GiaK

Ode to Alto Strata: Surviving antidepressants (and psychiatric drugs in general)

22 posts in this topic

posted on Beyond Meds first 

When people ask me where they should go for support and advice when coming off psychiatric medications I always refer them to Surviving Antidepressants, a site that not only gives grounded and safe information about withdrawing from SSRIs, but also supports people in coming off any and all psychiatric medications.

The site is run by Alto Strata who has often shared the articles she’s written for the withdrawal board’s members with Beyond Meds. These articles make for a very fine collection on withdrawal with very many of the most important issues underscored in very accessible terms.

Those of us who’ve spent hundreds of hours with thousands of people coming off drugs still have the most reliable information available for the time being. This is an instance in which “peers” simply have more information than anyone else. Not only have we lived it but we’ve watched many others do the same. Alto Strata has been doing this for many years and has amassed a knowledge base that is truly impressive.

Alto Strata also became a dear and valued friend and there was a phase of recovery, once I could again speak on the phone, that without her help I cannot imagine having made it. I am profoundly grateful to Alto Strata who not only helped me as a friend and peer but who has helped thousands of others. She is very much-loved on her withdrawal board. She is one of the many warriors in this “business” who has worked 1000s of hours for little or no compensation. Most of us go unthanked and often unrecognized.

Today I wanted to thank Alto Strata publicly for all the great work she’s done and continues to do. Without people like Alto Strata many folks would simply not get the help they need to free themselves from these drugs. A lot of people find themselves in situations and environments where other help is simply not available. For those folks Surviving Antidepressants and other boards like it are literally life lines.

Alto’s withdrawal board is one of the best I’ve encountered in all the years I’ve been involved in this work.

Here are a collection of her articles and work on Beyond Meds:

If you or someone you know needs a place to learn safer withdrawal methods for all psychiatric drugs the website is here: Surviving Antidepressants

I’ve not kept up with other boards in the last several years. Often different boards have different cultures so it’s worth shopping around and finding one or more you are comfortable with. I share some info on finding support in general here: Online support in withdrawal

*it is potentially dangerous to come off medications without careful planning. Please be sure to be well-educated before undertaking any sort of discontinuation of medications. Do not assume your MD will know how to do it either. They are generally not trained in discontinuation and may not know how to recognize withdrawal issues. A lot of withdrawal issues are misdiagnosed to be psychiatric problems This is why it’s good to educate oneself and find a doctor who is willing to learn with you. See: Psychiatric drug withdrawal and protracted withdrawal syndrome round-up

Well deserved kudos.

Totally agree.   I will be on a site talking about WD and starting thinking that Alto needs to see this.  Then when I start reading the comments, I see she has already visited.  :)    She is simply amazing.

:) much gratitude for your work

Thank you Alto and all the staff at SA, this site is a lifeline to many of us!

Totally agree.   I will be on a site talking about WD and starting thinking that Alto needs to see this.  Then when I start reading the comments, I see she has already visited.  :)    She is simply amazing.

I found her posts all over the internet too that always makes me smile :) 

I have been reading her posts and trying to understand her words since 2008 I thought about this for a bit of time and suspected I would have more to say then THANK YOU ALTO! these words are the best so far. :)

Well deserved praise and recognition for tireless campaigning for change and improvement.

Many thanks and long may you continue!

x

Thank you Alto and all the staff at SA, this site is a lifeline to many of us!

Yup, kudos to the staff also.   Best darn group of moderators I have experienced.

Thank you, everyone, and Gia!

Thank you Alto, I wouldn't have made it this far without you!

the video of alto speaking at the occupy protest had me in absolute tears. what a show of strength! i am so thankful for all of her efforts. this site, and all who frequent it, provide a rare support net for a syndrome that is so often inflicted, and nearly never addressed in its aftermath, by the pharmaceutical/medical establishment.

thank you, alto! we find this beacon of hope and strength when we are at absolute rock-bottom, or plummeting to it rather quickly. and we find the tools and support we need to slowly and cautiously lift ourselves, and one another, upward.

kudos! 

dave

Thankyou so much, Alto.

Wow thanks for this post.

Alto's writing is just brilliant.

Thank you to GiaK and Alto for the tremendous work you both do.

Thank you all.

Wow, such a great post, GiaK!

I feel honored 'seeing' Alto in the Vedio of her speech!

Sincerely I feel alto should get the Nobel prize for her humanity and her pioneer and intensive research on Ssri Withdrawal!

Thanks for saving so many lives everyday, Alto!

Love

I used to think there was no way I was going to be able to continue my beloved stone sculpture and other sculpture.  I had been so sick for so long and wanted death more than art or life, (art is life to me but anyway...).  I started looking around the web and found this website and started reading the posts.  it's been about 2 years of back and forth with conventional psychiatric medicine practitioners trying to convince me that I'm really in need of their services and drugs for my "chemical imbalance."  I recently said "no thanks" to their plan for me.

I'm still on some meds because, as we all know, you can't just quit once you've started.  I'm diligent about my taper now.  The rest of my health has become a top priority because it is all inextricably linked.  MY OPTIMISM and HOPE that, yes, there will be more art and, no, I don't have to suffer is due, in large part, to this website.  No one else around me is speaking up.  So I'm going to take this spark of knowledge that Alto has spread and see to it that I share it with as many people who will listen!  

A deep and heartfelt thank you, Alto  :) 

I have done the tour of every website, forum, and online group I could find, and this is by far the best site on coming off these very dangerous drugs. 

Thank you so much, Alto, and all of the mods and admins. Your hard work is very much appreciated.  smileys-thanks-771216.gif

Great post GiaK!

I am deeply grateful to Alto Strata; she and the staff here are helping lives and mine.

THANK YOU

I am new to this website and to AD withdrawal. As I searched around for some sort of information and help with what was happening to me I kept finding myself on this website and I kept reading articles by Altostrata. The more I read the more impressed, and informed, I became. I can't thank you enough for this website and the help that you have given to me and so many others.

Thank you to all the other moderators for your time and energy as well. This site has been a life line. 

Yes, great post.

Ode to Alto Strata and this site!!!!

As well as to Gia K. for getting me here......... and all she has written, and communicated and shared, for us all.

And all the moderators.

All of you above........that you take the time and use your wisdom and ask for nothing in return........your patience..........and.......well yes, we can donate to the sites..........and yes, our healing journeys and successes along the way hopefully make it worth your while.

Love,  Gratitude,

Many More Todays

Thank you Alto!!!!! We will all get through this!!!!