StDymphna: Sudden adverse reaction to Lexapro 20mg after 3 years.

It's just amazing how such a tiny dose can give such potent side effects. Does this mean it is possible that a dose this small could also relieve some withdrawal symptoms?

2021: Lexapro 20mg for anxiety.

March 2024: Started probiotic. Few days later, adverse reaction to Lexapro. Stopped probiotic.

15mg for two weeks. Adverse reaction each dose.

April 2024: Began Zoloft 25mg & Lexapro 10mg. 3 days of both of these taken at night with horrible reactions.

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

Stopped Zoloft and stayed on Lexapro 10mg for 3 days.

Began Zoloft 25mg again, took in the morning. Lexapro 10mg night. Adverse reaction with each drug. 3 days of this and then I stopped Zoloft.

Continued Lexapro 10mg alone for a few days.

Kindled reaction to Hydroxyzine? After I had taken it for a week, and on the third day I had taken both Zoloft and Lexapro.

Stopped Lexapro April 5th, 2024.

Histamine intolerance began? July 3rd, 2024.

6 hours ago, StDymphna said:

It's just amazing how such a tiny dose can give such potent side effects. Does this mean it is possible that a dose this small could also relieve some withdrawal symptoms?

My PSSD (Post SSRI sexual dysfunction) went from mild to strong hours after taking around 1 mg of Escitalopram (haven't taken since). Two months have passed and my symptoms remain. So yeah Escitalopram is a strong drug.

Sertraline 2020 50 mg

Escitalopram 2021-2022 10mg

Escitalopram January 2023 25% reduction each week

February 2023 stop taking Escitalopram, without issues.

May 2023 Escitalopram 2 weeks varying doses from 2.5mg to 10mg, then stopped again. October 2023 took 2.5mg for one week. Didn't have issues when stopping.

Nightmare:

January 7 2024 took around 2 mg. Started with mild PSSD.

February 4 to February 8 took varying doses from 1mg to 5mg

March 3, 5mg at night. March 4, 5 mg in the morning. Started with moderate PSSD.

March 22 2.5mg, March 23 1.3mg, March 24 0.7 mg, March 25 0.2 mg, March 26 around 1 mg. Ended up with strong PSSD.

18 minutes ago, UnderstandingtheBrain said:

My PSSD (Post SSRI sexual dysfunction) went from mild to strong hours after taking around 1 mg of Escitalopram (haven't taken since). Two months have passed and my symptoms remain. So yeah Escitalopram is a strong drug.

absolutely wild...I have been having PSSD since my adverse reactions began a couple months ago as well. little glimmers here and there, but I know things aren't right with my body

honestly idk if I will continue with the reinstatement. I have had dilated pupils all day and feel the same as when I was on the Lexapro previously. I stopped taking Lexapro because of these similar reactions I started having out of the blue and now I am having them again on a small dose. No way I can drive safely like this either..

March 2024: Started probiotic. Few days later, adverse reaction to Lexapro. Stopped probiotic.

April 2024: Began Zoloft 25mg & Lexapro 10mg. 3 days of both of these taken at night with horrible reactions.

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

Began Zoloft 25mg again, took in the morning. Lexapro 10mg night. Adverse reaction with each drug. 3 days of this and then I stopped Zoloft.

Kindled reaction to Hydroxyzine? After I had taken it for a week, and on the third day I had taken both Zoloft and Lexapro.

How are you doing @StDymphna? Any changes? Are you still at 0.2mg?

Supplements: Vit D3, Fish oil, Magnesium bisglycenate 200mg (when needed), Melatonin 1.25mg (when needed), Camomile tea (1 cup before bed), THC oil (0.03ml once a week, don't do this to yourself), Vit C 500mg a day
Started effexor in 2011.

Stopped effexor in 2012 (fast tamper).

Got back on effexor in 2012.

Tried stopping effexor again in 2014 (I'm not sure?), fast tamper again.

Started effexor again in 2014.

Switched to Escitalopram in 2016 I believe

Stopped Escitalopram 10mg cold turkey on January 3 2024.

Reinstated Escitalopram 5mg on april 2 2024.

Down to 1mg on april 3 2024, 1.25mg on april 11 2024

Hi, I am ok... I backed out of reinstatement, I only did it two days.

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

I see!

I'm proud of you for trying despite all the trauma it caused you before. It takes courage.

I believe you did the right thing by trying at a super low dose.

Now, what is done is done. The only way is forward. You don't have to look back.

Focus on healing. Lexapro is the past.

It might get worse before it get better, but it will get better.

Take care, and we are still here for you

Supplements: Vit D3, Fish oil, Magnesium bisglycenate 200mg (when needed), Melatonin 1.25mg (when needed), Camomile tea (1 cup before bed), THC oil (0.03ml once a week, don't do this to yourself), Vit C 500mg a day
Started effexor in 2011.

Thank you so much for your kind words

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

On 5/22/2024 at 7:45 PM, StDymphna said:

absolutely wild...I have been having PSSD since my adverse reactions began a couple months ago as well. little glimmers here and there, but I know things aren't right with my body

honestly idk if I will continue with the reinstatement. I have had dilated pupils all day and feel the same as when I was on the Lexapro previously. I stopped taking Lexapro because of these similar reactions I started having out of the blue and now I am having them again on a small dose. No way I can drive safely like this either..

I wouldn't call it PSSD yet, in your case, since you discontinued recently (about 2months). The diagnostic criteria for PSSD is after 3 months of discontinuation. There's good chance your PSSD-like symptoms could improve.

4 hours ago, StDymphna said:

Hi, I am ok... I backed out of reinstatement, I only did it two days.

Keep us updated.

Sertraline 2020 50 mg

Escitalopram 2021-2022 10mg

Escitalopram January 2023 25% reduction each week

February 2023 stop taking Escitalopram, without issues.

May 2023 Escitalopram 2 weeks varying doses from 2.5mg to 10mg, then stopped again. October 2023 took 2.5mg for one week. Didn't have issues when stopping.

Nightmare:

January 7 2024 took around 2 mg. Started with mild PSSD.

February 4 to February 8 took varying doses from 1mg to 5mg

March 3, 5mg at night. March 4, 5 mg in the morning. Started with moderate PSSD.

March 22 2.5mg, March 23 1.3mg, March 24 0.7 mg, March 25 0.2 mg, March 26 around 1 mg. Ended up with strong PSSD.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about tuberculin? It is used for the tuberculosis skin test, and I am required to get one for a potential job. I am worried if it will cause a reaction or if it is something I should worry about in withdrawal.

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

So frustrated! I just had an adverse reaction to an essential oil I was diffusing. 

-headache

-twitchy

-extreme panic

-dry mouth

It was an oil called Relief by Simply Earth (Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Copaiba, Juniper Berry, & Rosemary Essential Oils)

I thought nothing of it before I diffused because every night I have been using their Tranquility blend (Lemon, Orange, Ylang Ylang, Patchouli, & Amyris Essential Oils) for a month with no issues! I have also smelled lots of peppermint for nausea so I know it must be one of the other four oils in the blend I reacted to. 

I am sad but I am going to avoid using my Tranquility blend for a week or so, and skip my morning coffee for a few days to avoid more stimulation :(

Withdrawal really sucks. Since I last posted my symptoms have been very similar with some slight changes as withdrawal symptoms tend to do. I am not debilitated but some things really suck the joy out of my day (hours of brain fog, headaches, POTS like symptoms, insomnia) It's so hard to to hyperfixate on my condition and worry if I will become worse or worry about how long I will take to get better..

Anyway I have started neuroplasticity exercises for what that's worth- I didn't drop a bunch of $$$ on a program like Gupta, but i have done enough research and watched enough videos to get the hang of how breaking negative cycles and doing visualizations are supposed to go. I have been doing visualizations for 15-20 minutes each day for the past 4-5 days. It is hard to be positive with setbacks such as these, and this whole week hasn't been too good for me either.

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

Now it seems like I am getting these reactions from food! Is it because that one reaction from the oil made my body more hypersensitive? I have never gotten this from food before, will it go away in a few days?

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

Sadly, food sensitivity can come and go in waves with WD. It is a fairly common symptom as far as I know 😕 

I really hope that it'll go away for you. It's not really possible to know when it will start getting better.

Started effexor in 2011.

Did the muscle twitching go away when you stopped taking lex again?

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg, May 6 .75 mg; June 6 .7 mg, June 20 .65mg, June 30  .6mg, Jul 24 .55 mg, Oct 17 .5 mg, Dec 5- .45 mg; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg,  April 18- .375 ; April 24- .35; April 29- .3; Jun 12- .25 mg; Jun 28- .2 lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1- long hold, never got better

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05! 
Played around with my dose since Feb & became very unstable w/ extreme acute WD symptoms. Holding @ .06 since May 13.

Taking Magnesium, melatonin, & electrolytes 

• 3 weeks later...

No I still sometimes experience that 

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

No sometimes I still experience that

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

On 6/17/2024 at 1:04 AM, Dee12h said:

Did the muscle twitching go away when you stopped taking lex again?

No sometimes I still experience this symptom

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

Hi everyone. I thought I would give an update.. About a week ago food started doing weird things to me again and it hasn't subsided. After I eat I feel more nauseous, my heartrate speeds up, my skin itches and tingles, my throat and lips sometimes tingle as well. I do not know if this is a histamine issue? Like I said this came out of the blue and the only trouble i have had with food during withdrawal was for a couple days after I had a hypersensitive reaction to an essential oil. Has anyone else experienced strange symptoms like this after eating?

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

I cannot say that I have experienced this myself.

Have you noticed a pattern with something you eat?

I don't know much about histamine in food, sorry i'm not much help 😕 

Maybe keeping a journal of what you eat and how you react could help narrow it down?

Started effexor in 2011.

• 1 month later...

I am anxious about the lack of cold turkey success stories. It seems like a lot of people who CT end up reinstating anyway and i don't think that is really an option for me. Is it possible I can still recover? My OCD is telling me I will never recover and that I will get worse and worse if I do not reinstate. Please to not bring up reinstatement though because I have tried it before and I am not open to trying it again. I just want to know if it is possible without reinstatement.

I am having a super rough time with an onslaught of histamine issues that started a couple of months ago, 3 months into my withdrawal. It is hard to believe that they will go away on their own since I am so weirdly sensitive to everything. Please give me some hope...because of these histamine issues and food restrictions I have decided to stay home from college this semester and am opting for online classes. It is really depressing.

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.