anuser1012: Is it possible that I dont feel any withdrawy symptoms?

anuser1012

Hello. I am on latuda 80mg + lithium 600mg for years, before even higher doses. After a lot of therapy, I feel can manage my emotions and feelings much better than before. Ive been tappering for 2 weeks. Is it possible that I dont feel no side effects at all tappering latuda? i dont drink, smoke etc or am too stressed

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

2016 - 2019 Latuda 160mg, Lithium 900mg (aprox.), depakote,  metformin 750mg, glyxambi, insulin (20u/daily),

2019 - 2023 Latuda 160mg, Lithium 900mg (aprox.),  metformin 750mg, glyxambi

2023 - 2024 Latuda 80mg, Lithium 600mg (aprox.), metformin 750mg, glyxambi

2024 Latuda 80mg, Lithium 600mg (aprox.), metformin 750mg, glyxambi, Rosucor/Omega 3, D vitamin and multivitamin, creatine and whey

Today - metformin 750mg, glyxambi, Rosucor/Omega 3, D vitamin and multivitamin, creatine and whey

• Emonda changed the title to anuser1012: Is it possible that I dont feel any withdrawy symptoms?

Hi @anuser1012, and welcome to SA!  We are a community of volunteers providing peer support in the tapering of psychiatric medications, and their associated withdrawal syndromes.  

I know you have been given a warning by Emonda, but if you could please complete your drug signature, we would really appreciate it, as it helps us know your history at a glance each time we visit your thread.  Please include all drugs you have taken, dosages, and dates to the best of your recollection.  Also any supplements you are taking.  To do this, please click on the following link, fill in the box with your information, and click done.  That's it!  You can use my signature below as an example. 

Your drug signature

You say you have been tapering for two weeks.  How have you been tapering?  Here at SA, we recommend tapering at a rate of no more than 10% of the current dose, no more often than every four weeks.  So as an example- 10mg-9mg-8.1mg-7.3mg, and so on. This is called hyperbolic tapering, and it is designed to minimize withdrawal symptoms.  Your journey will continue to be much easier if you taper this way.  You can read more about the importance of tapering this way here:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

In an answer to your question, yes, it is perfectly possible to taper and feel no withdrawal effects.  Some people are very lucky this way.  In your case, however, I think it's just very early days, and it's still very possible you are going to encounter some withdrawal along the way.  Typically, withdrawal does tend to happen to long-term users of these medications, because our bodies have adapted physiologically to the presence of the drugs, and it can take a long time for the body to undo all these changes.  Read more here about how these drugs affect the brain and body:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

What is happening in your brain?

Since you are taking two drugs, I want to caution you that it is best to taper one drug at a time, typically starting with the drug that is more activating for you.  In your case, I'm not sure that one drug is more activating than the other- they both have similar side effect profiles, so you are probably fine to continue tapering the Latuda first.  Read more here about choosing which drug to taper first:

Taking Multiple Psych Drugs?  Which Drug to taper first?

In order to prepare you for the possibility of withdrawal, please refer to the following checklist of typical withdrawal symptoms.  It is a good idea to start a symptom journal, to keep close track of your journey, and help with troubleshooting, should problems arise.  

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

We do have a great deal of advice on this site regarding non-drug methods of coping with symptoms, but I don't want to overwhelm you with information, since you aren't experiencing any symptoms at this point.  But please don't hesitate to keep us updated on your journey, and we're happy to help you out with symptom management if/when symptoms arise. 

You are doing a few things well so far- we do advise that, while tapering, it is best to avoid alcohol, caffeine, recreational drugs, nicotine.  Keeping stress low is advisable as well- stress will exacerbate withdrawal.  Healthy diet, adequate hydration and gentle exercise are also strongly suggested to manage symptoms and for overall health.  We only recommend two supplements here on SA- Magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids.  Do be advised, however, it is common to develop sensitivities to all sorts of things while tapering- medications, supplements, and even foods.  If you choose to introduce anything new, included the recommended supplements, start with a low dose to see how you react, and increase slowly.  Even supplements you have taken for a long time can become problematic- this is where the symptom journal is helpful- keeping track of these things can help you identify the root cause of problems a lot quicker.  

In summary, I'm happy to hear you are feeling fine so far, but be mindful that it is early days, and symptoms may very well pop up at any time over the next few months.  Taper at a rate of no more than 10% of your current month's dose no more frequently than every 4 weeks in order to give yourself the best shot of getting off these drugs with as few symptoms as possible.  Taper only one drug at a time, and start a symptom journal to make troubleshooting easier as you proceed.  

And of course, keep us updated!  This is your introduction topic- every member gets one intro topic.  Please post questions, comments and updates here, but don't hesitate to explore the forum, and engage with other members- it's really helpful to have a community supporting you if things get tough.  And congratulations on making the decision to taper!  I'm looking forward to following your journey!❤️‍🩹

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2009- Daughter born 🥰 Post partum depression/psychosis- no meds taken.

2016- Back on escitalopram due to job change/anxiety

2022- Severe covid infection- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN, July 22 8.2mg esc. 2.0mg LDN. July 29 8.1mg esc. 2.0mg LDN. Aug. 24- 8.0mg Esc. 2.0mg LDN.  Aug. 30 7.9mg esc.  Sept. 6 7.8mg esc.  Sept. 13 7.7mg esc.

Supplements/other meds: Vitamin D, B12, Claritin, HRT

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME!  FEEL ONLY TAG ME FOR URGENT QUESTIONS!  Thank you!

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

Hello, I've written my signature.

Last time I was on 300mg of lithium and had a problem. Some kind of derealization. But before tapering I was on a good sleep schedule waking 5 am, suddently at the same time of tapering, i was sleeping 5 am because of college being during night. I suspect this contributed.

This time my strategy is sleeping a lot, resting as much as possible. I also not tapped drugs exactly. My doctor prescribed neozine up until 100mg daily. So If I feel bad or sleep I take it and go sleep. I also have emergency latuda because last time I felt bad and had the idea to starting taking it again, after around 5 days I was good again. So I am using neozine and have emergency latuda. I quit cold turkey from 80mg latuda lithium 600mg simply because i cant buy it anymore now and I decided to save it in case of need.

2016 - 2019 Latuda 160mg, Lithium 900mg (aprox.), depakote,  metformin 750mg, glyxambi, insulin (20u/daily),

2024 Latuda 80mg, Lithium 600mg (aprox.), metformin 750mg, glyxambi, Rosucor/Omega 3, D vitamin and multivitamin, creatine and whey

Today - metformin 750mg, glyxambi, Rosucor/Omega 3, D vitamin and multivitamin, creatine and whey

Hi @anuser1012,

So you aren't tapering at all?  You stopped your medications cold turkey?  This is really not advisable, as it can be severely destabilizing to your nervous system.  You may feel ok now, but you are at a high risk of developing protracted withdrawal syndrome, which could last many months, even years.  Not saying this to scare you, but to make sure you are making informed decisions.  We also strongly advise against using other psychiatric medications to deal with the withdrawal effects of psychiatric medications- this is a pathway to further destabilization, and not to mention that you are creating a situation where you may end up having to taper yet another drug in the future (and go through withdrawal again).  So I would strongly advise you to avoid the neozine.  It may help short term, but it will make things significantly worse in the long term. 

I think you should probably go back and read the two links I provided to you above on how these drugs remodel your brain to understand why tapering slowly is so important.  You can read our protracted withdrawal thread here:

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome)

I also want to warn you that each time you start and stop a medication with a rapid taper or cold turkey, withdrawal gets worse with each subsequent stop.  Sadly, I have learned this one from experience.  So going on again off again with the Latuda is going to make it harder for you down the road, if you start it again.  

Your doctor will not tell you any of this because I can count on one hand the number of doctors on this planet who really understand psychiatric drug withdrawal.  Most doctors have been convinced by the pharmaceutical companies that withdrawal is mild and short-lived.  Sadly, many on this forum know better.  I, myself, was in protracted withdrawal for seven years after my last cold turkey stop- that's why I'm doing it much slower this time around.  

If you have only just stopped your medications, you can restart them and taper by the hyperbolic method recommended above.  It's entirely up to you- it's your body!  I just want to make sure you have all the information that you need to make an informed choice.  This should be your doctor's job, however when it comes to psychiatric medications, we can't count on our doctors to provide the information that those of us going through it know best.  

If you want to see some first hand accounts of the suffering these drugs can cause with rapid tapering, look up Dr. Mark Horowitz and Angie Peacock on YouTube.  They are among the foremost experts producing content online at the moment.  It will give you a better idea of what healing actually looks like. 

Best of luck to you, whatever you choose!  We can certainly help with coping strategies for withdrawal symptoms along the way. 

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin, zopiclone and escitalopram over one month to get pregnant.  Withdrawal hell for many years.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- March-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  April- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 1- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN. May 15- 9.0mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  June 12- 8.5mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 8- Brassmonkey micro taper started.  8.4mg escitalopram, 1.5mg LDN.  July 15- 8.3mg esc, 1.5mg LDN.  July 18 8.3mg esc, 2.0mg LDN, July 22 8.2mg esc. 2.0mg LDN. July 29 8.1mg esc. 2.0mg LDN. Aug. 24- 8.0mg Esc. 2.0mg LDN.  Aug. 30 7.9mg esc.  Sept. 6 7.8mg esc.  Sept. 13 7.7mg esc.

I am not a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  This is not medical advice, but based on personal experience.  Please consult a medical professional.

your comment makes me worried. I had to tape it because i didnt have money anymore, so it was an extreme cause. its been almost 20 days and I feel well. I am trying to rest as much as possible and no stress, no emotions. I didnt mention in the post but Ive done more than 10 years of therapy, I am other person then when I started latuda. I can deal with my emotions and perceptions much more better now, in a drastic amount of change.

2 hours ago, anuser1012 said:

your comment makes me worried. I had to tape it because i didnt have money anymore, so it was an extreme cause. its been almost 20 days and I feel well. I am trying to rest as much as possible and no stress, no emotions. I didnt mention in the post but Ive done more than 10 years of therapy, I am other person then when I started latuda. I can deal with my emotions and perceptions much more better now, in a drastic amount of change.

If you can't afford your medications, that is definitely something to speak with your doctor about.  Often they can get samples, or perhaps guide you in applying for compassionate use, depending on the drug company.  This would allow you to taper much slower.  If this is not possible, then there is absolutely no point in worrying about it.  Yes, things might get difficult, but if you work on some non-drug coping mechanisms, it's not impossible to get through it.  I had seven years of withdrawal, including a psychotic break after the birth of my daughter when I last stopped my meds cold turkey.  I got through it medication free.  It was not easy, but I was able to do it.  You have a great base knowledge on dealing with the emotional ups and downs that can happen in withdrawal with 10 years of therapy under your belt.  People are often surprised by the intensity of withdrawal symptoms when they do come up, so I want you to be prepared.  Familiarize yourself with the following daily checklist of withdrawal symptoms to ensure you are fully aware of what can happen.  There are both emotional and physical withdrawal symptoms that you may have to cope with, so it would be good to prepare yourself for what may be to come.  And do start keeping that symptom journal- it really does help in identifying patterns.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Also it would be good to start practicing mindfulness and meditation, and other non-drug methods of coping.  It's good to get in the habit of doing these things when you are not experiencing withdrawal symptoms, because if you do start to encounter some withdrawal, then you have adopted some healthy ways of coping with your symptoms, preventing you from having to return to the medications.  Here is are the links to our coping technique threads, but by no means is this a complete list- you may find some of your own ways of coping too.  I find I feel great while swimming, and lately I have used painting as a distraction!

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

"Change the channel" - dealing with cognitive symptoms

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

Like I said- you may very well be one of the lucky ones who don't experience any withdrawal.  That's wonderful if you are, but it's a good idea to prepare yourself, just in case you aren't.  These symptoms could pop up anytime in the next year to 18 months- you are still in the early days.  Many people have trouble around the 6-8 month mark. 

Again, none of this is meant to scare you, but to help you prepare for what may happen.  Success in getting off of these drugs and staying off of them is much more likely with good preparation and hard work.  Keep us posted on how you are faring!  We're here to help!