machawolf

Overstimulation and increased sensitivity to light, sound etc.

AR2003

KarenB

Thank you very much for posting this. I had a look at Limbic Kindling. Finding it really difficult to understand but that mostly because of my brain tonight I am so Very tired.

I am very sensitive to sound , not as much to light. Its like this for me since 2014. I was on a lot of meds. Tapered. Cross tapered. Cold turkey. Sheer hell. It has got better . A wee bit .

Mind you , I was out for a while today with my daughter. The noise and heat in the shopping centre increased my physical pain so much. It was indeed really difficult and we had to go home. I do have a long road ahead of me.

tntd

Hi AR2003,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still so sensitive. Are you able to get out much or does it keep you mostly housebound?

I hope you are feeling better since you got home.

The Limbic Kindling is fascinating. My pdoc is an addicitonologist and told me that a person who is an alcoholic for a really long time and then goes off has and easier withdrawal than a person who goes off and on repeatedly. I asked if he though that applied to psych meds and he said he did, even if it has been years since they were last exposed. Scary stuff.

KarenB

It's not just your brain AR, it is hard to understand.  I had to read it through a few times, and then resorted to my fall back method of making notes, in order to get my head around it.  I usually back off from complicated things, but I do put a lot of store by info from GiaK (Beyond Meds), so I wanted to at least try, and I'm glad I did. 

I've been trying out the neuro-sculpting meditation yesterday and today, and I quite like it.  Am hoping to reduce my sensitivities even a little bit, in order to get through w/d in a more robust way - and I figure this can't hurt. 

Sounds like you have it pretty rough AR, but do keep plugging away at it.  I always think that one step closer to healing is better than no steps closer. 

Help777

Here is the link. It was written with post injury recovery in mind. I'm sure our brains were injured. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/healing-possibility/201111/anxiety-modern-plague

There was not a lot of noise at the event. Lots of light and social interaction. I'm still not recovered from it. Maybe it's another wave? If so this has been the worst one yet. Hard to make sense of this.

Help777

All I want to do is cry in a dark room and then try to be still. I force myself to get up but the. I am triggered.

Altostrata

Your body is telling you to stay in a dark room for a bit and avoid stimulation.

tntd

Hi Karen,

I see you said that you have been trying out the neuro-sculpting meditation. Is it a product that you bought or is it something you found on youtube? It looks really interesting. Hope it is helping you.

Thanks

Altostrata

merged similar topics

KarenB

I didn't buy anything, I just browsed around BeyondMeds and found a radio interview about it, in which the teacher takes the listeners through a guided meditation.  She also explains how/why it works, which I found very useful.  From there I have just been doing it on my own.

AR2003

Hi tntd

Thank you. For the last 6 months , I have been about the house mostly. The leg/buttock pain practically prevents me from driving much now. It is in my lumbar spine too. Muscle knots nerve pain. I feel a bit better when I'm back at home. My Cns does get ramped up badly to this day.

Does the same happen to you ?

KarenB

Thank you. I will keep going. And I'll keep reading here. It's great to have somewhere to turn to when one is very low. I have read some of Gia's posts and Beyond Meds. When things were really awful , I would read them and tell myself that in time I would heal from this pain and other symptoms.

tntd

Hi Karen,

Thanks, I'll have to look around BeyondMeds and see if I can find it. It's such a great site I'm sure I'll find way too many interesting things and have way to many tabs open afterwards :)

Hi AR,

I'm sorry to hear it has been so bad for you. I can't imagine having all that pain for so long. 

I'm mostly in the house too but it is due to the anxiety. Just the thought of going outside makes my anxiety skyrocket. I even have to keep my shades drawn to keep the anxiety down. If I'm in a window there is no problem but I still have to be careful of the overstimulation or I end up back where I was.

AR2003

Hi tntd

I am sorry that you are suffering from this anxiety and cannot get out so much. This is a really difficult process.

I hope you will find that you get more windows as time goes on.

Hopefull

Can someone please tell me if you have experienced over stimulation and unsteadyness when bending down.

Last night I experienced weird head feeling and woke up in the morning feeling weird. I felt groggy out of balance and when I bend down, I feel like I am going to pass out, loosing balance.

When I bend down or have to look at something above for longer periods I get this weird head feeling. I have to stop what I am doing because I start to feel weird and out of balance.

Is this over stimulation?

Thank you.

Ibid

Just read this http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/silence-very-important-our-brains, which suggests that substantial periods of silence help the process of brain cell regeneration. So maybe these kinds of sensitivity (to sound especially) are telling us something about what our brains need to recover from WD. If true (and it is based only on animal data), the ability to embrace silence, or to block out noise, has to be one of the benefits of meditation and other methods of separating ourselves from the cacophonies of everyday life.

powerback

does anyone suffer like myself with noise sensitivity,this is cripiling me ,its extremely distressing, it seems  to be connected to my humour ,I get in a horrible mood and snappy  ,its definitely worse since November when I basically had a breakdown but I refused to go on Zyprexa and hospital.

I know the body takes time to heal but this is torture, surely this has poisoned me rather than withdrawal .

I cant even taper the drug so this is not withdrawal in the common sense .

Respect

PB   

Julz82

Hi Powerback,

I'm sorry you're suffering so much with noise sensitivity. I definitely am more sensitive to sounds and constantly have tinnitus. I realise that I get a bit wired when over-stimulated, it is not my most difficult withdrawal symptom but it definitely is a symptom for me. 

I have just bought earplugs, so will try those and see... will let you know!!

Take care of yourself!!

Julz xxx

powerback

Hi Powerback,

I'm sorry you're suffering so much with noise sensitivity. I definitely am more sensitive to sounds and constantly have tinnitus. I realise that I get a bit wired when over-stimulated, it is not my most difficult withdrawal symptom but it definitely is a symptom for me. 

I have just bought earplugs, so will try those and see... will let you know!!

Take care of yourself!!

Julz xxx

Hi julz82 thanks for your reply ,I've done some research today and everything points to fibromyalgia ,my nervous system is shot .

we never give up is the main thing .good luck with the earplugs .

Take care 

DaisyBell

I have light sensitivity and use amber glasses and software that removes blue light on my devices. I also have a really dark room.  I am three years med free.  I still have light /a little noise /motion sensitivities. I can't even go to mediation classes anymore because they moved to a fluorescent lite room at night time.  How long does this typically last? I can't find anyone who has recovered on here.

powerback
15 hours ago, DaisyBell said:

I have light sensitivity and use amber glasses and software that removes blue light on my devices. I also have a really dark room.  I am three years med free.  I still have light /a little noise /motion sensitivities. I can't even go to mediation classes anymore because they moved to a fluorescent lite room at night time.  How long does this typically last? I can't find anyone who has recovered on here.

Hi daisy what a pain for you it's horrible isn't it,if you get relief from symptoms and you enjoy meditation ,wear the glasses doing it ,the world needs to wake up to this suffering ,but I respect and understand it can be a pain constantly explaining ourselves to people.could you do meditation a home 

DaisyBell
On 7/18/2017 at 11:48 PM, powerback said:

Hi daisy what a pain for you it's horrible isn't it,if you get relief from symptoms and you enjoy meditation ,wear the glasses doing it ,the world needs to wake up to this suffering ,but I respect and understand it can be a pain constantly explaining ourselves to people.could you do meditation a home 

Thanks for your warm comments, Powerback.  It's most sad, because, I enjoy meditating with others; it adds a level of extra energy.  In fact I love being with others but WD is coming in the way.

manymoretodays
On 7/18/2017 at 2:24 AM, DaisyBell said:

Mine seems to be off and on......the sensitivity that you describe.  I went for an eye exam and the exam room had the fluorescent s(overhead lighting)........so I mentioned that.  The optometrist just looked at me.  Interesting though as I noted that he had a tic........just an aside.

What software do you use?  I was going to go for glasses that do that........pretty expensive though........maybe a cheaper option?

I don't know........I feel recovered enough most of the time.......almost 3 years out from Lexapro, 2 years out from Adderal salts, and 6 mos. from Trileptal.........and of course......many more.  The overstimulation or overwhelm, like I said.......comes and goes........often related to emotional stuff too.  I can often do just fine for a couple of hours under fluorescent light.........if longer is required I try to go on outside for a few or go to an area with a window with natural light coming in.

Can you find another meditation group?  Without fluorescent lights?  Or talk to someone at your present place about changing that.......using more ambient light?  I love my pm yoga.......just reflected light from the other room.  The energy varies and is sometimes comical.........one person goes down or loses balance and the surrounding people do too.  I think it's a measure of meditation/focus/non focus when I can hold it, the pose, the space, the peace, the balance, etc. among others.  It's a practice after all.......not a perfection.

Anyway thanks.....

Love, peace, recovery/healing, growth,

manymoretodays

DaisyBell
15 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Mine seems to be off and on......the sensitivity that you describe.  I went for an eye exam and the exam room had the fluorescent s(overhead lighting)........so I mentioned that.  The optometrist just looked at me.  Interesting though as I noted that he had a tic........just an aside.

What software do you use?  I was going to go for glasses that do that........pretty expensive though........maybe a cheaper option?

I don't know........I feel recovered enough most of the time.......almost 3 years out from Lexapro, 2 years out from Adderal salts, and 6 mos. from Trileptal.........and of course......many more.  The overstimulation or overwhelm, like I said.......comes and goes........often related to emotional stuff too.  I can often do just fine for a couple of hours under fluorescent light.........if longer is required I try to go on outside for a few or go to an area with a window with natural light coming in.

Can you find another meditation group?  Without fluorescent lights?  Or talk to someone at your present place about changing that.......using more ambient light?  I love my pm yoga.......just reflected light from the other room.  The energy varies and is sometimes comical.........one person goes down or loses balance and the surrounding people do too.  I think it's a measure of meditation/focus/non focus when I can hold it, the pose, the space, the peace, the balance, etc. among others.  It's a practice after all.......not a perfection.

Anyway thanks.....

Love, peace, recovery/healing, growth,

manymoretodays

Hi ManyMore

The software is f.lux. Don't remember the site I got it from but you could do a search for blueblocker software. One I found in a recent search is https://justgetflux.com/.

I'd like to find a class to mediate during the day without the sole light being a bright fluorescent light.  

It's funny how you mention how you seek out natural light. I find when there is a mixed source of light e.g. fluorescent and natural I can handle it much better, but nowhere near an hour.

The effects of overstimulation are DR/DP bad, incredible moments of anxiety and some other weird things occasionally happen when it gets really overwhelming (e.g.a weird pulse from behind neck runs down my body to my private area - where it sits and aggravates uncomfortably (Maybe a form of PSSD); and my brain is like an electric storm I can't think/process anything).  I find if my eyes are moving over items quickly, or if I'm looking up, or the environment is busy, it can trigger things too. I have had to find a supermarket (although more expensive than other bigger ones) that has big window at the front, so that I can handle the fluorescent light.  

I also went to an optometrist.  Well, he pretty much dismissed it (made me feel like a neurotic fool) and said maybe I should look at getting beta blockers to help the anxiety! I laid my first ever complaint against someone for his unprofessionalism.

I strongly believe I have another year to get past much of what distresses me now.  I think when the DP/DR is gone, I will celebrate... then I hope the anxiety and sensitivities go!!!

Recovery would make you long to live life, and somewhat more deeply and meaningfully, after so many years in a crippled brain.  

manymoretodays

Thank you for the link DaisyBell.  That will be helpful.  I have to get regular glasses already and am looking to hopefully avoid another pair of computer glasses due to the cost.

And for sharing your experiences and thoughts as well.

You'll get there.

Best, Love,peace, recovery/healing, and growth,

mmt

Why

Guys in the eye floaters thread i said i would go make an ERG (electroretinography). 

Well i went to the hospital.

just when i started the test looking at the lights on the screen i felt nausea and suddenly fell unconscious at the floor . i woke up seconds later (i think).

basically i had a kind of seizure for the first time in my life.

no doubt it was cused by WD because i already had an ERG years ago and it happened nothing.

UnfoldingSky
On 2017-07-18 at 4:24 AM, DaisyBell said:

Hi Daisy,

I had severe light and noise sensitivities for a long time but they eventually went away.  I also had issues riding in a car, motion issues.  Brain fog would get worse then, I'd also have hard to define sensations, and I had a major issue with perceptual issues.  Basically when I was in a car I could not tell how wide the lane was we were riding in, it would seem more narrow or wide than it really was.  Consequently because of that problem and a few others  I stopped driving.  

UnfoldingSky
2 hours ago, Why said:

Guys in the eye floaters thread i said i would go make an ERG (electroretinography). 

Well i went to the hospital.

just when i started the test looking at the lights on the screen i felt nausea and suddenly fell unconscious at the floor . i woke up seconds later (i think).

basically i had a kind of seizure for the first time in my life.

no doubt it was cused by WD because i already had an ERG years ago and it happened nothing.

On another forum we had a ban against people putting up any moving images with a strobe-like effect as the worry was they might cause seizures.  Definitely if you have severe withdrawal they are hard to handle.  What's involved in the ERG?  Sounds pretty scary what happened...I hope you are okay. 

Kiaza

I'm having a weird symptom. usually in the evening my hearing stops working (well I can hear my own breathing), every sound from Outside stops existing, I can't hear them. With losing my hearing I also kind of drift off from my surroundings (this is not DR, I've had that before). It's like the state you drift to just before you fall to sleep. I find this state quite pleasant since it gives me a break from my over sensitive senses. It can last for up to two hours. I have no control over this state so I think I'm not dissociating. It feels more like my over stimulated body and brain needs time off. I can still read and do other calming activities. It's like when you are a child and you are Playing and everything Else stops existing, except this is more intense. I know it sounds like dissociating but it isn't that. It's weird but I like it. I guess something is trying to repair itself.

manymoretodays

I have some cheap amber sunglasses I decided to try these last couple of days.  Makes a difference.  Kind of calming really and liking the visual change.   Meanwhile waiting on the rest........I am going to do the regular glasses, with the co-pays, etc. with the hope that it will just be a biannual cost as/if my vision changes as I continue to heal.  And........a very good likelihood I can get coverage from the good old state I live in for the computer glasses with the same prescription.  Sooooo........kind of excited.........of course I want it all to happen right now.........never the way it works.

I did get get f lux downloaded anyway........as yet not installed...........I will persist........get some help to do so..........!

Still a bit in it.......the overstimulation, sensitivity..........however, the universe is cooperating and I can go with it.........be a kind of shady character with amber sunglasses.

Best.......just gotta make the best of it,

mmt

Thanks Kiaza........I liked your post and manner of dealing with it.........helped me.  

DaisyBell

has anyone ever tried a supplement that helped with their sensitivities? Like Inositol etc?