KateH: Intro

On 4/25/2024 at 11:14 PM, Catwoman73 said:

Hi @KateH- I'm new here too, and yes, we do make the best decisions we can for ourselves at the time.  And we just weren't told the realities.  I am (was, I suppose) a respiratory therapist, and you would think after watching a million patients over last 25 years coming out of drug induced stupors in the ICU, I would have been more aware.  But there's no sense in looking back- we can only move forward.  I appreciate your positive outlook- I'm crazy optimistic that this has all happened to me for a reason, and I'm determined to figure out what that reason is!

Anyway- I wanted to say hello and welcome to a fellow healthcare professional.  I look forward to following your journey! :)

Hi @KateH I'm very new here too -  I am 68 with a long history of anti-depressants.  I'm amazed you coped at all being away from home when this happened to you. Kudos for holding it together.  I began to come off Escapitolam last January - my own decision - and when I arrived at. 2.75 mg I dropped to 0 mg and within a few days I felt like I'd hit a wall and haven't recovered.  I got advice here to taper but was so frightened at what was happening to me I went back up to 5 mg and then to 10 mg. It is just so awful for all of us - I had no idea there was such a thing as withdrawal from these drugs, naive as that may sound.   But well done to you and the best of luck for the future.   

Two decades Escitalopram 15 mg.  Stilnocht 10 mg nightly for last decade.

Started taper myself last January.  Worst decision ever. Halving dose to 7.5 mg 4th January 2024.   5 mg 23rd January.  2.5 mg 23rd March.  0 mg 12th April.  After approx. 47+ days symptoms began: anger, irritability, weeping outbursts, severe anxiety, chronic palpitations, panic sensations, severe day-long headaches, top of skull sore to touch, chronic insomnia (even while still taking sleeping pills), hopelessness.

Advice from SA:  5 mg in 50 ml of water; draw up 5 ml (0.5 mg). 7th-10th June 2024.  Reinstated (myself because I wanted immediate results!) 5 mg for 2 days 11/12th June 2024.  Doctor instructed 10 mg on day 14th June 2024 - one day only. Terrible advice/decision! Changed doctor.  15th June 2024 reinstated to 0.5 mg.  Symptoms: headaches, palpitations, anxiety/panic, feeling gloomy.  26th June 2024  - increased dosage to 1 mg/10 ml of Escitalopram 5mg (dissolved in 50 ml water).  Symptoms: much longer windows, headache/palpitations. 

13th July 2024 drop to 0.9 mg. Symptoms: headache most of day, feeling light-headed/dizzy sometimes, a few moments of low anxiety but these disappeared by week 4 (same week hit with chest infection - antibiotics 5 days 500mg Amoxicillin).  17th August 2024 drop to 0.81 mg.  Symptoms: 2nd week and experiencing headaches (or the WD headache as I like to call it), few palpitations.

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

Supplements:  Magnesium, Iodine, Vitamin D, Quercetin Complex  

On 6/15/2024 at 4:02 PM, Catwoman73 said:

'll send you a PM, Kate!

Thank you! I was not aware of that feature. 

21 hours ago, Bawneen said:

68 with a long history of anti-depressants

Thank you for reaching out @Bawneen! It is nice to know there are others in this world, the same age, years on antidepressants, struggling to taper. Sometimes I feel like the lone ranger, your note, helped me connect with a "fellow traveler". I eventually fully reinstated my dosage as the withdrawal was excruciating. There is a part of me that feels like a failure, as most here are tapering, while I have gone back to step one (take the drug, full dose, every day). Age has a lot to do with it and being on these meds since my twenties and on three different ones. I am already seeing declines in health... cognitive, and physical, and don't want to spend the remainder of my years in withdrawal. It frightens me. Perhaps if I were younger... 

I had no idea there was such a thing as withdrawal from these drugs, naive as that may sound. 

I hear you loud and clear. I feel very naive too. Especially as a healthcare professional - I was clueless. It makes me wonder what other things I have been told are garbage. Oh well, can't go there at the moment...

I'm amazed you coped at all being away from home when this happened to you.

I am amazed I got through it as well. I have my husband to thank for that. And, the support of this group. 

I wish you the best @Bawneen. Where are you at now as far as tapering/stabilizing/holding? 

27 minutes ago, KateH said:

Thank you for reaching out @Bawneen! It is nice to know there are others in this world, the same age, years on antidepressants, struggling to taper. Sometimes I feel like the lone ranger, your note, helped me connect with a "fellow traveler". I eventually fully reinstated my dosage as the withdrawal was excruciating. There is a part of me that feels like a failure, as most here are tapering, while I have gone back to step one (take the drug, full dose, every day). Age has a lot to do with it and being on these meds since my twenties and on three different ones. I am already seeing declines in health... cognitive, and physical, and don't want to spend the remainder of my years in withdrawal. It frightens me. Perhaps if I were younger... 

I hear you loud and clear. I feel very naive too. Especially as a healthcare professional - I was clueless. It makes me wonder what other things I have been told are garbage. Oh well, can't go there at the moment...

I am amazed I got through it as well. I have my husband to thank for that. And, the support of this group. 

I wish you the best @Bawneen. Where are you at now as far as tapering/stabilizing/holding? 

I'm reinstating and when I get to a place where I can go back to 10 and when I stabilize  I'm staying there. At least that's how I currently feel.  Like you,  my age is a huge mitigating factor of continuing this hellscape. At 68, the idea of battling for at least 5 years, or 10 at best terrifies me (I'm just going on histories I've seen here) because I was utterly clueless and I trusted my doctor implicitly (we all did back in the day).  Certainly it would have been unheard of to question the meds or doctor where I live.  Even now, Ireland is way behind on anything mental health related, that's for sure. Also I too feel a "failure" but every day is tortuous. If I was a younger woman I'd go through it.... but I'm old now and don't have that fight in me.  Big pharma infuriates me - they're still doling these things out. 

I'm reinstating to where I can feel "normal" again. I was originally on 15 mg but 10 mg was okay for me. Advice here is 5 mg dissolved in 50 ml of water and then draw up 5 ml - I'm not sure what that means - I'm convinced I've numerical dyslexia, lol.  So not sure how much mg I'm taking daily. How do we know when to increase?  I've downloaded a spreadsheet but don't know what quantities to use.  It's really good to connect with a golden oldie, lol, but age is a very big factor.  Did I read correctly you were in Georgia? If so I went there in 2013. Wonderful place. Take care of yourself. Maybe touch base with one another here to give support.

Started taper myself last January.  Worst decision ever. Halving dose to 7.5 mg 4th January 2024.   5 mg 23rd January.  2.5 mg 23rd March.  0 mg 12th April.  After approx. 47+ days symptoms began: anger, irritability, weeping outbursts, severe anxiety, chronic palpitations, panic sensations, severe day-long headaches, top of skull sore to touch, chronic insomnia (even while still taking sleeping pills), hopelessness.

Advice from SA:  5 mg in 50 ml of water; draw up 5 ml (0.5 mg). 7th-10th June 2024.  Reinstated (myself because I wanted immediate results!) 5 mg for 2 days 11/12th June 2024.  Doctor instructed 10 mg on day 14th June 2024 - one day only. Terrible advice/decision! Changed doctor.  15th June 2024 reinstated to 0.5 mg.  Symptoms: headaches, palpitations, anxiety/panic, feeling gloomy.  26th June 2024  - increased dosage to 1 mg/10 ml of Escitalopram 5mg (dissolved in 50 ml water).  Symptoms: much longer windows, headache/palpitations. 

13th July 2024 drop to 0.9 mg. Symptoms: headache most of day, feeling light-headed/dizzy sometimes, a few moments of low anxiety but these disappeared by week 4 (same week hit with chest infection - antibiotics 5 days 500mg Amoxicillin).  17th August 2024 drop to 0.81 mg.  Symptoms: 2nd week and experiencing headaches (or the WD headache as I like to call it), few palpitations.

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

20 hours ago, Bawneen said:

that's how I currently feel

When I was in the worst of withdrawal I felt certain that as soon as I stabilized, I would begin to taper. Now that I have stabilized, I am certain I don't want to taper. I think the right answer is what makes sense for you (and me) now. Sometimes it is hard to wrap my mind around how adamant I was about tapering when I stabilized and how adamant I am now about not tapering! 

I'm old now and don't have that fight in me.

I don't have the fight in me, either. I often think of aging as the years of diminishment. Things aren't working as they once did, I am sacrificing some things while modifying others.  I am OK with this, it is normal and natural. It is all about letting go gradually before the big letting go. Today, I am at peace about the aging process and the necessary losses, adjustments, and sometimes, the unpleasantness of it. I don't want to add to it. 

I'm not sure what that means - I'm convinced I've numerical dyslexia,

I am afraid I am of little help. I KNOW I have numerical dyslexia (I used to call myself dumb at mathematics, but I like your way of describing it)! 

Did I read correctly you were in Georgia

I am traveling abroad for two years and spent one month in Georgia. It is where my troubles began. They would not prescribe Neurontin for me which is why I started to taper (much too quickly) and became ill for several months. We flew to Turkey, where they would prescribe Gabapentin, and I reinstated right away. I thought I was going crazy and needed to be institutionalized. I Had some disappointing experiences with a Turkish psychiatrist and my doctor back in the States. I think the whole world is in the stone age about deprescribing, not just Ireland. I am currently in Albania. We might come to Ireland next (non-Schengen) will let you know! 

4 minutes ago, KateH said:

When I was in the worst of withdrawal I felt certain that as soon as I stabilized, I would begin to taper. Now that I have stabilized, I am certain I don't want to taper. I think the right answer is what makes sense for you (and me) now. Sometimes it is hard to wrap my mind around how adamant I was about tapering when I stabilized and how adamant I am now about not tapering! 

I don't have the fight in me, either. I often think of aging as the years of diminishment. Things aren't working as they once did, I am sacrificing some things while modifying others.  I am OK with this, it is normal and natural. It is all about letting go gradually before the big letting go. Today, I am at peace about the aging process and the necessary losses, adjustments, and sometimes, the unpleasantness of it. I don't want to add to it. 

I am afraid I am of little help. I KNOW I have numerical dyslexia (I used to call myself dumb at mathematics, but I like your way of describing it)! 

I am traveling abroad for two years and spent one month in Georgia. It is where my troubles began. They would not prescribe Neurontin for me which is why I started to taper (much too quickly) and became ill for several months. We flew to Turkey, where they would prescribe Gabapentin, and I reinstated right away. I thought I was going crazy and needed to be institutionalized. I Had some disappointing experiences with a Turkish psychiatrist and my doctor back in the States. I think the whole world is in the stone age about deprescribing, not just Ireland. I am currently in Albania. We might come to Ireland next (non-Schengen) will let you know! 

Wow all so traumatic.  It's just awful, but I'm at a stage where the reinstatement is just giving me an on-going low level of anxiety.  I've asked a few times here how to reinstate but I feel stupid. I look at the charts and might as well be looking at hieroglyphics!   I've no idea what dose I'm on but followed instructions given here.  My pharmacist wasn't at work today - hopefully he will know.  I saw there was a facility here to DM - can I use that to talk to you? Fair play to you that you are still travelling, I think I would have packed off home - when I got fierce anxiety (why I was put on these drugs to begin with) I would be terrified of being anywhere but home, not agoraphobia - just about feeling safe.  I actually went into my studio today and did a bit of mark-making!  And heading out for a walk now.  Take care of yourself.

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

52 minutes ago, Bawneen said:

I'm at a stage where the reinstatement is just giving me an on-going low level of anxiety.

I am not a good source for knowing how to reinstate. When I did, I just started taking the full dose right away! I had no idea what I was doing. I felt worse for a month or more, but gradually returned to baseline. I was so clueless (and I am a nurse) which made everything more humiliatingly frustrating! It is hieroglyphics to me too!

57 minutes ago, Bawneen said:

saw there was a facility here to DM - can I use that to talk to you?

Yes, feel free to DM. 

58 minutes ago, Bawneen said:

I think I would have packed off home

At my sickest, in Turkey, I desperately wanted to go home but was too ill to travel internationally. I was about to call the US embassy in Ankara and beg them to get me home when I had my first window ( a glimmer of hope).