What helps, what doesn't? Managing supplements, herbs, vitamins, amino acids, etc.

Shanti

PSA / Warning from Rosetta, also true of supplements!

On 9/21/2023 at 3:15 PM, Rosetta said:

Another PSA about the possibility of derailing one’s healing:

No amount of alcohol is a safe amount after quitting, a dose reduction, or during any taper of ADs or other psycho-active drugs.  One would think that one glass of wine would be fine.  No, it’s definitely not.  

Taking any other AD or psych drug is a very, very bad idea.

Sometimes I find it pretty irritating that no one warned me that using ADs would result in so many things being off limits. You may also have negative consequences from the adrenaline based numbing agents at the dentist’s office.  There is a non-adrenaline based agent that can be used, and I recommend that you insist on it based on my unfortunate experience.  I can’t even have a routine colonoscopy because of the sedatives.

Steroids, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety drugs, muscle relaxers, various antibiotics (an injury called floxxing can occur from certain antibiotics), and acne medications are also sometimes/often dangerous for people coming off of ADs.  A new trend is to make drugs that serve dual purposes such as a painkiller that includes an AD in the pill.  Prescribing ADs for pain without telling the patient that the pill is an AD is something that has been happening for years, as well.  Of course, MJ and any street drugs are quite dangerous.  

Essentially, if you are thinking of taking anything, check to see what other people have experienced by typing survivingantidepressants and then the name of the drug into any search engine.  At least it used to be that that would work better than using the search engine included in the site.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy