Davu: Paxil taper

I’ve been taking Paxil (20mg) since Aug 2023 for anxiety, depression, panic attacks. Felt great on it (except from sexual side effects) and decided to taper end of June 2024. Cut to 10mg and 3 weeks in I feel exhausted, intense intrusive thoughts, occasional anxiety and depression, feel similar to original symptoms but thoughts are more intense. No physical symptoms. Is this withdrawal or return of symptoms? While it is uncomfortable, I still feel it’s manageable on some days

After I feel better I plan to taper slower, any tips on what to do to push through and how long this could last? It’s been a month since cutting a dose so I don’t want to go back on full dose…I feel like I’m back to the state before Paxil :(

Paxil 20mg started Aug 10 2023

Paxil 10mg started June 28 2024 (still on)

Hi, not sure how to add signature to the posts?

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Your first task is to create a drug signature, with the following:

• All current medication you take, the dose you take, when you started the drug, and when you made dose changes
  • All current supplements you take
  • An accurate history of recent drugs, taken in the last 12-24 months
  • Dates for recent should be written as 7 Oct 2023, or Oct 7 2023, or early Oct 2023, or mid Oct 2023
  • A history of drugs taken 24 months ago and beyond - if applicable
  • Dates for historical drugs can simply be listed as start and stop years
  • Please do not use 07/10/23 // 10/07/23 as this is intepreted differently around the world

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.

Not currently active

Taper calculator spreadsheet

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - Apr 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 2 year 5 month hold, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 Mar 2024, Start tapering - 24 Apr 2024, reached 52.5mg before crashing hard 13 Aug 2024 - reinstate back to 58mg and hold - tapered too fast.

Current dose: 58mg  (1 Sep 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin C

• Erimus changed the title to Davu: Paxil taper

You are currently tapering too fast. We recommend no more than 10% of your current dose each month, in order to reduce withdrawal symptoms. E.g. 10mg --> 9mg --> 8.1mg --> 7.29mg

I suggest you hold for the coming weeks and months until your nervous system stabilises.

Here are a few of the most useful links:

--------Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ--------

Micro tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

--------From the Symptoms and Self-Care Forums--------

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hypersensitivity and Kindling

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Not currently active

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - Apr 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021, 2 year 5 month hold, 55mg - 23 Feb 2024, 60mg - 20 Mar 2024, Start tapering - 24 Apr 2024, reached 52.5mg before crashing hard 13 Aug 2024 - reinstate back to 58mg and hold - tapered too fast.

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin C

13 hours ago, Davu said:

After I feel better I plan to taper slower, any tips on what to do to push through and how long this could last? It’s been a month since cutting a dose so I don’t want to go back on full dose…I feel like I’m back to the state before Paxil

Hi Davu, you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from too fast paxil taper. It may take a while for your CNS te become stabile again. This probably needs a few months. Allow your body this time to recover and stabilize and you will notice in time symptoms will subside in a windows and waves pattern like Erimus mentioned above. That's why it seems managable at some days whereas other days are very challenging.

The wd symptoms may resemble your original symptoms but are not. When you have become really stabile at 10mg we will guide you through further taper. In the meantime read links above for good frame of reference.

Fishoil tablets and/or magnesium may alleviate withdrawal symptoms. Start with one at low dose and evaluate first since your CNS has become volatile from too fast taper. Other than these do not add anything new for now.

For now,

Bye Sebas

• 46 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Had been building up for 4 years to Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).
  • 14/7/2024 8.4 mg
  • No supplements, strict diet
14 hours ago, Sebas said:

Hi Davu, you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from too fast paxil taper. It may take a while for your CNS te become stabile again. This probably needs a few months. Allow your body this time to recover and stabilize and you will notice in time symptoms will subside in a windows and waves pattern like Erimus mentioned above. That's why it seems managable at some days whereas other days are very challenging.

The wd symptoms may resemble your original symptoms but are not. When you have become really stabile at 10mg we will guide you through further taper. In the meantime read links above for good frame of reference.

Fishoil tablets and/or magnesium may alleviate withdrawal symptoms. Start with one at low dose and evaluate first since your CNS has become volatile from too fast taper. Other than these do not add anything new for now.

For now,

Bye Sebas

Thank you so much!

Hi, quick question, I’m a little more then a month in since taper and still feeling symptoms (worst intrusive thoughts and depression). My dr thinks I should go back to the full dose and maybe taper differently in 1-2 months. What do you suggest would be better? I’m also planning a pregnancy so kind of don’t want to be stuck tapering again from 20mg. My symptoms are uncomfortable but sometimes manageable so I’m torn what to do

It's been just over a month since your cut, which is still early days in the process of stabilisation. The process of tapering is slow, so if your plan is to be off medication before pregnancy I think you will struggle.

Not currently active

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin C

Understand. This might be a question for the doctors but do you know of cases of people who’ve been on medication and slowly tapering while pregnant? How have their experiences been? I don’t want to rush the process but also not wait another 2 years to finish to be pregnant as it can be an unpredictable process. Really appreciate the support

4 hours ago, Davu said:

Understand. This might be a question for the doctors but do you know of cases of people who’ve been on medication and slowly tapering while pregnant? How have their experiences been? I don’t want to rush the process but also not wait another 2 years to finish to be pregnant as it can be an unpredictable process. Really appreciate the support

There have been several lawsuits regarding paxil birth defects.

For example see https://kirkendalldwyer.com/areas-of-practice/pharmaceutical-medical-injury/paxil-lawsuit/#:~:text=Paxil Birth Defect Lawyer&text=Based on the evidence presented,cases for approximately %241 billion

Given the potency and experiences of this drug i would not recommend anyone to become pregnant during the use of paxil (and pass this drug<s risks> on to their kid). 

7 hours ago, Davu said:

My dr thinks I should go back to the full dose and maybe taper differently in 1-2 months. What do you suggest would be better?

Doctors have no clue about withdrawal symptoms and often mistake them for relapse. Give it more time and push through like many of us. You will need perseverance but you'll eventually be glad you stabilised at 10mg in stead of 20 mg. Certainly when goal is to become pregnant within a couple of years. Think midterm strategy.

Given you have been on paxil for a relatively short term you should be able to stabilise within months. When windows successively start to appear you will know you are on the right track for recovery.

Bye Sebas

• 46 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Had been building up for 4 years to Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).
  • 14/7/2024 8.4 mg
  • No supplements, strict diet

Thank you for the encouragement! Would you recommend switching to a different drug that is safer and easier to get off later on? The one that even if I get pregnant would pose less risk. I feel like doctors just throw whatever is easier for them to manage

17 hours ago, Davu said:

Thank you for the encouragement! Would you recommend switching to a different drug that is safer and easier to get off later on? The one that even if I get pregnant would pose less risk. I feel like doctors just throw whatever is easier for them to manage

The safest drug is the one your brain is currently dependent on. Stick with what you know and keep persevering.

Not currently active

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin C