mobyk: Lexapro Withdrawal Fatigue

mobyk

Hi,

I weaned myself off of Lexapro 10 mgs. about three weeks ago. I was on it for 20+ years. My main symptom are stomach upset and terrible, overwhelming fatigue from the moment I wake up in the morning. The exhaustion is so bad I'm thinking of reinstating. Does anyone know if the fatigue eventually passes? I really appreciate any feedback!

I was put on antidepressants and klonopin 20+ years ago after developing mild CFS.

Took Lexapro 10 mgs. for over 15 years.

Weaned myself off of klonopin 20 years ago and felt much better.

Weaned off Lexapro (over a course of three-four weeks) about five weeks ago. 

Currently I'm on Trazodone 75 mgs. and Ambien 10-15 mgs. for insomnia.

Hi mobyk! Welcome to the forum!

Sorry that you're having such a bad fatigue! I know how that feels....

How did you wean yourself off of Lexapro? Did you taper? And how fast? This is important to know because if one tapers quickly the symptoms are often worse. If you're having intolerable symptoms it might be a good choice to reinstate but I leave this to the more experienced members.

The fatigue will pass!! But it's hard to say how long it will take, for some people it resolves quickly, for others it takes more time.

The moderators will probably move your thread to the introductions forum. 

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MobyK, 

I've moved your topic to create an intro for you since you are new and more folks will see it here.  Bookmark your Intro so you can access it more easily.  By clicking Follow about, you will be notified of responses.

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

I would reinstate per the mods suggestion. Not only can your symptoms multiply the fatigue lasts awhile. I'm at 7 months and can barely walk my dog. I used to run every day prior to this mess. My reinstatement failed as I waited too long.

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

You are a long time user, like many of us here, so tapering off too quickly can leave you with protracted withdrawal that can go on for months or longer.  It would help if you could explain HOW you did your taper, what the highest dose was, how you stepped down, and what you jumped off from.  You are experiencing withdrawal symptoms.  I am going to provide you with some links to read and consider.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Fatigue is a well-known symptom but I can't say how long it will last.  Given your long history with Lexapro, I strongly urge you to consider reinstating a small dose to alleviate symptoms and then begin the 10% taper once you have stabilized.  It is much kinder to your nervous system to do this, and you will avoid a lot of suffering.

The fatigue will eventually pass, as we all heal eventually due to neuroplasticity, but there is no way to predict how long any one symptom will stick around.  

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

That topic discusses the non-linear nature of withdrawal.  It helps to understand that the symptoms will end for a time, but may return, sometimes worse later than earlier waves.  But the waves will end, and windows will come and get longer the further out you get.   The problem is, when you are experiencing Neuro Emotions it is very difficult to have perspective and be comforted by these facts!  

I'll put it this way:  If you taper off too fast, you are off the drug with a majority of the healing yet to take place, and that process can be quite slow and last a very long time.  If you reinstate and get stable and then do the 10% taper, your nervous system is healing WHILE you are tapering, such that when you finally come off, almost all of it is done with very little left to do.  The goal of the 10% taper is to keep you comfortable and functioning as you taper.

So, here are more helpful links:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

The check list is nice for recognizing withdrawal symptoms as such and keeping track of when they occur or disappear.  People tend to get frightened by the physical withdrawal symptoms, triggering health anxiety, so it helps to know what to expect up front.

So, read away and come back with questions!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I need a little help/advice.I weaned myself off of Lexapro over four weeks ago, which was probably too fast, given that I'd been on 10 mgs. for 15 years. I feel tired, drained, nauseated and suffer from stomachaches after eating. Many foods don't appeal to me, and everything I eat tastes a little off. All of these symptoms are very unpleasant but tolerable. My question is: should I ride it out, or reinstate? 

A quick note about myself: Four years ago I weaned myself off of klonopin. It was hell, but I ended up feeling MUCH better. I'm hoping that being Lexapro free will also ultimately make me feel better.

I was put on antidepressants and klonopin 20+ years ago after developing mild CFS.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Moby, 

I merged your topic from symptoms and self-care because it relates to what you already wrote in your Intro, and we answered you on these questions here.  It may be that you couldn't find your Intro topic again?  It would help to bookmark your Intro so you can find it more easily.

If you could read through what we have all written above, as well as fill out your signature block, that would be great.

You were lucky to get through your klonopin withdrawal, but that may have set you up to have a much harder time coming off Lexapro, especially with 15 years of use behind you.  Withdrawal has a way of building over the course of months for some, getting worse further out rather than better.  

SG

SG

Thanks SG. I read all of the comments above, and I really don't know what to do. When you say that withdrawal can get worse further out, does that imply that my symptoms could be permanent? In other words, is it possible that I'll feel awful forever? Or does everyone eventually heal? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Moby, 

No, there's no implication there that any of this will be permanent, but the argument for reinstatement is that having come off too fast means most of the healing has yet to be done, and that means things can get worse before they get better.  Since you have only been off for a short time, four weeks, by reinstating a smaller amount than you jumped off from, you could alleviate a lot of the withdrawal discomfort, avoid it building, and do a 10% taper off that amount which would be the best hope for keeping you comfortable and functional as you come off.

If you could tell us HOW you tapered down from your 10 mg, over what period of time and by what increments, that would help us.  How much did you make your cuts by, and how long did you stay at each cut?

We all want off the "poison" as quickly as possible, but the nervous system is the final say in how realistic that is.  By doing the slow taper, you are healing AS you taper so that when you finally come off, there's very little left to be done AND you remain functional along the way.  Cold turkey and fast tapers mean the healing must be done AFTER you come off, and that means lots of symptoms which can get very severe.

This is not permanent.  If you haven't watched this video yet, it is very helpful in describing withdrawal and pertains more to what is happening when you come off meds too fast.  Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

With slow tapering, the changes are so small as to cause small perturbations that may mean a few days of mild, tolerable symptoms per each cut.  Some of us do 5% every two weeks to keep the symptoms even less noticeable.

Rhiannon's description is also really helpful:  Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

SG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I reinstated to 5 mgs. Lexapro after tapering too fast. My only real symptom is overwhelming fatigue. I wonder if this will improve or can this be permanent.

Thank you for your input.

Edited by KarenB
Moved from symptoms forum

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Moby,

As previously suggested, please put all questions which are specific to your own situation into this Intro thread. 

The fatigue will gradually improve, just as any other symptoms do.  You can do things like check your iron levels, which can sometimes be an issue. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and advice! I've been back on 5 mgs. of Lexapro for almost two weeks. Most of my withdrawal symptoms have subsided except for the heavy fatigue. It really helps to hear from others that things will get better.

SG, thanks for the links you provided. They were very helpful. In your post, you asked how quickly I tapered off my 15 years of Lexapro (mostly 10 mgs but occassionally 15 mgs). What happened was I'd been generally feeling stressed and unwell for the past couple of years. I want to my psychiatrist who who said my Lexapro had "pooped out" and quickly weaned me off of Lexapro (under two weeks) and onto a new SSRI called Brintellix. My psychiatrist said I wouldn't have Lexapro withdrawals because of the Brintellix. I took the Brintellix for about six weeks and hated it. (It gave me stomach problems, nausea, headaches, etc.) On my own I decided to taper off the Brintellix over about a week or so. At that point (six weeks ago) I was on no SSRI. Then all of the my withdrawal symptoms hit: no brain zaps but stomach pain, weepiness, dark, gloomy feelings and fatigue.

I'm 56 years old. When I was 30 I came down with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which has almost completely gone away. But while I had it, it was pure hell. Klonopin withdrawal was also hell. As uncomfortable as this Lex withdrawal is, I know I've been through worse. I really would like to be completely off of this stuff, but I'm not sure when I should start my taper again from 5 mgs.

Thanks again for reading this!

I had to tapper quite fast in the beginning and my main symptom was severe fatigue. I am much better now...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

Hi Moby,

I've been tapering off Lexapro for 8 months and just stopped. Fatigue has been the main withdrawal symptom all the way through, so much so that I don't think I've talked about it much. I just took it for granted that every time I changed my dosage I'd have deep fatigue. But it does get better. I can't really advise about reinstating, I don't know enough about the chemistry of it for that, but my fatigue always fades eventually. If you can, take as much time as you can to rest and don't force yourself to do too much when you're fatigued. I find I get over a fatigue bump more easily if I can take the time to get plenty of sleep and not work myself too hard.

Intro thread

Been taking escitalopram (10mg) for one year.

10 November 2015 - went down to 5mg on doctor's advice but found it too sharp and went back up to 10mg

28 November 2015 - down to 9mg

18 December 2015 - 8mg

8 January 2016 - 7.2 mg

22 January 2016 - 6.5 mg

Continued reducing 10% every 3-6 weeks depending on additional symptoms. Stopped getting reactions to reduction in doses below 1mg. Last dose at 0.2 mg.

27 July 2016 - stopped taking it altogether

Thanks Cupcake! I really appreciate that, and I'm so glad you're doing better. I'm feeling a tiny bit less fatigued but I'm a little depressed. 

Congrats on getting off of Lexapro. I'm holding steady at 5 mgs. for now. I do think I came off way too fast.

I had to tapper quite fast in the beginning and my main symptom was severe fatigue. I am much better now...

Likewise....it knocked me for six I can tell you in the beginning, but I am not affected by it so much now other than wanting to get to bed on time.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 8 months later...

Hi mobyk how are you doing ?

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)