SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

• Moderator Emeritus

A compounding pharmacy will be at least as accurate as the manufacturer.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DC112

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a 'possibility that it would be easier to taper of gabapentin after I get off or lower viibryd ?. Gabapentin is causes me serious health issues.

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I was on Pristiq for about 2.5 years and then tapered off in the fall of 13'.

I am currently taking:

-255mg of gabapentin (holding for now)

-10 mg viibryd (holding for now)

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

• Moderator Emeritus

DC112: if you wish, you could stop your viibryd taper at your current dose (or a convenient one like a half-tablet), hold for 4 weeks then start the gabapentin.

What are the health issues you are experiencing from gabapentin?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I haven't started my viibryd taper yet. But I have tapered gabapentin a couple times. One time at ten percent and the other at five percent. I had real issues with tapering. Epsom baths helped at times though, but there were a couple weeks where the baths didn't even get close to helping the withdrawels.

I've already stated this all above but for time purposes...I basically lose my ability to function properly cognitively. Can I somewhat get by most times ? Yes. But it makes me very doppy every day. Also can give me a general feeling of the flu. Very challenging to deal with on a daily basis

Thanks for your response

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I am currently taking:

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know if you can file down vibryd with a nail file? Thanks!

I am currently taking:

Any support on this?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

There are various ways you can get your dose.

From tips-for-tapering-off-viibryd-vilazodone

Cutting up tablets
Viibryd is not timed-release. This and many reports on the Web indicates the tablets can be split. Cut them up with a pill cutter, available at any drug store.

Precisely weighing tablet pieces or crushed tablets with an electronic digital scale
You may wish to precisely measure your dosage with an electronic scale that measures milligrams. These are available for under $30 US.

Have a compounding pharmacy make up capsules of smaller dosages
A compounding pharmacy will accurately weigh small doses and put them into capsules for you. See http://survivinganti..._3001#entry3001

Make your own liquid
Like other non-timed-release drugs, one might make a Viibryd liquid out of tablets and water for more precise titration. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Chessie! I appreciate your input.

I'm not sure which one to start tapering yet really. Maybe a micro taper of gabapentin because it seems to be the med that causes the most issues.? Any recommendations on how to deal with this severe mid day doppy ness that the drug gives me? Cause if I'm doing a micro taper I'm gonna have to deal with this for a while

Thanks!

I am currently taking:

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas or support!? Thanks!

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

What is your symptom pattern? Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

scallywag's Introduction

I do this but I could be better at it. Thank u scaly!

I went from 344mg of gabapentin for to 342 mg. and I feel it. How is this possible with such a small cut? Is something else wrong? Not really sure what to do guys?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

It's hard to know why you're experiencing symptoms after a decrease of less than 1%. Some people are THAT sensitive. 

Keep notes and then post a few days worth either one day at a time as individual posts or all at once.  Be sure to include the time and dose you take of each medication.

scallywag's Introduction

I went back to 344. There's no point to make myself miserable. I have to work and live. I don't know what to do about gabapentin?

I am currently taking:

I'm really worried and in real tough spot. Need help!

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

What are your current symptoms?  Have you been keeping daily notes as suggested by Scallywag?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I have been keeping notes. I had to go back up to 344 from 342. The first day after the drop I felt ok. The second day I felt very depressed and had bad agitation. I take 10mg viibryd. 2.5 of buspar and 255 mg of ganapentin at 11 am. Then I take 2.5 buspar at night.

The second day I got depressed from around 2 to six pm. Then kinda popped out of it.

I decided to go back to 344 because I had to work today and it was too uncomfortable.

I took an Epsom salt bath around noon and that seemed to help for a bit. But then again the mood went real bad around 2. Not sure how I can taper this med if such a small cut gives me this?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

DC - please post your notes from a few recent days here in your introduction thread. We can't read your notes from here. ;)

scallywag's Introduction

All I have posted in in the last thread. Should I post it in my drug history?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

When you say "the last thread" what are you referring to -- earlier posts in this topic (your introduction topic) or elsewhere?

If it's in this topic, the information is from months ago. Please post 3-4 days' worth of notes here in your intro.

If elsewhere, please copy and paste the URL.

scallywag's Introduction

I'm sorry. I'm confused. Did u not get my last post on May 7th saying I went back up to 344? This is where I am posting everything. Under my intro thread.

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

To understand the likely cause of your symptoms, we need to see a DAILY symptoms and medications log. Please read the post at this link:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

scallywag's Introduction

• 4 weeks later...

I see what you mean. Went back to 344 mg. 

I am currently taking:

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that dr Kelly brogan is very knowledgeable about withdrawel. She's says meditation , strict diet, and coffee enemas can me helpful for tapering. Has anyone found it beneficial to do coffee enemas while tapering??

thanks 

I am currently taking:

Anyone had help from coffee enemas?

I am currently taking:

I'm concerned aa to why I'm not fetting any responses? Are my messages not seen now with this new format?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's SA's topic:  liver-cleansing-enemas-fasting-and-other-purification-methods

To find this topic I used google and typed in survivingantidepressants.org coffee enema.

Thank u Chessie for the info! But unfortunately it sounds like coffee enemas aren't that good for most. I'm discouraged because I thought this would help me with tapering. 

Im at a lose right now. I'm unsure how to help myself. Gabapentin gives me severe issues. I moved from 344 mg to 342 and had too severe of withdrawel. I'm unsure what to do. Seems like any attempt I make to help myself is futile

ive been told to taper viibryd first. But viibryd does not cause considerable issues like gabapentin. So that means much time spent on gabapentin

i understand the brakes v accelerant belief. But I'm extremely troubled by the fact that I can't seem to taper gabapentin. 

Is is it possible that if I reduce viibryd that it could be easier on me to reduce gabapentin because I would have less of an accelerant in my system? Is it easier to reduce a brake when there is no accelerant? Very much need help because I am at a lose

thanks!

I am currently taking:

Help on this?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for their input.

• Administrator

Hi, DC. I thought you had moved the gabapentin to the evening? What times of the day do you take your drugs, and at what dosages?

What is your current daily symptom pattern? Which symptoms do you attribute to gabapentin?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I tried to take gabapentin an hour after I take the rest but it really affected me. 

I take all my meds at 11AM . 2.5mg of buspar, 10 mg of vibryd, 255 mg of gabapentin. I take buspar morning and night

9 am to 11am

feel ok. Haven't taken meds at this piont

12-3pm

start to have confusion, drowsiness. Lack of concentration, some queszy agitation etc

3-5

hardest time period. In and out of a state of groggy feelings. At times quit debilitating

5-7

kinda come out of it but still have an agitated mood

7-bedtime

i generally have one more hour through this time that I kinda fall back into it but then I start coming out of it and feeling better

I feel most, if not all these symptoms, are from gabapentin because I noticed them right after I started taking it. Viibryd didn't every seem to effect me much either way when I started. But I also started it when I was in bad withdrawel from pristiq

I am currently taking:

Support on this?

I am currently taking:

Sorry. Not trying to nag! Just looking for what to do next?

I am currently taking:

I'm concerned because I feel I'm having a lapse of communication here. Maybe I am not being clear or some of my messages aren't going through?

I'm unsure how to help myself at this point. 

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

DC, I have asked the other mods to look at the symptom notes you posted as I'm a bit out of my depth here.  We will hopefully be able to get back to you after some discussion.  Sorry you felt forgotten - it can get a bit busy round these parts. 

Talk soon,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Administrator

Not surprisingly, your symptom pattern confirms that you are suffering adverse effects from one or more of the drugs you take in the morning, gabapentin chief among them.

On 8/17/2017 at 1:53 PM, DC112 said:

start to have confusion, drowsiness. Lack of concentration, some queszy agitation etc

3-5

hardest time period. In and out of a state of groggy feelings. At times quit debilitating

There also can be gabapentin-Viibryd and gabapentin-Buspar interactions, as we saw in December 2015:

On 12/16/2015 at 8:48 PM, nz11 said:

Later went  to the audience drug interactions checker

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major buspirone vilazodone

Applies to: BuSpar (buspirone), Viibryd (vilazodone)

Using busPIRone together with vilazodone can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate buspirone gabapentin

Applies to: BuSpar (buspirone), gabapentin

Using busPIRone together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

Moderate buspirone food

Applies to: BuSpar (buspirone)

Patients receiving busPIRone should preferably avoid the consumption of large amounts of grapefruits and grapefruit juice. If this is not possible, the busPIRone dose should be taken at least 2 hours before or 8 hours after grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Large amounts of grapefruit and grapefruit juice may cause increased levels of busPIRone in your body. This can lead to increased adverse effects such as drowsiness.

Moderate gabapentin food

Applies to: gabapentin

Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Moderate vilazodone food

Applies to: Viibryd (vilazodone)

Food significantly increases the absorption of vilazodone. You should take vilazodone with a meal, preferably at the same time each day. Taking it on an empty stomach may lead to inadequate blood levels and reduced effectiveness of the medication.

Why are you taking Buspar in the morning?

It could be you are grossly overmedicated, what do you want to do about that? Whoever prescribed these drugs altogether was not paying attention to interactions.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.