Jonwil: Considering Mitrazapine for Benzo Withdrawl.

1 minute ago, Ariel said:

Honestly, if you're dealing with physicians who stubbornly deny/refuse to learn about WD, I wouldn't waste my energy trying to convince/educate them about tapers, liquid or otherwise. If I were in your position, down to my last stash of drugs, I'd focus my efforts on finding a new prescriber, someone who would prescribe the drugs for as long as needed. And I would be very pragmatic about it, lying as needed to get my prescription. That's just me, speaking as someone whose life has been destroyed by CTs, fast tapers, cold switches, and decades of polypharmacy, incorrect prescribing as well as incorrect deprescribing. My point of view is f*** them, it's my body, my life, the consequences of WD are mine to suffer -- I'd lie as needed. 

That being said, here's the SA info on liquid tapers.

You'll find many more important topics here.

In my previous post I've provided links to some possible resources to show your doctor, incl. The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines

Hi @Ariel Thanks again for your time. I have the deprescribing book so I will take that with me. Thanks for all your help.

Took SSRI for a few months in 2021. Had side effects but weren't long lasting. I am currently going through Benzo wilthdrawl and tapering Mitrazapine. 

Oct 2021 - Ended 3 months sertraline. No real problems

Jan 2022 - CT Valium After short term use. Short but intense withdrawl

Feb 2024 - CT from Valium short term use. Still in withdrawl.

Jun 24 - Started Mirtazapine to try and help with benzo depression. Big mistake. Had adverse reactions. Started to taper after 3 weeks. Cut from 15 to 7.5 and then 7.5 to 3.75 in the space of around a month. Looking to get off completely.

Here for help.

@jonwil

You're in the UK, yes?

Have a look through the first post of this topic, there are 7 different physicians listed who recognize psych drug WD and are willing to diagnose it. 

If I were you I'd contact each of them to ask whether they could help, either by providing prescriptions to allow you to taper slowly and responsibly, or whether they could refer you to a colleague. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

2 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I have the deprescribing book so I will take that with me.

That's great @jonwil so glad to hear you have the book! Yes, take it with you to all subsequent appointments. 

By the way, do you have anyone in your life privately who supports you in this? How is your support system?

Do you have anyone supportive, who's on your side and who could accompany you to a doctor's appointment?

Sometimes this can make a difference, not only for us to feel that someone has our back, but also it can force the doctor to be on their best behavior when someone else is in the room. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

Just now, Ariel said:

That's great @jonwil so glad to hear you have the book! Yes, take it with you to all subsequent appointments. 

By the way, do you have anyone in your life privately who supports you in this? How is your support system?

Do you have anyone supportive, who's on your side and who could accompany you to a doctor's appointment?

Sometimes this can make a difference, not only for us to feel that someone has our back, but also it can force the doctor to be on their best behavior when someone else is in the room. 

I dont really have anyone. I have some family, my dad and brothers but they have their own problems. I bother them as little as possible. They don't even know much about my situation. Just basic stuff. It's becoming really difficult now that I have developed aka. It was such a stupid mistake taking this stuff. Thanks for all your help it really is apreciated.

Took SSRI for a few months in 2021. Had side effects but weren't long lasting. I am currently going through Benzo wilthdrawl and tapering Mitrazapine. 

Jun 24 - Started Mirtazapine to try and help with benzo depression. Big mistake. Had adverse reactions. Started to taper after 3 weeks. Cut from 15 to 7.5 and then 7.5 to 3.75 in the space of around a month. Looking to get off completely.

Here for help.

Just now, jonwil said:

I dont really have anyone. I have some family, my dad and brothers but they have their own problems. I bother them as little as possible. They don't even know much about my situation. Just basic stuff. It's becoming really difficult now that I have developed aka. It was such a stupid mistake taking this stuff. Thanks for all your help it really is apreciated.

I'm sorry to hear this @jonwil

Going through this is hard enough as it is, being alone with it makes things even harder. 

Please do check out the topic I linked to above that lists physicians in the UK who recognize drug WD. They'd also know about akathisia and other complications. 

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Please don't ever blame yourself. It's not your fault. I understand the feeling of regret and that it feels like a stupid mistake. You didn't know, and you made the only choice you could make with the information you had at the time. We've all been there -- and now here we are. The doctors' ignorance and malpractice is not your responsibility. They're the ones who take an oath to do no harm, they're the ones responsible for our care. We put our trust in them, and they neglected to fulfill their duty of care, through ignorance and worse. That is not on you. 

The best thing you can do now is advocate for yourself moving forward. You've done a fantastic job informing and educating yourself, and you manage to do that despite going through awful symptoms of iatrogenic illness. Give yourself so much credit for that, that's very well done! Now that you know you can make different choices in the future, from a place of informed consent and empowerment. Do the best you can, and work on forgiving yourself, because this is NOT your fault. 

And remember, no matter what happens: this is temporary. WD is a temporary iatrogenic condition, and it will pass. It gets better. 

You are already healing, healing is happening. Healing is happening all the time, even when we don't consciously perceive it! 

Love to you, jonwil. Hang in there, you're doing a very good job under the circumstances, and you're going to be okay <3

5 minutes ago, Ariel said:

I'm sorry to hear this @jonwil

Going through this is hard enough as it is, being alone with it makes things even harder. 

Please do check out the topic I linked to above that lists physicians in the UK who recognize drug WD. They'd also know about akathisia and other complications. 

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Please don't ever blame yourself. It's not your fault. I understand the feeling of regret and that it feels like a stupid mistake. You didn't know, and you made the only choice you could make with the information you had at the time. We've all been there -- and now here we are. The doctors' ignorance and malpractice is not your responsibility. They're the ones who take an oath to do no harm, they're the ones responsible for our care. We put our trust in them, and they neglected to fulfill their duty of care, through ignorance and worse. That is not on you. 

The best thing you can do now is advocate for yourself moving forward. You've done a fantastic job informing and educating yourself, and you manage to do that despite going through awful symptoms of iatrogenic illness. Give yourself so much credit for that, that's very well done! Now that you know you can make different choices in the future, from a place of informed consent and empowerment. Do the best you can, and work on forgiving yourself, because this is NOT your fault. 

And remember, no matter what happens: this is temporary. WD is a temporary iatrogenic condition, and it will pass. It gets better. 

You are already healing, healing is happening. Healing is happening all the time, even when we don't consciously perceive it! 

Love to you, jonwil. Hang in there, you're doing a very good job under the circumstances, and you're going to be okay ❤️

Thanks! I'm trying my best. Thank you.

Here for help.

@jonwil

See also: https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mental-health/treatments-and-wellbeing/stopping-antidepressants

This is not as comprehensive as the Maudsley manual -- it's brilliant that you've got that book and can bring it with you -- my point with the link above is just to show that psych drug withdrawal is no longer some far-out fringe internet idea! Especially in the UK, one of the few countries in the world right now where this is officially recognized, psych drug WD has been accepted to exist. There's still a long way to go, but there's enough published, professional acknowledgment of the issue that you absolutely have scientific research and evidence on your side. 

And here's the website of Dr. Mark Horowitz himself: https://markhorowitz.org

He may be licensed in the UK, in which case maybe he could prescribe for you and provide tapering advice?

Good luck at your next doctor's appointment! Thinking of you and sending good vibes, you are very brave <3

I managed to get prescribed again which is great. The more I read about coming off Mirtazapine though the more I feel it is going to be impossible for me. Most seem to be doing a micro taper which I dont think is possible for me. I really don't know how to get off this stuff in the safest manor I have available. I'm on 3.75mg but see that this could still take a long time. Given my fairly short time on the drug am I to think that going faster is still my best option? My doctors wont prescribe for a microtaper I'm pretty sure of that. I'm so confused as to what to do for the best. 

Here for help.

Hi, I have been on mirt for just under 3 months. I started at 15mg and cut quite quickly down to 3.75. I must add that I have been in benzo withdrawl and ct'd from valium around 7 months ago. I cut the mirt because I developed akathisia. I am looking for a sensible way off the remaining mirt and am using pills so dry cutting. Any advice on how to approach the lower doses would be greatly apreciated as I am nervous about coming off since the adverse reaction. I don't have much experience with tapering so tips on how to get the lower doses from the pills would also be much appreciated. I have been on 3.75 for over a month now. Many thanks in advance!

Here for help.

Hi @jonwil

Moved your post over here to your thread. You can post any other questions right here.

8 hours ago, jonwil said:

I am nervous about coming off since the adverse reaction.

Has the akathisia improved as you've lowered the dose of mirtazapine?

How much time did you leave in between each reduction?

If you look back to August 27, I suggested you could half it again. You also mentioned running out of pills. Where are you at with this?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods

2010-2011 Ativan

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

20 minutes ago, LotusRising said:

Hi @jonwil

Moved your post over here to your thread. You can post any other questions right here.

Has the akathisia improved as you've lowered the dose of mirtazapine?

How much time did you leave in between each reduction?

If you look back to August 27, I suggested you could half it again. You also mentioned running out of pills. Where are you at with this?

HI @LotusRising I had my prescription reinstated. Aka is still a problem but intermittent at the moment.

Here for help.

On 9/8/2024 at 1:23 AM, jonwil said:

Hi, I have been on mirt for just under 3 months. I started at 15mg and cut quite quickly down to 3.75. I must add that I have been in benzo withdrawl and ct'd from valium around 7 months ago. I cut the mirt because I developed akathisia. I am looking for a sensible way off the remaining mirt and am using pills so dry cutting. Any advice on how to approach the lower doses would be greatly apreciated as I am nervous about coming off since the adverse reaction. I don't have much experience with tapering so tips on how to get the lower doses from the pills would also be much appreciated. I have been on 3.75 for over a month now. Many thanks in advance!

Hi I am new here and tapering off Mirtazapine too. You can do a micro taper by dissolving tablet in half water and half maple surup

Early 2000s - On Zoloft for short time.  Helped me sleep again after taking sleeping tablets for a month - 6 weeks. The doctor informed me I could take them every day at the time. I was on Zoloft only a short time. 

2007 - I found I had trouble sleeping again with some life issues and went back on Zoloft. 
2022 - the Zoloft suddenly became ineffective for sleep after catching COVID.

I was on both Zoloft and Mirtazapine for a while and weaned off Zoloft successfully. 2024- The Mirtazapine is making me feel sick and it is currently hard to get off. I am trying to taper now. I am also back on low dose of Zoloft which seems to be helping again. 

On 9/8/2024 at 1:23 AM, jonwil said:

Sorry I accidentally cut the other message off. You can find detailed methods on this in a Facebook group. I am not a doctor so I cannot write out the exact method but the method used by Mirtazapine: peer, support… has very specific guidelines. 

Early 2000s - On Zoloft for short time.  Helped me sleep again after taking sleeping tablets for a month - 6 weeks. The doctor informed me I could take them every day at the time. I was on Zoloft only a short time. 

2007 - I found I had trouble sleeping again with some life issues and went back on Zoloft. 

I was on both Zoloft and Mirtazapine for a while and weaned off Zoloft successfully. 2024- The Mirtazapine is making me feel sick and it is currently hard to get off. I am trying to taper now. I am also back on low dose of Zoloft which seems to be helping again. 

On 9/9/2024 at 2:52 AM, Kerrijane said:

Sorry I accidentally cut the other message off. You can find detailed methods on this in a Facebook group. I am not a doctor so I cannot write out the exact method but the method used by Mirtazapine: peer, support… has very specific guidelines. 

I cant get onto facebook unfortunately. I deleted my account and it wont let me re-register for some reason.

Here for help.

On 9/9/2024 at 2:52 AM, Kerrijane said:

It sounds very difficult and I have aka which makes it seem impossible. Do you use this method? Thanks.

Here for help.

26 minutes ago, jonwil said:

It sounds very difficult and I have aka which makes it seem impossible. Do you use this method? Thanks.

Yes, I do. Google make own liquid mirtazapine. Although I a not a doctor, I dissolve 30mg tablet in 15ml water and after dissolved after 5 minutes I add 15 ml of maple syrup. Use only syringes for accuracy. 1ml equals 1mg. 

10 minutes ago, Kerrijane said:

Yes, I do. Google make own liquid mirtazapine. Although I a not a doctor, I dissolve 30mg tablet in 15ml water and after dissolved after 5 minutes I add 15 ml of maple syrup. Use only syringes for accuracy. 1ml equals 1mg. 

It isn’t so difficult once you get use to it.

I've noticed inconsistancy with weighing my tablets. I have a new batch of the same brand but a full tablet weighs less. A 15mg tablet weighs 14.2. Anyone else ever have this? Or are my scales just unreliable? I'm going to swich to making my own liquid I think.

Here for help.

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

I've noticed inconsistancy with weighing my tablets. I have a new batch of the same brand but a full tablet weighs less. A 15mg tablet weighs 14.2. Anyone else ever have this? Or are my scales just unreliable? I'm going to swich to making my own liquid I think.

But wouldn’t the liquid also be inconsistent if made from inconsistent tablets? But if they all weigh 14.2 it should be OK taking this into account? I don’t weigh mine and just use liquid…

57 minutes ago, Kerrijane said:

But wouldn’t the liquid also be inconsistent if made from inconsistent tablets? But if they all weigh 14.2 it should be OK taking this into account? I don’t weigh mine and just use liquid…

The other thing I just thought of was that the active ingredient could be the same even if tablet weighed differently but I don’t really know if this is possible or not…

Hi, Does the mapel syrup suspension keep in the fridge and if so for how long? Many thanks.

Here for help.

Up to 4 days I have heard.

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Hi, Does the mapel syrup suspension keep in the fridge and if so for how long? Many thanks.

How are you going with it?

4 hours ago, Kerrijane said:

How are you going with it?

HI @Kerrijane I havn't started yet but should be soon. How long do you keep yours for?

Here for help.

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

HI @Kerrijane I havn't started yet but should be soon. How long do you keep yours for?

I’m on 8.25 and just get 2 doses with that. It’s too hard to get third in with 30mg tablet. So just 2 days.

• 2 weeks later...

made the switch from pill to mapel syrup suspension 3 nights ago. Just woke up after 2 hours sleep very agitated, breathless and shakey. Something feels very different. Is this normal? should I go back to dry cutting?

Here for help.

made the switch from pill to mapel syrup suspension 3 nights ago. Just woke up after 2 hours sleep very agitated, breathless and shakey. Something feels very different. Is this normal? should I go back to dry cutting?

I am sorry it has been so hard. I am no doctor but I can tell you what I have heard on the Facebook group I belong to.  Personally, I had no problem switching from tablets to liquid.  I have heard that some people have been sensitive to it though.  The advice on the group is to stick at it and stabilize and then do a slow taper.  I can understand this would be extremely hard.  So you need to choose between trying to weigh them or sticking it out until it stabilisers.  You are using the same brand of Mirtazpine for the liquid aren't you?  I have heard that this can destabilize it too. I hope you can work it out and feel a bit better?

I have been struggling too with stabilising - I have had ongoing brain fog and insomnia.

From my own personal experience, I am not sure what will work for you, I ensure that the tablet has completely dissolved - no grains.  I use a little warm water to really make sure and make sure that it is 15ml of each water and maple syrup. I make sure I double check everything.

4 minutes ago, Kerrijane said:

I am sorry it has been so hard. I am no doctor but I can tell you what I have heard on the Facebook group I belong to.  Personally, I had no problem switching from tablets to liquid.  I have heard that some people have been sensitive to it though.  The advice on the group is to stick at it and stabilize and then do a slow taper.  I can understand this would be extremely hard.  So you need to choose between trying to weigh them or sticking it out until it stabilisers.  You are using the same brand of Mirtazpine for the liquid aren't you?  I have heard that this can destabilize it too. I hope you can work it out and feel a bit better?

I have been struggling too with stabilising - I have had ongoing brain fog and insomnia.

Expand  

4 minutes ago, Kerrijane said:

Expand  

Just now, Kerrijane said:

From my own personal experience, I am not sure what will work for you, I ensure that the tablet has completely dissolved - no grains.  I use a little warm water to really make sure and make sure that it is 15ml of each water and maple syrup when using a 30mg tablet. I make sure I double check everything. 

1 minute ago, Kerrijane said:

From my own personal experience, I am not sure what will work for you, I ensure that the tablet has completely dissolved - no grains.  I use a little warm water to really make sure and make sure that it is 15ml of each water and maple syrup. I make sure I double check everything.

HI @Kerrijane thanks for the reply. I use the same tablets yes. My symptoms seemed to have dropped off some although I still cant sleep. Something feels different about it all but I guess thats to be expected when making a change. I shall stick with it for the time being and see what happens. How are things going? Are you struggling to stabalize from the cuts your making?

Here for help.

5 minutes ago, Kerrijane said:

I use a little warm water to really make sure

I'll try this, thanks! good idea. There were grains in my first mixture.

Here for help.

maybe you can sleep tomorrow if your symptoms drop - but these things can be unpredictable. I went up and down a bit in my ignorance but I am holding at 8.25 now.

1 minute ago, jonwil said:

I'll try this, thanks! good idea. There were grains in my first mixture.

You need to make sure you get rid of grains and I forgot to check when I first started doing it too. I didn’t use warm water to being with but do now.

Where are you located. I am in Adelaide, Australia so day time here.

2 minutes ago, Kerrijane said:

maybe you can sleep tomorrow if your symptoms drop - but these things can be unpredictable. I went up and down a bit in my ignorance but I am holding at 8.25 now.

I hope things level out for you soon. Thanks for your help, it really is much appreciated. 

Here for help.

1 minute ago, Kerrijane said:

Where are you located. I am in Adelaide, Australia so day time here.

I'm in Newcastle (England not Oz)

Here for help.