Skyler

☼ Skyler: Completed: Benzo/Lyrica/Requip Tapers

Skyler   
Skyler

No more Lyrica as of today.  The taper is finished.  Yayyyy.  The active tapering took about 2 years, with a 13 month hold to finish up another taper in the middle (well, 9 months of the 13 was a complete hold of any tapering.)  Outside of a little tinnitus (what else is new?), I'm feeling good.  Will probably hit a few bumps in the next couple of weeks, though nothing untoward.  It was a smooth drop off from my first taper, diazepam, and I don't expect anything different with this one.

One drug, requip, to go... and I'm already pretty low on that, so I figure tapering should be a thing of the past in 12 months, maybe less.

And for now... I'm celebrating! noisemaker-smiley-emoticon.gif

Adagiooo   
Adagiooo

Yeah Skyler!!! Way to go!!! You have accomplished much by being patient and diligent. I have no doubt your last drug taper will be as smooth as the others. Wishing you complete and total drug freedom as soon as you can manage it and continued good health.

Peace and (((((hugs)))) to you. You should be very proud of yourself! And celebrate you should!

Skyler   
Skyler

I cut and pasted my final benzo post below.  When I finish tapering requip in the next several months, the last of 3 tapers, I'll be back to post a final update.  This has been quite a journey.. which started in June of 2010 when I hit the 'wall' with Klonopin and knew I needed to get off.

Off benzos as of today for the first time in over twenty-five years and I'm in a mood to celebrate!!                       fireworks-smiley-emoticon.gif noisemaker-smiley-emoticon.gif party-noisemaker-smiley-emoticon.gif smiley-lights-fireworks.gif lets-party-smiley-emoticon.gif

I had to go very slowwwly, start date was 7/2010, but the taper was largely unsymptomatic... with the exception of tinnitus picked up due to a cross over effect from another drug at 1.25 mgs. diazepam. Going slow was the only way for me and I'm grateful to have found a helpful forum before I started. Yes, power to forums!

Please note, I went very slowly and had no withdrawal symptoms after my last ever so tiny dose of diazepam.

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Hurray! Congratulations, Skyler. You're a tribute to gradual tapering.

Hopefull   
Hopefull

Congratulations Skyler!

It is exceptionally motivating to know that you have managed to get off Lyrica.

I will get there too.

I wish you all the best in the future.

How does it feel to be free from meds?

Best wishes, Hopefull.

Skyler   
Skyler

Thanks Mei and Hopefull... I'm afraid I overstated a little in the title though... I'm almost off the requip, and just tweaked the title to reflect that.  It's relatively easy tapering off the requip.. The elephants in the room are finished.. the K/diazepam and the Lyrica.  Now to get rid of the tail end of this last... Ayup, I walked the 10% walk.. and it worked for me.  Except for 2 or 3 rocky months at the top of the klonopin taper, my quality of life has been untouched.. almost as if I was not tapering (I did have insomnia for a few days right after cuts, which then remitted).  And that's the whole idea, to taper slow enough to maintain a good quality.

Mort81   
Mort81

Wow this is a testament to how effective a slow taper or micro taper can be. I know it always doesnt work out as some people have gotten  tough WD anyway, but it definatly improves the chances of reducing the symptoms and the fact that quality of life was not changed is Huge!. Glad to see this working so well for you Skyler .  :D

Skyler   
Skyler

Well, this wraps it up.  Last night I took my last dose of Requip.. I have finally finished tapering after 5 years and 8 months... with one 9 month hold 2+ years in.  WOW... I packed up the remaining oral syringes, and tossed the last of the Requip.  I don't expect a bump up of symptoms from terminating the Requip because I've gone down so gradually... no residual to catch up. 

Save for a few months early on, for the most part, my quality of life was not adversely impacted.

So... benzo free 10/13

Lyrica free  8/15

Requip free 3/16

ChessieCat   
ChessieCat

Three cheers for Skyler.  Well done!!!

geminigirl   
geminigirl

Yay skylar, congrats! I don't know you but I am happy for you.

Hugs,

Yana

Skyler   
Skyler

Thank-you geminigirl and Chessie... yes, it sure is great, no more 'home chemistry set' in my kitchen (oral syringes, mixing syringes, pill vials to mix, etc).  I take one pill a month for my bones... otherwise, NADA!

Rhiannon   
Rhiannon

WOW Skyler, congratulations! You're an inspiration. Way to go!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

btdt   
btdt

Congratulations Skyler!

Wishing you peace! 

Skyler   
Skyler

Thanks melody, Rhi, btdt, and meg.  It was a long haul but definitely worthwhile. I still remember the consternation I felt when first hearing I had to taper... TWO months I thought, two months it would take me to get off the benzo, then I thought 6 months, then learned 2 years..  Then Alto gave me more bad news... Lyrica needed to be tapered, and Requip as well.  I'm glad I did not realize it was going to take me 6+ years at the outset!

I'm a BIG advocate of slow tapering..   and helping others thru their tapering journeys has made me all the more aware of the need for going SLOWLY!

Skylarblue75   
Skylarblue75

Hi skylar and congrats on getting off all those meds. Question for you do you still have Fibromyalgia? If yes how are you managing it?

