndrome, panic attacks. Other meds: Clonazepam 0,5 mg for three days (benzodiazepam), side effects: none; Alprazolamum (Xanax): from 0,25 mg to 0,5 mg; side effects: obstruction, acne, period stoppage. Withdraw after a month, side effects: one-day lasting histeria; Trazodonum (Trittico CR): from 75 mg to 25 mg. Side effects: somnolance. 2016, June – dropping the dose of paroxetine from 40 mg to 30 mg. Side effects: mood swings. Withdrawing Trazodonum from 25 mg to 0 mg. Side effects: wide mood swings and fretfulness for about a week; too rapid, don't recommend. Went back to 25 mg of trazodone and 40 mg of paroxetine. 2016, July - dropped trazodone by 10 %, went back to 25 mg after two weeks (cause: depresion). 2016, October - 10% paroxetine drop, leaving trazodone at 25 mg. 2016, November - second 10% paroxetine drop. 2017, October - 25 mg of paroxetine, 25 mg of trazodone. Boredom. Tired. No hope, no joy. For now.

Suplements: vitamins – C (600 mg), D3 (4500 IU), K2 (6400 IU), B15 (50 mg); hawaiian spirulina; fish collagen; fish oil (1 spoon); probiotic; magnesium (50 mg), selenium (200 mcg); flaxseed (1-2 spoons/day); minced milk thistle (1 spoon/day).

Diet: mostly vegan, gluten-free due to doctor's advice. Drinks: water, green tea, cistus incantus.

Books I recommendYour Body Many Cries for Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj; Hidden Therapies by Jerzy Zięba; Deadly Medicine and Organized Denial by Peter C. Gøtzsche; The Microbiom Solution by Robynne Chutkan; Urban Shaman and Mastering Your Hidden Self  by Serge Kahili King.

Even the most erudite among us have had problems with that! :-)) It's mostly like withdrawal and will resolve with time. The worst thing is getting annoyed or irritated with yourself - it is what it is at that time.

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

Now, any thoughts on those weird body aches?

Medical history:

Now, any thoughts on those weird body aches?

Hi AnaTheCat,  I am tapering off Celexa and have been having what you are describing.  I have this "stinging" all over my body and especially in/on my head.  Sometimes it is so bad I cannot move my fingers.  I know it is withdrawals, because I do have days when the sensations aren't as strong, or disappear from various body parts and reappear in others.  They can be very distressing at times for me.  

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Supplements Cal/Mag , Potassium, , Multi Vitamin.  digestive aid, antioxidant

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

Anathecat- I have also experienced the stingy pains you describe.

They have presented themselves all over my body, but are sporadic and can take me by surprise.

I guess these are nerves firing off, I don't know.

As for the body aches, well, I am into my next round of those. The first lot I experienced early in WD.

Stress and emotional issues are the culprit I think.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 2 weeks later...

I have been experiencing muscle pain and/or joint pain.

I mentioned weight loss and muscle loss in another thread...not sure if it's all related.

My pain is mainly in my hips/upper legs.

Any thoughts??

(I am currently in 9 mos post-WD)

I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg. As of June 23, 2017 I am on a liquid tapered dose of klonopin. Current dose 4.1ml as of February 21, 2018**

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find something helpful here:  Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I have been experiencing muscle pain and/or joint pain.

I mentioned weight loss and muscle loss in another thread...not sure if it's all related.

My pain is mainly in my hips/upper legs.

Any thoughts??

(I am currently in 9 mos post-WD)

This has been one of the biggest problems for me. It started in 2003 going on Paxil and every time I tried to get off and again on startup. Once I was on for about a month it would go away. Every time I went off it happened a couple of months later.

This time I thought by slow tapering I would not have the leg issues. Well, it started hurting bad and weakness that it so hard to explain to anyone when I got down to 2 mg.

when I finally got off19 months ago it got severe and now fluctuates but it is always there. I do think I am doing better lately though. My pain is like very sore muscles after a workout that never goes away, weakness, stiffness, and I know this sounds crazy but it has been the only way I could describe it since it first happened in 2003, my legs feel "sick" like if just my legs had the flu mostly in my thighs, and this weird weak feeling.

I also lost about 10 lbs or more of muscle mass from all over, really noticeable in my shoulders. I used to be 200lb of muscle at 6 ft and I am now at 187 and everyone notices this. I still eat like mad and I get really weak if I don't eat whereas I used to skip lunch all the time.

So from all the research I have done on this issue and others who have had it, I can tell you it is WD. I've seen recoveries after up to 3 years and some rare cases still have after 8 years.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

• 2 weeks later...

10 mg dropped and my memory, speech and logical thinking are such a mess. Body aches are back (they went away for some time), my hands are even stiffening sometimes. Geez.

Medical history:

• 1 year later...

I've been having a lot of issues with not being able to think clearly and slurring my speech when I talk. Is this a common symptom of withdrawal and has anyone noticed this reverse when starting to heal?

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 31/07/2015 at 2:41 PM, Demead said:

Sometimes I slur words as I am speaking.

• Altostrata changed the title to Problems with Speech or Communicating

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy