My Long-Term SSRI Usage Withdrawal Survival Story

• Administrator

@Iowan Thank you for sharing your success story with us all! Congrats on making it through and best wishes for continued success!

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

Thank you Lord for this testimony and your faithfulness to this man. May each of us someday have a success story. Until then help us LORD find strength and comfort to persevere🙏✡️

•  Various antidepressants since 1995.Prozac,paxil,lexapro, Wellbutrin.
  •  2004-2021 lexapro 10 mg
  •  2009 added drug Wellbutrin 150mg, 2016  bupropian300 mg XL
  • 2019  start taper June bupropion 300 mg. Now resuming micro dose taper.2.3% reduction. At 51.8 mg.Hope to increase reduction. 
  • 2021 January 29 liquid lexapro done by compound pharmacist.
  • 2021 February 4 began  lexapro taper 
  • 2022 April 7 start 10 mg fluoxetine as bridge.
  • hyperbolic taper. Liquid lexapro 6.60, holding. 
  • 2022 April 27 dropped to 5 mg fluoxetine holding.
  • held all taper from March 2023- January 2024
  • working with mark Horowitz, a taper coach, and doing acupuncture and chiropractic work.
  • SUPPLEMENTS- Vit d3, B-12, Magnesium 200 mg, Ashwagandha 475mg, lithium  oratate 5 mg

Thanks so much for sharing hope

2014 - 2023: Medicated successfully with 150mg of sertraline for panic and generalised anxiety disorder. No adverse reaction or issues with sleep throughout. March 2023: Had adverse reaction to sertraline after a night out. Doctor diagnosed suspected serotonin syndrome and believe drink may have been spiked. Taken off cold turkey for 7 days for wash out. March 2023: Prescribed 2mg of diazepam x3 PRN per day due to serotonin syndrome reaction.March 2023: Reinstated Sertraline at 50mg. Returned to 150mg over six weeks and stayed at this dose until September 2023. Unfortunately never worked the same so tapered down over to weeks to 25mg.

September 2023: Cross tapered from 25mg Sertraline straight over to 37.5mg venlafaxine. October 2023: Increased venlafaxine to 75 XR. Couldn’t tolerate side effects so switched.December 2023: Switched to propanolol 10mg only and using diazepam sparingly (X2 a month for anxiety). Propanolol made me depressed and tired so stopped this after five doses.December 2023: Switched to 10mg Citalopram. Titrated up to 20mg. Had adverse ‘serotonin syndrome’ like reaction again after using Sudafed nasal spray. Came off cold turkey and 7 day wash out period.

February 2024: Started Pregablin 75mg X2 per day. Couldn’t cope with side effects so stopped cold turkey after five days. Taking 5mg diazepam until side effects went off after a few days.February 2024: Started 5mg of Escitalopram. Had adverse ‘serotonin syndrome’ like reaction after ten days use so came off cold turkey.March 2024: Taking diazepam 5mg to help with serotonin syndrome like reaction to escitalopram for five days.March 2024: Started 7.5mg mirtazapine and titrated up to 15mg. Made me have panic attacks and hypnic jerks so couldn’t sleep after a week of use. Reduced down to 7.5mg over the course of a week and came off cold turkey. No adverse reaction. March 2024: Took one 7.5mg zopiclone to sleep as was worried about reliance on diazepam. Didn’t help sleep.April 2024: Started 30mg duloxetine. Was on for one week and then had serotonin syndrome like reaction and came off cold turkey.April 2024: Went into crisis after last cold turkey triggered SI (never experienced before) and extreme anxiety/panic. Placed under care of NHS Crisis team and Consultant Psych. Taking 10mg diazepam for five days to get over adverse reaction. April 2024: Consultant believed I developed mood disorder (not serotonergic med withdrawal) and prescribed 100mg XR and 25mg IR quetiapine to use three times per day. Side effects were horrible but continued and upped to 200mg XR. Experienced extrapyramidal symptoms (twitching, involuntary movements) so was reduced back to 100mg XR and prescribed 5mg of procyclidine to use twice daily. 25mg made me feel too drowsy so stopped taking and dropped down to 50XR quetiapine.

April 2024: Consultant prescribed 25mg lamotrogine. Took for two weeks but had same reaction that I did to pregablin to came off cold turkey.May 2024: Continued with 50mg XR quetiapine and taking 2mg diazepam sparingly. Researched and found Maudsley Deprescribing book and SA. Told new consultant that I was suffering from withdrawal to serotonergic meds and wasn’t believed. July 2024: In severe withdrawal for 11 weeks with mental and physical symptoms. Unbearable so went to mental health nurse. Have started 0.5mg sertraline making the liquid solution myself. 
July 2024: Four days into reinstatement of Sertraline at 0.5mg.10th July: Stopped Sertraline reinstatement due to agitation. Having to take diazepam 5mg to cope 

12th July: Restarted Sertraline reinstatement at 0.5mg as worked out agitation started before this. 22nd August Updosed sert and felt better so increased to 10mg. Slowly with 0.5mg increased every 4-7 days. Feel like I’ve had kindling activation reaction and completely destabilised again with severe anxiety, depression, insomnia and physical withdrawal symptoms. Reduced to 4mg of sert and taking 25mg IR quetiapine at night. Have taken 5mg diazepam sparingly over past few days as insomnia and anxiety been so severe

• Administrator

Dear Lowan,

Thank you for coming back to write your success story.

It is a blessing and joy to read your post. I'll have a read of your introduction a little later tonight.

Many thanks, Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 8 Feb 2.19mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 2 May 1.83mg, 13 Jun 1.69mg, 25 Jul 1.50mg, 14 Aug 1.46mg, 3 Sep 1.43mg, 10 Sep 1.40mg, 17 Sep 1.37mg, 16 Oct 1.34mg

• 3 weeks later...

@Iowan I’ve read through your intro like twice now. So inspirational. I have a few questions if you don’t mind. Your wave symptoms sound so close to mine.

- Did you continue to take the arsencicum album or the gaia HERBS SystemSupport SleepThru, and did they help?

-Were your waves usually mostly morning symptoms, or did the horrible symptoms last all day at first?

-Any tips on what to eat when your appetite was 0?

-Any tips on surviving those early mornings in early waves with the constant SI & desperation? Did you have akathisia? It sounds like at least internal akathisia.
-If you took a benzo during a wave do you think it made your wave longer?

-How did you hold onto your faith? Mine seems shredded atm. Do you feel like you’re closer or further from God bc of this?

TIA!

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg, May 6 .75 mg; June 6 .7 mg, June 20 .65mg, June 30  .6mg, Jul 24 .55 mg, Oct 17 .5 mg, Dec 5- .45 mg; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg,  April 18- .375 ; April 24- .35; April 29- .3; Jun 12- .25 mg; Jun 28- .2 lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1- long hold, never got better

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05! 
Played around with my dose since Feb & became very unstable w/ extreme acute WD symptoms. Holding @ .06 since May 13.

Taking Magnesium, melatonin, & electrolytes 

@Dee12h

- I didn't continue to take either of them, and I don't believe either helped much if any. Unfortunately, 'Time' seemed to be the best healer for me. If I were to recommend one supplement that I believe has helped to mellow my anxiety, it's "Ashwagandha". I don't believe that I start taking it until well after reaching zero, but IMO, I can tell if I go a couple of days without taking it, for what it's worth.

- Early mornings were the WORST for me. The really bad waves would last all day, but in general it seemed like if I could force myself to function, symptoms would subside more and more as the day went on.

- Anything that will give you your best bang for your buck, and won't make you vomit. The highest caloric and nutritional value per volume. In the end, whatever you can force down and keep down. You NEED to eat.

- Worst thing I did was allow myself to worry about my anxiety and lack of sleep. It created a self-sustaining perpetual loop of anguish. Best thing was letting go and realizing it would eventually pass. Get busy doing anything. e.g. folding laundry, exercise, paid work, writing, etc. Anything I could engage my brain and body in, and get out of my own head and misery. I believe I had akathisia, but was never officially diagnosed.

- Early on, when I was attempting to medicate myself out of waves, I believe I was doing more harm than good. My system was extremely sensitive to medications. I don't think Benzo's did anything good for me, at the very least.

- My faith was at the highest when I was at my lowest. I know in the center of my sole that God carried my sorry ass through the worst of it, because I did not have the strength to do it on my own. I can't explain it, it just know it. Now that I'm 'better', I am more self reliant, similar to how I used to be, and that creates distance between me and God. However my faith is still strong and I still know He saved me. I'd like to find a happy middle ground where I'm closer to God, but retain my inner strength at the same time. It's a balancing act for me now.

1999: Paxil ?? mgai (Paroxetine Hydrochloride) - stopped cold turkey
2001-03: Celexa ?? mgai (Citalopram Hydrobromide) - switched to Lexapro
2003-August 2015: Lexapro 20 mgai (Escitalopram Oxalate) - rapid 5 mgai increment taper down to 0 mgai
December 2015 - January 2016: Short hospital stay for unknown acute AD WD due to rapid taper
January 2016-February 21, 2016: Prozac ?? mgai (Fluoxetine Hcl) and Wellbutrin ?? mgai (Bupropion Hcl) - switched to Lexapro
February 21, 2016-July 22, 2018: Lexapro 10 mgai  - rapid 5 mgai increment taper down to 5 mgai
July 22, 2018-March 17, 2019: Lexapro 5 mgai - endured horrible waves due to rapid taper
March 17, 2019-April 7, 2019: Lexapro 3.226 mgai - endured horrible wave due to rapid taper
April 7, 2019-April 28, 2019: Lexapro 3.548 mgai - updosed to level out
April 28, 2019: Implemented Brass Monkey Slide taper method (2.5% weekly reduction) - IT’S WORKING!!!
September 2, 2020: Lexapro 0.000 mgai / 0 mgpw / 100% Taper COMPLETE!

Best wishes on your recovery. Thank you so much for writing your success story, it helps so many people. Enjoy!!!! 

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!