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Congratulations, Skyler! I think you were one of the very earliest members of SurvivingAntidepressants.org. We've come a long way. Thanks so much for all your help.

roadback1   
roadback1

Congratulations Skyler !! ???????????? Enjoy your med free days, and also the beautiful Vermont Spring and upcoming Summer !

Skyler   
Skyler

Thanks Skylar, Alto, and roadback.  I've been a member here since July of 2011.  I remember, when I first came on board, everything seemed okay, the benzo taper was going well, and I thought I'd just coast off Lyrica and Requip.. what a rude awakening.  I hope my journey helps someone who thinks withdrawal symptoms are a forgone conclusion.. if one starts off symptomatic, there is no way out.. a rough taper is awaiting.  NOT.. a slow taper will always help, and if withdrawal symptoms cannot be entirely stilled, they can be brought to such a low roar as to slide into the background.  

The bottom line is about having the best possible quality of life while tapering and finally eliminating whatever psychotropic(s) one is on.

Hugs to all..

Skyler, a proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Skyler   
Skyler

Thanks for your message Hibari...but just to clarify, I have no post withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. I slid off ever so slowly, and the only changes are positive; I don't have the nuisance of taking a liquid dose twice a day, and I'm sleeping a little better too.. Slow tapers rule!!!

manymoretodays   
manymoretodays

Well, this wraps it up.  Last night I took my last dose of Requip.. I have finally finished tapering after 5 years and 8 months... with one 9 month hold 2+ years in.  WOW... I packed up the remaining oral syringes, and tossed the last of the Requip.  I don't expect a bump up of symptoms from terminating the Requip because I've gone down so gradually... no residual to catch up. 

Save for a few months early on, for the most part, my quality of life was not adversely impacted.

So... benzo free 10/13

Lyrica free  8/15

Requip free 3/16

Excellent Syler!!!  Bye bye Requip!  You are there.  :)

mac   
mac

Congratulations Skyler, reading your posts are an inspiration to me. What was your last dose of Lyrica before stopping completely?

Terry4949   
Terry4949

Congratulations skyler , you are where we all hope to be some day , how did you find tapering from the lyrica and as Mac asks in the post above what was your last dose of lyrica , I am on 200mg a day but I am going to start reducing it shortly want to get down to as lower dose as possible

mac   
mac

I am not suggesting you do this Terry, but I managed to drop to 300 to 50 fairly quickly without too much problems, it certainly gets more painful for me the lower the dose. I asked for 50s and 25s so I could go 300/275/250 etc with fairly quick succession and little issue. I got so confident I ended up down to 10-20mg ish a day (guessing), at that point I just roughly emptied out part of the pill. It wasn't till I found myself crying every day and some other unusual symptoms I started googling and realised what I had let myself in for. Went quickly back up to 50 and trying 10-20% for a few days now.

Skyler   
Skyler

I tapered 10% a month down from 300 mgs.. mac, I could not drop like you did this last time around.  When I was on previously, I could ease off 150 or 300 mgs over a couple of months, but after I was on and off a couple of times I got caught, and had to do a full taper...  You need to fill out your sig. line because I cannot tell how long your were taking Lyrica.  And Terry cannot put your information into context either...

Once I got to something like 20 mgs, I started to come off in measured increments... 1 mg every week or two.  I'm a lazy mathematician, and even doing it that way less math intensive. This worked for me as long as I was going slowly, and not having too much withdrawal.. so I started to listen to my body at about that point, as opposed to doing precise 10% cuts... But the pace was judicious.  My worst withdrawal symptom was muscle spasms. 

I could be wrong on this, and of course everything varies according to prior CNS sensitization, but it took me a fairly long time to get fully 'hooked' on Lyrica.  So the time it took to become dependent seems longer than for some of the other psychotropics.  That said, once I was, it was 10% all the way.. until 20 mgs at any rate... then I kind of slowllyyy slid off. 

Actually I did the same with all 3 drugs... lost the infernal math decimals at the more extreme low end, and just kind of looked at the overall reduction rates.. cut every week to two weeks... and a couple of times increased the amount of diluent, which of course meant I went more slowly as well.

Thanks manymore for your tidings..  I wish you all the best as you journey on.

mac   
mac

Probably about 3.5 years but it is such a blur I am not 100% on amounts. I was on 50mg for a while then ramped up to 300mg probably fairly quickly. Thanks for the info. Was 1mg the last dose? 

Thanks for all the info  :)

Skyler   
Skyler

The final dose was 1 mg.  For the last several months, I reduced by 1 mg each cut (under 20 mgs), increasing dilution and hold times when symptomatic when needed, but keeping to 1 mg. for each. Then I dropped off 1 mg.  But the fact this worked for me does not mean it will be the same for you.

You need to fill in your sig line..  Thanks

mac   
mac

Thanks will sort out my sig soon. I realise it is different for everyone but good to have a rough gauge. Appreciate the help.

elbee   
elbee

Inspirational as I begin my journey, round two, much slower this time. Thanks!

Skyler   
Skyler

Just want to touch base and let folks know I'm still doing well.... went down real gradual like, kind of drifted off the lower doses... I did not jump.. at the lowest end of the taper, when reducing by 10% no longer worked because the amount of the reductions (despite using a goodly amount of water to mix) was no longer readable on the syringe, I divided the doses into even amounts and reduced further that way.  I had a few muscle spasms, nothing major, about three weeks out, and that was it, no other unpleasant sequella.