Food sensitivities

Dani

10 hours ago, LexAnger said:

gluten sensitivity happened to me post Valium wd, not after the prior Lexapro wd.

I did a extreme gluten free diet for 2.5 yrs and it was resolved. 

Then I got multiple covid, it came back along with histamine sensitivity.

Thanks, well at least it gives me some hope it may resolve at some point in the future. I’ve been GF for a year now.

Oct 2018 - Jun 2020: 10 mg per day generic Escitalopram in pill form.

Jul 2020 - Aug 2020: Switched to 9 mg per day of Cipralex drops to aid tapering.

Sep 2020 - Oct 2020: Taper to 8 mg.

Nov 2020 - Dec 2020: Taper to 7 mg.

Jan 2021 - Feb 2021: Taper to 6 mg.

Mar 2021 - Apr 2021: Taper to 5 mg.

May 2021 - Jun 2021: Taper to 4 mg.

Jul 2021 - Sep 2021: Taper to 3 mg.

Sep 2021 - Jan 2022: Taper to 2 mg.

Jan 2022: Stopped taking altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 8:56 PM, jon1 said:

Gluten (or possibly something gluten adjacent) has become my nemesis since quitting Escitalopram.

I saw a gastroenterologist, who performed an endoscopy. All was fine, but my stomach was inflamed.

He diagnosed gluten sensitivity, that could have been triggered by withdrawal - he said many things can start it, even common viruses.

Around 1 hour after I consume some, my heart rate shoots up, I feel light headed and dizzy, and get really, really irritable. It’s very unpleasant.

Hi @jon1

Sorry you're dealing with this, it can be so unpleasant. 

For what it's worth, I believe it's very common in WD. It happened to me, too. 

I eliminated gluten years ago and haven't really missed it, to be honest. The silver lining of discovering food sensitivities is that they're fairly straightforward to remedy via elimination, which usually brings considerable relief in a relatively short amount of time. Compared to so many other complex WD issues, many dietary interventions can be pretty straightforward. 

Good news is that it seems to have gotten much better over the years. I still avoid gluten, though I can now tolerate small quantities of organic sourdough bread. I believe this is due to a combination of my gut healing and the fact that proper sourdough is fermented, which means that all those good bacteria have pre-digested many of the problematic gluten components for us (e.g. breaking down/reducing phytic acid, starches, and sugars -- not sure about the proteins). In addition, properly fermented sourdough bread can function as a useful prebiotic to help feed our gut bacteria (raw sourdough starter has plenty of probiotics, which are killed when baked at high temperatures, and some say they still have beneficial properties on our microbiomes even though not actively technically "alive"). Just to emphasize that true, traditionally cultured sourdough bread containing gluten has a  very different effect than for example regular pasta or other non-fermented gluten-rich foodstuffs. 

All this to say I trust this will get much better for you eventually! And you're doing the right thing by avoiding gluten for now.

You probably already know that gluten is among the most common food-sensitivity inflammation culprits, incl. for otherwise healthy non-WD sufferers. Same goes for refined sugar, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, seed oils, highly processed foods, etc. In line with the principle of compound stress, the inflammatory consequences of food on a sensitive system are cumulative. It can be highly beneficial to approach it as decreasing the overall load, just as we do with stress. I don't know where you're at with nutrition in general, have you tried a systematic elimination diet? It's possible that even if gluten is indeed the key factor for you, if you're still consuming other foods that may in and of themselves not be as problematic, the relatively mild provocations of these other foodstuffs are adding up to contribute to a worse state and exacerbating the gluten issue. 

I know many of us here have experienced what a difference it can make to figure out how best to support ourselves nutritionally through WD/PAWS. The details are highly individual and can vary widely from person to person, a lot of it is trial and error. For me it's been one of those things where physically, once I locked into a way of eating that felt more compatible with my system, it was a real gift. I can't claim it necessarily fixed anything (at least not immediately) or made things a lot better; it's more like finding something that doesn't actively make things worse. And as I'm sure you can relate to, in our condition that's a major win! It's not so much about cures/treatments as it is about -- whenever, wherever -- facilitating favorable conditions for healing, setting our systems up for success so our brilliant bodies can do their miraculous, mysterious work of healing, without us getting in our own way. I will also add that, as with anything else in this process, dietary needs can change and evolve along the way, and nothing is dogma, it's all about trying to tune in and adjust as we go. 

How are things for you lately since you gave up gluten (if you did indeed eliminate it)?

Healing vibes,

Ariel

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

19 minutes ago, Ariel said:

Hi @jon1

Sorry you're dealing with this, it can be so unpleasant. 

For what it's worth, I believe it's very common in WD. It happened to me, too. 

I eliminated gluten years ago and haven't really missed it, to be honest. The silver lining of discovering food sensitivities is that they're fairly straightforward to remedy via elimination, which usually brings considerable relief in a relatively short amount of time. Compared to so many other complex WD issues, many dietary interventions can be pretty straightforward. 

Good news is that it seems to have gotten much better over the years. I still avoid gluten, though I can now tolerate small quantities of organic sourdough bread. I believe this is due to a combination of my gut healing and the fact that proper sourdough is fermented, which means that all those good bacteria have pre-digested many of the problematic gluten components for us (e.g. breaking down/reducing phytic acid, starches, and sugars -- not sure about the proteins). In addition, properly fermented sourdough bread can function as a useful prebiotic to help feed our gut bacteria (raw sourdough starter has plenty of probiotics, which are killed when baked at high temperatures, and some say they still have beneficial properties on our microbiomes even though not actively technically "alive"). Just to emphasize that true, traditionally cultured sourdough bread containing gluten has a  very different effect than for example regular pasta or other non-fermented gluten-rich foodstuffs. 

All this to say I trust this will get much better for you eventually! And you're doing the right thing by avoiding gluten for now.

You probably already know that gluten is among the most common food-sensitivity inflammation culprits, incl. for otherwise healthy non-WD sufferers. Same goes for refined sugar, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, seed oils, highly processed foods, etc. In line with the principle of compound stress, the inflammatory consequences of food on a sensitive system are cumulative. It can be highly beneficial to approach it as decreasing the overall load, just as we do with stress. I don't know where you're at with nutrition in general, have you tried a systematic elimination diet? It's possible that even if gluten is indeed the key factor for you, if you're still consuming other foods that may in and of themselves not be as problematic, the relatively mild provocations of these other foodstuffs are adding up to contribute to a worse state and exacerbating the gluten issue. 

I know many of us here have experienced what a difference it can make to figure out how best to support ourselves nutritionally through WD/PAWS. The details are highly individual and can vary widely from person to person, a lot of it is trial and error. For me it's been one of those things where physically, once I locked into a way of eating that felt more compatible with my system, it was a real gift. I can't claim it necessarily fixed anything (at least not immediately) or made things a lot better; it's more like finding something that doesn't actively make things worse. And as I'm sure you can relate to, in our condition that's a major win! It's not so much about cures/treatments as it is about -- whenever, wherever -- facilitating favorable conditions for healing, setting our systems up for success so our brilliant bodies can do their miraculous, mysterious work of healing, without us getting in our own way. I will also add that, as with anything else in this process, dietary needs can change and evolve along the way, and nothing is dogma, it's all about trying to tune in and adjust as we go. 

How are things for you lately since you gave up gluten (if you did indeed eliminate it)?

Healing vibes,

Ariel

Hello again!

Yes, I did completely eliminate gluten, just over a year ago now.

I can't say I notice much difference in how I'm feeling off gluten, but I definitely notice it if I accidentally have some or throw caution to the wind and cheat. So I'm content enough off it for now; it's certainly an extra stress my body doesn't need while it's still healing.

I think my biggest struggle at times has been my lack of comfort foods and drinks. Over the course of the last couple of years, I've quit alcohol completely, quit caffeine, and quit gluten. While all of those things are positive for my health overall, I do miss being able to reach for comfort foods once in a while, and a nice coffee in the morning when I'm feeling low.

Not seeing any benefits from needing to give up things I enjoyed hasn't helped. Hopefully, that's something that will improve with time.

Saying that, I have noticed some changes since quitting caffeine. I sleep much, much better than I have in years, and my baseline anxiety levels appear to have fallen. I did have around 2-3 months of absolute hell after stopping, though. That took some willpower!

I am holding out hope that at some stage in the future, I'll be able to treat myself again. Though I've no doubt that if I'm able to eat what I want again, I probably won't be as bothered anymore!

Oct 2018 - Jun 2020: 10 mg per day generic Escitalopram in pill form.

Jul 2020 - Aug 2020: Switched to 9 mg per day of Cipralex drops to aid tapering.

Sep 2020 - Oct 2020: Taper to 8 mg.

Nov 2020 - Dec 2020: Taper to 7 mg.

Jan 2021 - Feb 2021: Taper to 6 mg.

Mar 2021 - Apr 2021: Taper to 5 mg.

May 2021 - Jun 2021: Taper to 4 mg.

Jul 2021 - Sep 2021: Taper to 3 mg.

Sep 2021 - Jan 2022: Taper to 2 mg.

Jan 2022: Stopped taking altogether.

4 minutes ago, jon1 said:

I can't say I notice much difference in how I'm feeling off gluten, but I definitely notice it if I accidentally have some or throw caution to the wind and cheat. So I'm content enough off it for now; it's certainly an extra stress my body doesn't need while it's still healing.

Yes exactly, it helps insomuch as it doesn't actively make things worse (which may seem underwhelming, but is a benefit not to be scoffed at). 

I also find that implementing such dietary interventions can be helpful in lending us a sense of agency, which is highly valuable when faced with this chronic circumstance/process over which we have little to no control. Psychologically, finding any sense of agency is a big deal! 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp cod liver oil blend (incl. vit. A+D+E) w/ breakfast; calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

On 2/15/2023 at 4:47 AM, Estman said:

The stool was still very light and parts of undigested food could be seen.

Pale stool is caused by a lack of bile and can be a sign of many diseases.

How are you these days?

• 1995-present: on and off various antidepressants, and many changes in dose. Never tapered properly
  • 2012-present: citalopram. Steady dose of 27.5mg since July 2020
  • 2020: pregabalin for 2 months. Very bad withdrawal.
  • Current daily medications: 27.5mg citalopram. 1mg melatonin, 4mg doxazosin, 300mg docusate.
  • My intro topic

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/19/2024 at 7:29 PM, StDymphna said:

I have been off Lexapro for 3 months and a few weeks ago developed sudden a histamine intolerance, or at least that's what I believe it to be... Is this even possible that it is related to withdrawal? I didn't think Lexapro was a potent antihistamine SSRI like some other ones. Also, it didn't happen after I got off of it or when I was doing a little tapering, it just hit me all at once three months off. Is this even related to withdrawal??

Hi, I wanted to ask did Your reactions to food improved?

12.2017-02.2018 Mirtazapine - started adverse reactions after 2 months use and stopped without problems

04.2018 Amitryptyline 25mg

07.2019 Stopping Amitryptyline and starting Escitalopram 10 mg, stopping after a week and coming back to Amitryptyline

01.2020 starting Amitryptyline withdrawal, after a month of too fast tapper (from 25mg to 10mg) developed migraines, didnt connect the dots. 

02.2020 went to ER with migraine, got IV torecan and developed severe akathisia (severe restless feeling throughout the body, panic, constant fear) and landed in psych ward. 4 days on benzos, Duoleksetine for 3 days, then back on Ami 30mg. Was stable, symptom free

03.2020 coming home and started Amitryptyline withdrawal again. I wasnt aware of need of slow tappering, psych alway told me to cut in half for few days. Decided to do it slower then she recommended, but it was still too fast.Cut to 20mg when got home (so was on 30mg just a week). 

04.2020 Cut to 15mg. Felt amazing for a week, then cut to 13,5mg. Felt amazing another week. Cut to 12mg. After a week developed migraines again. Then connected dots that they are withdrawal migraines. Tried to up my doze again cause migraines were severe. Took 15 mg and got adverse reaction, akathisia came back, had jerking brain zaps all night long, didnt sleep. Next day took 12 mg again.

Since then (25.04.2020) Im on 12mg again. 

26.04.2020 added propranolol cause akathisia was too severe 10mg 2 times a day. 08.05 still on 12mg amitryptyline, upped propranolol to 10mg 3 times a day cause yesterday akatisia hit out of nowhere very severe, wanted to got o hospital afraid of my life. 31.05 goes to 11mg. 08.07 goes to 10mg. 22.07 bullyeyes rash, infected with Lyme. 20.08 goes to 9mg. 14.10 goes to 8,5mg. After hospital stay with my daughter (15.11) started feeling worse, reacting to citrus fruits with extreme weakness and panic. Getting more symptoms. 12.2 as I wasnt feeling better decided to reduce to 8mg. No change for better or worse. 23.3 started 10 mg propranolol two times a day. 30.04 reduced propr to 15 mg. 05.05 went to 7,5mg Ami. 23.06 went to 7mg Ami. 22.08 6,5mg Ami. 20.12 6mg Ami. 12.2 5,4mg Ami. Still reacting to chemicals, foods.

On 8/30/2024 at 6:44 AM, Wania said:

Hi, I wanted to ask did Your reactions to food improved?

No not yet. Still having issues, not even sure why at this point and if it directly related to my WD.

2021: Lexapro 20mg for anxiety.

March 2024: Started probiotic. Few days later, adverse reaction to Lexapro. Stopped probiotic.

15mg for two weeks. Adverse reaction each dose.

April 2024: Began Zoloft 25mg & Lexapro 10mg. 3 days of both of these taken at night with horrible reactions.

Hydroxyzine 25mg-50mg.

Stopped Zoloft and stayed on Lexapro 10mg for 3 days.

Began Zoloft 25mg again, took in the morning. Lexapro 10mg night. Adverse reaction with each drug. 3 days of this and then I stopped Zoloft.

Continued Lexapro 10mg alone for a few days.

Kindled reaction to Hydroxyzine? After I had taken it for a week, and on the third day I had taken both Zoloft and Lexapro.

Stopped Lexapro April 5th, 2024.

Histamine intolerance began? July 3rd, 2024.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy