Tapering St. John's Wort

Jasper175

ADMIN NOTE Also see

St. John's Wort (StatPearls)

St. John's Wort and Depression: In Depth from NIH

St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum)

Rapaport 2011 Treatment of minor depression with St. John's Wort  or citalopram: Failure to show benefit over placebo

St. John's wort is an herb that has psychotropic effects. A lot of people think that since it's "natural," they can be cavalier about taking it and going off it. Use search in the Introductions forum for posts about people experiencing withdrawal effects from St. John's wort.

St. John's Wort is not a harmless herbal remedy. It is a a reuptake inhibitor of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine (noradrenaline) as well as a weak monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). It can cause anxiety and sleeplessness. It can conflict with foods (with unpleasant effects similar to that of an MAOI)other antidepressants, and many other drugs).

St.John wort's half-life is about 24-48 hours (peak plasma at 5 hours, induces (speeds up) liver enzyme cyp 3A4), which means if you take it every day over a few weeks, your nervous system will adapt to it and you will need to taper off to avoid withdrawal effects.

St. John's wort is available without a prescription, as capsules, tablets, and liquids of varying strengths -- the dosage is not standardized and the strength may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer (even if they say they're using standardized herb). It does not seem to be as strong as the synthetic antidepressants, but it's wise to taper it all the same.

Because it's an herb and the strength of dosage is unpredictable, it is impossible to be certain about a tapering schedule.

• If you are taking capsules, you may wish to switch to tablets or liquid of the equivalent strength for easier tapering.
  • Tablets may be split into quarters. A reduction of one quarter per week of your total daily dose may be sufficiently gradual.
  • To taper liquid St. John's wort liquid, take fewer drops. For example, if you're taking 7 drops a day, take 6 instead, reducing by 1 drop per day every 5 days or so.

If at any time, you feel odd, stop tapering and let the symptoms go away. If they do not lessen over a week, I might restore a quarter-tablet or a drop and figure out how to make smaller reductions, perhaps over longer intervals.

About someone who was taking 450mg St John's Wort for a year:

On 3/14/2014 at 12:30 AM, JanCarol said:

Well, first 2 weeks of taper, he was at 25% reduction.  We found some tablets, easier to break than capsules.  

He says taper is going well, in spite of all the cortisone reaction and other stuff (I may ask him to hold at 50%, because it has been intense, exhausting, and tiring) he tapered to 50% this week.  

So far, quite smooth.  I would say (unless SJW causes hiccups) easy going.  I also hope for no rebound withdrawal after some unspecified lapse of time - but I'm not gonna mention it to him unless it happens.  (for the story of hubby's cortisone shot, see my intro thread, page 5).

Goodness,   I never know what is wrong with me but no SSRI ever worked, and now I figured why not try St John’s...

3 weeks in and i feel manic and acid brain.  Just had a bit of depersonalization.

If only 3 weeks at 900 daily can I just stop?

Edited by Altostrata
updated

• Administrator

If I were you, Jasper, I'd reduce by 25% and see how that feels.

Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2014 at 3:39 AM, Altostrata said:

Since you've already got withdrawal symptoms, I would reinstate perhaps 500mg a day -- your nervous system might have adjusted somewhat to a lower dose -- stabilize for a month or two, and then taper.

You can probably get St. John's Wort in lower doses and cut up the tablets so you're tapering by small amounts, such as 25mg.

We have had people here who got St. John's Wort in liquid drops and tapered using the liquid.

General information about St. John's Wort here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/652-st-johns-wort-hypericum-perforatum/

Note: St. John's Wort is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). If you are taking it, you may have odd reactions to a substance called tyramine in some foods. You may wish to go on a restricted diet for MAOIs http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/maois/faq-20058035

Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum http://tinyurl.com/3o4k3j5

and let us know your progress.

Hi. 

I know this is an old thread but I was reading about St Johns wort. As I cant get any relief from my depression, I will try St Johns wort. My question is if St Johns wort are as "potent" as MAOI antidepressants, when it comes to being carefull with tyramine in foods? I hope not because I think its my last hope to ease my depression. I think its related to withdrawing zopiclone but Im really not sure anymore. Mabye both. Have had depression before (before benzo). 

Thanks

Zopiclon 2013 and still. 

Oxazepam (Serax) May 2017- sept 2018. Jumped up and down 20-25 mg, started to have interdose w/d in Jan 2018.

Tapered out Oxazepam (a bit fast by first 50 % then 25%) from 30 july 2018, stopped oct 14, 2018. Felt awfull, many w/d symtoms. Eased up slowly. 

Tapering Zopiclone.

From about 12.5 mg usually (some nights 12 mg)

Tapering : 9 dec - 26 dec 11 mg

27 dec - - 10 mg

Having anxiety day time and depression (almost the other horrible w/d from Oxazepam is gone). Anxeity comes around noon and go away at around 8 pm that was the pattern before tapering Z. 

Take Magnesium citrat 120 mg

Ecitalopram 2016 about 7 month, and 2017 may-oct 2017.

Lyrica sept 2016-january 2017. No w/d when CT. 

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks. Do you mean they had bad reactions when trying them in withdrawal ?  Ive only read about some people here taking them so its hard to know. Some good reactions too.

I guess people react bad on ADs too. I guess they are suppose to be safer than AD. In Sweden its approwed by MPA

Zopiclon 2013 and still. 

Oxazepam (Serax) May 2017- sept 2018. Jumped up and down 20-25 mg, started to have interdose w/d in Jan 2018.

Tapered out Oxazepam (a bit fast by first 50 % then 25%) from 30 july 2018, stopped oct 14, 2018. Felt awfull, many w/d symtoms. Eased up slowly. 

Tapering Zopiclone.

From about 12.5 mg usually (some nights 12 mg)

Tapering : 9 dec - 26 dec 11 mg

27 dec - - 10 mg

Having anxiety day time and depression (almost the other horrible w/d from Oxazepam is gone). Anxeity comes around noon and go away at around 8 pm that was the pattern before tapering Z. 

Take Magnesium citrat 120 mg

Ecitalopram 2016 about 7 month, and 2017 may-oct 2017.

Lyrica sept 2016-january 2017. No w/d when CT. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy