8/17/24 Webinar: Neuroplasticity - A Path for Healing from Protracted Withdrawal Symptoms

Catina7

• Mentor

Last chance for tickets!

Info found at this link:

Webinar Info Link

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but I kindled myself

2024 (Avg. bead count per capsule is 111):  1/1:  -6  |  2/1:  -11  |  3/1:  -16  |   4/1:  -18  |   5/1:  -21   |   6/1  -25 |   7/1  HOLD |   8/1  -29  |   9/7  -33

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

Never give up  Holding On with Patience & Endurance

Are you attending, @Catina7

• Paxil Reductions: December 2022: Paxil 40 to 30mg (went OK); May 2023: Paxil 30 to 20 mg (went OK); Oct. 14, 2023: Paxil 15mg; Oct. 21, 2023: Paxil 10mg  (done w/ conventional doc -- bottom dropped out 3 weeks later)
  • Nov. 9, 2023: tried reinstating to 20mg but reacted very badly (probably kindling)
  • November 18, 2023: 7.5ml (15mg equivalent) *switch to manufacturer's liquid, Novatium* Doctor switched me to 7.5ml liquid b/c tiny pills were  splitting unevenly - further destabilization by both switching to liquid and changing dose at same time.
  • November 2023 - present: *severe* withdrawal symptoms, akathisia
  • Jan 6 2024 - stopped coffee and all forms of caffeine. Eliminated dairy, processed foods, sugar.  Gluten intolerant so no gluten. Low fodmap diet for gut issues, daily leafy greens, a lot of protein to avoid blood sugar spikes after meals 
  • Apr 2 2024 - stopped daily propranolol. Think it was interfering with sleep and causing other side effects. 
  • May 23, 2024 - cross taper from mfr. liquid paroxetine to capsule form begun. 5ml liquid + 5 mg capsule (in place of 7.5ml dose of liquid). New doctor (deprescribing type) felt strongly that the mfr. liquid was/is an issue. June 11: 2.5ml liquid + 10mg capsule. June 16, 2024: fully on the capsules now, no liquid. 
  • supplements: magnesium glycinate 150mg;  June 17 2024 : switched to magnesium citrate CALM powder to hopefully get things moving; Aug. 10, 2024 - switched back to magnesium glycinate and taking 200mg

• Mentor
9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Are you attending, @Catina7

I don't think I'll be able to.  Maybe they'll release a recorded version later (?).

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but I kindled myself

2024 (Avg. bead count per capsule is 111):  1/1:  -6  |  2/1:  -11  |  3/1:  -16  |   4/1:  -18  |   5/1:  -21   |   6/1  -25 |   7/1  HOLD |   8/1  -29  |   9/7  -33

3 hours ago, Catina7 said:

Last chance for tickets!

Info found at this link:

Webinar Info Link

I made donation to MIA, waiting for them to send me the link for the webinar.  But website is acting up.  Perhaps too much traffic?  Anyway, I am hoping if I don't get the link I can watch the recording later?

1985-2010 (est.) - various ADs including Wellbutrin, Elavil, Prozac, Zoloft.  dosages unk.

1991-1992 - stopped AD while to conceive and during pregnancy.  Resumed 1993 (?).

2005 (est.) - tried to stop, severe symptoms.  Resumed meds.

2010 (est) - started Celexa (dose unk)

2016 (est) - started Effexor, working up to 112.5 mg/day.  Stayed at this dose for many years.

2023 - Feb. began linear tapering off Effexor. Switched to hyperbolic tapering in April 2023.  By July 12, 2024 at 1.36 mg / day.

July 13, 2024 - up-dosed to 1.44 mg / day to address severe withdrawal symptoms.  Felt somewhat better by next day; symptoms continue to improve.

Other meds:  75 mcg/day Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism

Supplements:  Vitamin D3 (5,000 IU), Boron, Magnesium Threonate (3 per day of 2000 mg with 145 mg Mg), Vitamin E (every other day), Lugol's iodine (4 drops/day); Omega 3's (currently 1 capsule Krill oil in morning, 2 capsules DHA-1000 Fish oil, one in afternoon and one in evening); Adrenal "cocktail" once or twice per day (– ¾ ts cream of tarter plus ¼ tsp Celtic salt dissolved in water.  Taken with Vitamin C.)

My Intro Topic:  Jane318: Tapering off Effexor - Struggling at the End

Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed.  Jeremiah 17:14a.

• Mentor
37 minutes ago, Jane318 said:

I made donation to MIA, waiting for them to send me the link for the webinar.  But website is acting up.  Perhaps too much traffic?  Anyway, I am hoping if I don't get the link I can watch the recording later?

Great!  I hope you're able to attend.  I'm hoping that we'll be able to watch it later, but I don't know for sure.  Maybe you can inquire.  

I was able to get a ticket.  If I get a chance, I will ask about a recording and let everyone know.

1985-2010 (est.) - various ADs including Wellbutrin, Elavil, Prozac, Zoloft.  dosages unk.

1991-1992 - stopped AD while to conceive and during pregnancy.  Resumed 1993 (?).

2016 (est) - started Effexor, working up to 112.5 mg/day.  Stayed at this dose for many years.

2023 - Feb. began linear tapering off Effexor. Switched to hyperbolic tapering in April 2023.  By July 12, 2024 at 1.36 mg / day.

July 13, 2024 - up-dosed to 1.44 mg / day to address severe withdrawal symptoms.  Felt somewhat better by next day; symptoms continue to improve.

Supplements:  Vitamin D3 (5,000 IU), Boron, Magnesium Threonate (3 per day of 2000 mg with 145 mg Mg), Vitamin E (every other day), Lugol's iodine (4 drops/day); Omega 3's (currently 1 capsule Krill oil in morning, 2 capsules DHA-1000 Fish oil, one in afternoon and one in evening); Adrenal "cocktail" once or twice per day (– ¾ ts cream of tarter plus ¼ tsp Celtic salt dissolved in water.  Taken with Vitamin C.)

Excellent webinar.  I will be getting a link to the recording in a follow up email, will share when I receive it.   Key takeaway: “The ability of the brain to heal is practically limitless.”  Here are my other key points:

Neuroplasticity: A Path for Healing from Protracted Withdrawal Symptoms 

A panel on recovering from protracted psychiatric drug withdrawal using neuroplasticity, featuring inspiring stories and useful strategies.

Protracted withdrawal syndrome.  Mad In America refers to this syndrome as “…Drug Dysregulation Syndrome,”  because it is not related to withdrawal.  Rather, it is related to neurological brain injury, whether from drug use, past trauma, or other.  However, practicing these strategies prior to / during tapering to ameliorate our body’s response to withdrawal.  Tools to help us respond in a healthily protective way to support healing.

Ben Ahrens - has TED talk – website. https://www.re-origin.com/

The brain’s priorities

1.      Survival

2.      Efficiency – learns from the past to protect us in the future. 

Past stress, how we have processed it… high allostatic load.  Cause brain to focus more on survival.  Negativity bias.

How to use neuroplasticity to heal.  Three principles for healing – identification, interruption, replacement

1.      Have awareness of what state our body is in.  And having a way to interrupt negative states, such as extreme stress, tension.  Otherwise, we “accumulate” the impacts, such as depressed immune system, hyper-sensitivity, etc.  allostatic stress load - It is essentially the amount of stress you are experiencing, whether it be emotional or physical.

2.      Replace negative pattern with a new pattern.  Something more calming, smoothing.

3.      Science of small wins – a way to reward ourselves incremental steps.

“The ability of the brain to heal is practically limitless.”

Choose to invest our attention on positive things versus negative / fearful.

Kay Loveland.

Limbic vs parasympathetic brain states.

What helped – A lot of petting of her dogs, Acupuncture, meditation, others.

“Re-Origin” program - https://www.re-origin.com/program

·         Visualization of calm scenes – to reset limbic system.

·         “Short form”

·         Small incremental steps

Gustav F.

Put “protracted withdrawal syndrome” away.  Learned response from repeated exposure to fearful / stressful / traumatic experiences.  Even fear of next tapering.  Focus on re-training the mind. Understanding that prior emotional trauma was driving these responses. 

• Mentor
2 minutes ago, Jane318 said:

Excellent webinar.  I will be getting a link to the recording in a follow up email, will share when I receive it.   Key takeaway: “The ability of the brain to heal is practically limitless.”  Here are my other key points:

Neuroplasticity: A Path for Healing from Protracted Withdrawal Symptoms 

A panel on recovering from protracted psychiatric drug withdrawal using neuroplasticity, featuring inspiring stories and useful strategies.

Protracted withdrawal syndrome.  Mad In America refers to this syndrome as “…Drug Dysregulation Syndrome,”  because it is not related to withdrawal.  Rather, it is related to neurological brain injury, whether from drug use, past trauma, or other.  However, practicing these strategies prior to / during tapering to ameliorate our body’s response to withdrawal.  Tools to help us respond in a healthily protective way to support healing.

Ben Ahrens - has TED talk – website. https://www.re-origin.com/

The brain’s priorities

1.      Survival

2.      Efficiency – learns from the past to protect us in the future. 

Past stress, how we have processed it… high allostatic load.  Cause brain to focus more on survival.  Negativity bias.

How to use neuroplasticity to heal.  Three principles for healing – identification, interruption, replacement

1.      Have awareness of what state our body is in.  And having a way to interrupt negative states, such as extreme stress, tension.  Otherwise, we “accumulate” the impacts, such as depressed immune system, hyper-sensitivity, etc.  allostatic stress load - It is essentially the amount of stress you are experiencing, whether it be emotional or physical.

2.      Replace negative pattern with a new pattern.  Something more calming, smoothing.

3.      Science of small wins – a way to reward ourselves incremental steps.

“The ability of the brain to heal is practically limitless.”

Choose to invest our attention on positive things versus negative / fearful.

Kay Loveland.

Limbic vs parasympathetic brain states.

What helped – A lot of petting of her dogs, Acupuncture, meditation, others.

“Re-Origin” program - https://www.re-origin.com/program

·         Visualization of calm scenes – to reset limbic system.

·         “Short form”

·         Small incremental steps

Gustav F.

Put “protracted withdrawal syndrome” away.  Learned response from repeated exposure to fearful / stressful / traumatic experiences.  Even fear of next tapering.  Focus on re-training the mind. Understanding that prior emotional trauma was driving these responses. 

I'm so glad you were able to attend.  Thanks for sharing these tidbits of great information!   👍 💜 😁

Here is link to the recording:  

On 8/8/2024 at 12:25 AM, Emonda said:

I had stomach issues with Lexapro. Those issues were far worse issues with Sertraline.

You should put both your medications into the drug interaction checker (google it) and see what you learn when you combine Lexapro and Wellburtin. It is a nightmare for sure and cannot believe they are saying this is a magic drug combo for many. 

I'd be looking for a better-informed doctor.- done! 

Did you revert from 5mg every second day to 2.5mg every day = the same 5mg every second day? I am now doing 2.5 each day

Or, have you effectively doubled your dose and gone to 5mg every day?

It'd be good if you added this info to your signature.

Wellbutrin 300XL 2008-2016 stopped with taper 

Lexapro 10 mg 11/2022- 1/23 

Lexapro 5mg 1/23 - present 

Wellbutrin 150 mg May 2023 - present