SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Overstimulation: Increased sensitivity to light, noise, sound, exercise etc

machawolf

I have light sensitivity and use amber glasses and software that removes blue light on my devices. I also have a really dark room.  I am three years med free.  I still have light /a little noise /motion sensitivities. I can't even go to mediation classes anymore because they moved to a fluorescent lite room at night time.  How long does this typically last? I can't find anyone who has recovered on here.

In Jan 2011 started Lexapro 10 mg after 10 minutes consultation with doctor telling him I felt anxious in confined spaces and had an anxiety attack on plane and underground. Remained on that dosage until Sept 2014. Tapered following a doctor's schedule on 2.5 mg drops every three weeks. Once stopped I developed severe withdrawals. Three weeks of Prozac beginning of Oct 2014 but had adverse reaction and stopped CT. Protracted withdrawals since. Supp now - magnesium, fish oil, turmeric, vit D, melatonin (but recently it's made me depressed), castus vitex capsule with ginger, Withania, Vit E, zinc, Lutein for PMS.

15 hours ago, DaisyBell said:

I have light sensitivity and use amber glasses and software that removes blue light on my devices. I also have a really dark room.  I am three years med free.  I still have light /a little noise /motion sensitivities. I can't even go to mediation classes anymore because they moved to a fluorescent lite room at night time.  How long does this typically last? I can't find anyone who has recovered on here.

Hi daisy what a pain for you it's horrible isn't it,if you get relief from symptoms and you enjoy meditation ,wear the glasses doing it ,the world needs to wake up to this suffering ,but I respect and understand it can be a pain constantly explaining ourselves to people.could you do meditation a home 

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

On 7/18/2017 at 11:48 PM, powerback said:

Hi daisy what a pain for you it's horrible isn't it,if you get relief from symptoms and you enjoy meditation ,wear the glasses doing it ,the world needs to wake up to this suffering ,but I respect and understand it can be a pain constantly explaining ourselves to people.could you do meditation a home 

Thanks for your warm comments, Powerback.  It's most sad, because, I enjoy meditating with others; it adds a level of extra energy.  In fact I love being with others but WD is coming in the way.

In Jan 2011 started Lexapro 10 mg after 10 minutes consultation with doctor telling him I felt anxious in confined spaces and had an anxiety attack on plane and underground. Remained on that dosage until Sept 2014. Tapered following a doctor's schedule on 2.5 mg drops every three weeks. Once stopped I developed severe withdrawals. Three weeks of Prozac beginning of Oct 2014 but had adverse reaction and stopped CT. Protracted withdrawals since. Supp now - magnesium, fish oil, turmeric, vit D, melatonin (but recently it's made me depressed), castus vitex capsule with ginger, Withania, Vit E, zinc, Lutein for PMS.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/18/2017 at 2:24 AM, DaisyBell said:

Mine seems to be off and on......the sensitivity that you describe.  I went for an eye exam and the exam room had the fluorescent s(overhead lighting)........so I mentioned that.  The optometrist just looked at me.  Interesting though as I noted that he had a tic........just an aside.

What software do you use?  I was going to go for glasses that do that........pretty expensive though........maybe a cheaper option?

I don't know........I feel recovered enough most of the time.......almost 3 years out from Lexapro, 2 years out from Adderal salts, and 6 mos. from Trileptal.........and of course......many more.  The overstimulation or overwhelm, like I said.......comes and goes........often related to emotional stuff too.  I can often do just fine for a couple of hours under fluorescent light.........if longer is required I try to go on outside for a few or go to an area with a window with natural light coming in.

Can you find another meditation group?  Without fluorescent lights?  Or talk to someone at your present place about changing that.......using more ambient light?  I love my pm yoga.......just reflected light from the other room.  The energy varies and is sometimes comical.........one person goes down or loses balance and the surrounding people do too.  I think it's a measure of meditation/focus/non focus when I can hold it, the pose, the space, the peace, the balance, etc. among others.  It's a practice after all.......not a perfection.

Anyway thanks.....

Love, peace, recovery/healing, growth,

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

15 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Mine seems to be off and on......the sensitivity that you describe.  I went for an eye exam and the exam room had the fluorescent s(overhead lighting)........so I mentioned that.  The optometrist just looked at me.  Interesting though as I noted that he had a tic........just an aside.

What software do you use?  I was going to go for glasses that do that........pretty expensive though........maybe a cheaper option?

I don't know........I feel recovered enough most of the time.......almost 3 years out from Lexapro, 2 years out from Adderal salts, and 6 mos. from Trileptal.........and of course......many more.  The overstimulation or overwhelm, like I said.......comes and goes........often related to emotional stuff too.  I can often do just fine for a couple of hours under fluorescent light.........if longer is required I try to go on outside for a few or go to an area with a window with natural light coming in.

Can you find another meditation group?  Without fluorescent lights?  Or talk to someone at your present place about changing that.......using more ambient light?  I love my pm yoga.......just reflected light from the other room.  The energy varies and is sometimes comical.........one person goes down or loses balance and the surrounding people do too.  I think it's a measure of meditation/focus/non focus when I can hold it, the pose, the space, the peace, the balance, etc. among others.  It's a practice after all.......not a perfection.

Anyway thanks.....

Love, peace, recovery/healing, growth,

manymoretodays

Hi ManyMore

The software is f.lux. Don't remember the site I got it from but you could do a search for blueblocker software. One I found in a recent search is https://justgetflux.com/.

I'd like to find a class to mediate during the day without the sole light being a bright fluorescent light.  

It's funny how you mention how you seek out natural light. I find when there is a mixed source of light e.g. fluorescent and natural I can handle it much better, but nowhere near an hour.

The effects of overstimulation are DR/DP bad, incredible moments of anxiety and some other weird things occasionally happen when it gets really overwhelming (e.g.a weird pulse from behind neck runs down my body to my private area - where it sits and aggravates uncomfortably (Maybe a form of PSSD); and my brain is like an electric storm I can't think/process anything).  I find if my eyes are moving over items quickly, or if I'm looking up, or the environment is busy, it can trigger things too. I have had to find a supermarket (although more expensive than other bigger ones) that has big window at the front, so that I can handle the fluorescent light.  

I also went to an optometrist.  Well, he pretty much dismissed it (made me feel like a neurotic fool) and said maybe I should look at getting beta blockers to help the anxiety! I laid my first ever complaint against someone for his unprofessionalism.

I strongly believe I have another year to get past much of what distresses me now.  I think when the DP/DR is gone, I will celebrate... then I hope the anxiety and sensitivities go!!!

Recovery would make you long to live life, and somewhat more deeply and meaningfully, after so many years in a crippled brain.  

It comes and goes for me , but as you said it can be Extreme.   A dark quiet room is only way for me too go when this happens.   No other way . 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

When I was in the psych ward lots of us were walking around with headphones on. It is a common problem and the headphones muffles sound. That was years ago before smarphones, maybe you could put some soft music or relaxing sounds on your phone or tablet very low to mask the irritating sounds. I know the feeling. :(

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the link DaisyBell.  That will be helpful.  I have to get regular glasses already and am looking to hopefully avoid another pair of computer glasses due to the cost.

And for sharing your experiences and thoughts as well.

You'll get there.

Best, Love,peace, recovery/healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• ChessieCat changed the title to Overstimulation and increased sensitivity to light, sound etc.

Guys in the eye floaters thread i said i would go make an ERG (electroretinography). 

Well i went to the hospital.

just when i started the test looking at the lights on the screen i felt nausea and suddenly fell unconscious at the floor . i woke up seconds later (i think).

basically i had a kind of seizure for the first time in my life.

no doubt it was cused by WD because i already had an ERG years ago and it happened nothing.

I'm sorry, didn't write a proper diary and my memory is very bad, can't remember exactly all dosages . Here is a short summary

Drugged since i was 11 yo.

Prescribed several SSRI, neuroleptics, mood stabilizers, benzos.Last prescription was lithium, lamotrigine , 20 mg paroxetine, rivotril

Tapered fast lithium and lamotrigine with little to no symptoms 3 years ago.Since then i'm tapering paroxetine and going through withdrawal syndrome. My tapering was not   stable and that's probably the cause of a lot of acute symptoms i had .

Currently at 0.8 mg of paroxetine

Trying now a micro-taper of 0.02 cuts

15/07/2017 tapered to 0.74  (having waves and windows. Cognitive impairment, akathisia, apathy, anxiety, vision problems, depression, paranoia, obsessive toughts, extreme fatigue,  and some more: all comes in waves except vision problems wich are persistent)

08/09/2017 0.72 mg 28/09/2017 0.70 mg

On 2017-07-18 at 4:24 AM, DaisyBell said:

Hi Daisy,

I had severe light and noise sensitivities for a long time but they eventually went away.  I also had issues riding in a car, motion issues.  Brain fog would get worse then, I'd also have hard to define sensations, and I had a major issue with perceptual issues.  Basically when I was in a car I could not tell how wide the lane was we were riding in, it would seem more narrow or wide than it really was.  Consequently because of that problem and a few others  I stopped driving.  

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

2 hours ago, Why said:

Guys in the eye floaters thread i said i would go make an ERG (electroretinography). 

Well i went to the hospital.

just when i started the test looking at the lights on the screen i felt nausea and suddenly fell unconscious at the floor . i woke up seconds later (i think).

basically i had a kind of seizure for the first time in my life.

no doubt it was cused by WD because i already had an ERG years ago and it happened nothing.

On another forum we had a ban against people putting up any moving images with a strobe-like effect as the worry was they might cause seizures.  Definitely if you have severe withdrawal they are hard to handle.  What's involved in the ERG?  Sounds pretty scary what happened...I hope you are okay. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I'm having a weird symptom. usually in the evening my hearing stops working (well I can hear my own breathing), every sound from Outside stops existing, I can't hear them. With losing my hearing I also kind of drift off from my surroundings (this is not DR, I've had that before). It's like the state you drift to just before you fall to sleep. I find this state quite pleasant since it gives me a break from my over sensitive senses. It can last for up to two hours. I have no control over this state so I think I'm not dissociating. It feels more like my over stimulated body and brain needs time off. I can still read and do other calming activities. It's like when you are a child and you are Playing and everything Else stops existing, except this is more intense. I know it sounds like dissociating but it isn't that. It's weird but I like it. I guess something is trying to repair itself.

Citalopram (Sepram): 2005 10mg, 2008 20mg, 2010 30mg, 2011 20mg, tapered 2012 for two months quit in August 2012, restarted Oct 2012 with 10mg, January 2013 20mg, February 2014 40mg, tapered in August 2014, quit in December 2014

Suprium: Oct 2012 50mg, cold turkey after one month, December 2015 50mg, quit March 2016

Xanax: Oct 2015 2mg used it when needed, quit November 2015

Opamox: January 2016 15mg 3x day, tapered in March 2016, quit April 2016

Tenox: 3 weeks in February 2016 cold turkey

Lyrica: One month in Spring 2016 cold turkey

Abilify: 2 weeks in Spring 2016 cold turkey

Mirtazapine: June 2016 - mid April 2017 cold turkey

• Moderator Emeritus

I have some cheap amber sunglasses I decided to try these last couple of days.  Makes a difference.  Kind of calming really and liking the visual change.   Meanwhile waiting on the rest........I am going to do the regular glasses, with the co-pays, etc. with the hope that it will just be a biannual cost as/if my vision changes as I continue to heal.  And........a very good likelihood I can get coverage from the good old state I live in for the computer glasses with the same prescription.  Sooooo........kind of excited.........of course I want it all to happen right now.........never the way it works.

I did get get f lux downloaded anyway........as yet not installed...........I will persist........get some help to do so..........!

Still a bit in it.......the overstimulation, sensitivity..........however, the universe is cooperating and I can go with it.........be a kind of shady character with amber sunglasses.

Best.......just gotta make the best of it,

mmt

Thanks Kiaza........I liked your post and manner of dealing with it.........helped me.  

• 3 months later...

has anyone ever tried a supplement that helped with their sensitivities? Like Inositol etc?

• Moderator Emeritus

This is SA's topic:  inositol

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

Bumping as I wanted to add, for lighting at night when needed I put up small strands of white christmas lights, so I didn't have to deal with brighter lights when light sensitive. 

I have been sensitive to light for at least 3 years now.

Feel like a Gremlin......hate bright light.

Don't even have the light on in the bathroom as its too much, so have the light on outside.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

1 hour ago, Junglechicken said:

I have been sensitive to light for at least 3 years now.

Feel like a Gremlin......hate bright light.

Don't even have the light on in the bathroom as its too much, so have the light on outside.

I felt like a vampire...I was so sensitive that I could see perfectly fine outside at night in areas that had no lighting.  I used to freak out my family I'd be off going for walks in the woods at midnight, I could see so well in the dark back then I was not even afraid being there. 

• 4 months later...

Hey guys. I was on a combination of cocktail for 7 years plus have been on medications for 14. I am 22 now. I understand now all the crazy symptoms I am having are withdrawal, and it should get better with time. One of my most debilitating symptoms is noise sensitivity, which I have had for over 8 months now. It started out very mild right when I was starting to get tingling as well and is unbearable now. EVERYTHING sounds loud to me, and some sounds make me angry. I have always had misophonia (just water dripping bothering me). I went to an audiologist to see if I have hyperacusis, and she insists that my hearing is normal and I don't. She says that it is my limbic symptom that is messed up and I have normal functioning ears. She diagnosed me with misophonia. I also have Tinnitus in both of my ears that has gotten really bad recently. 

However, what I don't understand is why it is like the volume is cranked up. EVERYTHING sounds loud. It is hard to get dressed in the morning because dropping clothes on the ground sounds super loud, moving anything sounds loud. 

I've read all over SA that withdrawal eventually goes away. I'm wondering if this is permanent damage. I've had windows and waves where things are better, but overall in the past 4 months the noise sensitivity has gotten way worse to the point that EVERYTHING sounds loud, so it can't just be misophonia. 

Should I expect this to get better with time? The audiologist insists I have normal hearing. This feels like more than just misophonia and tinnitus with all sounds being so so loud. I'm afraid I'll never be able to work or go back to school. 

*It is hard to list all of the medication changes I have made since I came off and on so many. Coming off Gabapentin that I was on for less than 2 months seems to have damaged me the most and I am currently tapering Latuda and have noticed the noise sensitivity getting MUCH worse.  

Drug History: 

• Put on Zoloft at the age of 8 (2004) for several years (first drug ever took) 
  • On and off cocktails of psychiatric drugs from 2011-2018 (too many to remember, too many changes never stabilizing me) 
  • Around summer of 2017,  tapered off Lexapro, Zyprexa, and Depakote working with doctor (on each medication for few years, never tracked) 
  • Also on and off ADHD medications (Adderall, Ritalin, Strattera) and Klonopin in 2017-2018 
  • July 2017-October 2017 (took Trileptal, 900mg)-October 2017 Suffered tingling in legs, first severe withdrawal symptom 
  • November 2017-January 2018 (took Gabapentin, 900mg) (Gabapentin used for withdrawal of tingling. suffered severe withdrawal from Gabapentin) 
  • February 2018- Took minimum dosage of Horizant (300mg) for 4 days (for withdrawal of tingling, suffered severe side effects and withdrawal) 
  • April 2018-June 2018- Reduced Latuda from 60mg to 40mg working with doctor-still suffering significant withdrawal (noise sensitivity has become extreme since Latuda reduction) 

Drugs Currently Taking:   2008 Lithium 900mg (at night), 2014 Intuniv 1mg in the morning 2mg at night, early 2017 Latuda 60mg, but as of June 2018 tapered to 40mg (20mg in morning, 20mg at night) 

Supplements: May 2018 Magnesium (July 2018 stopped due to facial tingling),

May 2018 -250mg Natural GABA Now Brand (half in morning, half at night), June 2018 fish oil (2 capsules), May 2018 CBD oil CBDistillery 1000mg (5 drops in the morning 5 drops at night)

I remember when in 2012, I was tapering Effexor  XL and Xanax, noise actually hurt my ears. One time I was at Staples and the fire alarm malfunctioned and was going off. It was not good and I could not wait to get out of there. I never successfully stayed off an antidepressant, but I was off the Xanax for 4 years. The noise sensitivity did go away and I believe that yours will to. 

This time around, due to circumstances, I rapidly went from 50 mgs of Prozac to 5 mgs. There was a side trip on Lexapro if you read my signature. I am still on Xanax. I have tinnitus, but no sound sensitivity.

My best to you,

Daisy🌺

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have come off and on many medications in the past year. Wanted to hear about any other experiences with noise sensitivity/how long it persisted. After continuing to taper Latuda after developing a noise sensitivity coming off of Trileptal, Gabapentin, and Horizant, my noise sensitivity is very extreme. I have always had mild misophonia. Now I have extreme misophonia as well as everything sounding loud. 

I've read online about the brain slowly healing and it eventually getting better. I'm currently holding at 40mg of Latuda (antipsychotic) that I wish to come off of, but the noise sensitivity has continued to worsen as I tapered, so I am stumped.

Stories about noise sensitivity during withdrawal/ improvement over time? What drugs were you on? How did you taper?

Thanks! 

Drug History: 

• On and off cocktails of psychiatric drugs from 2011-2018 (too many to remember, too many changes never stabilizing me) 
  • Around summer of 2017,  tapered off Lexapro, Zyprexa, and Depakote working with doctor (on each medication for few years, never tracked) 
  • Also on and off ADHD medications (Adderall, Ritalin, Strattera) and Klonopin in 2017-2018 
  • July 2017-October 2017 (took Trileptal, 900mg)-October 2017 Suffered tingling in legs, first severe withdrawal symptom 
  • November 2017-January 2018 (took Gabapentin, 900mg) (Gabapentin used for withdrawal of tingling. suffered severe withdrawal from Gabapentin) 
  • February 2018- Took minimum dosage of Horizant (300mg) for 4 days (for withdrawal of tingling, suffered severe side effects and withdrawal) 
  • April 2018-June 2018- Reduced Latuda from 60mg to 40mg working with doctor-still suffering significant withdrawal (noise sensitivity has become extreme since Latuda reduction) 

Drugs Currently Taking:   2008 Lithium 900mg (at night), 2014 Intuniv 1mg in the morning 2mg at night, early 2017 Latuda 60mg, but as of June 2018 tapered to 40mg (20mg in morning, 20mg at night) 

May 2018 -250mg Natural GABA Now Brand (half in morning, half at night), June 2018 fish oil (2 capsules), May 2018 CBD oil CBDistillery 1000mg (5 drops in the morning 5 drops at night)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Increased sensitivity to light, noise / sound etc.
  • 1 month later...

Hi, 

i am in the hospital and am very concerned about the increased noise sensitivity. 

One week ago I experienced nausea, vertigo, ear pressure/fullness, and then sound has been amplified making it hard to do anything. Eat, shower, get dressed.  When you look this up on google, you see that it is a scary permanent condition. 

Does this sound like possible withdrawal or more likely a permanent condition? 

Earplugs and noise canceling headphones do not block out the sound. I have super hearing. 

In the hospital for my mood disorder after not being able to take withdrawal anymore so they aren’t concerned about my hearing or how it impact my ability to function. 

Drug History: 

Hi

Im suffering with sensitivity to noise . Trying to relax watching the tv at night is the worst. I hear next doors tv or rather sense it, I sense it as soon as they turn it on. It is driving me mad. I lalways felt that the 2or 3 hrs on my sofa watching tv was my relaxation and now it’s turning into a nightmare. I feel like killing my neighbours but logic is saying that it’s me. I haven’t noticed the sounds for the last 25 years and my partner can’t hear anything, so I presume it is me. This is hard. Windows and waves. More waves than windows.

Steve

Dosulepin 75 mgs per night since 1993.           Dosulepin March 16  2018   75mgs and 50 mgs alternate nights.             Dosulepin. March 30. 2018.  50 mgs per night

Dosulepin. May 2. 2018. 50mgs and 25 mgs alternate nights

Dosulepin. May 27 2018. 50 mgs per night ( increased )

Dosulepin. July 11 2018. 45 mgs per night

Dosulepin. August 13 2018  40 mgs per night

Dosulepin  October 10 2018. 37.5 mgs per night

Dosulepin. October. 24 2018. 35 mgs per night

Dosulepin. December 5 2018. 32.5 mgs per night

Dosulepin.  January 2. 2018  30mgs per night   February 14 2018  29 mgs per night

Dosulepin February 27  28 mgs per night

I absolutely hate slamming doors...…...high pitched screaming is bad too.

For the past 3 years I have had the light off when I'm in the bathroom, only keeping the landing light on.  I cannot have the light on in the bathroom.

Wear shades all the time when I'm outside, even in the overcast UK.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Chicken, are you off all medication now ?

Dosulepin 75 mgs per night since 1993.           Dosulepin March 16  2018   75mgs and 50 mgs alternate nights.             Dosulepin. March 30. 2018.  50 mgs per night

Dosulepin.  January 2. 2018  30mgs per night   February 14 2018  29 mgs per night

On 8/1/2018 at 9:20 AM, Steve61 said:

Hi

Im suffering with sensitivity to noise . Trying to relax watching the tv at night is the worst. I hear next doors tv or rather sense it, I sense it as soon as they turn it on. It is driving me mad. I lalways felt that the 2or 3 hrs on my sofa watching tv was my relaxation and now it’s turning into a nightmare. I feel like killing my neighbours but logic is saying that it’s me. I haven’t noticed the sounds for the last 25 years and my partner can’t hear anything, so I presume it is me. This is hard. Windows and waves. More waves than windows.

Steve

Try noise canceling  ear muffs ,I.wear them constantly in the house ,you could put earphones on under them to watch the tv ,they cancel out most background noise .I got mine for €8 in the builders merchants .I even sleep with mine on .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Thanks for the advice, Powerback. Are you drug free now ?

On 2 August 2018 at 9:45 AM, Steve61 said:

Chicken, are you off all medication now ?

Yes, have been for 4 months.

Major Life Events: 

1 hour ago, Junglechicken said:

Yes, have been for 4 months.

Chicken, has it been worth all the trauma to get to where you are now ?

On 8/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, Steve61 said:

Thanks for the advice, Powerback. Are you drug free now ?

Not drug free ,I've had a nightmare with reducing steve .there's many variables to environment for coming off drugs and some are much more sensitive than others.keep on your own path and do your best not to freak out from reading difficult stories.

Take care

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:08 AM, powerback said:

Try noise canceling  ear muffs ,I.wear them constantly in the house ,you could put earphones on under them to watch the tv ,they cancel out most background noise .I got mine for €8 in the builders merchants .I even sleep with mine on .

Or try earplugs, at least for sleeping. I use cotton/wax ones, I prefer them to foam earplugs, they're superior at blocking out noise for me.

1 hour ago, powerback said:

Not drug free ,I've had a nightmare with reducing steve .there's many variables to environment for coming off drugs and some are much more sensitive than others.keep on your own path and do your best not to freak out from reading difficult stories.

Take care

Oh my God, that's some good advice! Ha ha, the stories are really difficult to read, aren't they.

1 year risperidone, 1 year olanzapine (10 mg). attempted first withdrawal cold turkey, failed. 2 more years olanzapine, switched to abilify which was very disruptive so attempted quitting cold turkey, failed. then 4 years amisulpride at 150 mg and about 3 zoloft at 150 mg. attempted withdrawal from both in 3 weeks, failed. reinstated zoloft and bridged to olanzapine (10 mg), successfully withdrew it over 10 months. tried withdrawing zoloft over 12 months, failed. bridged to prozac, at 40 mg,  now at 12 mg.

8 hours ago, Steve61 said:

Chicken, has it been worth all the trauma to get to where you are now ?

I suppose when I have good days it is.

Major Life Events: 

• 1 month later...

I don't know why, but this week I have started to get more (hyper)sensitivity to sound and all kind of stimulation. I feel like all stimulation, like listening to music or sudden sound, can make my CNS react sending nasty "shivers" or tingling, down my spine and legs, not in a good away. Like I would suddenly be scared of something but it is nothing special, like should be scared, just a small sound that I should not be suddenly scared of and get so nasty reaction in my body. Touch have felt uncomfortable also, like I am more sensitive to everything. I am worried because this is new symptom. Or I had this when i was at my worst during polypharmacy when doctor thought that increasing more meds would solve my problems but it just increased my symptoms because I was sensitive to meds.

It was nasty because during that time I could not watch TV or listen to music. I haven't had as much  problems after I stabilized. I t would be awful to not to be able to listen to music :(

I don't know what triggered this. I haven't tapered a lot recently. I can only think of stress, anxiety or supplement reaction or something. I also have paresthesia feelings all over my legs that seem to be worse.  I had a pretty bad wave before this happened, lot of insomnia and stress.

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2022 july (microtapering) 3,0 mg Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• Altostrata changed the title to Increased sensitivity to light, noise, sound, exercise etc
  • Administrator

merged similar topics

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, hennie86 said:

had a pretty bad wave before this happened

Here's your answer Hennie86 and your system will settle again ,just nurture it for now .

I get you about the music ,ive went months without being able to listen but tonight im having good fun listening to it so be patient it will come and get your playlist ready 👍.

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:29 AM, hennie86 said:

I don't know why, but this week I have started to get more (hyper)sensitivity to sound and all kind of stimulation. I feel like all stimulation, like listening to music or sudden sound, can make my CNS react sending nasty "shivers" or tingling, down my spine and legs, not in a good away. Like I would suddenly be scared of something but it is nothing special, like should be scared, just a small sound that I should not be suddenly scared of and get so nasty reaction in my body. Touch have felt uncomfortable also, like I am more sensitive to everything. I am worried because this is new symptom. Or I had this when i was at my worst during polypharmacy when doctor thought that increasing more meds would solve my problems but it just increased my symptoms because I was sensitive to meds.

It was nasty because during that time I could not watch TV or listen to music. I haven't had as much  problems after I stabilized. I t would be awful to not to be able to listen to music :(

I don't know what triggered this. I haven't tapered a lot recently. I can only think of stress, anxiety or supplement reaction or something. I also have paresthesia feelings all over my legs that seem to be worse.  I had a pretty bad wave before this happened, lot of insomnia and stress.

Well, I’ve had weeks of watching the tv with ear plugs in because I could hear next doors tv through the wall. It was driving me mad. The last 3 nights I haven’t worn the ear plugs and I have been fine. I haven’t noticed next door at all. I don’t know if it is temporary relief  but it gives me a lot of hope because I was beginning to think it wa a permanent problem.

Good luck 

Steve

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy