Yes, you will be on 0.81mg (which is 8.1mL) with your next drop.

The 'jumping off' dose is the dose that you decide to quit from.  Here's a thread on how to manage those steps at the very end:

Managing the Endgame Taper

In terms of discussing tapering with medical professionals, it's best just to say that you are tapering slowly and this is my current dose.  They really don't need to know any more than that.  If they ask why you are going slowly, tell them you've had terrible withdrawal when you go faster.  The worst that could happen is that they ask more questions... which, in a way, is the best thing that could happen.  The medical community is only ever going to realize the damage these drugs do if we continue to educate them.  

Surgery can certainly complicate our tapering- I would certainly plan to hold around the time that you are having the procedure.  I would also ask if it's possible to do it with a nerve block rather than a general anesthetic.  A general anesthetic can leave ANYONE feeling pretty crappy for many days, and while tapering, I imagine it could trigger a pretty nasty wave.  Even with a nerve block, they will likely want to give you some sort of sedative, possibly a benzodiazepine. If you don't want to take that chance, tell them you don't want any sedation, only the nerve block, and be firm.  Allow them to insert an IV, just in case you change your mind mid procedure.  Personally, I've had a couple of procedures over the years with no sedation, only nerve block.  I was just fine- it's a bit freaky, knowing what is happening, and being awake for it, but the recovery is so much faster, and the risk of a massive wave is much lower. 

If your heel is really bothering you, can you cycle or swim instead of walking? Swimming is my go-to for relieving symptoms.  I feel normal in the water.  We have a pool, but I'm planning on purchasing a membership to our local pool during the off season, just so I can keep it up!

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2009- Daughter born 🥰 Post partum depression/psychosis- no meds taken.

2016- Back on escitalopram due to job change/anxiety

2022- Severe covid infection- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN, July 22 8.2mg esc. 2.0mg LDN. July 29 8.1mg esc. 2.0mg LDN. Aug. 24- 8.0mg Esc. 2.0mg LDN.  Aug. 30 7.9mg esc.  Sept. 6 7.8mg esc.  Sept. 13 7.7mg esc. Sept 21 2.5mg LDN. Oct. 4 7.6mg esc. Oct. 11 7.5mg esc. Oct. 18 7.4mg esc. 

Supplements/other meds: Vitamin D, B12, Claritin, HRT

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME!  PLEASE ONLY TAG ME FOR URGENT QUESTIONS!  Thank you!

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

8 minutes ago, Catwoman73 said:

The 'jumping off' dose is the dose that you decide to quit from.  Here's a thread on how to manage those steps at the very end:

In terms of discussing tapering with medical professionals, it's best just to say that you are tapering slowly and this is my current dose.  They really don't need to know any more than that.  If they ask why you are going slowly, tell them you've had terrible withdrawal when you go faster.  The worst that could happen is that they ask more questions... which, in a way, is the best thing that could happen.  The medical community is only ever going to realize the damage these drugs do if we continue to educate them.  

Surgery can certainly complicate our tapering- I would certainly plan to hold around the time that you are having the procedure.  I would also ask if it's possible to do it with a nerve block rather than a general anesthetic.  A general anesthetic can leave ANYONE feeling pretty crappy for many days, and while tapering, I imagine it could trigger a pretty nasty wave.  Even with a nerve block, they will likely want to give you some sort of sedative, possibly a benzodiazepine. If you don't want to take that chance, tell them you don't want any sedation, only the nerve block, and be firm.  Allow them to insert an IV, just in case you change your mind mid procedure.  Personally, I've had a couple of procedures over the years with no sedation, only nerve block.  I was just fine- it's a bit freaky, knowing what is happening, and being awake for it, but the recovery is so much faster, and the risk of a massive wave is much lower. 

If your heel is really bothering you, can you cycle or swim instead of walking? Swimming is my go-to for relieving symptoms.  I feel normal in the water.  We have a pool, but I'm planning on purchasing a membership to our local pool during the off season, just so I can keep it up!

@Catwoman73 I meant to ask if the numbers you have given me are a 10% decrease or 5%?  I presume it's a 10% decrease.   I'd a very serious road traffic accident 30 years ago and as a result a lot of surgeries, also have had gallbladder removed, hip replaced a few years back and I've bounced back pretty quickly. I take a sleeping tablet nightly, Stilnocht so would opt for a sedative. I'm not sure they would allow a nerve block here, god, that scares me. Being aware of what is going on. This is getting darker, thinking of a massive wave scares me. I hadn't even thought of that, just having the conversation was scaring me.  The bone spur I have is on the top front of foot not on the heel.  

Two decades Escitalopram 15 mg.  Stilnocht 10 mg nightly for last decade.

Started taper myself last January.  Worst decision ever. Halving dose to 7.5 mg 4th January 2024.   5 mg 23rd January.  2.5 mg 23rd March.  0 mg 12th April.  After approx. 50+ days symptoms began: anger, irritability, weeping outbursts, severe anxiety, chronic palpitations, panic sensations, severe day-long headaches, top of skull sore to touch, chronic insomnia (even while still taking sleeping pills), hopelessness.

Advice from SA:  5 mg in 50 ml of water; draw up 5 ml (0.5 mg). 7th-10th June 2024.  Reinstated (myself because I wanted immediate results!) 5 mg for 2 days 11/12th June 2024.  Doctor instructed 10 mg on day 14th June 2024 - one day only. Terrible advice/decision!   15th June 2024 reinstated to 0.5 mg.  Symptoms: headaches, palpitations, anxiety/panic, feeling gloomy.  26th June 2024  - increased dosage to 1 mg/10 ml of Escitalopram 5mg (dissolved in 50 ml water).  Symptoms: much longer windows, headache/palpitations. 

13th July 2024 drop to 0.9 mg for 5 weeks. Symptoms: headache most of day, feeling light-headed/dizzy sometimes, a few moments of low anxiety but these disappeared by week 4 (same week hit with chest infection - antibiotics 5 days 500mg Amoxicillin).  17th August 2024 drop to 0.81 mg for 5 weeks.  Symptoms: week 2 experienced headache frequently; a few palpitations on one day.   22nd Sept 2024 drop to 0.73 mg for 3 weeks.  Symptoms:  Headache usually starts about 2 pm for a few hours (first week). 

13th October 2024 drop to 0.66 mg.

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

Supplements:  Magnesium, Iodine, Vitamin D, Quercetin Complex  

3 minutes ago, Bawneen said:

@Catwoman73 I meant to ask if the numbers you have given me are a 10% decrease or 5%?  I presume it's a 10% decrease.   I'd a very serious road traffic accident 30 years ago and as a result a lot of surgeries, also have had gallbladder removed, hip replaced a few years back and I've bounced back pretty quickly. I take a sleeping tablet nightly, Stilnocht so would opt for a sedative. I'm not sure they would allow a nerve block here, god, that scares me. Being aware of what is going on. This is getting darker, thinking of a massive wave scares me. I hadn't even thought of that, just having the conversation was scaring me.  The bone spur I have is on the top front of foot not on the heel.  

The numbers I gave you are for 10% decreases.  Of course, you can always change that if the tapering gets difficult.  Or even go to a micro-tapering plan (that's what I'm doing at the moment), though there's definitely a bit more math involved in micro-tapering lol!

The concern with having a general anesthetic now is that your nervous system is not as stable as it would have been 30 years ago.   That being said, if doing it with a nerve block alone is just too much for you to think about, you can do a nerve block with a sedative.  A sedative would just be a single drug (you can even ask at your pre-op what drug they would use for sedation if you had a nerve block).  Then you would just sleep through it.  That option is certainly better than a general anesthetic- where you would be given multiple neurologically active drugs, plus reversal drugs at the end.  I'm certain they would do a nerve block for you- in fact, they often prefer them, as the recovery is much easier and faster. 

Don't let the thought of a massive wave post op scare you- we do what we need to do!  If you need this surgery to be comfortable, you should absolutely do it.  Just PREPARE!!!  Go with the least amount of systemic drugs you feel you can handle, and hold whatever dose you are at for a few weeks before and after the surgery.  Have your toolkit all ready if that wave does come- be prepared to meditate, breathe deeply, challenge negative thoughts, etc.  Practice practice practice!  I can't remember who said it, but the key to success really is in the preparation.  If you are ready for anything, you'll handle it like a champ!  And of course, you know we're here to support you along the way!

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN, July 22 8.2mg esc. 2.0mg LDN. July 29 8.1mg esc. 2.0mg LDN. Aug. 24- 8.0mg Esc. 2.0mg LDN.  Aug. 30 7.9mg esc.  Sept. 6 7.8mg esc.  Sept. 13 7.7mg esc. Sept 21 2.5mg LDN. Oct. 4 7.6mg esc. Oct. 11 7.5mg esc. Oct. 18 7.4mg esc. 

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

34 minutes ago, Catwoman73 said:

We call it local anesthetic here. I would opt for it. 

Started taper myself last January.  Worst decision ever. Halving dose to 7.5 mg 4th January 2024.   5 mg 23rd January.  2.5 mg 23rd March.  0 mg 12th April.  After approx. 50+ days symptoms began: anger, irritability, weeping outbursts, severe anxiety, chronic palpitations, panic sensations, severe day-long headaches, top of skull sore to touch, chronic insomnia (even while still taking sleeping pills), hopelessness.

Advice from SA:  5 mg in 50 ml of water; draw up 5 ml (0.5 mg). 7th-10th June 2024.  Reinstated (myself because I wanted immediate results!) 5 mg for 2 days 11/12th June 2024.  Doctor instructed 10 mg on day 14th June 2024 - one day only. Terrible advice/decision!   15th June 2024 reinstated to 0.5 mg.  Symptoms: headaches, palpitations, anxiety/panic, feeling gloomy.  26th June 2024  - increased dosage to 1 mg/10 ml of Escitalopram 5mg (dissolved in 50 ml water).  Symptoms: much longer windows, headache/palpitations. 

13th July 2024 drop to 0.9 mg for 5 weeks. Symptoms: headache most of day, feeling light-headed/dizzy sometimes, a few moments of low anxiety but these disappeared by week 4 (same week hit with chest infection - antibiotics 5 days 500mg Amoxicillin).  17th August 2024 drop to 0.81 mg for 5 weeks.  Symptoms: week 2 experienced headache frequently; a few palpitations on one day.   22nd Sept 2024 drop to 0.73 mg for 3 weeks.  Symptoms:  Headache usually starts about 2 pm for a few hours (first week). 

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

4 minutes ago, Bawneen said:

We call it local anesthetic here. I would opt for it. 

Yes, interchangeable terms!  I worked in healthcare for 25 years... I would always go for local based on much of what I've seen over time.  It's just so much less risky in general.  

My two most recent surgeries were a c-section and eye surgery.  I had local anesthetic for both, and bounced back beautifully.  Depending on where your bone spur is, they may be able to just use an ankle block, which is about as non-invasive as it gets.  It's generally a pretty quick procedure as well.  I think you'll do just fine!

If you're interested, here is link to show how ankle blocks are done. Don't feel like you have to look if you can't handle stuff like that... not everyone has my iron stomach lol! But some people feel better knowing all the details, so I thought I'd pass this along to you:

https://www.nysora.com/topics/regional-anesthesia-for-specific-surgical-procedures/lower-extremity-regional-anesthesia-for-specific-surgical-procedures/foot-and-anckle/ankle-block/ 

Just now, Catwoman73 said:

Yes, interchangeable terms!  I worked in healthcare for 25 years... I would always go for local based on much of what I've seen over time.  It's just so much less risky in general.  

My two most recent surgeries were a c-section and eye surgery.  I had local anesthetic for both, and bounced back beautifully.  Depending on where your bone spur is, they may be able to just use an ankle block, which is about as non-invasive as it gets.  It's generally a pretty quick procedure as well.  I think you'll do just fine!

If you're interested, here is link to show how ankle blocks are done. Don't feel like you have to look if you can't handle stuff like that... not everyone has my iron stomach lol! But some people feel better knowing all the details, so I thought I'd pass this along to you:

https://www.nysora.com/topics/regional-anesthesia-for-specific-surgical-procedures/lower-extremity-regional-anesthesia-for-specific-surgical-procedures/foot-and-anckle/ankle-block/ 

🤣😂🥰 oh dear god, this is something I can leave for now.  I don't know if I have the stomach for it but maybe down the road, when I get an appointment to see the doctor I might get up the courage to have a look.  As you are a medical person, what are the headaches about, I have one every single day that lasts nearly all day since I began to taper.  Top of my head feels sore and it moves around, they certainly not normal headaches.

Also apologies again but another maths problem how do you taper by 5%, if my starting point is 0.90?  

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

On 7/16/2024 at 9:47 PM, Bawneen said:

🤣😂🥰 oh dear god, this is something I can leave for now.  I don't know if I have the stomach for it but maybe down the road, when I get an appointment to see the doctor I might get up the courage to have a look.  As you are a medical person, what are the headaches about, I have one every single day that lasts nearly all day since I began to taper.  Top of my head feels sore and it moves around, they certainly not normal headaches.

Also apologies again but another maths problem how do you taper by 5%, if my starting point is 0.90?  

@Catwoman73 just noticed a comment (not here) of one woman, 61, mixes water and maple syrup together, she said particles cling easier to it, it's a way of guaranteeing drawing up correct amount?  Is this sound or unsound advice?  Thanks in advance.  

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

2 minutes ago, Bawneen said:

@Catwoman73 just noticed a comment (not here) of one woman, 61, mixes water and maple syrup together, she said particles cling easier to it, it's a way of guaranteeing drawing up correct amount?  Is this sound or unsound advice?  Thanks in advance.  

@Catwoman73 this was advised Ora Plus. I've been worrying I'm not drawing up exact amount each time. Headaches/palpitations are not receding at all. 

452140893_10224095521791582_1416944771923278113_n.jpg

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

58 minutes ago, Bawneen said:

Yes, this is exactly what I do with my escitalopram.  It still requires a really good shake/stir before drawing up your dose, but the particles do become more evenly distributed when using a suspension like this.  I use half water, half maple syrup.  Don't use any of the fake pancake syrups- I had to do that while on vacation, and then just don't mix up very well.  Invest in the real thing, if you want to use maple syrup.  Ora Plus is a good option as well- I just prefer for natural products for myself!  Maple syrup is expensive, but it looks like ora plus is even worse lol- so I would go with the maple syrup!

1 hour ago, Catwoman73 said:

Yes, this is exactly what I do with my escitalopram.  It still requires a really good shake/stir before drawing up your dose, but the particles do become more evenly distributed when using a suspension like this.  I use half water, half maple syrup.  Don't use any of the fake pancake syrups- I had to do that while on vacation, and then just don't mix up very well.  Invest in the real thing, if you want to use maple syrup.  Ora Plus is a good option as well- I just prefer for natural products for myself!  Maple syrup is expensive, but it looks like ora plus is even worse lol- so I would go with the maple syrup!

Oh this is great news because I was unsure if I was getting the full whack of the pill and it can fluctuate daily. I wonder if this is anything to do with the severe headaches I have every single day since I began tapering. I usually buy the good quality Canadian maple syrup, the fake are horrible and I suspect, all sugar!  I need to get a jar with lid to shake it up as I've just been stirring with syringe and have wondered if the bulk goes down the sink daily. Once again thank you.  This is a never-ending learning curve.  

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

2 hours ago, Bawneen said:

Oh this is great news because I was unsure if I was getting the full whack of the pill and it can fluctuate daily. I wonder if this is anything to do with the severe headaches I have every single day since I began tapering. I usually buy the good quality Canadian maple syrup, the fake are horrible and I suspect, all sugar!  I need to get a jar with lid to shake it up as I've just been stirring with syringe and have wondered if the bulk goes down the sink daily. Once again thank you.  This is a never-ending learning curve.  

I just use a shot glass and swirl it around like crazy, then draw it up quickly so it doesn't have a chance to settle again.  But a good shake would probably work even better!

And yes, The good Canadian maple syrup is absolutely the way to go!  The other stuff is all high fructose corn syrup, which is just awful for you. 

It is a never ending learning curve.  For me too!  But we're all in this together, and that makes it just a little bit more bearable! 

On 7/20/2024 at 7:16 PM, Catwoman73 said:

I just use a shot glass and swirl it around like crazy, then draw it up quickly so it doesn't have a chance to settle again.  But a good shake would probably work even better!

And yes, The good Canadian maple syrup is absolutely the way to go!  The other stuff is all high fructose corn syrup, which is just awful for you. 

It is a never ending learning curve.  For me too!  But we're all in this together, and that makes it just a little bit more bearable! 

@Catwoman73 Hi again, can you give me your maths expertise please?  My drop off number is 0.9 so each drop is x .90 (and that's 10% as you explained).  If I wanted to drop by 5% how would I calculate this?  Sorry I'm an idiot with numbers as I explained before to you.  🥰

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

58 minutes ago, Bawneen said:

@Catwoman73 Hi again, can you give me your maths expertise please?  My drop off number is 0.9 so each drop is x .90 (and that's 10% as you explained).  If I wanted to drop by 5% how would I calculate this?  Sorry I'm an idiot with numbers as I explained before to you.  🥰

Then you would multiply your current dose by 0.95 instead.

So you are currently taking 9mL, correct?

So 9mL XS 0.95 = 8.55mL- round up to 8.6mL for easier measuring. 

12 hours ago, Catwoman73 said:

Then you would multiply your current dose by 0.95 instead.

So you are currently taking 9mL, correct?

So 9mL XS 0.95 = 8.55mL- round up to 8.6mL for easier measuring. 

@Catwoman73 thanks for prompt reply🥰

Yes that's correct.  I'm currently drawing up 9 ml and tapering by 10% as advised. I'm staying here for 4 weeks at least.

My next drop by 10% will be  9 x 0.9 = 8.1 or by 5% 9 x 0.95 = 8.55 (rounded up to 8.6).

Thanks again for your help. 

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2024 at 2:07 PM, Bawneen said:

Yes that's correct.  I'm currently drawing up 9 ml and tapering by 10% as advised. I'm staying here for 4 weeks at least.

My next drop by 10% will be  9 x 0.9 = 8.1 or by 5% 9 x 0.95 = 8.55 (rounded up to 8.6).

@Catwoman73 Please can you help?  Unfortunately for you, you are my go to person.  I was at 1 mg (after advice from SA) and began taper slowly.  I dropped to 0.9 then down to my current drop of 0.66 (as you can see from my signature).  I just had the horrible realization that this could be all wrong!  I'm enclosing pics of 2 syringes I use.  I'm at 6 on the larger one and then .06 on the smaller one.  Does the larger one mean I'm actually act 6 mg and not .6 as I thought.  I'm gutted if that is the case 😱 Below is image of large syringe and I draw up to 6 on it. Does that mean 0.6?  IMG_4329(1).jpg.ca04781db8c5953ab39e36eae62d794c.jpg the other syringe is .06 as I'm taking 0.66 mg or thought that was the case. Fingers crossed that this is correct and I haven't been taking 6.6 mg!!!  Kind regards and I hope all is well with you.

10 mg Stilnocht nightly. 

Just now, Bawneen said:

@Catwoman73 Please can you help?  Unfortunately for you, you are my go to person.  I was at 1 mg (after advice from SA) and began taper slowly.  I dropped to 0.9 then down to my current drop of 0.66 (as you can see from my signature).  I just had the horrible realization that this could be all wrong!  I'm enclosing pics of 2 syringes I use.  I'm at 6 on the larger one and then .06 on the smaller one.  Does the larger one mean I'm actually act 6 mg and not .6 as I thought.  I'm gutted if that is the case 😱 Below is image of large syringe and I draw up to 6 on it. Does that mean 0.6?  IMG_4329(1).jpg.ca04781db8c5953ab39e36eae62d794c.jpg the other syringe is .06 as I'm taking 0.66 mg or thought that was the case. Fingers crossed that this is correct and I haven't been taking 6.6 mg!!!  Kind regards and I hope all is well with you.

@Catwoman73 just had a thought that I've over-reacted.  As I dissolve 5 mg of Escitalopram I could only be drawing up 0.66 using the 2 syringes, the larger one as per photo and smaller one which has measurements (for diabetics) 0.06

On 7/23/2024 at 2:07 PM, Bawneen said:

10 mg Stilnocht nightly.