Jane318: Tapering off Effexor - Struggling at the End

15 hours ago, Tuikea said:

I am on the same dose my doctor only checks TSH. It's complicated 😕 

My former doctor checked only TSH - that is all most M.D.s look at I think, at least here in U.S. and perhaps N.Z. too.   My new doctor has functional medicine cert as well as M.D. so is more informed.  She checks T4, free T4, and Free T3 as well as TSH.  Can you request the extra labs?  It's hard to know what is really going on with just TSH.  My most recent TSH is 4.8, which is high, but down a lot from what it was before I started back on levothyroxine.  Per my doc, goal is 0.5 to 1.5.  So I have a ways to go.  Yes, it is complicated...  I hope you are doing better today.

1985-2010 (est.) - various ADs including Wellbutrin, Elavil, Prozac, Zoloft.  dosages unk.

1991-1992 - stopped AD while to conceive and during pregnancy.  Resumed 1993 (?).

2005 (est.) - tried to stop, severe symptoms.  Resumed meds.

2010 (est) - started Celexa (dose unk)

2016 (est) - started Effexor, working up to 112.5 mg/day.  Stayed at this dose for many years.

2023 - Feb. began linear tapering off Effexor. Switched to hyperbolic tapering in April 2023.  By July 12, 2024 at 1.36 mg / day.

July 13, 2024 - up-dosed to 1.44 mg / day to address severe withdrawal symptoms.  Felt somewhat better by next day; symptoms continue to improve.

Other meds:  75 mcg/day Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism

Supplements:  Vitamin D3 (5,000 IU), Boron, Magnesium Threonate (3 per day of 2000 mg with 145 mg Mg), Vitamin E (every other day), Lugol's iodine (4 drops/day); Omega 3's (currently 1 capsule Krill oil in morning, 2 capsules DHA-1000 Fish oil, one in afternoon and one in evening); Adrenal "cocktail" once or twice per day (– ¾ ts cream of tarter plus ¼ tsp Celtic salt dissolved in water.  Taken with Vitamin C.)

My Intro Topic:  Jane318: Tapering off Effexor - Struggling at the End

Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed.  Jeremiah 17:14a.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Hi @Jane318!  I'm going to follow your thread since I'm tapering Venlafaxine too.  How are you doing currently?  

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but I kindled myself

2024 (Avg. bead count per capsule is 111):  1/1:  -6  |  2/1:  -11  |  3/1:  -16  |   4/1:  -18  |   5/1:  -21   |   6/1  -25 |   7/1  HOLD |   8/1  -29  |   9/7  -33

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

Never give up  Holding On with Patience & Endurance

6 hours ago, Catina7 said:

Hi @Jane318!  I'm going to follow your thread since I'm tapering Venlafaxine too.  How are you doing currently?  

Hello @Catina7 - thank you for reaching out!  I am doing so much better than a month ago before I reinstated to next highest dose.  (I will shortly post an update here, too.)  It wasn't that much of an increase but it was enough to get me off the ledge, for which I am so grateful.  I am now convinced that my earlier, too-fast taper, caught up with me.  The signs were there earlier, if I had been paying attention (and knew what to look for).  I see this as a common thread - tapering too fast ends up in disaster.  

I am now following you too.  (I am pretty new to the site and slowly learning how it works.)  Learning so much from you all, including how difficult it is to get off Venlafaxine, specifically.  Do you have an Introductory Post for me to read and/or other thread you would especially recommend?  Or can you let me know where you are in your venlafaxine de-tox journey?

Thank you again - grateful to have another partner in this.  

1985-2010 (est.) - various ADs including Wellbutrin, Elavil, Prozac, Zoloft.  dosages unk.

1991-1992 - stopped AD while to conceive and during pregnancy.  Resumed 1993 (?).

2016 (est) - started Effexor, working up to 112.5 mg/day.  Stayed at this dose for many years.

2023 - Feb. began linear tapering off Effexor. Switched to hyperbolic tapering in April 2023.  By July 12, 2024 at 1.36 mg / day.

July 13, 2024 - up-dosed to 1.44 mg / day to address severe withdrawal symptoms.  Felt somewhat better by next day; symptoms continue to improve.

Supplements:  Vitamin D3 (5,000 IU), Boron, Magnesium Threonate (3 per day of 2000 mg with 145 mg Mg), Vitamin E (every other day), Lugol's iodine (4 drops/day); Omega 3's (currently 1 capsule Krill oil in morning, 2 capsules DHA-1000 Fish oil, one in afternoon and one in evening); Adrenal "cocktail" once or twice per day (– ¾ ts cream of tarter plus ¼ tsp Celtic salt dissolved in water.  Taken with Vitamin C.)

• Mentor
29 minutes ago, Jane318 said:

I am doing so much better than a month ago before I reinstated to next highest dose.  (I will shortly post an update here, too.)  It wasn't that much of an increase but it was enough to get me off the ledge, for which I am so grateful.  I am now convinced that my earlier, too-fast taper, caught up with me.  The signs were there earlier, if I had been paying attention (and knew what to look for).  I see this as a common thread - tapering too fast ends up in disaster.  

I'm SO happy to hear you're doing better now.  You've gotten down so low in your dose, I'm jealous lol!  I think we've all learned the hard way when our taper was too fast.  I know I certainly did.  I almost didn't make it through.  It's quite a journey, that's for sure.

30 minutes ago, Jane318 said:

can you let me know where you are in your venlafaxine de-tox journey?

Sure!  I am currently tapering from a 37.5 mg XR capsule.  I'm doing no more than 5% every month.   Going very slowly is working out much better for me this time around thank goodness!  If you look at my signature it shows how many beads I'm currently removing each month.  

33 minutes ago, Jane318 said:

Thank YOU!  Yes, it's nice to feel supported.  Glad to have you as well!  :) 

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but I kindled myself

2024 (Avg. bead count per capsule is 111):  1/1:  -6  |  2/1:  -11  |  3/1:  -16  |   4/1:  -18  |   5/1:  -21   |   6/1  -25 |   7/1  HOLD |   8/1  -29  |   9/7  -33

9 hours ago, Catina7 said:

Me too 🥰 The common theme with the 3 of us we are taking thyroid meds? 

Edited by Tuikea
Added

2024 Taper Enlafax (Venlafaxine) 225mg Feb/4 187.5mg Feb/18 150mg Mar/3 112.5mg Mar/17  75mg Mar/31 37.5mg

April/14th 37.5mg crush/.166g 

July/11 13mg/.055g Holding/Anxiety

July/22 13.5mg/.060g updose

July/28 20mg/.080g updose started splitting daily dose in 2 x 12 hour doses

Sept 1st 17mg Sept 28th 9mg

Prescription Meds: Synthroid 75mcg daily

Colecalciferol  1 x 1.25mg monthly 

Supplements: Omega fish oil 3 x2000mg 

2 hours ago, Jane318 said:

Hello @Catina7 - thank you for reaching out!  I am doing so much better than a month ago before I reinstated to next highest dose.  (I will shortly post an update here, too.)  It wasn't that much of an increase but it was enough to get me off the ledge, for which I am so grateful.  I am now convinced that my earlier, too-fast taper, caught up with me.  The signs were there earlier, if I had been paying attention (and knew what to look for).  I see this as a common thread - tapering too fast ends up in disaster.  

I am now following you too.  (I am pretty new to the site and slowly learning how it works.)  Learning so much from you all, including how difficult it is to get off Venlafaxine, specifically.  Do you have an Introductory Post for me to read and/or other thread you would especially recommend?  Or can you let me know where you are in your venlafaxine de-tox journey?

So pleased you are doing better, my small increase helped me too.

❤️

2024 Taper Enlafax (Venlafaxine) 225mg Feb/4 187.5mg Feb/18 150mg Mar/3 112.5mg Mar/17  75mg Mar/31 37.5mg

8 minutes ago, Tuikea said:

...my small increase helped me too.

I am so grateful and relieved!

Brief update on Day 36 since I reinstated to next highest dose.  In sum, I am doing so much better.  I've been able to tackle several long overdue chores and even started a sewing project.  I even had a day or two last week where I felt almost normal for the first time in many, many months - this took me by surprise and I consider it a miracle. 

I will continue to "sit" at this dose for at least another couple more weeks or a month, then re-evaluate.  I'm in no hurry to resume tapering, but don't want to put it off if indications are that I have stabilized, either.  Before I reinstated, I had been doing 5% reduction every two weeks.  When I resume, I plan to do as recommended elsewhere on this site (BrassMonkey?) - 5% per 6 week period- drop 1.25% per week for four weeks, then hold for an additional two weeks.  I am VERY motivated to do all I can to prevent this happening again.

My primary symptoms tend to be:

Physical - Extreme fatigue/weakness; upset stomach/loss of appetite.  I have lost 30+ lb since starting to taper, most of that in the past year or so.  (Which I needed - the challenge will be to keep it off).  Sleep disruption - I can usually fall asleep okay, but if I wake up in the night / early morning, can't get back to sleep.  I rarely feel rested in the morning and it is hard to make myself get up and get going.  Mornings are the hardest time of the day for me emotionally as well.

Psychological / Emotional - depression, emotional numbness; discomfort around other people; self-isolating; feeling of detachment; hopelessness; brain fog (memory / concentration); irritability/short fuse; anhedonia; loss of interest / motivation for things that I used to enjoy.  At my worst - before I reinstated - I was thinking quite a bit about ending my life.  I no longer think about this.

Other changes I made since reinstating:

Tracking symptoms: I now fill out the Daily Checklist each evening to track above symptoms, it's been so helpful.  Also regular journaling.

Meds: I now divide my daily dose to take half in the morning and half in evening.  (Yikes, I was taking all in the a.m., and I don't even take the XR form...). Still preparing my own solutions from ground-up tablets.

Supplement changes: Increased Omega 3's.  Added D-3 per my functional / M.D.'s recommendation.  Shifted my Mg Threonate capsules to afternoon / evening to hopefully help with my fatigue.  These are the only supplements I am taking now - I dropped taurine, melatonin, and a couple other supplements altogether.

Other: Eliminated all alcohol (used to drink wine occasionally).  Cut WAY back on coffee - from one or two large, strong cups per day to a few, weaker cups per week (doesn't seem to affect me); Trying to spend more time in sun for natural Vit D and melatonin production; trying to eat more foods with Vitamin B's (more grass fed beef, liver, nutritional yeast).  Take a long walk most days.

What has helped me get through this:

Support from people and information on this site including how to track my symptoms, learning how I ended up here (too fast tapering), and how to move forward in a safe way; God / Scripture / answered prayers; Learning and working to apply principles of cognitive brain therapy / neurogenesis to support my healing.  For me this includes recognizing negative thoughts and choosing to change my thinking and memorizing Scripture.  Engage in healthy activities / reading to the extent I am able to; trying to re-engage in social activities that I had largely abandoned; taking care to not overdo activities and allowing time to recuperate after busy days; taking time each day to think about / journal things for which I am grateful - includes all that I am learning through this, as painful as it is.

So grateful to you all for your advice / support.  

Great to read you are doing better 💓

1 minute ago, Tuikea said:

Great to read you are doing better 💓

Thank you for your concern & support.  How are you doing?

22 hours ago, Jane318 said:

Thank you for your concern & support.  How are you doing?

I am doing OK, still having withdrawal symptoms like short fuse especially around dinner time probably because I don't like cooking much. I am clenching my jaw so a sure sign of underlying anxiety. I don't think I will be ready to start tapering again at the end of the month like I hoped. It would be so easy to tip the scale in the wrong direction if I don't give myself enough time.

I am reading heaps gathering an understanding I what is happening, that is helping but is frustrating to know this is going to take years to get off from such a low dose.

52 minutes ago, Tuikea said:

I am doing OK, still having withdrawal symptoms like short fuse especially around dinner time probably because I don't like cooking much. I am clenching my jaw so a sure sign of underlying anxiety. I don't think I will be ready to start tapering again at the end of the month like I hoped. It would be so easy to tip the scale in the wrong direction if I don't give myself enough time.

I am reading heaps gathering an understanding I what is happening, that is helping but is frustrating to know this is going to take years to get off from such a low dose.

I am glad you are doing OK - it means you are off the ledge, I think - "OK" is pretty good in our world, isn't it?  It is helpful to recognize the triggers, the times / circumstances that seem especially challenging.  For me, mornings are the worst as well as having to be in a group (like attending church) - I'm working on strategies to deal with those times.

For me, this week is definitely not as good as last, which is not surprising I guess.  Spent most of today in bed, too tired / weak / unmotivated to do anything.  But overall, I am still much better than a month or so ago when I started this topic.

It is interesting that you and I seem to be following similar steps in this journey - I also am reading as much as I can absorb this week about how to taper and how low to go before stopping altogether.  And like you, am frustrated to find out that doing this safely means years more for me, too, even though I am now at a low dose.  I also am concluding that I will not be ready to resume tapering as soon as I had hoped.  Alto said that when she up-dosed in response to bad withdrawal, she stayed there for about five months.  I am not going to be in a hurry as I don't want to end up "there" again.  It's just not worth it.

I've told more than one person that if I had known what this was going to be like, I never would have begun.  But I know this is the right thing to do - just wish I had gone more slowly at the beginning.  I didn't even discover this site until this summer.  But not sure I would have heeded the warnings anyway.  We all want off these drugs!  And we will get there - rushing things will only end up making it take longer, I'm convinced.  Hang in there.

• 4 weeks later...

Brief Update - It is two months (Day 66) since 13 July, when I up-dosed from 1.36 mg to 1.42 mg (next highest dose) per day to address severe withdrawal.  Continuing to maintain at this dose.

I will continue to "sit" at this dose for at least another month, then re-evaluate.  When I resume tapering, I plan to try BrassMonkey's tapering protocol:  10% per 6 week period, in even quarter decrements per week for four weeks, then hold for an additional two weeks, at least.  This is much more gradual than I was doing before.

In general, I am continuing to improve I think, although the degree of change is less drastic than after the first month.  As we all know, it's not linear - definitely some days are better (and worse) than others.  Definitely slump after a busy day or two.

My primary symptoms continue to be as described in Day 36 update above, but most are somewhat milder except for the feelings of detachment and brain fog (memory / concentration).   Especially frustrating is the loss of concentration / focus / brain fog. Hard to read / focus on anything for very long, especially something challenging.  So not able to read much, which I want to do.  So tackling other things that don't require much mental capacity.

Many of above symptoms go with low thyroid function, too.  Besides the meds, trying improve thyroid function through diet and exercise.  Plan to follow up with my M.D. for another thyroid test in a couple months.  

I have been able to push myself to do more things this month and discovered that I was looking forward to some things again after a very long time.  Have been able to accomplish quite a bit more around the house / yard, which is satisfying. 

I am maintaining "Other changes I made since reinstating" per Day 36 update above.  In addition, trying to get off computer at least 2 hours before bedtime now to help with sleep issues.  Trying to establish regular bedtimes, although if I am so tired that I take a nap during the day, this messes with my schedule.  Hard for me to push through that daytime tiredness tho.

Haven't re-started piano lessons - trying to decide when/whether to resume, but try to play through my pieces daily or nearly so.  Did sign up for a one-day watercolor workshop, am enrolled in a a YouTube drawing class, and also enrolled in a couple continuing education classes through the local community college.  Pushed myself to check out the community seniors group and considering some of their activities.  Invited a neighbor for tea.  The socials things are hugely difficult for me, but realize I need to participate in life even when I don't feel like it or enjoy it.  I can still "play the part," and that is probably helpful.

I did have initial consultation with Outro last week, as they are now available in WA state.  Waiting to hear back from them as to whether they would recommend their services for my situation.  I tend to think I am equipped to continue on my own, with support from this site, given my relatively "simple" case and where I am now.   But will let you know what they say.

Continuing in gratitude to you all for your advice / support.  

Edited by Jane318
include sentence re: Outro

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Jane318 said:

I plan to try BrassMonkey's tapering protocol: 

I find it much more tolerable.

I have been able to push myself to do more things this month and discovered that I was looking forward to some things again after a very long time.  Have been able to accomplish quite a bit more around the house / yard, which is satisfying. 

What a great sign! You just need to remember not to overdo it...and the windows and waves pattern.

I did have initial consultation with Outro last week, as they are now available in WA state

I'd be curious to hear more about this.

I tend to think I am equipped to continue on my own, with support from this site, given my relatively "simple" case and where I am now. 

Whilst the service is not available where I am, I've formed the same view...I feel equipped to do it myself with a little support from some wonderful members here.

Warm wishes, Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 8 Feb 2.19mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 2 May 1.83mg, 13 Jun 1.69mg, 25 Jul 1.50mg, 14 Aug 1.46mg, 3 Sep 1.43mg, 10 Sep 1.40mg, 17 Sep 1.37mg

• Mentor
8 hours ago, Jane318 said:

trying to get off computer at least 2 hours before bedtime now to help with sleep issues.

This is a good idea.  Are you making sure you use a blue light filter on your computer?

Keep up the great work!  Thanks for the update.  🤗

8 hours ago, Catina7 said:

This is a good idea.  Are you making sure you use a blue light filter on your computer?

Keep up the great work!  Thanks for the update.  🤗

Thank you for the encouragement!  

thanks for the suggestion - I will look into a blue light filter for my screen again.  I do use tinted computer glasses that are supposed to help with this, but am not consistent about wearing them always.  

Wow I think you are doing really well and good on you for being so patient. 

I wonder if there are any ladies walking clubs near you, it could be a way to get out with others without focusing on socializing.

You could even start one through your church.

1 hour ago, Tuikea said:

Wow I think you are doing really well and good on you for being so patient. 

I wonder if there are any ladies walking clubs near you, it could be a way to get out with others without focusing on socializing.

You could even start one through your church.

Thank you for the encouragement!

Great suggestion - I do have one walking buddy - a lady I met while we were both dog-walking in the park across the street and we meet up about once a week, schedules-permitting, which is nice.

I hope you are doing better / stabilizing / improving as well.  You too have sure been through a lot the last couple months.

Hi Jane318, 

I have read your posts since I am also tapering from Venlafaxine.

I am glad you are feeling better.

I wanted to share with you these Christian guided meditations I recently found during my withdrawal process -

https://www.youtube.com/@AlabasterCo/videos?app=desktop

God bless you and may you continue to heal and prosper!!!

2000-2020 Fluoxetine 20mg

2020-2024 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg

August 14-20, 2024 Venlafaxine XR 25 beads (my 37.5mg XR capsules contain about 40 beads)

August 21-27, 2024 Venlafaxine XR 13 beads (feeling emotional, some brain zaps)

August 28, 2024 stopped Venlafaxine XR (became suicidal; extreme anger and irritability; depression)

September 16-17, 2024 reinstated Venlafaxine XR at 20 beads (felt better but migraines became severe. They had greatly reduced while tapering down)

September 18-19, 2024 reinstated Venlafaxine XR at 5 beads (still feeling better and migraines are better)

On 9/18/2024 at 4:39 AM, Catina7 said:

Are you making sure you use a blue light filter on your computer?

P.S.  I started googling blue light filters and discovered that Windows and my mobile phone both have settings to adjust the displays for evening hours.  So set my PC for evening mode starting at 6 p.m.  and am trying to be more diligent about wearing my blue-light filtering computer glasses when on my PC / phone / iPAD.  So thanks again for this suggestion.  

Am also looking into purchasing some of these bulbs for my home:  https://us.boncharge.com/collections/blue-light-blocking-light-bulbs.  They are pricey, tho.  Have sent them message asking about how many hours they are rated for, waiting for that info then will decide whether I want to make that investment. 

2 hours ago, riclach said:

I wanted to share with you these Christian guided meditations I recently found during my withdrawal process -

https://www.youtube.com/@AlabasterCo/videos?app=desktop  God bless you and may you continue to heal and prosper!!!

@riclach  Thank you so much for your message / encouragement and YouTube links - It helps so much to have these connections with others going through the same thing.  May the Lord bless you as well as you continue to heal!

Thank you! 😊🙏

2000-2020 Fluoxetine 20mg

2020-2024 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg

August 14-20, 2024 Venlafaxine XR 25 beads (my 37.5mg XR capsules contain about 40 beads)

August 21-27, 2024 Venlafaxine XR 13 beads (feeling emotional, some brain zaps)

August 28, 2024 stopped Venlafaxine XR (became suicidal; extreme anger and irritability; depression)

September 16-17, 2024 reinstated Venlafaxine XR at 20 beads (felt better but migraines became severe. They had greatly reduced while tapering down)

September 18-19, 2024 reinstated Venlafaxine XR at 5 beads (still feeling better and migraines are better)