SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

I take buspar in the morn because they directed to take it twice a day

what should I do?

taper off buspar or vibryd I feel??

because tapering off gabapentin has been futile

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I was on Pristiq for about 2.5 years and then tapered off in the fall of 13'.

I am currently taking:

-255mg of gabapentin (holding for now)

-10 mg viibryd (holding for now)

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DC112

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not getting responses when I follow up from your guys questions?

I made a 10% cut two days ago and am having a tough one today. 

Agitated/down mood are the symptoms

I had a compounding pharmacy make the reduction from 2.5 twice daily to 2.25. 

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I am currently taking:

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

gabapentin/lyrica is a hell

i hate this so much!

22/03 - Started taking Lyrica for anxiety/ Pure O (OCD) - 75mg
24/04 - Increase dose - 150mg
20/05 - Ct lyrica.Paranoia, fear and obsessions never experienced before. Feeling of broken mind!
05/26 - back to my dosage (150mg) - Improved a bit
13/06 - I went down to 75mg - Pure hell. Started taking Luvox 50 mg to help with the previous/current state
03/07 - I went down to 50mg - Suffering
01/08 - I went down to 25mg - things improved a little, remaining only the obsessions.
14/08 - Jump
Still suffering with new obsessions/fears/paranoia that are get down VERY SLOW. Thanks God! Will I get better?
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us"
Ephesians 3:20

I made a reduction in buspar. a 10% reduction. I'm in a really tough spot three days out

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DC112, sorry to hear that you are in a rough spot.  It is not clear from your withdrawal history signature, when you made a reduction prior to decreasing three days ago.  Unfortunately, agitation and a lower mood are typical withdrawal symptoms which can happen after a decrease.  They tend to be more intense initially after a decrease and then lessen as time goes by.  When I decrease Effexor, my symptoms tend to ramp up for a week or two after a decrease and then lessen in their intensity.  As well, as I started to get lower on my dose, I found that I could no longer do 10% decreases as the withdrawal symptoms were too intense so I started decreasing by 5% or less and that has helped me significantly and I rarely have to deal with intense symptoms anymore and what symptoms I still experience are much more manageable on a day-to-day basis.

Would you mind editing your withdrawal history signature so that it is easier to understand?  It is impossible for moderators to read through an entire thread to get an idea of what has been going on with you.  It's best if you are able to place more emphasis on your current tapering history so that moderators can see at a glance what they are dealing with.  

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

•    Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
 •    A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
 •    Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
 •    Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
 •    Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.

Edited by baroquep

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

I'm In a real tough spot. 

I haven't tapered from 2.5 yet. This is the first 'real' attempt at tapering buspar. I had made a cut a couple years ago from 5mg morning and night to 2.5morning and night with no withdrawel. I'm wondering if I am sensitive to the way they made the medication in the compounding pharmacy. I'm very sensitive to even generic v brand. I think the best route might be to just to cut or shave from the pill itself? 

I am currently taking:

I was wondering if going to a compound pharmacy and taking that compounded dose can cause issues?. Maybe that was some of the problem?

I am currently taking:

Hmmm. This communication is challenging. I seem to respond to specific questions and then I hear nothing in return. Must be busy on the other end for you guys

Im thinking there is maybe something wrong when I am compounding my drugs with and a pharmacy. 

Is is it better sometimes to just cut right from the buspar tablet with a pill crusher?? wanting to slowly reduce that med first

I think anyway

thanks

I am currently taking:

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody out there???

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

We are a peer support site and some of volunteer to support others while going through our own withdrawal.

Very often if you google surviving antidepressant and the term you are interested in you will see that the question has been answered many times before.

Yes, people report problems and increased symptoms when switching to drugs that have been compounded. Typically those symptoms go away as the brain adjusts.

We advise not decreasing at the same time when started the compounded form because if there is a reaction we can't tell whether increased symptoms are due to the decrease or the new form.

It's up to you and how strong the symptoms are for you whether you will just ride them out or updose, stabilise and try again.

It's also possible that 10% cuts are too much for you. Keep track of your symptoms and you will see how they evolve and will act accordingly.

I hope this answers your question.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 5 weeks later...

thanks bubble!

I went off the compound buspar because it was messing me up too much. I'm having issues with cutting down the buspar amount and weigh in it on he scale. I'm trying to weigh it out to .050 but I'm unsure how accurate it is with it being a tablet. I have been trying to look, but can't seem to find much on people weighing out  buspar. Any thoughts?

I am currently taking:

• 1 month later...

I'm greatly struggling with tapering. I'm seem to be very sensitive to every change that is made. How does one taper if they have severe issues with every change, and the changes they make are so small? How does a person make progress? How does an individual get off three medications, let alone one? If a person has to make cuts at rates much below ten percent and is suffering a lot with every cut...Im unable to understand what I should do and what my future holds with this process..

I am currently taking:

Anyone have possible insight on this?

I am currently taking:

Hi DC112,

I didn't get a chance to read your whole thread but was wondering if you have fully recovered from withdrawing from Pristiq? If your brain is still stabilizing from that quick taper I wonder if that is why it has been difficult to taper even small doses of other medication.  I have experienced this myself where I tried to make a small cut in Klonopin when I was still recovering from a medication switch and had such severe withdrawal reaction, I couldn't proceed.  All of this is super frustrating, especially those of us on multiple medications. 

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

On 23/01/2018 at 7:48 PM, DC112 said:

I'm greatly struggling with tapering. I'm seem to be very sensitive to every change that is made. How does one taper if they have severe issues with every change, and the changes they make are so small? How does a person make progress? How does an individual get off three medications, let alone one? If a person has to make cuts at rates much below ten percent and is suffering a lot with every cut...Im unable to understand what I should do and what my future holds with this process..

1 hour ago, DC112 said:

Anyone have possible insight on this?

Hi DC,  I'm asking myself similar questions...it is so difficult.  I'm sorry you are going through this mess.  I am currently on three medications, two of which I have significantly tapered.  However, my 'tapering' was not textbook...I only discovered SA about six weeks ago. I am suffering as well and I am never without symptoms...the following is from my thread...it explains how I try and deal with this and try to hold onto hope...

On 31/12/2017 at 11:47 AM, Kristine said:

Over the years I have learnt some major lessons.  I used to fight this process which only made me more exhausted and angry.  I would say very mean things to myself.. eg "you are a failure", "you are weak" "everyone would be better off without you".  I started to focus on changes, not so much the symptoms...if something changes, either mentally or physically, positive or negative, I see this as my body, mind and soul healing. Healing is painful.  This slowly lead to acceptance.  Accepting that this process will take a undetermined amount of time;  that I am broken but I am worthy and strong; I still have so much to offer and the future is only ever a second away.  It will be, what it will be.  This is what gives me hope 😊 K

I hope this is a little helpful DC...I wish I had the answers to your questions...please take care. Lovely to meet you. K 🌻

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

Hi wantrelief,

I appriciate your input. I've been off of pristiq for 4 years now but iT definitely really messed me up. But I was under the impression that one could still slowly taper other meds even if they weren't 'completely' recovered from a previous withdrawel?

Hi Kristin,

Its nice to meet you as well. Thank you for your time. I think what you had to say is very true. There does need to be acceptance. It feels dishearting for me to not be able to make any reductions. It's very concerning. I'm thinking of going to yoga regularly and meditating more. Your message meant a lot to me Kristine.. Thank you!

DC

I am currently taking:

Does anyone know how one would know if they can't taper because they are still recovering from withdrawel? It's been about 4 years since I got off pristiq which started withdrawel. I feel I def have recovered a lot from that. I feel most of my issues now are the side effects from my remaining meds. 

Thanks

I am currently taking:

• Administrator

DC, what is your current symptom pattern? We always need to know that before being able to answer any questions about tapering.

It's good you feel your Pristiq withdrawal symptoms have resolved. If you are having side effects from the drugs you are taking now, we would support you in tapering them.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto- thank you for responding! I posted my symptom pattern some months back. But I'll briefly do it again

morning 9:00 to 11:00 am

(Feel drowsy and mildly depressant, but then I have water, coffee, and a good breakfast and I feel better

mid day 11:00 am to 2:00

(Take my meds at 11. Slowly start to feel over drugged with bad mental fog. Very hard to concentrate.)

afternoon 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.

(Go in and out feeling unwell and very foggy, days range in severity on this

evening/night. 6:00 pm to 11 pm

( I slowly start coming out of the bad feelings/ fog / no motivation. Etc. have. Little issues again around 9 pm. But then I feel ok after)

Alto - my earlier posts have stated this but ill state it again, I've tried very tiny reductions with horrible outcomes. Any shift in a dosage, even tiny, severely screws me up. Can't individuals still taper even if they are in withdrawel?

I def am still in withdrawel from pristiq but have improved in many ways. 

I am currently taking:

Support on this. Thanks!

I am currently taking:

• Administrator

I think we agree that you are overdrugged. 

There are only a few routes you can take: Reduce, quit, stay the same, or add other drugs.

Quit didn't work, you'll have to choose something else. If you wish to reduce, you'll need to pick a drug to reduce. If you can't taper Buspar or Viibryd, how about tapering gabapentin?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Alto-

Quit didn't work?? I don't understand

Im unable to taper gabapentin. Any reduction is severely intolerable. 

Im in a really tough spot and feel very hopeless. 

I am currently taking:

• 3 weeks later...

This communication is challenging  as I don't hear back from a mod at times. That being said I am thankful for the support. I have been doing yoga the last month and that has been really good for me. 

I'm not sure what to do at this point in regards to my meds? 

Dan

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/02/2018 at 4:32 PM, Altostrata said:

If you wish to reduce, you'll need to pick a drug to reduce.

You could make a very small reduction.

You might find these topics helpful:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Rhi's "Start Small, Listen to Your Body" Taper Plan

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

What is the point if I can't taper more than 1 percent a month?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/02/2018 at 4:32 PM, Altostrata said:

I think we agree that you are overdrugged

There are only a few routes you can take: Reduce, quit, stay the same, or add other drugs.

Quit didn't work, you'll have to choose something else. If you wish to reduce, you'll need to pick a drug to reduce. If you can't taper Buspar or Viibryd, how about tapering gabapentin?

50 minutes ago, DC112 said:

What is the point if I can't taper more than 1 percent a month?

Well my thought is that any reduction is better than none.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks for getting back to me

I guess what I mean is, if I'm making such small decreases and feeling more withdrawel than I already am for years, is there a point of tapering? Is there a benefit from lowering the dose by such a small amount over time? Would I feel any better on say .300 as apposed to .342? Feeling pretty hopeless about this. 

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you keep a daily diary of when you take your drugs and when the symptoms appear.

I don't know how up to date your signature is so I'm not sure of your current doses of buspar.

Below is one very good reason for lowering your drug dose/s.  I have experienced mild serotonin toxicity and as my dose got lower the toxicity lessened.

The symptoms you are experiencing may be from serotonin toxicity and not withdrawal symptoms.

Interactions between your drugs

Major

buspirone  vilazodone

Applies to: BuSpar (buspirone), Viibryd (vilazodone)

Using busPIRone together with vilazodone can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, feverexcessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nauseavomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Hmm. Thanks for that info. Kinda interesting about the serotonin toxicity. This is a post of mine from last month. I'm still on 2.5 of buspar morning and night. 

Alto- thank you for responding! I posted my symptom pattern some months back. But I'll briefly do it again

morning 9:00 to 11:00 am

(Feel drowsy and mildly depressant, but then I have water, coffee, and a good breakfast and I feel better

mid day 11:00 am to 2:00

(Take my meds at 11. Slowly start to feel over drugged with bad mental fog. Very hard to concentrate.)

afternoon 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.

(Go in and out feeling unwell and very foggy, days range in severity on this

evening/night. 6:00 pm to 11 pm

( I slowly start coming out of the bad feelings/ fog / no motivation. Etc. have. Little issues again around 9 pm. But then I feel ok after)

Alto - my earlier posts have stated this but ill state it again, I've tried very tiny reductions with horrible outcomes. Any shift in a dosage, even tiny, severely screws me up. Can't individuals still taper even if they are in withdrawel?

I am currently taking:

• Administrator

Which meds do you take when, and at what dosages?

3 hours ago, DC112 said:

How have you improved? What symptoms are most prominent now?

viibryd 10 mg at 11 am

gabapentin 255 mg at 11 am

buspar 2.5 mg at 11 am

buspar 2.5 mg before bed. 

My physical symptoms from right after stopping pristiq such as: headaches, tmj, panic attacks, severe tightening of throat..etc.(almost too many symptoms to remember and count). All these have improved greatly or are gone.(although in still having breathing issues at times. 

The symptoms that I have that are prominent now are, what I feel, from the meds I am currently on. drowsiness, severe brain fog, crawling in my sling type feeling, mood swings, cognitive issues, feeling like my thoughts and mind fall off a cliff(or something like that). I feel about three hours after taking meds that my personality(my ability to be funny and witty is gone) feel extremely flat and depressed. Among other things that can come up that I'm not remembering at the moment

I am currently taking:

• 2 weeks later...

Moving forward? Could it be serotonin toxicity? 

I am currently taking:

I reduced my gabapentin from .342 to .341 and am having symptoms. How is this even possible? Is there no way to taper these in my lifetime? I'm 30 years old. 

I am currently taking:

Is there a reason why I am not getting any support?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

What are your symptoms in response to this cut?  Could it be a reverse placebo effect?  How do you feel about making cuts?  Confident or anxious?I'm curious how you are measuring your gabapentin?  Are you weighing dry on a milligram scale?  I have found with my scale that the 1 mg space on the scale is very unreliable.  I am weighing out 0.015 with the 10 g weight on the scale, so in other words, 10.015 g and my scale will jump around when I weigh the 10 g weight first; I have to tare and reweigh several times (sometimes having to recalibrate, too) to get it to settle at 10.000 g, and then weigh my Effexor beads, but the weight will jump around and so I reweigh a few times before I settle on the weight being 10.016 g.  It takes forever to weigh one dose.  I have found that if I don't use the 10 g weight, the scale will always say 0.000 but give me three different results when I reweigh the same beads three times!  I also weigh a week's worth at a time so that they are the same relative to each other. 

What I'm trying to get to is that maybe your small change of dosage isn't as small as you think if your scale is doing what mine does!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• 2 weeks later...

I don't feel good about cutting cause I never have good responses. The symptoms are always the same. Crawling in skin and horrendous mood. 

I weigh it out with a Gemini scale. Gabapentin is white powder so I weigh it on a tray. I weigh the tray out to 2.626 every time and then tare it. So I should be getting the same reading. I've been doing it this way for over a year now on this same mg. 

Wondering if my signature is showing properly? 

I am currently taking: