RickyIsHealing: mirtazapine withdrawal

RickyIsHealing

yes very true JSF , ill never go to dr.s for anything to do with my brain again , worse decision i ever made was taking those tablets , just don't understand how i feel ok 1 day and the other end the next day its mad ! 

i pray for us both too 

Unsure of dates to be honest 
but i was on 15mg mirtazapine for 4 weeks.
then went onto 30mg mirtazapine  for 3 days.
i stopped taking altogether for 3 days after the 3 days of 30mg.
read to go back on 15mg mirtazapine for 7 days to stabilize.
then onto 7.5mg mirtazapine for 7 days.
then onto 3.5mg mirtazapine for 7 days. 

been of since 12/11/2020.

My guess is that these drugs messed up brains ability to regulate serotonin biosynthesis, which means the brain cannot achieve the steady state daily levels. So some days serotonin levels approach normal levels and you feel OK ish and other days the levels are lower and u feel worst. Just a rough guess, I haven’t seen any scientific articles to support this claim. I am really sick right now and can’t even look up the scientific literature (smg I used to do in an every day basis since I was working as a neuroscientist, but that was before Zoloft).

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

yeah i understand and that does make sense to be honest . im guessing by when they say we are "healed" is when our serotonin reaches a level balance? 

i just feel like i will be stuck this way for the rest of my life , and as it stands this isn't  a life , I'm just existing currently.

fed up of feeling fed up and fighting this horrible feeling every day , i dont even want to get up anymore because i know i have to feel like this again until i sleep. 

urghhhh

Yes, I wait all day long till time to sleep in order to get some relief. Our brain is trying to re learn to restore and recycle serotonin..... the receptors clearing serotonin  from the synaptic cleft are the receptors blocked by SSRIs... my scientific guess is that their affinity (ability to bind serotonin) has been altered. How long to get back to normal I don’t know. Taking however that there is no structural brain damage (I had a CT scan, did u?) there is a reason to hope we will heal. I mean people even heal from strokes where there is actually local brain abnormality detected by CT, and still the brain can slowly heal. What might make things harder in AD WD is that we are not talking about a local brain effect but a whole brain effect...., I wish I could make pharmaceutical companies pay for it but I spoke to a lawyer and he told me there is no chance I d win a case, especially for side effects that are not visual , you cannot see depersonalization or inner terror and soul dread to a person... the person is just suffering in silence....

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

ohh so basically , its like ... my brain has made some serotonin naturally. And my receptors have bound to it and made me feel ok for a while ..but then. The thing that makes the serotonin stay around the receptors hasn't been repaired yet so my serotonin has just disappeared until my brain creates some more again ? 

sorry if that's hard to understand ..

and would lack of serotonin make me feel anxious / angry / nervous as well as down and sad ?  

sorry to ask you i just don't know a lot of info about this all 

god bless 

I ll try to draw a picture and send u when I feel a bit better. Don’t apologize , I know it’s not easy for someone without neuroscience background to visualize what I am trying to explain about serotonin biosynthesis and recycling. 
your brain is definitely producing serotonin but this has to be recycled and reproduced and stay outside the neuronal body for a specific time and then come inside the neuron again ... I don’t think it’s a matter of how much serotonin is produced but how well this in and out process is regulated. 
And Yes absolutely, all these feelings can be caused by deregulation of serotonin biosynthesis and reuptake.
when I feel horrible I talk to my brain serotonin reuptake receptors ... “Come on serotonin reuptake receptors do your job, so I can feel human again, come on, u were doing an excellent job just before Zoloft, u can do it again”....
God bless 

Symptoms while on zoloft

feeling really low and disconnected today , almost like im not even myself i feel like someone else 

pfttt give me a break :( 

• 3 weeks later...

well hello again guys im back , back as in feeling horrible as well , my last window lasted around ten days and now the on that has just gone lasted around ten also , seems like a pattern :( am i still going get get better ? 

hope everyone is better 

hello guys hope everyone is getting better 

i was watching a movie with my partner 2 nights ago and i had a random small panic attack , my heart rate went up really fast and had a strong heart beat due to panic ,i had to go and have 5 mins to myself to calm down , well , it took me all night to calm down tbh .. could that be why i feel low and anxious again? im maybe thinking the attacks has set of my nervous system again or something like that ? 

• Administrator

Hello, Ricky. That sounds like a surge from your nervous system, which is still finding its balance from your going off mirtazapine.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata thankyou so much , i just came out of my 2nd 10 day window so im hoping another one will come very soon.

hello guy's hope all is as well as can be !

has anyone ever experienced this ?

I'm afraid of heights , and i currently have the feeling all the time of when I'm looking of a high building , my body feels TENSE and TIGHT and i have like nervous anxiety feeling constant , and feel like I need to get away from something but there is nothing to run from.

feel so lost and confused and not like me.

( currently in a wave i think ) i have to admit ,  but don't want to jinx it...  i don't feel like this wave is as deep as my other waves but it is still very strong and very unpleasant and very strong in a hopeless feeling ..

can anyone relate ? 

hope to hear back soon with some support and encouragement

god bless all  

Hey Ricky, 

Im not afraid of heights but I am getting the same type of feeling that you are getting.  It’s nasty isn’t it?

I try to follow the Dare Approach which is basically accepting the anxiety and inviting it in.  It works sometimes but if I’m too bad it just overtakes me.

But yeah, not a pleasant feeling.

Med History - 2014 - 2020 - Zoloft, Effexor, Klonopin, Lexapro, Buspar (No longer on any of these)

Went to my doctor for an annual and mentioned I was stressed, gave me Zoloft, stopped it after 3 months because it didn't do anything, ended up in withdrawal and was told I had a mental illness.  I've been diagnosed Bipolar and Clinically Depressed.  

Current Med Taper 

Lamotrigine - 25mg(May 21')->24mg(May 23')->23mg(July 23')->22mg(Aug 23')->21mg(Oct 23')->20mg(Dec 23')-->19mg(5/24)-->18mg(6/24)->17mg(7/24)->16mg(8/24)->15mg(9/24)

Supplement: Magnesium, Fish Oil

55 minutes ago, RickyIsHealing said:

hello guy's hope all is as well as can be !

has anyone ever experienced this ?

I'm afraid of heights , and i currently have the feeling all the time of when I'm looking of a high building , my body feels TENSE and TIGHT and i have like nervous anxiety feeling constant , and feel like I need to get away from something but there is nothing to run from.

feel so lost and confused and not like me.

( currently in a wave i think ) i have to admit ,  but don't want to jinx it...  i don't feel like this wave is as deep as my other waves but it is still very strong and very unpleasant and very strong in a hopeless feeling ..

can anyone relate ? 

hope to hear back soon with some support and encouragement

god bless all  

I can relate!! I have been claustrophobic since I remember myself (was Not triggered by Zoloft). I would never go in small closed places, for example I d prefer to go up 10 floors  by stairs rather than using an elevator.

These three months OFF Zoloft I have this inside my soul feeling that resembles that claustrophobia feeling that I would get when I was forced in closed places (e.g. airplanes). I get it almost every day, without a trigger, other days is unbearable and others more manageable.

here is what I think it’s happening: our brains are -for whatever reason - predisposed to a specific fear (heights for u, closed spaces for me). When the trigger is there (height or close space) we go into anxiety/panic attack. 
But why do we now go into this anxiety fear panic-like feeling without a trigger ? I think because our serotonergic system is out of balance during withdrawal one of the symptom is to feel general anxiety due to disruption of serotonin biosynthesis and recycling. While for other individuals it would just be general anxiety, for you and me our brains have in the past linked anxiety and fear with heights and closed spaces. Thus, withdrawl related anxiety retrieves memories of heights and closed spaces anxiety and we feel constantly like that even in the absence of the anxiety panic stimuli. Not sure if I can find a better way to explain my opinion on this and there are no scientific sources supporting this explanation, it is purely based on my experience.

Things that have helped me a bit to deal with this

1. keep saying “ oufff what a relief I am not in a closed spaced (in your case I am not on a any height)

2. Asking myself ok , I feel horrific but what’s the worst that can happen? These are just feelings 

3. I ll get a window soon and realize how this fear is just my brain’s misinterpretation 

4. EMDR (looked it up in YouTube)

5. Xanax !!! Attention I DO NOT take it, I just have it in my drawer next to me and tell to my brain, “look if u go over the top with this unreasonable anxiety/fear I have the tool to make u shut up! So don’t push ur lack” The idea that there is smg that gives me the power to feel better , makes me feel better. It is Xanax psychological dependence but doesn’t really hurt u, as long as you only use it as a kind of placebo-thought.and u DO NOT actually take it. During this whole 3&1/2 months OFF absolutely hell I have only taken it twice just .125 mg and I don’t think I ll take it again but I need to have it available. I believe when WD is over I ll not even need it psychologically. 

5. Valerian root. It is a kind of natural benzo but not as addictive or harmful for most people although some people report side effects. I have taken it for a few weeks On and Off, not every day, while I was taking Zoloft and helped with the anxiety. I also didn’t feel any dependence or side effects when stopping it. If u decide to try it make sure u start at a much lower dose than the bottle says, and don’t take every day.

Hope this helps a bit my friend . We don’t deserve this suffering and I am praying it will be over soon

Symptoms while on zoloft

JSF , 

. i will try some of these techniques you have told me about but i wont take anything , I'm not taking anything ever again that can even alter my brain in the slightest , witch i know you wont blame me for as we are paddling in the same boat here across this stormy sea until we come across land! 

i do use the "its only feelings and i cant die" approach quite a lot 

but how much can 1 fight for with out getting tired :( 

i always keep in my head that a window may be just round the corner and i may have a break from this feeling for a while.

never wished a hoped so much in my life !

hope you have a good sleep tonight i shall prey for us both jsf ! 

godbless  

I am in the same kind of suffering as u and in top I have DPDR. I wasn’t suggesting u take Xanax I hope that was clear. Hoping u ll get nice sleep as well.

Symptoms while on zoloft

hell all , still feeling rather south today ! 

praying and hoping for a window to hit me soon , a nice 12 month window would be great if I'm honest lol , if only ..

current symptoms 

. depressive mood
.STRONG pointless nerves and anxiety ( over everything , like even eating or having a shower )
.hopelessness 
.fear and dread of the future 

has anyone ever heard of Vipassana brain damage 

i have read about this somewhere and i am now scared to death that i am permantly damaged , please convince me otherwise !

god bless all !! 

AND .. does anyone have any tips about going/returning to work as i am petrified about how anxious i will feel there :( 

1 hour ago, RickyIsHealing said:

hell all , still feeling rather south today ! 

praying and hoping for a window to hit me soon , a nice 12 month window would be great if I'm honest lol , if only ..

current symptoms 

. depressive mood
.STRONG pointless nerves and anxiety ( over everything , like even eating or having a shower )
.hopelessness 
.fear and dread of the future 

has anyone ever heard of Vipassana brain damage 

i have read about this somewhere and i am now scared to death that i am permantly damaged , please convince me otherwise !

god bless all !! 

You are not permanently damaged , a brain CT scan might help u convince urself. When I had mine and it was normal, I said whatever it is it is reversible since there is no structural brain damage or neurodegeneration like it happens in people with Parkinson’s disease.

when did u day was your last window and how long did it last? What precedent of normality would u say u feel when in a window?

Symptoms while on zoloft

i hope that's the case !

and my last window was around 3 4 days ago and it lasted around 8-10 days if i recall ..i felt around 60 70 percent back to myself if im honest..i thought maybe that i was not going to have another bad wave like this .but here we are :(

That window was a proof that ur brain can regain its normal function and there is no permanent damage... if there was a permanent damage u d get zero windows.

Has today been as bad as yesterday?

Symptoms while on zoloft

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone help , i had a cigarette before bed last night and i don't know fi that i what triggered it as i had one when i woke up this morning and it was ok .

but last night i had a sudden onslaught of vertigo my partner thinks ? ..i like lost my balance and everything was spinning , i had to go to sleep , it was like i was drunk ? 

i still feel it a little bit today also , first time I've experienced  it , i wonder why ? 

can anyone help?

Here are two possible explanations 

1. there is a link between smoking and dizziness. Smoking activates nicotinic receptors, among them nicotinic receptor ten which is abundant in inner ear instead and not in the brain. The inner ear is important for balance.
some individuals have a specific genetic polymorphism in these nicotinic receptors 10 which makes the receptors let’s say more sensitive to smoke . Those individuals tend to get dizzy when the smoke. 
In your case it could be that u either have this polymorphism (in which case u would have experienced vertigo or dizziness in the past while smoking)

or  

2. while the primary target of mitrazapine is serotonergic and non-adrenergic receptors, recent studies demonstrate that it also targets nicotinic receptors in the brain  (not the receptor 10 in the inner ear ) via an unknown mechanism. Given the fact ur in WD from mitrazapine, your brain nicotinic receptors are sensitized and “overreact” to further trigger such as smoke (nicotine)

I would avoid smoking if u can 

Symptoms while on zoloft

my mood , anxiety and nerves are so up and down ATM ? could this still be withdrawal ? or symptoms of withdrawal? 

• 3 weeks later...

hello all , i dont know if anyone can help ? i recently had a abscess and i have been taking quite a few pain killers and ibuprofen the last 3 days , as well as some amoxicillin the dentist prescribed me ..

and the last 2 days i have felt so low to the point i just don't want to get out of bed , my mood has dropped soooo low its scary 

could there be something here or is it maybe just another bout of darkness ? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Having an abscess puts stress on the body because it goes into action trying to fight the infection.  Some members find that taking an antibiotic can cause their symptoms to worsen for a while.

But after writing the above it makes me wonder if it is the reason for taking the antibiotic that causes the worsening and not the antibiotic.  Because obviously there is a reason that someone takes an antibiotic.  It may be both.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

hey all !

been off meds now since nov 12 ..is it still right that I'm experiencing  windows and waves , nearly 5 months on?

• Moderator Emeritus

Please put an approximate day so that we have some sort of timeline.  Thank you.

Yes, it is fairly "normal" to be experiencing symptom fluctuations.  It is not about getting rid of the drug from the body.  The brain adapts to the drug and then has to undo those changes to regain homeostasis.

how-psychiatric-drugs-remodel-your-brain

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management