SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Iodine, anyone?

Trichotomous

Well, I told my doctor I've been off paroxetine for two months and will absolutely never use it again. I have her support and encouragement.

But I'm an a-hole. Seriously. No doubt about it, I am still withdrawing from paroxetine. I get hit with waves of generalized mild anxiety, depression, and irratability. When I get a bit of stress eating at me, I can be atypically short, impatient, and sensitive. Yesterday, my kid told me I was getting angry too easily now, so it's not just in my head. During the (stressful) day, I vascillate between a-hole and nervous wreck. In the evenings, my head usually quiets down and I get to be myself. Around 3:30 am, the nervous wreck persona wakes me up and won't let me go back to sleep.

I looked at SAM-e, but it's ridiculously expensive and has all the side effects and withdrawal issues surrounding the prescription stuff. So I'll pass.

My doctor suggested iodine, which I dismissed as inconsequential, thinking we all get that in our salt. Turns out that isn't the case, anymore. In many Western countries, people are no longer getting enough. There are bigger issues related to iodine deficiency than just depression, so it doesn't seem to attract the research needed to draw up the most forceful of conclusions.

So I picked up the 250 mg Kelp tablets today. Going to give it a try. Anyone else using it?

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

• Administrator

There's a huge amount of research on iodine, in connection with thyroid problems.

Recommending iodine suggests that your doctor thinks your thyroid needs iodine.

However -- and this is very important -- not all thyroids need iodine. It can be destructive in some situations.

To protect your thyroid, you need to have an adequate level of selenium before you take iodine. The two are often taken together.

If I were you, I'd get a blood test for selenium and iodine (plus copper and zinc). You also need a basic thyroid panel.

All of this is pretty tricky and if your doctor simply suggested iodine out of hand, it sounds like she is not up to the more challenging aspects of thyroid treatment.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Right. I meant that what I've read centered around grave Thyroid concerns, including cancer, and that symptomatic depression often seemed mentioned almost as an afterthought, without the details I wanted.

I'll pass on the suggestions for blood work and a thyroid panel. Thank you.

Both times I've taken the kelp tablets, I've been hit with a long-lasting calmness soon after. I notice it because I've NOT been especially calm, Don't know yet if it's my imagination or something else.

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

• Administrator

Could be you need iodine, especially since you live in the Midwest. But it's likely you also need selenium and maybe zinc. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12487769

https://chriskresser.com/iodine-for-hypothyroidism-like-gasoline-on-a-fire/

If you take zinc, most likely you should also take copper, as zinc depletes copper. So it's a good idea to get a baseline of all these nutrients before you start supplementing, because you don't want to take too much of anything.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

My doctor says my thyroid was checked, and was "normal" in my latest draw. I've had blood work done twice a year for some time. They do not normally check the minerals; I have to go in again for that.

I've taken the kelp tablets three days now. Within an hour of taking it, I get hit with a profound sense of calm that lasts quite some time. I don't remember feeling this way ever before. Paroxetine didn't calm me down as much as it sedated me. This isn't like that; I'm not being sedated at all. I'm just not nervous, anxious, or obsessing. Cognition seems intact. I had a few moments of dizziness today. I don't know if that's the iodine or my recent loss of appetite (I can't eat like a pig, anymore; lost 12 pounds in two months after quitting paroxetine).

Before anyone suggests vertigo, I don't think that's it. I got hit with an attack last spring; couldn't even crawl. I just lied on the floor and puked. I've been plagued with it ever since, until my doctor gave me a nasal spray to open my sinuses. Vertigo went away almost immediately. I can whip my head around, lean forward—whatever—I'm not getting dizzy from that, anymore. And I always felt the vertigo originating from my ears or sides of my head. What I felt today seemed to originate from my brain, if that makes sense.

Maybe I need to cut back on the iodine, not take it every day? I do see how my part of the country has very low levels of Selenium in the soil; I can pick up some tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

During the three days I took iodine tablets, I was blessed with a profound sense of calm. I skipped a day, and may mood began to sour into the late afternoon and evening; I became irritable and exhausted. Took iodine the next day, and the lasting sense of calm.

So I don't know what "normal" thyroid levels mean, if anything.

I understand that the iodine and selenium supplements I have are very low doses. I don't imagine my head will explode any time soon, but I want my minerals checked. One would think it standard practice for blood work.

• Administrator

If you're taking selenium, it balances the issue with the iodine. Good to hear it works for you.

I agree, get your minerals checked, at least selenium, copper, and zinc. The iodine test is more elaborate -- a 24-hour urine test. I would use just the others as a guide.

This whole process leaves me questioning the ready use of psychopharmaceuticals. The psychiatrist certainly didn't have my blood drawn and analyzed. And I think he may have misdiagnosed my depression as chronic, rather than situational.

I realize that none of these supplements may work in the long run, that I may be forced to return to prescription medications, but still the process seems inherently flawed and easily corruptible.

• Administrator

Psychiatrists are often very wrong. That's why this site exists.

Iodine may be important to you, your thyroid may need it, just make sure you get the blood tests so you know what you're working with.

• 4 months later...

I continue taking iodine as kelp tablets, along with a number of other supplements. Two things I've noticed most are the calming effect on the central nervous system (which is mild and short-lived at best, compared to antidepressant drugs) and significant curbing of my appetite. I can still get upset; I'm not "drugged" enough to limit my emotional response or range. I cannot eat half of what I did while on paroxetine, and am losing significant weight. I will need new pants for the second time since the summer.

I have not had the blood testing. I'm looking for that to be done shortly (I get two checkups each year), and will adjust supplement intake accordingly.

Check out the stop the thyroid madness website. Anxiety is a side effect of hypo & hyper both! The whole "normal" lab range ~ think of it this way ~ I wear a size 8 shoe. Thats normal for me. However my daughter wears a size 10 shoe & that's normal for her. If we try to wear each other's shoes ~ we won't feel right!!! Doctors want to put us in cookie cutter molds ~ and ignore our symptoms. If you have a naturopath who could muscle test you on the iodine & selenium that would be helpful.

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• 2 years later...

I have generalized anxiety disorder.

I keep it fairly under control with DHEA, magnesium, vitamins B & D. I think.

An excess of iodine is known to cause panic attacks. Why then when I am having one of my cortisol spikes and can't sleep, am burning hot, and can't stop worrying about work does iodine calm me down like two or three beers that last all day?

I am trying to figure this out.

Iodine is something I cannot take often, as it will have me dizzy, confused, and slurring. But if I take it when I am freaked out, I calm waaaaaaay down for a solid day or more.

• 1 year later...

hi, juste to share an information i have found about iodine.

most antidepressant i had took was on fluoride basis ... and when i was a child i took fluoride(against tooth decay)

the recommanded amount of iodine for adult is 150 ug per day. 

fluoride have an antagonist effect on iodine

cf www.dmww.com › upl › library › pfpc-aPDF

History of the Fluoride/Iodine Antagonism - Des Moines Water Works

the pdf summary all studies on the incidence of fluoride on thyroid and iodine.

there is this book in english https://www.amazon.fr/Iodine-Crisis-Lynne-Farrow/dp/098603200X

or here the page about ionized salt that lost half of it content in iodine in 40 days... http://lynnefarrow.net/debunked.html

note that sea salt not ionized does not contain iodine att all. 

there is a good study on carbohydrate and iodine too 

the name is

"Nutrition, evolution and thyroid hormone levels - a link to iodine deficiency disorders?" 2004. very very interesting study.

good reads.

(i am french)

1998 prazépam, citalopram /1999 paroxetine prazepam /2000 paroxétine /2001venafaxine, alprazolam, clomipramine * 2002 (dont remember)/2003 clomipramine, alprazolam /2004 clomipramine /2005 alprazolam /2006(dont remember) * 2007citalopram, alprazolam, prazépam, venlafaxine /2008(dont remember) /2009 venlafaxine /2010 venlafaxine *All precedent withdrawal were very fast. I tried many times to stop but didn't know what happened. *2011 mirtazapine (22,5 mg) , norset , risperdal (cold turkey for risperdal and norset, analysis by doctor say that my body does not support and i was in danger) /2012 mirtazapine / 2013 mirtazapine  *october 2014 mirtazapine (15mg) - putting down slowly.   *when i was good for one month i  down 1ml. (1ml of 100ml of water in which there was 1 pill of 15mg of mirtazapine. At the end i remove 1ml of 50ml of water but with 0,5 pill it does the same concentration.) (i down more like "how i feel, because at the beginning i had a calendar tapping 10% every 15 days and i was really bad, so i decided to see one month and after if i was trust in my body, i remove 10% of the dose at the beginning; and at the end i remove 1ml (when the 10% was lower than 1ml). It was more how i feel. (it is just the last 1 ml that i remove rapidly because i think i was attached mentally and i need to break. and 1ml of 50ml of 15/2mg is just 1ml correspond to 0.15mg. ).  -juillet 2017 stop all. 

nov 2017 tetany and gastritis. I found "euphytose", "spasmine", "phyto-stress" from Govital(the more efficient if crisis because more concentrated)  efficient. If very bad i take valerian extract 1000mg (stop crisis). 

january 2022: I survive. Still having no hunger sensation.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy