Valkyrie: Escitalopram withdrawal symptoms?

Hello everyone, 

Here I am, two months after my last dose, having taken Escitalopram for a week. The dose was 5mg and on the last day 10mg. After stopping it, on the third day after the fourth, I started experiencing a joyful firework of symptoms. These included considerable restlessness and sexual dysfunction. Over the next two weeks, other symptoms joined in. 
Initial symptoms: 
- Restlessness
- sleep disturbances
- Emotional problems 
- Cognitive problems 
- Nervousness
- Anxiety
- Sexual dysfunction. 
Amusingly, I had at least a one-time significant improvement in sexual dysfunction on the 7th day after stopping. 
In the weeks that followed, the symptoms gradually improved but varied significantly in intensity from day to day. 
Current symptoms: 
- Mild restlessness
- Mild/fluctuating concentration problems
- Low libido
I probably don't have a complete anesthesia as described in PSSD. Possibly mild, but I don't want to completely rule out a psychological component. 
In general, I feel better, although the remaining symptoms are still very disturbing. I have attached my history. 
I would be very grateful for any advice. 

image.thumb.png.ead99b1eb074c59aaf0c439f014fd2c7.png

May the Force be with you!

Medication:

Escitalopram 27 March 2024-02 April

2024 (Day 1-6: 5mg; Day 7: 10mg)

Opipramol February 2024 for two weeks (50mg)

Supplements

Omega-3 (Seafish-Oil), Pycnogenol 80mg+1.8g L-Arginin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 5/30/2024 at 2:01 AM, Valkyrie said:

In general, I feel better, although the remaining symptoms are still very disturbing. I have attached my history. 
I would be very grateful for any advice. 

It's wonderful that you are feeling better in general.  It proves that you are healing and recovering.  The best way forward is 1) time and patience, and 2) natural self care.  

Please take a look at these links, to find strategies for coping with your remaining symptoms.  

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 3 weeks later...

@getofflexHey first of all, thanks for your feedback and thanks for the links! 

I'm almost at the 3 month mark now and even though I'm undoubtedly feeling better than I did in the first month, it's still up and down and can even fluctuate within a day. Unfortunately, the sleep problems are back and magnesium only works for me to a limited extent because it gives me GI problems. It also has undesirable effects for me due to the Ottoman effects in the gut. My emotions have somehow also been dampened, but I no longer know which part of it is anxiety and which is weaning symptoms. In my opinion, it's a mixture of both. Regular sleep, or sleep before 2am, definitely helps me, as do long walks outside. 
That's why I still have the symptoms: 
- Concentration problems (fluctuating in intensity) 
- Motivation problems (new phenomenon)
- Sexual dysfunction (not completely ruined but definitely noticeable-will have triggered some of the anxiety) 
- Generally a bit more stable emotionally but on the way to this point I have lost a few emotions that I had 1-1.5 months ago. 
I have stopped charting because I want to avoid getting further into the symptoms due to OCD/Anxiety. 

Do you/someone have any advice on what might help with sleep/coming down at night other than magnesium? Even if I have done a lot of sport all day I am not really tired in the evening. The length of my sleep has more or less normalized, but sleeping and the relaxation beforehand is missing. 

Medication:

Escitalopram 27 March 2024-02 April

2024 (Day 1-6: 5mg; Day 7: 10mg)

Opipramol February 2024 for two weeks (50mg)

Supplements

Omega-3 (Seafish-Oil), Pycnogenol 80mg+1.8g L-Arginin

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I can give you some ideas and pointers about sleep.  These are natural ideas, and may not work immediately.  They are habits and natural self care that will make it more likely that you will get better sleep, but must be practiced each day, and may take time to start working.  

My Insomnia Tips

Insomnia has been the worst part of WD for me.  Here is what I do to help.  

1) don't get overly anxious about it.  Realize that eventually, your sleep will improve.  Insomnia won't kill you, although it can make you pretty miserable.  Anxiety about sleep just makes the problem worse.  I know, easier said than done. I don't always do this, but I try.  Practice acceptance.

2)listen to very soft relaxing music at a very low volume.  

3)don't worry about what time it is.  Don't look at the clock.  

4) I try to stay active during the first half of the day.  I take a walk (mine is one hour) after breakfast every day.  Then, as the day goes on, gradually slow down.  Several hours before bed, I only do very relaxing things, like read, or just sit and relax.  This helps to set our circadian rhythm.  Try to get outside and get some light exposure during the day, too. 

5) Avoid toxic, negative people.  Avoid stress when possible, although I know a lot of stressors are unavoidable.   For me, this can really help me to relax better.  

6) I stay away from MSG, high salt, and aspartame. They are in a lot of our modern processed foods.  I try to eat more whole and natural, and not as many processed foods.  Also avoid processed meats with sodium nitrate, etc , such as hotdogs, ham, bacon, and sausage.  These can keep you up at night too.

7) avoid eating large amounts of sugar and processed carbohydrates.  This causes your blood glucose to spike up, which causes your pancreas to create insulin to control your blood sugar, which then causes your blood sugar to drop too low, and then your to create adrenaline to try to regulate your blood sugar.  Adrenaline keeps you awake because it is an activating hormone.

9) too much sodium (salt) can cause your blood pressure and heart rate to rise, and make it hard to sleep.

10) stay away from computer and smart phone screens at least 2 hours before bed, and avoid horror and high drama shows and movies.  

Here is our topic on insomnia: 

Withdrawal Insomnia

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly