Chez

Chez

Hi there

What an awesome site! So wish I had found it 3 months ago. After battling the most awful withdrawal symptoms coming off CymGen (clone of Cymbaltha) I had a panic attack on Sunday that ended up in Casulty. Now I am back on the meds :((

Thank you for such an informative site xx

30 years of antidepressants;

2008 - 2010 Cymbalta 60 mg

2010 - June 2012 CymGen (clone of Cymbalta ); brazapam & stilnox

Stopped cold turkey when diagnosed with drug induced liver failure due to taking CymGen

Was on 5-htp until panic attack

Now on Ativan 1mg; Lexamil 10mg & Urbanol 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you had to go through this episode before finding us.

Since you went back on a full dose of the meds just this week, it's probably wise to stabilize there before tapering off. There is lots of information on this site for tapering off with minimal discomfort and you'll find most participants to be helpful, gentle, and supportive.

Please tell us more about your experience when you feel up to it and add your drug history to your signature: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/ (instructions)

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Chez,

I'm new here too. Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time too.

Withdrawal is awful. I'm glad I found this site too.

Take care

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes welcome to the forums Chez, sorry you've had a rotten time :(

Lots of information and support here.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

Welcome, Chez.

Does your medication come in capsules with little beads inside? If so, here are some tips for tapering when you're ready to try again http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

Please do let your nervous system settle down first.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Chez,

Welcome!

15+ years on various ADs and combos. Spent 3 yrs tapering (off & on ) off 225mg Effexor venlafaxine) XR & Remeron (mirtazapine). Finished tapering Oct 2014.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you had to go through this episode before finding us.

Since you went back on a full dose of the meds just this week, it's probably wise to stabilize there before tapering off. There is lots of information on this site for tapering off with minimal discomfort and you'll find most participants to be helpful, gentle, and supportive.

Please tell us more about your experience when you feel up to it and add your drug history to your signature: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/ (instructions)

Hi Jemima

Thank you so much for the welcome :) At this stage after 4 months of horrific Cymbalta withdrawal symtoms and the disappointment of having to go back on meds I am at a all time low but thankfully I have now found some support for when I am able to try again...

Stopped cold turkey when diagnosed with drug induced liver failure due to taking CymGen

Hey Chez,

I'm new here too. Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time too.

Withdrawal is awful. I'm glad I found this site too.

Take care

Hi basildev

Thank you for your welcome, hope you are doing okay...

Keep well

Yes welcome to the forums Chez, sorry you've had a rotten time :(

Lots of information and support here.

Hi strawberry17

Thank you, so happy to have found this site with all the information and amazing support system...

Welcome, Chez.

Does your medication come in capsules with little beads inside? If so, here are some tips for tapering when you're ready to try again http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

Please do let your nervous system settle down first.

Hi Altostrata

Thank you for the welcome :)

The CymGen- clone of Cymbalta, medication is in capsule form with little beads inside (went thru 4 months of the most awful withdrawal) but I am now on Leximil 5mg which is a white tablet. I am devastated to be back on the meds but the panic attacks of not being able to breathe then passing out really scared me. Still very anxious :(

Really thankful for finding this site and all you amazing people xx

Chez,

Welcome!

Hi moonbow0202

Thank you :)

• Administrator

Did the Lexamil (escitalopram) eliminate your withdrawal symptoms?

When did you add the Urbanol (clobazam)? Are you taking it every day? Did it help?

It seems to me taking two benzos might be a lot of benzos....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Did the Lexamil (escitalopram) eliminate your withdrawal symptoms?

When did you add the Urbanol (clobazam)? Are you taking it every day? Did it help?

It seems to me taking two benzos might be a lot of benzos....

Hi Altostrata

Neither the Lexamil or Urbanol have eased or eliminated any of my withdrawal symptoms, I am really battling :( The panic attacks are getting worse and am now taking 2mg of Ativan SL!! Do you have any advice for me? Should I go back on the Cymbalta, I had to stop it because it caused drug induced liver failure? I am beyond desperate at this point! Thank you x

Hi...

There are alot of posts on this site about Cymbalta and the members who have gotten off of it, or who are in the process.

Have you been able to settle down and stabilize?

Best regards

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chez,

So sorry you are having a rotten time - i would not want to be restarting cymbalta if you had drug induced liver failure - infact, i would be leary about trying another drug.. If the lexamil is not helping, then i would question taking that as well, but you would have to taper off it.

At this point, you will probably have to look at managing your symptoms the best you can. have you tried taking fish oil?

At the very least, some mindful meditation would be good for your panic attacks.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Hi...

There are alot of posts on this site about Cymbalta and the members who have gotten off of it, or who are in the process.

Have you been able to settle down and stabilize?

Best regards

Hi Nikki

I will definitely look at the posts on Cymbalta but my liver failure started when on went on the Cymbalta clone called CymGen. Over the last 6 months I sleep 2 hours a night (if you can call it sleep); have got restless leg syndrome; nightmares; reliving my dad and brothers death, reliving me being attacked in my home by five armed men; panic attacks where I can't breathe and more :( I have lost my business and am currently unemployed. Sorry for all the doom and gloom....

Couldn't settle down or stabilize so I am now on Ativan, Lexamil and Urbanol - all which I find do nothing but make me more anxious. I wish I had found this site 6 months ago.

Thank you xx

Hi Chez,

So sorry you are having a rotten time - i would not want to be restarting cymbalta if you had drug induced liver failure - infact, i would be leary about trying another drug.. If the lexamil is not helping, then i would question taking that as well, but you would have to taper off it.

At this point, you will probably have to look at managing your symptoms the best you can. have you tried taking fish oil?

At the very least, some mindful meditation would be good for your panic attacks.

Hi Peggy

Thank you for caring, I am taking Omega 3 supplements and also tried the natural 5-htp before I went on Lexamil. Does anyone know if you can take 5-htp and Lexamil together?

I cannot concentrate on anything for long- no longer read books or enjoy my tv programs, nighttime is the worst. Being afraid and the utter fear I feel is the worst symptom.

Sorry for being such a misery....xx

• Administrator

No apologies necessary! We've all suffered from difficulties with these drugs.

Those definitely sound like severe withdrawal symptoms, from the cold-turkey off Cymbalta.

If Cymbalta caused liver damage -- no, definitely do NOT take Cymbalta.

That is an unusual (but very dangerous) adverse reaction. Were you taking other drugs at the same time? It sounds like there must have been a drug-drug conflict.

If Lexamil is not helping, if I were you I'd taper off it. Lexamil itself can cause anxiety and panic attacks. So can 5-HTP. Please don't stimulate your nervous system any more.

How long have you been taking Lexamil? Here's a topic about tapering off escilatopram: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

• Administrator

About our dear friend Cymbalta, from official FDA information at http://www.drugs.com/pro/cymbalta.html

Hepatotoxicity

There have been reports of hepatic failure, sometimes fatal, in patients treated with Cymbalta. These cases have presented as hepatitis with abdominal pain, hepatomegaly, and elevation of transaminase levels to more than twenty times the upper limit of normal with or without jaundice, reflecting a mixed or hepatocellular pattern of liver injury. Cymbalta should be discontinued in patients who develop jaundice or other evidence of clinically significant liver dysfunction and should not be resumed unless another cause can be established.

Cases of cholestatic jaundice with minimal elevation of transaminase levels have also been reported. Other postmarketing reports indicate that elevated transaminases, bilirubin, and alkaline phosphatase have occurred in patients with chronic liver disease or cirrhosis.

Cymbalta increased the risk of elevation of serum transaminase levels in development program clinical trials. Liver transaminase elevations resulted in the discontinuation of 0.3% (92/34,756) of Cymbalta-treated patients. In most patients, the median time to detection of the transaminase elevation was about two months. In placebo-controlled trials in any indication, for patients with normal and abnormal baseline ALT values, elevation of ALT >3 times the upper limit of normal occurred in 1.25% (144/11,496) of Cymbalta-treated patients compared to 0.45% (39/8716) of placebo-treated patients. In placebo-controlled studies using a fixed dose design, there was evidence of a dose response relationship for ALT and AST elevation of >3 times the upper limit of normal and >5 times the upper limit of normal, respectively.

Because it is possible that duloxetine and alcohol may interact to cause liver injury or that duloxetine may aggravate pre-existing liver disease, Cymbalta should not be prescribed to patients with substantial alcohol use or evidence of chronic liver disease.

About our dear friend Cymbalta, from official FDA information at http://www.drugs.com/pro/cymbalta.html

Hepatotoxicity

There have been reports of hepatic failure, sometimes fatal, in patients treated with Cymbalta. These cases have presented as hepatitis with abdominal pain, hepatomegaly, and elevation of transaminase levels to more than twenty times the upper limit of normal with or without jaundice, reflecting a mixed or hepatocellular pattern of liver injury. Cymbalta should be discontinued in patients who develop jaundice or other evidence of clinically significant liver dysfunction and should not be resumed unless another cause can be established.

Cases of cholestatic jaundice with minimal elevation of transaminase levels have also been reported. Other postmarketing reports indicate that elevated transaminases, bilirubin, and alkaline phosphatase have occurred in patients with chronic liver disease or cirrhosis.

Cymbalta increased the risk of elevation of serum transaminase levels in development program clinical trials. Liver transaminase elevations resulted in the discontinuation of 0.3% (92/34,756) of Cymbalta-treated patients. In most patients, the median time to detection of the transaminase elevation was about two months. In placebo-controlled trials in any indication, for patients with normal and abnormal baseline ALT values, elevation of ALT >3 times the upper limit of normal occurred in 1.25% (144/11,496) of Cymbalta-treated patients compared to 0.45% (39/8716) of placebo-treated patients. In placebo-controlled studies using a fixed dose design, there was evidence of a dose response relationship for ALT and AST elevation of >3 times the upper limit of normal and >5 times the upper limit of normal, respectively.

Because it is possible that duloxetine and alcohol may interact to cause liver injury or that duloxetine may aggravate pre-existing liver disease, Cymbalta should not be prescribed to patients with substantial alcohol use or evidence of chronic liver disease.

Hi Alto

Whilst taking Cymbalta and CymGen I very rarely had any alcohol and the Psychiatrist and doctor were aware of my history of yellow jaundice. That is why I have no faith in any doctors!!!

I was looking at one your posts where you mentioned that there was no generic for Cymbalta, here is South Africa there is one called CymGen by Eli Lilly (S.A) - my liver enzymes were off the chart on CymGen..

Thank you so much for this info.

Enjoy your weekend x

No apologies necessary! We've all suffered from difficulties with these drugs.

Those definitely sound like severe withdrawal symptoms, from the cold-turkey off Cymbalta.

If Cymbalta caused liver damage -- no, definitely do NOT take Cymbalta.

That is an unusual (but very dangerous) adverse reaction. Were you taking other drugs at the same time? It sounds like there must have been a drug-drug conflict.

If Lexamil is not helping, if I were you I'd taper off it. Lexamil itself can cause anxiety and panic attacks. So can 5-HTP. Please don't stimulate your nervous system any more.

How long have you been taking Lexamil? Here's a topic about tapering off escilatopram: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Hi Alto

I was taking bromazapam and stilnox with the Cymbalta 60mg/CymGen 60.

I have been on Lexamil 10mg for 8 days, taking half a tablet for 8 days then 1 tablet once a day and when really anxious I am supposed to take 1-2 capsules when necessary twice a day of Urbanol 5mg. The Urbanol make my restless leg syndrome really worse. Taking Ativan SL 2 x 1mg helps tho.

Any ideas where to from here as I am going to see the Psychiatrist on the 14 Nov?

Thanks for all the help xx

Hi chez

Welcome to the site, I'm not experienced to advise but as you've found, alto and others are.

So sorry to hear you're having a rough time and do hope you find some relief soon

Debbie x

17 years on seroxat/paxil CT off - thought I was dying luckily found this site. 21st May 2012 12mg seroxat

Stable - Tapered Diazepam slowish.1st June 10mg Seroxat

2nd June 1mg Diazepam.15th June 9mg seroxat

2nd July Changed to 2.5[ml liquid diazepam]2mg=5ml. 16th July 2ml Liquid Diazepam

2nd August 8mg/4ml Seroxat/Paxil 2nd August 1.5 ml Diazepam

18th Aug 2012 1ml Diazepam 1st - 5th Sept 0.5

Diazepam Free!

13th Oct 7mg/3.5ml seroxat - 26 Jan 2013 3.25ml/6.5mg-Mar 3ml-April 2.7ml-May 2.5ml

01/07/14 very slow taper over the last year now on 0.5 ml of liquid Seroxat ......November 14 Seroat Free!!!!!!!

• Administrator

Hi Alto

I was taking bromazapam and stilnox with the Cymbalta 60mg/CymGen 60.

I have been on Lexamil 10mg for 8 days, taking half a tablet for 8 days then 1 tablet once a day and when really anxious I am supposed to take 1-2 capsules when necessary twice a day of Urbanol 5mg. The Urbanol make my restless leg syndrome really worse. Taking Ativan SL 2 x 1mg helps tho.

Any ideas where to from here as I am going to see the Psychiatrist on the 14 Nov?

Thanks for all the help xx

As the FDA information above indicates, apparently there were some reports of spontaneous liver damage with Cymbalta. You were one of the winners of this unlucky lottery.

If your doctor prescribed duloxetine for you knowing of your compromised liver function, you have the basis of a serious complaint against your doctor. The warnings on duloxetine are clear.

If the Urbanol makes your symptoms worse, you might go off it. How long have you been taking it? Do you take the same amount every day?

How has Lexamil affected your symptoms? If you've been on it only 8 days and a full tablet for only a couple of days, if I were you I might go down to half a tablet now in preparation for tapering off altogether.

Don't expect your doctor or psychiatrist to know anything about what you're going through, especially if this is the same ignoramus who put you on Cymbalta to begin with.

So sorry for what you've been through, Chez. Psychiatry has a lot to answer for! You're in the right place, everyone is very supportive here.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine